Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2004, 05:37 PM   #16
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freakface
And as far as past celebs posing in Playboy helping their careers, I can name a couple that worked out...
Dana Plato, anyone?

Last edited by SamIAm; 02-04-2004 at 05:40 PM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:41 PM   #17
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally posted by imona
That seems to be a move that washed-up, has-beens make to rejuvenate their fading careers.
That is probably the biggest downside I see to doing the mag. It's not the connotation of appearing nude it's the 'well this is obviously being done for media attention'.

I agree that Playboy is pretty much a *mostly* respectable mag and I'm surprised that people still draw a big distinction between it and Maxim. Then again, if I had to pick, I'd advise her to do an issue of Maxim instead. One would think that if she is offered the cover of Playboy that she could easily get a Maxim one as well.

ETA:
Quote:
Posted by Platy
I wonder if Chrissy posted this because Charisma wants to see what her fan reaction is before she agrees to or turns down an offer?
It scares me how much we think a like. I was just wondering if this was CC's way of testing the waters to see how the move would be received.

Last edited by Morrigan; 02-04-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #18
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrigan
Then again, if I had to pick, I'd advise her to do an issue of Maxim instead. One would think that if she is offered the cover of Playboy that she could easily get a Maxim one as well.
But Playboy has a much wider circulation.

Honestly? I'd rather she didn't, but not because I would lose respect for her - more because I think other people would judge her. But I'd have no problems with her doing the cover (because those aren't any different from Maxim and FHM covers) and an interview - it's the inside pictorial that's the real problem.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #19
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
I'd rather she didn't, but not because I would lose respect for her...
For the record, as a serious actress, not as a person. She is entitled to do whatever she likes with the usual qualifiers, but to me, doing Playboy for promotion puts her in deperation land, and it's not a guarantee of anything except getting her pictures posted to alt.binaries.nude.celebrities.

That said, Playboy has done partial nude pictorals before; a tad more showing than, say, CC's FHM or Stuff pictorals, but still leaving something to the imagination. Perhaps that's what CC's looking at doing. Though I still think even that should be discouraged.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #20
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
But Playboy has a much wider circulation.
Yeah I know that is why Playboy is often used as a spring board to kick start a career. However Maxim seems to have more respectablity as far as most are concerned.

Just look at the comments in this thread. Most posters would rather she didn't appear in Playboy but I don't there would be any objections to Maxim.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #21
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Oh, I wouldn't judge or lose any respect for Charisma if she did this. I guess my reservations are the associations with has-beens that Playboy can have. Not all Playboy celebs are has-beens, but there could be that connotation and I would hate to see it happen to Charisma.

Ultimately, it's her choice and I respect that. However, like others have said, this just doesn't seem congruent with what she has said before. She has gotten annoyed with how Maxim layouts turned out.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:15 PM   #22
tojoson

not very often, but occasionally in the past, i have seen non-nude pictorials in playboy.

provocative, scantily clothed, sexy, yes but non-nude, sort of like her (FHM, STUFF???) spread, maybe a little more daring., and she would have final choice of which photos to use..

and playboy pays,
maxim, fhm, and those don't pay anything
(jillian barberi from 'good day live' was talking about this the other day, they made her an offer too)

but it is her choice, i trust her to use good judgement.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:22 PM   #23
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

So if she does do it and it turns out to be a non-nude like what you'd see in FHM or "Stuff" would that make it better?

There is a part of me that object b/c I'd hate to see people dismissing her as a Playboy Playmate. On the other hand, didn't Alyssa Milano appear in Playboy? I don't think that has hurt her respectability as an actress.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #24
Platypus
The Pointy End

You know, this is the part where I get people rolling their eyes at me in front of their computer screens, but part of what I don't get is if there's no difference between the Maxim photos and Playboy photos other than a well-placed tassel - what's the big deal? I don't get the notion that somehow if the nipple is actually exposed, THAT'S what crosses the line.

As far as I am concerned, if you're willing to do suggestive photos, then it's an artificial distinction to say that whether one particular square inch of flesh is covered or not makes all the difference. But that's just my opinion.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #25
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
I don't get the notion that somehow if the nipple is actually exposed, THAT'S what crosses the line.
Ask Janet Jackson.

It's just a perception thing, that's all. Everyone does Maxim, Stuff, FHM, and the others of their ilk, but desperate actresses do Playboy. So there may or may not be a real difference, but Hollywood doesn't work on reality, it works on the perception.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #26
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Quote:

There is a part of me that object b/c I'd hate to see people dismissing her as a Playboy Playmate. On the other hand, didn't Alyssa Milano appear in Playboy? I don't think that has hurt her respectability as an actress.
I agree. Not everybody who poses in Playboy will be considered as has-been or taken less seriously. As Freakface mentioned Charlize Theron posed and now she has an Oscar nomination, so it hasn't hindered her in that respect. I just wouldn't want the chance of Charisma being viewed that, but that's my quibble.

Honestly, the nudity doesn't bother me at all. And I agree with you, Platy. The only difference is with that one tassle, the publication gets viewed in a whole different light. Although, I've had outraged mothers get angry over Maxim too as I stocked magazines, but you shrug them off. Maybe it's the taboo element, because Loaded and FHM in England came delivered with a plastic cover in case people thought the photo was too risque, and that only made people think they were dirtier covers when they weren't. Sorry, now I am on a magazine tangent (oh how working with them has scarred me!).

It really comes down to how the photos are done, too. Usually the celebs don't end up with your average playmate photo shoot. Charlize Theron's photos were actually well done and kind of "artsy" which is a contrast to the ones you see of Jenny McCarthy and Pamela Anderson which just have that look that says "Playmate" on it.

ETA: No Janet talk! I am sick of it. I guess nothing else is going on, though.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.

Last edited by Cantinera; 02-04-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:45 PM   #27
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Ask Janet Jackson.

It's just a perception thing, that's all. Everyone does Maxim, Stuff, FHM, and the others of their ilk, but desperate actresses do Playboy. So there may or may not be a real difference, but Hollywood doesn't work on reality, it works on the perception.
I'm not questioning that it is a perception thing - I'm very much aware of it. But the perception "distinction" doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #28
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
But the perception "distinction" doesn't make any logical sense to me.
That I can't help you with. I admit its inherent illogic, and I also admit it's there.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #29
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
I'm not questioning that it is a perception thing - I'm very much aware of it. But the perception "distinction" doesn't make any logical sense to me.
I think it's all about the history; Hugh Hefner, the ranch, Playboy Bunnies, etc I think that's where the distinction comes into play.

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
It's just a perception thing, that's all. Everyone does Maxim, Stuff, FHM, and the others of their ilk, but desperate actresses do Playboy. So there may or may not be a real difference, but Hollywood doesn't work on reality, it works on the perception
I have to disagree on this I don't think that only desperate actresses do Playboy. I think that perception is a bit skewed.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:10 PM   #30
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:

I have to disagree on this I don't think that only desperate actresses do Playboy. I think that perception is a bit skewed.
Celebrities whose career I don't think suffered because of it
Drew Barrymore (January 1995)
Brigitte Bardot (March 1968)
Joan Collins (March 1969)
Sophia Loren (November 1957)
Jayne Mansfield (February 1956)
Ann-Margret (October 1966)
Kim Novak (October 1959)
Jane Seymour (July 1973)
Sharon Stone (July 1990)
Elizabeth Taylor (January 1963)
and of course,
Marilyn Monroe (December 1953)

Now....I will say that I haven't seen all of the above pictorials, so I can't say how explicit they were.

Myself, I have no real problem with it, only that I'm not a regular Playboy buyer, and I'd have to make a special purchase. Would I look? Hell yeah. Do I think it would get her more work? Not really. I don't think she's a big enough celebrity for that.

I personally think you'll see SMG in there before you see CC, simply because Hef would shell out the money. But that won't happen as long as Scooby Doo is happening.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote