Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #31
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

This show is seriously hard to watch while snacking.

I'm kinda not blaming Lori and Shane too much either. I'd also want to know the circumstances of how they got out of town first, like whether or not Lori was all about not leaving if Rick was still alive or what. After all, it is pretty much unrealistic that Rick would have actually survived, what with the lying there being a buffet table and all. Taking ComaRick with them wouldn't have been a great decision either, so it's a true 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.

And I sympathize with Shane beating the crap out of Eddie. There are certain things that you just do not do, ever.

But I have to wonder how come all these ignorant cracker rednecks made it out alive. And was the helicopter really there in Atlanta or not?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #32
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
But I have to wonder how come all these ignorant cracker rednecks made it out alive. And was the helicopter really there in Atlanta or not?
Might be a stereotype but I'm guessing their survival is based on owning guns/weapons, having survival/hunting skills and a big ass truck.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
DamnSkippy

Quote:
But I have to wonder how come all these ignorant cracker rednecks made it out alive.
Just because they're rednecks doesn't mean they're stupid. They've survived despite not being rich and having access to health care, so I'm thinkin' they've got a leg up on survival skills.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #34
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Might be a stereotype but I'm guessing their survival is based on owning guns/weapons, having survival/hunting skills and a big ass truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
Just because they're rednecks doesn't mean they're stupid. They've survived despite not being rich and having access to health care, so I'm thinkin' they've got a leg up on survival skills.
Both good points. It's just sad to think the zombie apocalypse will be survived by the cavemen and not the astronauts.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #35
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Both good points. It's just sad to think the zombie apocalypse will be survived by the cavemen and not the astronauts.
Maybe we just haven't met any of the astronauts yet.

Just chiming in to say I am really enjoying this show, gory intestines and all.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #36
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Maybe we just haven't met any of the astronauts yet.
I thought Rick was supposed to be an astronaut?

Just wondering about it is all. It's looking like they've stuck this group together for no other reason than to have them at odds all the time. BSG did that, and it always puzzled me how humanity could go from 12 worlds with billions of people to 50,000 people and still not be able to get along.

I mean, I get it; zombies are just there waiting to be killed and the only real danger is their number. There's no subtlety to be exploited in conflict with them, so you need someone to be the antagonist, but you know, why your neighbor?

But I'm done with the tl;dr. Me likey series too.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #37
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
There's no subtlety to be exploited in conflict with them, so you need someone to be the antagonist, but you know, why your neighbor?
To quote the great Tommy Lee Jones in "MIB": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

When stressed, many people (particularly people in large groups) behave badly. When they are also scared, grieving and fighting for survival, it's even worse. I'd like to believe that better angels will prevail, but I think most post-apocalyptic fiction is working from a premise that's not too far off the mark.

I really like the Rick character and think we're meant to view him as a decent person, but also as an exception to the rule. For ever good samaritan who will stop and help someone in trouble, even at risk to his/her own life, there are plenty of otherwise decent people who just look away and keep on walking if there's any risk to them in becoming involved. And if you were a wife-beater before the Zombie Apocalypse (and let's face it, there are plenty of abusive spouses around), you're not likely to stop when you're in a high-stress situation - you'll probably get worse.

I don't care too much for Shane (not because he's sleeping with Lori, but just because he seems like an arrogant bully), but needless to say I had no problem with him wiping the dirt with Ed. Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #38
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
I thought Rick was supposed to be an astronaut?

Just wondering about it is all. It's looking like they've stuck this group together for no other reason than to have them at odds all the time. BSG did that, and it always puzzled me how humanity could go from 12 worlds with billions of people to 50,000 people and still not be able to get along.
I've decided that when the ZA happens all of the astronauts, rocket scientist and overall Shledon Cooper's of the world will be locked up in a huge super-protected underground facility (or secret lair) waiting for the Zombies and Darwin Award's Candidates to ultimately kill each other off, before emerging to create a new and better society.

Quote:
Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape.
Killing him first of course, b/c otherwise that's just cruel..leaving him to die from the fall or get eaten alive by zombies...I'd have been merciful and shot him before throwing him off the building
Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #39
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
To quote the great Tommy Lee Jones in "MIB": A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
Thing about dumb animals is they can be corralled. Mostly people are sheep. They don't want to be, and they'll argue they aren't, but just watch all those people stand still for invasive personal searches to avoid the one in 80 million chance of a terrorist attack and try to tell me they aren't. Corralled sheep aren't that dangerous. They're mostly zombie-like.

