Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > General
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #31
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima View Post

You have GOT to be kidding me?! If I were her, I'd never show my face in public again. If it really is her, that is.

Do you think God ever gets tired of all the loonies "finding" him again ? Like, maybe he made them loony to get away from them in the first place?

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #32
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiwawa View Post
Oh, I believe you! I'm glad this stuff isn't around as much, these days.
It's around - you just need to be part of a more "current" fandom. In particular, I think the "Supernatural" fandom wank spats rival some of the most spectacular Whedonverse wanks. And before that, there was some glorious stuff to be found in the Harry Potter world, especially right after Book 6 was released. There was also an awful lot of Veronica Mars wank a few years ago, especially between the LoVe contingent and the Donut brigade. Shipping (ewwwww!) brings out the best (worst?) wank - it's as reliable as death and taxes.

Wank never dies... it just moves on and takes on a new form.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #33
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Lorne View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me?! If I were her, I'd never show my face in public again. If it really is her, that is.
Oh, I have no question it's her. I mentioned knowing her when she was just a young wanker in Voyager fandom? She references something in that long rambling craziness from those early days and very few people were aware of it let alone would remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
Oh em GEE yeah. Plagiarism wank only gets more delicious when it involves someone who's made money off their bad fiction. And the latest post kills. Ripping off Henry Wadsworth Longfellow?
I confess, when I look at that reference PDF that Smart Bitches put together, I'm just utterly appalled that Edwards didn't just get away with this a couple of times, it looks like she's been doing it going back decades over her entire career. I don't think I've ever seen such a blatant case in my entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
It's around - you just need to be part of a more "current" fandom.
Yup. Fandom Wank wouldn't be as active as it is if there was no wank and I have yet to see a fandom immune from it.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara

Last edited by Prima; 01-24-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #34
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

I checked out F_W's Harry Potter Archive of Wank. Over 400 entries o_O Not even Star Wars garnered that much!

But I found Harmonian wank.

And more Ducks. Because, hey, I'm still sad
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #35
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima View Post
I confess, when I look at that reference PDF that Smart Bitches put together, I'm just utterly appalled that Edwards didn't just get away with this a couple of times, it looks like she's been doing it going back decades over her entire career.
It's pretty stunning, especially considering she ripped off everything and everyone from obscure academic papers to nature magazine articles to a co-founder of the Boy Scouts of America to a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel to FREAKIN' HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW AND A POEM EVERY FREAKIN' AMERICAN MIDDLE SCHOOLER KNOWS VIRTUALLY BY HEART.

For me, the truly alarming part is that no editor ever seems to have caught this. But hey, the Googles haven't been around as long as Cassie Edwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird811 View Post
I checked out F_W's Harry Potter Archive of Wank. Over 400 entries o_O Not even Star Wars garnered that much!
The only thing that rivals HP wank is Lord of the Rings wank, although Smallville wank gave it the old college try for a few years. I have to dig up the F_W posts on the year-long (at least) flame war between LotR fans and Chicago enthusiasts. (Yes, you read that right. "My fandom has more Oscars than yours!" That was it, pretty much. Exquisitely immature, and as such will be enjoyed for years to come.)

ETA: Oooh, I nearly forgot about the wanking SUPERPOWERS of the Roswell 'shippers (eeeeeewww!) I'll try to find the wank in which the fans of the incredibly boring and poorly acted main couple tried to get one of the show's actresses deported -- deported -- because her character was a threat to the UNSTOPPABLE TU' NUB!!one1! To this day, whenever I need an example of "crazy as a shithouse rat," I go back to them.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #36
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

The Chicago fandom? :O

ETA: Sorry, was too busy boggling, but there's new wank. Doctor Who wank. It's on the very top, but just in case someone isn't checking. It's pretty funny.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #37
tojoson

I'm putting this in various threads to catch more people.

A REMINDER

Watch CC on 'Big Shots' tonight.

It's the last (???) show.

If you miss it, then
"Luucee, you got some splainin to do"
Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #38
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
ETA: Oooh, I nearly forgot about the wanking SUPERPOWERS of the Roswell 'shippers (eeeeeewww!) I'll try to find the wank in which the fans of the incredibly boring and poorly acted main couple tried to get one of the show's actresses deported -- deported -- because her character was a threat to the UNSTOPPABLE TU' NUB!!one1! To this day, whenever I need an example of "crazy as a shithouse rat," I go back to them.
You have GOT to be kidding me. They tried to get her deported? I thought that only happened in the soap fandoms. No really, its happened a couple of times. Or at least, I've heard stories of it a couple of times.

