Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > General
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Livvie
nutcase

Love the smell of wank in the morning

In the "two teens posing as Charisma" thread, the conversation shifted to all time fave wanks. Since I came into the fandom late (as did a few other people), thought it would be cool to start a thread where people could link to their fave wanks in history. Any fandom, any wank, any time. Cause we all need to laugh.

The only rule is don't bring any personal fights from other places here, don't start fights, be cool to each other. We are all just here to get some good laughs.

ETA: Will be back with a wank fave once its all formatted and nice.

Last edited by Livvie; 01-23-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Livvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Aiee...I feel like I need to make another rule, that being that any wanks under discussion should have appeared at Fandom Wank. This one is still a little too much like picking an internecine fight.

It might also be nice if the person posting a Fandom Wank added some commentary in addition to a link.

Don't make me sorry I said yes, guys...!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
Aiee...I feel like I need to make another rule, that being that any wanks under discussion should have appeared at Fandom Wank. This one is still a little too much like picking an internecine fight.

It might also be nice if the person posting a Fandom Wank added some commentary in addition to a link.

Don't make me sorry I said yes, guys...!
No problemo. I took down the two (or three) links that weren't up at F_W. Is the F_W wiki okay too? FWgreatesthits? (I know they had a good summary of Victoria Bitter on FWGreatestHits as well as the Spike Wars) Just basically as long as its associated officialy with F_W?

I'll come back and add commentary under each of the wanks. Just need a couple of minutes to sort through and come up with something funny.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I caught up on a couple of F_W at the wiki, the Victoria Bitter one is truly funny.

I look forward to reading what you guys post, I remember quite a few good ones regardins HP vs LOTR fandom_wank.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
DamnSkippy

I've been around the net for a long time, but I feel like a complete newbie as far as wank goes. I'd never heard of SVMaria or Victoria Bitter or the Lex Mafia until I followed the links in the other thread. (Of course, I'm not a member of any of those fandoms, so it's not entirely my fault.) OMG, people are nuts! I mean I knew that, but I've never witnessed it on such a mindboggling level before.

My fandoms have been few - Quantum Leap, X-Files, and Btvs/Ats. Got any great wanks from these?

Last edited by DamnSkippy; 01-23-2008 at 03:28 PM.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
bigbird811
Lieutenant McMuffin

I'm pretty sad for doing this but...

...I just. couldn't. resist.

Also, check out Snapes on an Astral Plane!

Huh...*scratches head* what do I do now?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Emmangel
Administrator

Oh dear lord, I think over time I've forgotten just how nuts this fandom could be.

As annoying as I found it back then, I almost kinda miss it.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

I feel I must let Prima synopsize the Victoria Bitter saga, just because she does it so well. But I call dibs on Snacky's Law. Let's let Snacky herself explain it:
Quote:
You guys know Godwin's Law, right?

Well, I want a new law. I want a law that says: Whenever two (or more) groups of people are arguing, anywhere on the web* (usenet, mailing lists, message boards, blogs, etc.), inevitably, someone on one side of the argument (regardless of age or gender) will compare the group on the other side to "those bitchy girls who made everyone's life hell in high school."

If I've learned anything at all from Internet Retard Slapfights, that's it.

Additionally: When this happens, if the person who made this comparison is validated with tales of "just how mean the bitchy girls were to ME in high school," the argument is over, and the side making the comparison has lost.

If however, the other side responds with the EXACT SAME COMPARISON, both sides have lost, and the argument should be declared dead for all eternity.

(I know, that last part is wishful thinking.)

So, there's the new law. Call it Snacky's Law, call it The High School Bitches Law, call it The Stop Yer Whining and Move On Law, hug it and pet it and call it George, whatever, but you all should know, I'm putting it into effect as of right now. *g*

*I thought at first this law should be applicable only to Fandom arguments, but I've seen it happen on corners of the web, far, far away from Fandom, so it goes for every internet argument.
To which some of us can only say: Why aren't you bitches doing your job and enforcing this bad boy?!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Kit

I didn't know who Victoria Bitter was until she was discussed yesterday. I was really intrigued about the whole thing and I googled her name and....wow. Just...wow. My mind was blown! I didn't know people like this actually existed.

Anyway, I found this really good article about the whole "Bit of Earth" scandal and a really good introduction about hobbit fics. Does it violate the rule if I post it here? I know Fandom Wank Wiki has a short summary about this but this article is more in depth. Let me know if its okay to post it.

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Anyway, I found this really good article about the whole "Bit of Earth" scandal and a really good introduction about hobbit fics. Does it violate the rule if I post it here? I know Fandom Wank Wiki has a short summary about this but this article is more in depth. Let me know if its okay to post it.
Feel free to post a link and a brief summary and quote or two, but please don't post the entire thing, just in case the author is inclined to hunt us down (and by "us" I mean "me," pretty much) and shoot us in the face with a bazooka. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Kit

Thanks Penny!

I found this site first. It is about the book written by one of the scammee about the Bit of Earth Scandals. I just posted this link because it has pictures of Victoria Bitter as a herself, himself, Frodo, Legolas, and Harry Potter at the very top page.

Here's the article about the whole Bit of Earth Scam. It is a good read. My favorite part is the end though, where they were talking about slash fics.

Quote:
"The Hobbit Shivered with Pleasure."
The title alone had me rolling.

Lastly, I found this on Fandom wanks greatest hits detailing all the sordid relationship details plus the whole impersonating Elijah Woods saga.

The three links above give me a couple hours of amusement. Enjoy!

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird811 View Post

Woah, cherylforba...talk about a blast from the past. Man, she went apesh!t over at the WB Baord when they posted a "100 reasons why B/A is so over list". That was amusing

They picked on Jennem...those bastards
Old 01-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
25cent

So I guess I'm confused. But what exactly is a fan wank?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Oh, Prima -- there's fresh Fandom Wank just for you. A game, and an "M," and a conservative political blog...mix, shake and watch the spooge volcano. (From a distance! Dry cleaning is expensive and makes polar bears cry.)

They think of you naked...in Mass Effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cent View Post
So I guess I'm confused. But what exactly is a fan wank?
A fan wank is when fans try to explain something inexplicable -- e.g., Whedonverse continuity -- through increasingly complex and unlikely rationalizations. A fandom wank, on the other hand, is when the fandom itself becomes the source of the wank. (A little reductive, but more or less true.)
Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird811 View Post

Also, check out Snapes on an Astral Plane!

Huh...*scratches head* what do I do now?
Geesh! I didn't start joining forums, like this, until 2003-2004. I didn't know what the hell fandom_wank was, and that first thread makes me glad I didn't. LOL Did those B/Aers actually think ATS was going to have a B/A ending? Wow.

*off to read the second link*

P.S., Livvie, you took down the links, but I looked over that Ducks board and it gave me the creeps. The things that they actually thought. Crazyness.

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote