Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 PM   #61
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry
Having just been to Comic-Con, I can say for sure that the producers of 'V' are none-too-happy to have Alan Moore telling everyone that their movie is moronic. That may not stop it from being successful (although it will if it is true, as was the case with 'League') but it definitely doesn't help. Similarly, a 'Buffy' project does not need Joss involved, but it is likely to fail if he is actively opposed.

Either way, I think any BtVS project that is entirely free of Joss would only happen at some point in the future where it was a remake, rather than a continuation of the story.
I really am the only person in the world to think 'League' wasn't that bad, amn't I? I'd say (and sorry for going OT) it would depend on how popular the comic was. If the cachet of the comic is a big part of what is propelling the movie (as it seemed with Sin City) then you need the creater perhaps more on board, if otherwise then I'd say it doesn't matter really. I can't say outside of fandom how associated Whedon is with Buffy - I'd say not that much as few producers/writers/creators get widespread press. On the other hand the online fandom would make the papers like the Harry Potter fandom if they cut him out now.

I think a Spike made for DVD would likely sell enough to cover its costs: JM has enough enthusiastic fans and then there's all the Buffy and Angel people who would buy it just to finish their collection. It doesn't need to make the supermarkets when you've got Amazon, etc. online plus the free advertising of very dedicated fans.

livejournally thingy
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #62
silveragent

Sep -- if per Freddy little kids in Bali know Sarah is Buffy, that's hard to beat, particularly since it helps you Globally. I doubt anyone in the wider, non-online fandom audience knows or cares about Joss or James or would do so even if told.

Writers/Directors just don't matter. JK Rowling didn't write the screenplays to the films, people still turned out in droves. Alan Moore complained about Constantine all the time, nobody cared. THAT was a Reeves movie. Joss could whine, people globally would pay to see SMG.

I think the reason there hasn't been and won't be a direct to DVD Spike movie is economic. James and Spike may have online fans, that didn't translate into wide audience viewing, otherwise we'd have had Spike the Series which Whedon obviously wanted. [Internet IMHO distorts knowing the true nature of viewing audience] Recall how Spike was going to "save Angel the Series?" Except he didn't. Plus James is naturally fair, and is stereotyped with bleached blonde hair. Which hurts him outside of playing villains or buffoons.

If the cost to a Spike movie is akin to $50 million on Serenity, add in another $30 million for marketing, that would require 8 million DVDs (at a margin of $10 each) just to COVER the cost. Buffy at it's height didn't draw that amount in viewers for free, in comparison the best-selling comic book (Superman or Joss's X-men) does only 200K; Chronicles of Riddick did about 8 million unit sales. The danger in a Spike movies is you get much closer to 200K than the other.

Plus execs can only oversee so many projects. Which would you rather have as a Fox exec? A "pre-sold" world wide movie with Buffy, when kids in Bali know her, or some guy who's character couldn't even make a TV spinoff? Given unknown risk go for the much larger payoff.

League wasn't bad. I thought it was OK.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #63
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

You know, the article just states that Joss called James. He could have been calling to say that there never was nor ever will be a movie made with Spike as the star.

Hee.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #64
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
You know, the article just states that Joss called James. He could have been calling to say that there never was nor ever will be a movie made with Spike as the star.

Hee.
or just to say he was happy to see the hair was growing back.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #65
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Quote:

Hee.
Thats true, but its a possibility hehe.

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #66
KarKar

Quote:

Hee.
Or maybe he was asking for SMG's & DB's new unlisted phone numbers.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #67
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

I seriously believe he was calling James about a Spike movie. Why else would he call him?

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #68
KarKar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside
I seriously believe he was calling James about a Spike movie. Why else would he call him?
Didn't you hear? JM is so compulsive about finding new jobs that he's working directory assistance.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:12 PM   #69
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

Again, this is Hollywood. If someone is stupid enough to let Uwe Boll license their movies, then someone is stupid enough to let Joss make his Spike movie.

Last edited by Adrian_Tepes; 08-04-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #70
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Tepes
Again, this is Hollywood. If someone is stupid enough to Uwe Boll license their movies,
I'm lookin' for a verb there....
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #71
That*clown

Location: suburban D.C.-supplied with a different breed of demons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
or just to say he was happy to see the hair was growing back.
Just as many of us were chipping in for that Hair Club For Men membership.

Go, me.
That*clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #72
ScaryFairy

Seems to me that JW keeps in touch with a couple of actors. AH(annigan), AA, JM, and NB have all said they've spoken to him in the past week or two.

This new thing from Wrongda saying that JM told her he spoke to JW about a Spike movie (link!: http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Boards/ann.jspa?annID=58 ) strikes me as her jumping the gun (again). Until I see an interview or a chat transcript, I'm not going to believe that a "Spike movie" is anywhere close to the planning stages. JM could have been making a noncomital statement and Wrongda (again) blew it up into something it wasn't.

I mean, just last week she took a noncomital statement about a Spike movie from AH(annigan) and made it sound like it was a done deal, direct-to-DVD thing.

Hell, the latest TCA Press Tour Wrongda interviewed NB (link!: http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristi...5/050805b.html) and he said he also spoke with JW, but pretty much dismissed the idea that any BtVS or AtS movie was in the offing because JW is a little busy with Wonder Woman and the actors themselves are busy. In true Wrongda fashion, she jumped on his Wonder Woman mention and asked if he was going to be cast in the movie. (His long answer made short: "No.")

So, really, I put this down to hopeful wishing on the part of some of the fanbase. And without a doubt, at least half that hopeful fanbase is gonna be pissed with whatever JW decides should it ever happen.

Although to be honest, at this point, it doesn't matter to me if FOX and/or JW ever do anything with the property again. As for the actors, I hope they all find great careers far, far away from the BtVS or AtS. Just IMHO.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #73
KarKar

He also dismissed a Buffy/Spike pairing at one point so who knows what he's capable of?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #74
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy's Bitch
I'm lookin' for a verb there....

Never post sober.

It ruins the experience.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #75
silveragent

Let's not forget that Fox and Whedon don't get along. Budget battles, and of course Fox passed on the Firefly movie. ME closed it's doors. Universal didn't even tell Whedon when Serenity would open (up against a Jessica Alba in a bikini movie) and isn't promoting it past the true believers (suggesting bomb). Joss has a scripting deal for Wonder Woman but no script yet and per his interview seems to be struggling, falling victim yet again to far too many cool moments and no plot yet.

If Fox does anything I would be surprised if Whedon had any involvement, past Buffy as a TV show his actual $$$ track record is not good (his only WGA credits are Alien Resurrection and Titan AE, and unlike polishers like Babaloo Mandel, he's not attached to a star like Will Ferrel).

His talking to Nick seems odd, given Xander's and Nick's treatment on Buffy and his very public brush-off in moving to Angel. My take is Whedon has burn-out creatively (seems to be struggling with the WW script per his interview) and is seeking to mend fences with Sarah (good luck with that). His interview seemed to shoot himself in the foot with Joel Silver. Whedon does have difficulty working with others when he's not in control (Roseanne disease).

Hollywood seems bankrupt creatively, too much Alan Ball disease, which doesn't pull in the paying customers. Buffy with Sarah is basically pre-sold, people know who/what the character is and basically like her so even just competent execution can make money. A fun upbeat film with "friends of Sarah," i.e Michelle, Nick, Seth, and Tony would be I think a winner and if there was enough money waved at folks a summer project, no sooner though than 2007 release and 2006 filming is at least possible. A Buffy movie would make more money than Dukes of Hazzard for sure IMHO.

However I think anything beyond a Buffy movie is highly doubtful and even that is likely years and lots of cash away.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote