Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
v120176

DB on a Star Trek movie?

Several sites are posting information about DB being a candidate for the new tripulation of Star Trek "The Beginning"
Quote:
Another source of Star Trek news, CanMag, has their own scoop on Trek XI. They think Star Trek: Academy is another title under consideration, and that they might in fact give Enterprise’s T’Pol an important part in the story. According to CanMag, the movie would be about the early days of Starfleet Academy - a story idea that has been discussed in previous Star Trek reports. The same source also says that David Boreanaz, who starred in the TV series Angel, might be up for a part. However, the CanMag report must be treated as rumor for now; some details seem to conflict with Dreamwatch’s interview with Jendresen.
Full articule here: http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=11065

And this message to Whedon.info
Quote:
Anyway - long story, short. They’re looking for a troupe of twenty-thirty something’s for the film - which won’t be cast until mid next year at the earliest - and one of the names doing the rounds is "Angel" star David Boreanaz. He apparently tested for something else at Paramount earlier on - and he’s being "kept on the books" for this Trek film. I imagine, as some kind of Starfleet Officer Good-Guy. Could come off, might not - but thought Whedon-fans would be interested to know
Full message here http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=11116
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I'd be surprised if we got another ST movie anytime soon. The laster TNG movie wasn't a blockbuster by any means and didn't prove to Paramount that it could draw in an audience beyond Trekkies.

What would the movie be about? ST:E wasn't a huge success, in fact it turned away many of the die hard trek fans, to my knowledge. I also can't see a movie based on the Star Fleet Academy novels.

I don't know I'm a ST fan and I think they need to settle down for a bit and come back with something really good and new. I'm not sure I even want a DS9 movie and I loved that show.

However, I'm sure Prima or someone else on this board has more insight into the ST status. I could be utterly wrong about the chances for another movie.

Last edited by Morrigan; 09-02-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
tojoson

you can go

here

to see what the Dreamwatch article is talking about

a star Trek in between Enterprise and the original with no characters common to eather

i think that if they are just starting the process now, it will probably be about 2 or more years till the movie would be released,
by then people may be READY for another movie (with no weekly series to slake people's thirst for all things trek
Old 09-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

I think STAR TREK went to the well too many times. And the problem was that UPN was terrified to be on the air without a STAR TREK show. So, they premiered VOYAGER soon after DS9 started. Then ENTERPRISE started the season after VOYAGER went off the air. That's not to mention the steady stream of books, movies, comics, etc. I think fans had kind of overdosed on the franchise by the time ENTERPRISE came along. No, to many people, it wasn't the best Trek ever. But I think it suffered from that over-saturation.

It does feel a little too soon for a new movie. But I think Paramount can't help themselves. Trek is a huge franchise, and I don't think they can stand to let it rest even long enough to let the fans build up some excitement and anticipation for new Trek.

But I'll tell you what. If a new movie did come out, and really blew everyone's minds, I could see it resurrecting fan interest.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue
But I'll tell you what. If a new movie did come out, and really blew everyone's minds, I could see it resurrecting fan interest.
True, but this is an odd movie and we all know that only the even Trek movies rock

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be interested in a ST movie that didn't have characters I was a familiar with. Then again, I could be alone in thinking that. I haven't really liked a ST show since DS9 went off the air. I hated Voyager and while I did like Enterprise it just wasn't Must See TV for me.

If they do anything I really think it should be set in the TNG/DS9/Voyager timeline. If not there are too many ways to F up the storyline. I wouldn't mind a movie based on the Peter David Series, New Frontiers...except get rid of the Shelby character, I never liked her on TNG.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
DamnSkippy

I guess I'm kind of an odd fowl (can't say *duck* anymore), but I'm ready for something new. I only watched Enterprise for the first season and then lost interest, so I've been without any ST for 4 or 5 years now. I'd like to see a new spin - a whole new cast. I was excited when Enterprise started even though it turned out very disappointing. But it doesn't stop me from hoping that the next ST venture will be very good. So this movie, which would probably still be a few years off if it's made, seems like pretty good timing to me. Not enough years so that people have totally given up on the franchise, and just enough to have the sting of Enterprise not on the forefront of everyone's minds.

Last edited by DamnSkippy; 09-03-2005 at 07:02 PM.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy
I guess I'm kind of a odd fowl (can't say *duck* anymore), but I'm ready for something new. I only watched Enterprise for the first season and then lost interest, so I've been without any ST for 4 or 5 years now.
Well then I guess I techincally havent had any good ST for the past 12 or so. TNG was and still is my all time favorite incarnation of the franchise. I just couldn't get into DS9 and while Voyager was okay, I could probably count the number of episodes that I've seen on both hands and still have a few fingers left over. We did watch Enterprise on a very hit and miss basis, but that was more because of a friend who forced us to watch whenever he was over than any love for the show.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new movie, but I just can't see it happening this soon. Even a couple of years down the road seems too quick.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

I was lucky in the order that I watched Trek. I started on a couple of odd episodes of TNG, then Voyager was my first real Trek series. Then I watched TNG and have now just finished watching my last batch of DS9 episodes. I've got a fondness for Voyager, but you can plainly see how it suffered in comparison to Deep Space 9 and TNG. DS9 had the great plots and continuity, TNG had the great characters.

As for Enterprise and TOS, I find them watchable enough. I think a new movie would be good, and even a possible way to launch a new series. A Star Trek movie without any ties in a television series could even get more non-trekkies to go see it.

If I had to choose, I'd like it set in TNG/DS9/VOY timeline. I always think of their time running parallel with ours, and we're missing out on so much...

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

After sitting in on a Trek panel this weekend, I can tell you that just the idea of this movie is not being recieved at all well.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian
After sitting in on a Trek panel this weekend, I can tell you that just the idea of this movie is not being recieved at all well.
What did they have to say? I'd be interested in knowing. And did you make it to the Trek panel at comic-con? We wanted to go, but it just wasn't do-able.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:59 AM   #11
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Lorne
What did they have to say? I'd be interested in knowing. And did you make it to the Trek panel at comic-con? We wanted to go, but it just wasn't do-able.
No, I completely missed it at Comic con too. The main fear for this movie is that because it's going to be set at the acadamy it's just going to be full of kids and that's something they really don't want to see. They understood that Rodenberry's vision of Star Trek was changing and they want it back in the hands of people who really know their shit when it comes to Trek and who can make it relevent. There was also a great panel where it was discussed along side the new Battlestar, but I can't remember all of it. Emma might have notes from that one! (?)
Old 09-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #12
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian
The main fear for this movie is that because it's going to be set at the acadamy it's just going to be full of kids and that's something they really don't want to see.
So they don't want a boat load of Wesley Crushers? I get that, even though I wasn't a "Die Wes, Die!" er.

I really can't see a movie based at the Academy though. What if it turned into "Saved By The Bell" in outer space? Nope, not my cuppa.

I hope Emma did take notes at the BSG/ST panel. I'd be interested in the ST bunch trying to explain why they couldn't pull it together like BSG did, against way fewer odds. The ST fandom has such a solid core, where as the BSG one was so fragmented that I never thought it would be possible for it to become the hit that it has.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 AM   #13
argel
beloved cordelia

No!!! Leave T'Pol alone! Don't drag her into this mess. I forbid it!

Sorry, now that that kneejerk reaction is overwith, can I just say...BWAH. Not likely. I think after the "Enterprise" cancellation fiasco and piece of sh*t "series finale," Paramount will let Star Trek take a break for a while. Most average people who had an interest in Star Trek before are burned out on the franchise now. It needs to rest, and Paramount/Viacom should understand that. As for DB, he may have tested for something or other, but it really doesn't mean anything conclusive at this point. Star Trek XI will probably remain at the "rumored" stage for a long time, and by the time anything solidifies, DB will either be too old, or will have moved on, or they won't want him anymore.

Meh.

***argel***
Team Cordy™ #17
Charisma's Bitch #17
The Place of Blue

Not a Color, But a State of Mind

Lisa: Wait, Xena can't fly!
Lucy Lawless: I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless!
Lisa: Oh.
argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #14
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by argel
No!!! Leave T'Pol alone! Don't drag her into this mess. I forbid it!
Heh. So no commentary that about her other nickname "Boobs on a Stick" then?

Quote:
Sorry, now that that kneejerk reaction is overwith, can I just say...BWAH. Not likely. I think after the "Enterprise" cancellation fiasco and piece of sh*t "series finale," Paramount will let Star Trek take a break for a while.
Oddly enough, I think the movie part may be a possibility.

Despite my usual opinions (aside: I stopped watching Star Trek during the last craptastical season of Voyager and caught only one shatty episode of Enterprise), I think people, for the most part, were at least optimistic on the turn around with Manny Coto...and Paramount may be willing to give him (or someone else) a chance at a movie, especially considering the drek series finale that Braga and Berman put out and that MC was set aside for. I think it points evidence that it isn't the Trek universe in itself that was the problem but the walking freakin' egos that were involved.

That being said, I have no real commentary on DB being tapped for a movie but I guess it's a possibility. I could argue for and against either way.

There's something to be said about the fact that he could bring a core genre fanbase to the table that may not have been there before.

On the other hand, the William "F'n" Shatner comparisons beg to be giggled over.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #15
argel
beloved cordelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
Despite my usual opinions (aside: I stopped watching Star Trek during the last craptastical season of Voyager and caught only one shatty episode of Enterprise), I think people, for the most part, were at least optimistic on the turn around with Manny Coto...and Paramount may be willing to give him (or someone else) a chance at a movie, especially considering the drek series finale that Braga and Berman put out and that MC was set aside for. I think it points evidence that it isn't the Trek universe in itself that was the problem but the walking freakin' egos that were involved.
That is a very good point. I think you're absolutely right. Berman and Braga really screwed up the franchise, but I really enjoyed what Manny Coto brought (back) to it.

Quote:
That being said, I have no real commentary on DB being tapped for a movie but I guess it's a possibility. I could argue for and against either way.

There's something to be said about the fact that he could bring a core genre fanbase to the table that may not have been there before.
Huh. Never thought about that before. It would be an interesting way to bridge the gap between the sci-fi cult fans and the BtVS/AtS/Xena etc. fantasy cult fans. Hmm.

***argel***
Team Cordy™ #17
Charisma's Bitch #17
The Place of Blue

Not a Color, But a State of Mind

Lisa: Wait, Xena can't fly!
Lucy Lawless: I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless!
Lisa: Oh.
argel is offline   Reply With Quote