Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > General
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
Livvie
nutcase

Livejournal Purging Inactive Accts

According to news, Livejournal is going to begin deleting inactive communities and journals. Inactive accounts are ones that have not had a post in them for 24 consecutive months. If you have any archiving communities or ones you haven't looked at for a while, I would suggest making a post just to keep them alive.

I had to do that on a couple of communities and I think we have some RPers here who might want to keep their RPG comms that are on LJ.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
DamnSkippy

Hmmm. I read that but it didn't dawn on me that my C/A archive could be in danger. I always thought since I bought a permanent account, it wouldn't matter if I died or not - that the comms associated with my account would survive. But I guess not. Well, that sucks.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Livvie
nutcase

Just do a quick modpost in them to keep them active, that is what I did with mine. Only took me about five minutes to go down my list, open in a new tab and c/p.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Ever since they started with the ads, I've lost whatever lingering interest I had.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
Just do a quick modpost in them to keep them active, that is what I did with mine. Only took me about five minutes to go down my list, open in a new tab and c/p.
Kinda hard to do that if I'm dead. I'm not worried about it now since it's been active recently, just for the future. But I do have a few old, old comms that I didn't have the heart to delete. Nothing there to save so if they get deleted, it's okay. There are only a few that might piss me off if they would get deleted some day.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Livvie
nutcase

Sorry, DS. I totally misunderstood. If you die, Nikki and I will make sure to post in your comms. LOL

But apparently they are going to delete all entries and comments from purged accts too. LAME.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Livvie
nutcase

They updated the policy now:

EDIT: Purging inactive accounts: One of the benefits of the work we've done to purge suspended accounts is that we will now be able to purge inactive journals and communities too--something you've been requesting for years! A journal is defined as inactive if it has not been logged into for 24 consecutive months and has only one post (i.e., the welcome post). A community is defined as inactive if has not been updated for 24 consecutive months and has only one entry and no comments. Once an account is eligible to be purged for inactivity, the owner will be sent an email to alert them of the inactive status. The owner will then have two weeks to log into the journal or post to their community to prevent it from being deleted. If the owner does not log in or post, the account will be deleted and treated like any other deleted account (the owner will have 30 days to log in and undelete the account to prevent it from being purged). Purging inactive accounts will take place sometime after we've begun purging suspended accounts, probably in late August.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

At least they're giving people fair warning, and not just yanking LJs down willy nilly.

And for those who might have LJs they aren't interested in maintaining anymore, but they'd like to preserve them for posterity, you should try LJBook. It's a free, online tool that turns your entire LJ into an ebook that looks something like THIS.

LJBook

You can also use LJArchive to download a copy of your entire LJ to your hard drive. And it's free too.