But we will never know what will happen until the zombie apocalypse actually hits, and by then internet access will likely be too spotty for a solid round of 'told ya so'.

Quote:
I'd like to believe that better angels will prevail, but I think most post-apocalyptic fiction is working from a premise that's not too far off the mark.
Yeah, it's the more dramatic premise, so it's going to win. Even in that great American novel, The Stand, supernatural forces of good had to contend with Harold and Nadine.

I only picked on BSG 'cause they were literally astronauts, whether they liked it or not. SG:U does the same sort of thing, even though their infighting negatively affects them directly. Even more astronauts who miss the point, I guess.

Quote:
I don't care too much for Shane (not because he's sleeping with Lori, but just because he seems like an arrogant bully)...
Yeah? I mean, he was Rick's friend as well as his partner. I'd not think the birds are that differently feathered.

Quote:
Then again, I might not have just left Merle Dixon on the roof - I might have advocated tossing him over the side to better create a feeding distraction so the rest of us could escape.
TJ(?) is also an astronaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I've decided that when the ZA happens all of the astronauts, rocket scientist and overall Shledon Cooper's of the world will be locked up in a huge super-protected underground facility (or secret lair) waiting for the Zombies and Darwin Award's Candidates to ultimately kill each other off, before emerging to create a new and better society.
Who will eventually get around to collecting all those wonderful toys in all those wonderful military installations...

See? Now I'm doing it.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #40
Syn
insane clown girl

I really liked this episode. I really didn't see any of this coming either. I was completely shocked when the walkers attacked the camp at the end. I didn't see Amy getting bitten and killed at all. I probably should have though.

I'm not hating Darryl as much as I thought I might. He's redneck asshole, but at least he can be reasonable and he can work with others. Unlike his brother. I wonder where Merle is? I have a feeling we're going to find out...and it ain't gonna be pretty.

I totally painted the other people with a gangbanger brush from the start. They didn't help matters, trying to act all tough....but it really was just an act. I felt so bad for them after I saw that they were just protecting a bunch of senior citizens. That's just....awww.... Seriously.

Um....about the attack at the end? The guy digging the graves totally saw it coming. Is he psychic? Weird!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
I really liked this episode. I really didn't see any of this coming either. I was completely shocked when the walkers attacked the camp at the end. I didn't see Amy getting bitten and killed at all. I probably should have though.
And I was just starting to like her...I even learned her name...kept calling her Lisa until this episode. I also agree this was a great episode it had the perfect combination of action/suspense and character development/drama. Poor Andrea, my heart broke for at the end. When the Walkers attacked I wondered if Merle was going to come to the rescue because the others thought he was on the way back to camp. Then when he didn't show and it was Rick and the guys coming to the rescue I wondered if Merle somehow led the Walkers to camp as part of his vengeance.

Quote:
I'm not hating Darryl as much as I thought I might. He's redneck asshole, but at least he can be reasonable and he can work with others. Unlike his brother. I wonder where Merle is? I have a feeling we're going to find out...and it ain't gonna be pretty.
I think I love Darryl, he's the perfect level of asshole. He's a jackass but he's got honor, loyalty and a conscience. He's also funny as hell at times. I also find that this racism isn't as bad as Merle's. With Merle it's all about hate and (probably) fear. With Darryl it seems to be about ignorance, it's like he believes the stereotypes. This means that he can learn and hopefully overcome his prejudices.

I will give Merle one compliment, he is a BAMF. Totally, cut off his own hand, took out 2 Walkers and than burned the stump to stop the bleeding. Dude is fierce.

Quote:
I totally painted the other people with a gangbanger brush from the start. They didn't help matters, trying to act all tough....but it really was just an act. I felt so bad for them after I saw that they were just protecting a bunch of senior citizens. That's just....awww.... Seriously.
I absolutely love how that storyline played out. Here are these supposed badass gang bangers yet they stayed to take care of the elderly while the staff just abandoned them. Since I think a large part of the show will deal with what happens to our humanity when civilization falls apart I found this really interesting.

Quote:
Um....about the attack at the end? The guy digging the graves totally saw it coming. Is he psychic? Weird!
That's what I came away with, I knew he was digging graves and at first I thought it was in reaction to what Shane had done. Basically Joe(?) figured that society was falling apart and they'd all turn on each other. After he mentioned having a dream, I figured he was psychic. Very interesting development.

I also have to say that I thought Shane was greatly improved in tonight's episode. I liked how he interacted and dealt with Joe. I don't know where they're going with the character but I like that there's depth to him.

On a total shallow note, Andrea look absolutely radiant in that fishing scene.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #42
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

So, that last episode was the best episode of anything this season. Loved the way they played with perceptions about Amy/Andrea, (who, yes, was pure beauty in the opening scene), their father, the not-gangbangers, the grave digger and his motivations... Awesome work.

Shane too, as far as perceptions go. He was really good with Jim; almost Rick like.

And yeah, Merle is a bad-ass. But we established early on the cavemen are. Wonder where he went? Or did he sick the walkers on the camp for revenge?

And am I never to know the deal with the helicopter? Woe...
Old 11-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #43
DamnSkippy

I'm glad you guys like this series, but I can't watch. I tried. But I couldn't make it past the first hour of the first ep. Zombies just freak me out too much! Their look, their creepy voices, their stares, their eating of people...very scary and unappetizing. So I guess I will be passing on this one. Enjoy!
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #44
Syn
insane clown girl

Andrea is kind of badass. I don't know if I would have allowed my dead sister to awaken all zombiefied and then get that close to my face before shooting her. I'd have done that at a distance. Woman has balls of steel.

Umm....Shane pointing the gun at Rick's back? Yeah. That was kind of shocking, but then again....Rick has taken everything that Shane had. His authority, "his" woman... It's not exactly surprising that Shane resents that. I don't think he would have pulled the trigger even if Dale hadn't come out of the woods. But for a minute there he thought about it. His life was a whole lot simpler when Rick was off in Comaville.

I liked the look on Dale's face though. He honestly thought Shane was going to shoot him.

I kind of got some glee out of watching the battered woman (can't think of her name) putting a pickax in her abusive husband's corpse. Heh. Woman is better off without him. Way better off. I liked Darryl's face when she was doing that. Even he was disturbed.

I felt so bad for Jim...and I wasn't expecting him to get bit, because I thought for sure they might explore his weird vision/dream thing a bit more. Then again....we didn't see him die. So who knows what's going on there! (Okay, he's probably dead....but whatevs!)

I liked the twist with the CDC guy. At least someone is trying to find a cure. I get the feeling that he might have gotten infected in the lab when that acid ate at his glove and he touched that sample.... I wonder why he let the survivors into the building? Loneliness, human kindness, or....experimentation?

Can't wait for next week!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #45
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Andrea is kind of badass. I don't know if I would have allowed my dead sister to awaken all zombiefied and then get that close to my face before shooting her. I'd have done that at a distance. Woman has balls of steel.
OMG I was yelling at her the entire time. I knew she was going to be the one to pull the trigger on her sister but man she was taking her sweet damn time about it. I just love Andrea, she's so badass.

Quote:
Umm....Shane pointing the gun at Rick's back? Yeah. That was kind of shocking, but then again....Rick has taken everything that Shane had. His authority, "his" woman... It's not exactly surprising that Shane resents that. I don't think he would have pulled the trigger even if Dale hadn't come out of the woods. But for a minute there he thought about it. His life was a whole lot simpler when Rick was off in Comaville.
You know I could totally see all of that in his face, very good actor. You could see the thought process, everything was better with out Rick, he's going to get us all killed, would be better if he just went away.

Quote:
I kind of got some glee out of watching the battered woman (can't think of her name) putting a pickax in her abusive husband's corpse. Heh. Woman is better off without him. Way better off. I liked Darryl's face when she was doing that. Even he was disturbed.
Yeah, I liked the scene and Darryl is totally becoming one of my favorite characters, right up there with Andrea and Glenn.

Quote:
I felt so bad for Jim...and I wasn't expecting him to get bit, because I thought for sure they might explore his weird vision/dream thing a bit more. Then again....we didn't see him die. So who knows what's going on there! (Okay, he's probably dead....but whatevs!)
Damn show made me cry...I did think that Darryl was going to put a bolt in him so he didn't have to suffer and come back as a Walker.

Quote:
I liked the twist with the CDC guy. At least someone is trying to find a cure. I get the feeling that he might have gotten infected in the lab when that acid ate at his glove and he touched that sample.... I wonder why he let the survivors into the building? Loneliness, human kindness, or....experimentation? Can't wait for next week!
I think it was probably all of the above. Although, I hope it wasn't because he needed new samples.

Now onto Lori, what does everyone think of her? I actually started liking her at the beginning of the episode and ended up disliking her about half way through. I'm not sure if it's the actress or the character but the scene where Shane confronted her saying she needed to talk to Rick about the CDC plan (which she was totally against) she got all petty and contrary, she could have been putting the entire group in jeopardy just to spite Shane (at least that's the way it came across to me).