I swear that if F_W people trolled soap boards and communities, they would be able to start a whole new comm called Soap_Wank or something. LOL
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #39
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me. They tried to get her deported? I thought that only happened in the soap fandoms. No really, its happened a couple of times. Or at least, I've heard stories of it a couple of times.
I'm pretty sure that the FREAKIN' LOONBAR Badly Acted Couple enthusiast -- they called themselves "Dreamers," if memory serves -- was inspired, if one can call it that, by a case from soap fandom. "Ohemgee, Emilie de Raven is from Australia so we can COMPLETELY SCREW WITH HER!!! The American immigration system RULZ0RS!!11!" Except for that tiny detail about being here legally. That sucked.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #40
Emmangel
Administrator

Oh dear, I'd forgotten all about the Roswell fandom. I seem to recall I was mainly using mailing lists in the days of season 1, but did also frequent Fanforum. It could get pretty heated over there and there was indeed a lot of Tess/EDR hate. Not a happy place as I recall.

Of course Roswell for me will forever be tarnished due to it being my first introduction to ship names. What with it’s Outsiders, Rebels, Cliffhangers & Dreamers. I'm sure others picked up on this 'wonderful' idea because of them.

It has a lot to answer for. A LOT.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #41
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
I swear that if F_W people trolled soap boards and communities, they would be able to start a whole new comm called Soap_Wank or something. LOL
For those of us old enough to remember usenet, I am pretty sure that the most vicious and earliest online flame wars were started in newsgroups devoted to soaps. Some of that stuff was UGLY.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #42
Kit

Quote:

Oooooh...please do tell. As an aside, do you know that Sarah Brown (Orignial Carly) is coming back to GH and she will not be playing Carly? I heard she's gonna play a mobster or something and she's gonna sleep with Sonny. The wank potential here is limitless!

I read the whole Msscribe thing last night. 5 years?!?!!? Its the wank that keeps on...well, wanking. Unlike the whole VB saga, which is ridiculously funny, this one is just scary. Talk about sociopathic! If she can do this online, think of what she can do in real life? *shudder*

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #43
Livvie
nutcase

I am a member of a message board devoted to pop culture and the wank and flame wars about soaps got so bad that the webmaster removed the soap forum and banned soap threads period. If you start a soap thread, you get banned and the thread gets deleted.

It always gets bad when the CarSons are involved (Carly and Sonny). For a while, it was impossible to go to the ABC Soap Boards (when Sam came on the show) because of the CarSons. They would threaten anyone who wasn't a CarSon and come up with all sorts of names for Kelly Monaco (who played Sam). They trolled her official message board and went after a few of the SamSon (Sam and Sonny) supporters there. (Sound familiar? One shipping group trolling another one's boards?)

I guess when Nancy Lee Grahn's char (Alexis) was sleeping with Sonny, she got the same treatment. But her fans are a whole other batch. When her character was pregnant, they sent baby baskets, blankets, formula, etc. FOR A FICTIONAL BABY! I think she went so far as to plead with them in Soap Opera Digest to stop and please give them to needy real children.

And about every couple of months or so there is a letter writing campaign or sending balloons or candy or whatever. That always ends in wank. Because it is almost always shipper based. That is why I stay faaaaar away from any sort of shipping when it comes to soaps. I am just happy if my fave characters are on screen and not dying of rare viruses.

I mostly know all about GH wank because that is my primarly soap after Port Charles was cancelled. I don't remember much wank about PC aside from the sense of entitlement of "OMFG! THEY CANCELLED OUR SHOW!!111!! WE WANT A FINALE!!111!! GIVE US!!11!!"
Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #44
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
And about every couple of months or so there is a letter writing campaign or sending balloons or candy or whatever. That always ends in wank. Because it is almost always shipper based.
Isn't shipping on soaps a bit redundant? I mean, sooner or later everyone sleeps with everyone so you'll never NOT get a ship. Well, except for me..I always wanted V and Jax on GH to get together. Of course, most people don't even remember V she was a blip on the screen during the Jax/Lois/Ned and Jax/Brenda/Sonny triangles (a good 10-12 years ago).

Speaking of Roswell fandom, didn't the Max/Lix shippers go nut when Katherine Heigel and Jason Behr started dating?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #45
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Oh, here's fun -- let's file this under "When Snacky Attacks"...a brutal, brutal beatdown of an over-the-top and oddly familiar Supernatural wank:

"Oh, there's no MISOGYNY in fandom..." (or "Your kinks are sooooo much sicker than mine, even though at least one of them is like, exactly the same").