Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #16
KarKar

I used to poke fun at the B/A shippers over at the WB board just to see if they'd froth. Was that wrong? It was so freakin' easy.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarKar
I used to poke fun at the B/A shippers over at the WB board just to see if they'd froth.
She did, man. I saw her. (Mind you, that particular group would froth if you said AtS was doing a great job of standing alone, because standing alone meant no crossovers!!11!!, so it's not as if she was trying that hard.)
Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #18
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
Oh lawd, the shite storm over the icon that I had awhile back supporting Angel/Mrs. Fields still brings me to tears.
Still not as much fun for me as the time you were threatened with copyright infringement - and NOT by Mrs. Fields.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:39 AM   #19
Pat

well I became a C/A shipper because of rabid B/A fans. they kept putting Cordelia down, and i kept defending her and 6 months after the end of the show, i actually realised there was a name/group/place for folks like me...

I just did not know what a ship was, but it seemed evident that C/A was meant to be. Also at the time, i had never watched BTVS so it might have helped.

Thanks for the article.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 AM   #20
QueenC4707

Quote:
I used to poke fun at the B/A shippers over at the WB board just to see if they'd froth. Was that wrong? It was so freakin' easy.
LOL, I know what you guys mean... Cordy isn't the only subject of fankwanky behavior from B/Aers. I started going online in the later BtVS seasons and by then I was a pretty diehard Spuffy, and got caught up in some pretty viotriolic attacks from B/Aers. Sometimes it was fun to say stuff just to see what they'd do... so I don't think it's wrong, or else we're both wrong...

I don't think whether you watched BtVS or not really makes a difference. I watched BtVS before I ever watched AtS, and I never was that smitten by B/A. I found them sweet, but boring... IMO Cordy/Xander and Willow/Oz were much more fun to watch. I acknowledge the necessity of the B/A to the plot in S2, but after S3 I felt the 'ship had sailed and it was time for the characters to move on. C/A made more sense to me then, seeing as I personally thought Buffy and Angel had grown too far apart to make sense as a couple anymore.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #21
EEARN1

I will admit to missing the WB board for just a couple of threads. A group of us posted the 1000 Reasons B/A are so over thread and I think we were up to over 1000 reasons. The thread was prefaced as being tongue-in-cheek, and a few of the B/A'ers would admit to being amused, but there were the rabid B/A'ers who always felt the need to defend their ship and refute the reasons. I think I still have snippets of the list floating around somewhere. It was a good read. I also miss the limerick thread because we had some real gems posted in there. The Dating Game thread was fun too.
EEARN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #22
KarKar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEARN1
I will admit to missing the WB board for just a couple of threads. A group of us posted the 1000 Reasons B/A are so over thread and I think we were up to over 1000 reasons.
I usually posted snide comments about "He loaned her his jacket!" Geez. Talk about desparate. There were a couple of posters who were adults, one was a nurse and mother, but who acted like 14-yr olds fighting over "Tigerbeat" stories. Very scary.

Not to bring other board problems here, it's not around anyway, but the mods though were such corp soulsuckers. They wouldn't even question people's complaints. I got a warning once and I asked why. She went on that I "knew why." Well, I didn't. I listed posts where I'd disagreed but was polite all that. Asked what post in particular violated the board policies. She couldn't give me a come back but said, "Well, someone doesn't like you."

And there were copywrite problems over the Mrs Fields stuff? Seriously? Fox really needs to do something else with their free time. Just because they can't keep a show on the Friday 9 "slot o'death" isn't a reason to take it out on us.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #23
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
And there were copywrite problems over the Mrs Fields stuff? Seriously?
Oh, but not the kind you're thinking. (This is Prima's story, I'll let her tell it.)

We're getting into kinda not our usual thing here, but as long as we don't get any 'shipper (ew!) bashing, or the aforementioned bringing of other boards' troubles here, it'll slide for now. And the Mrs. Fields story is rich enough to tax.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #24
galathea

It always strikes me kind of odd that a lot of B/A shippers like to state that Buffy and Angel are destined to be together for eternity and that everything about that fact is obvious and clearly shown in BtVS/AtS, but on the other hand they get furious if someone dares to have another opinion. I mean, if anything is so clear about that fact, why bother? Shouldn't their confidence in that relationship be mirrored in their behaviour towards other ships? Why do they feel so threatened by C/A or B/S?

I have never met a C/A shipper that would deny the importance that Buffy had in Angels life, but I see a lot of B/A shippers that cannot even express an impartial opinion on the character of Cordelia and her function as a character in AtS. I feel a bit lost when it comes to understand why there is so much hate amongst B/A shippers for other ships.

Oh .. and I would love to see some of that 1000 reasons list ...
galathea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #25
brownsbros3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenC4707
I don't think whether you watched BtVS or not really makes a difference.
I think that's probably true for some folks, but not others. In general, I think those that watched ATS first, and then went back, and watched BTVS are probably more inclined towards C/A. While, those who started with BTVS from the beginning are more inclined towards B/A.

I personally never liked Buffy and Angel together. It just seemed too forced to me. It was like we have a good looking guy, and a good looking girl. Let's throw them together and see what happens. In most of the great TV romances, they don't have the characters become a couple by the 7th episode. They take time and build them up. That's why I liked C/A so much more. They were taking time to build to it. The problem is that they never gave us the payoff. Of course, we could say that about several of their storylines.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #26
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I have to admit, I had some fun at the old WB board.

Prima - Do tell?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #27
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

I think I only participated at one, maybe two calm discussions at other BtVS/AtS message boards where B/Aers and people who 'shipped Buffy and Angel with other characters were able to really talk about their reasons, and keep it civil. And I enjoyed those discussions quite a bit. I saw there side and was okay with it. They saw my side, and were okay with it. Things were fine.

Unfortunately, what usually happened when such a discussion started was that a poster who wasn't so civil and calm would jump in, start calling any non-B/Aers idiots for not being B/Aers, say some of the most horrible things you could imagine about Cordy, Spike, Riley, or any other relevant character (and the actors who played them), attack the B/Aers who were disloyal enough not to hate our guts (which proved they weren't true B/Aers or real fans), and that would be the end of any rational discusion. Oh, some of the B/Aers and other 'shippers who'd been talking calmly before that would try to get back control. But, before you know it (as has been said, they did seem to be quite organized) it seemed like a flood of non-civil types would suddenly arrive, and any attempt at any further real discussion would be gone. So, unless you wanted to spend the next few hours defending yourself (for not being a B/Aer), or the characters (and actors) who were being trashed up, down, and sidewise, all you could do was leave the discusion. And, after a while, it just seemed best to avoid such discusions at all, no matter how nice and calm things seemed to be to start.

Last edited by Dannyblue; 08-24-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Dannyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #28
QueenC4707

Quote:
I think that's probably true for some folks, but not others. In general, I think those that watched ATS first, and then went back, and watched BTVS are probably more inclined towards C/A. While, those who started with BTVS from the beginning are more inclined towards B/A.
Actually, all of my online friends watched BtVS first... one is B/X and the rest of us are Spuffy. Only two of us, myself and the B/Xer, were particularly dedicated viewers of AtS (well, he watched it, I played catch up later). But I haven't been in the BtVS online community as long as most of you all, so I'll take your word for it.

Hahahaha, I would *love* to see what's left of that list!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #29
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
I have to admit, I had some fun at the old WB board.

Prima - Do tell?
Hehehehe. I have to bring my kids to taekwondo first but I promise when I get back to share the tale of my "copywrite" violation of the hands.

...and heck, who didn't needle the local B/Aliban chapter at the WB Boards? I still can remember the call for folks to run out to their local jeweler and buy themselves a claddagh ring and have it engraved to say "Forever: The Whole Point", with one of them claiming to have dropped $800 on such a thing.

I couldn't help but ask if that didn't defeat the purpose of such a ring if one bought it for themselves. Plus, that it was kind of like being part of a weird menage a trois...just without the sex and a lot of expense.

I can't imagine why I too got a warning from the mods on that one.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara

Last edited by Prima; 08-24-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #30
KarKar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
...and heck, who didn't needle the B/Aliban at the WB Boards? I still can remember the call for folks to run out to their local jeweler and buy themselves a claddagh ring and have it engraved to say "Forever: The Whole Point" with one of them claiming to have dropped $800 on such a thing.
Whoa. $800? On a Bangel ring? Surprised the Spuffyists didn't offer a melt-down/recycling program on that one. I left before it got too bad, that and my office blocked the login, dangit!

There were a few mature Bangel fans at one point, but they left once things got crazy and the WB made us register dangit! One that I'll mention cuz she was great was Shirlz, who was always a calming, respectful influence.

And before Penny threatens us with her club again, remember that bit w/ the claddaugh rings in the eye of the Beast? Like ME's going to spend $3,000 on claddaugh ring contacts when they wouldn't even buy enough material for one of CC's shirts.