Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Movie Mania!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Childe of Blade

The Dark Knight Rises vs The Avengers

Which 2012 film will you be spending your hard earned cash on?
Childe of Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childe of Blade View Post
Which 2012 film will you be spending your hard earned cash on?
Completely unrelated to its pedigree, I will forgo The Avengers and see The Dark Knight Rises.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Livvie
nutcase

The Dark Knight Rises. I'm a Bat-fan from way back in the day. Catwoman, total awesome plus. (Though I'm not happy with the casting).

I've enjoyed the Nolan-verse Batmans. And Christian Bale is always a plus for any movie in my book.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

DKR of course. I still have issues with Whedon plus I love Batman, Bale and Nolan. Avengers has RDJ and Iron Man both of whom I love but sadly my issues with Whedon trump both.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Still trying to figure out if I hate The Dark Knight or if I just hate its fans. The Thor movie was surprisingly entertaining, though, and I've always preferred Marvel to DC. Hrm.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
DamnSkippy

I was going to say The Avengers because...duh...Emma Peel...but then I remembered it's not the same thing. Sadly. So, for me, probably neither since I'm not a Batman fan and I'm still vehemently anti Whedon.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
samsmom

DKR. I'm a DC girl.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Syn
insane clown girl

Both of them.

I've never understood the need my fellow comic book fans have to choose between DC and Marvel. I like them both, though Batman (and the extended Bat-family) are my favorites.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Hey Syn - what do you think of the new Harley Quinn outfit?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
samsmom

It's not that I ever 'chose' DC over Marvel. I started reading comics as a kid because of Superman, and then I would gradually buy other titles by DC...WW, Teen Titans, occasionally Batman. I didn't pay attention to Marvel, so I'm extremely unfamiliar with Marvel characters on the whole. And the ones I've 'gotten to know', I'm just not that interested in them. They were very human and fallible and they faced a lot of prejudice. DC heroes, at least as much as I was aware of as a kid, were shiny and always right and the lines were a little more clear. Their choices were never presented as anything but heroic and right. As a kid, I liked that.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
It's not that I ever 'chose' DC over Marvel. I started reading comics as a kid because of Superman, and then I would gradually buy other titles by DC...WW, Teen Titans, occasionally Batman. I didn't pay attention to Marvel, so I'm extremely unfamiliar with Marvel characters on the whole. And the ones I've 'gotten to know', I'm just not that interested in them. They were very human and fallible and they faced a lot of prejudice. DC heroes, at least as much as I was aware of as a kid, were shiny and always right and the lines were a little more clear. Their choices were never presented as anything but heroic and right. As a kid, I liked that.
I'm actually at the other end of the spectrum. I started buying Marvel comics (X-Men) as a teen and pretty much stuck with Marvel as an adult. The reason I prefer Marvel to DC is that their heroes are fallible, human, and face prejudice.

Superman is too powerful and too good to be interesting. In fact (with DC) I tend to find Batman and Green Arrow much more interesting DC heroes than Supes and of course Lobo and Harley Quinn but I doubt either of those count as heroes.

I'll watch both Marvel and DC movies and I pretty much judge them based on the story. I hated X-3 and Wolverine Origins with a passion, loved TDK and Iron Man movies, haven't seen Thor or X-First Class yet (waiting for DVD no matter what people say). For some reason Green Lantern just doesn't look good to me but it's getting some great reviews, I'm also a bit torn, I want Ryan R to have a hit movie but I want him to do the Deadpool movie (as long as FOX keeps their grubby suits away from the script).
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
DamnSkippy

Hmmm...I never really gave my "heroes" much thought before, but I think I must distinguish between my superheroes and "suped-up" ones because I agree with Sam and Morrigan in some ways. I need my superheroes to be good through and through. I don't want to see them be fallible. They were born with all this power and they have chosen to use their powers to help others. Any fallibility makes them lesser than, and brings them too close to human for me. I don't like to see them weak or indecisive. I guess that's why I stopped watching Smallville in year 2. One time making Clark evil was bad enough, but doing it again and again pissed me off.

Then you have your suped-up humans (like Angel) and I expect them to still be human and have to struggle to do the right thing. The triumph over that struggle makes me all woohoo and the failing makes me go all woobie for them (or angry with them depending on the situation). But, then, they realize what they have to do to triumph again and I'm all woohoo again.

I guess I emphathize with the suped-up hero, but I want to be a superhero. I find I am more bored more, though, with the suped-up ones because I have low tolerance with people of power and privilege being all emo when they have so much more than others do. I know there are exceptions - those who are emo and have every right to be - but they are underdogs and I, like everyone else, root for the underdog.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
Syn
insane clown girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Hey Syn - what do you think of the new Harley Quinn outfit?
Emma Frost thinks she looks whorish. LMFAO Her old costume was iconic. I'm not sure why they did that to her. :/ Of course, it could be worse. Have you seen what they did to the Teen Titans?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Emma Frost thinks she looks whorish. LMFAO Her old costume was iconic. I'm not sure why they did that to her. :/ Of course, it could be worse. Have you seen what they did to the Teen Titans?
Nail.On.Head that's the perfect statement.

I haven't seen the new Teen Titans costumes, I saw that Superman last the undies for which I say...about time!

Not sure what they're doing with Wonder Woman's outfit since they just revised it last year.

Speaking of Harley...I totally wanted Harley in TDK and would have loved for Harley to show up DKR, although I have no idea who could play her.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Syn
insane clown girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I haven't seen the new Teen Titans costumes, I saw that Superman last the undies for which I say...about time!

Not sure what they're doing with Wonder Woman's outfit since they just revised it last year.

Speaking of Harley...I totally wanted Harley in TDK and would have loved for Harley to show up DKR, although I have no idea who could play her.

They gave Tim Drake (Red Robin) wings. FEATHERY WINGS. It's hideous. Don't even get me started on Superboy or Wonder Girl. LOL

I'm cool with Supes losing his red panties, personally. Wonder Woman's lost the jacket, I think, but otherwise I'm not sure she's changed looks.

I think Anna Faris would be fantastic as Harley, especially if she could play it dark.