Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Bryan

Unhappy Foregone movie roles?

I wonder what scripts??

"There’s nothing worse than a talent manager who blocks their talent from good old-fashioned work. I don’t know what these people think they’re holding out for – on behalf of their client – but when a reasonably well-paid gig in a reasonable film comes along, you should take it – especially if nobody knows your name yet. If you’re Hanks or Cruise, yes, you should hold out for the best script you can get, but if you’re Sarah Wayne Callies (or Edward Furlong or Christian Slater or James Marsters or Charisma Carpenter - examples of people whose gatekeepers, I hear, have blocked scripts from) you should hop on as much ‘good’ stuff as you can, you’ve got a career to build. Let your manager ‘build their ego’ but you, ‘build your career’. Heck, come see me… I’ll rep ya."

http://www.moviehole.net/news/200710...nt_151007.html
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

James Marsters is really low on movies--in fact, he hasn't done anything mainstream besides Smallville since his break from ANGEL in 2005. Charisma Carpenter is also down on the whole movie thing, especially with 'Voodoo Moon' which I can't help but condemn. Heck, even Sarah Michelle Gellar's out of new films to throw at us after 'Happily Never After'. It's just what happens to TV show veterans. No one can really help it.
bigbird811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird811 View Post
James Marsters is really low on movies--in fact, he hasn't done anything mainstream besides Smallville since his break from ANGEL in 2005. Charisma Carpenter is also down on the whole movie thing, especially with 'Voodoo Moon' which I can't help but condemn. Heck, even Sarah Michelle Gellar's out of new films to throw at us after 'Happily Never After'. It's just what happens to TV show veterans. No one can really help it.
I think you've missed the point of my post! And by the way - SMG has 7 films due for release over the next few months
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I think you've missed the point of my post! And by the way - SMG has 7 films due for release over the next few months
Yes, but she really needs to get away from horror movies (and I think she has). SMG comes across in interviews as a smart little cookie so if she turned something down there was probably a good reason.

I heard that JM's manager or agent made him turn down a regular role on Saving Grace because of money. That's a huge missed opportunity, but plenty of stars/actors have turned down great roles.

As far as CC goes I have no idea what's she's turned down or why.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
DamnSkippy

The only role I know about that CC turned down was the role in "The Faculty" that was supposedly written for her. But I heard that was CC turning it down because she didn't want to be typecast in bitch roles and not necessarily her manager. But don't quote me on that.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Platypus
The Pointy End

James Marsters currently has a recurring role on "Without a Trace", which is about as mainstream as you can get. It's on CBS, it's a relatively high rated program, and it's a crime procedural. (Disclaimer - I don't watch the show and I haven't watched his performances.)

And SMG does have a lot of films pending, but some of them ("Southland Tales") are not likely to ever see a theater screen. I get the sense that she's still somewhat in demand, but she hasn't found the kind of role or film that could catapult her into the big leagues.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
The only role I know about that CC turned down was the role in "The Faculty" that was supposedly written for her. But I heard that was CC turning it down because she didn't want to be typecast in bitch roles and not necessarily her manager. But don't quote me on that.
Yeah - but I get the impression from the article that he's talking about more recent offers, and that Charisma wasn't involved in the decision.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Yeah - but I get the impression from the article that he's talking about more recent offers, and that Charisma wasn't involved in the decision.
This guy's information seems to be second- or third-hand at best. Maybe you should ask him?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
James Marsters currently has a recurring role on "Without a Trace", which is about as mainstream as you can get. It's on CBS, it's a relatively high rated program, and it's a crime procedural. (Disclaimer - I don't watch the show and I haven't watched his performances.)
I like Without a Trace but, I don't really think that JM's appearance is all that special. It just didn't grab me as that big or important of a role. To be honest, Nick Wechsler (Kyle from Roswell) peeked my interest more in the first JM episode than JM did.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Kit

I know JM was in a movie with Hilary Swank...I think its called "PS I Love You"...or something like that.

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

PS I love You is due out around Christmas and has an excellent cast, hopefully it will do well and get JM some mainstream recognition.

Incidentally, Papa Winchester is also in the movie, for you Supernatural fans.

Just to clear up any confusion, I wasn't slamming JM's appearance in WaT, I just don't think it's that great of a role. It would have been nice to see him do something juicy.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
tootyfnfruity

i know this completely off subject, but i would love to see cc in a rob zombie movie and i am sure it would be better than voodoo moon by far.

tootyfnfruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

I saw the WaT episode, but his role wasn't anything mainstream. I didn't really know about Sarah Michelle Gellar's movies before you mentioned it. Yupp, I'm not up-to-date And I'm sorry, I did miss the point.

But now that I'm on point, yes, I do think Talent Managers seem to block the 'talent' more than they should...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #14
starlet2367
glitterati

At DragonCon, JM said that he had the opportunity to play the role of Ham in Saving Grace, but his agent turned it down b/c it didn't pay enough. Though WaT probably gets him a much larger paycheck and audience, anyway.
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote