Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 03-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #91
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
But this was the first of many Minear episodes where Cordy was only competent off-screen. I know it's like kicking a sacred cow, but why people fall all over Minear when the only characters he ever wrote very well were Angel, Kate, and Darla is something I don't get.
Because, you know, the show is called ANGEL. I guess if I had liked Kate and Darla (and really, they weren't that popular anyway) I probably would've been a Minear fan myself. But then again, he was practically the only one writing for them and if I didn't like them, it's his fault I didn't.

Speaking of Minear, you guys skipped "Sanctuary". I'll take it.

"Hi, bye."

The end.

I still think Cordy leaving was ooc, no matter what Minear says. If this ep had aired at the beginning of S1, I possibly could've bought it. But her just up and leaving after "Somnambulist" (which Minear also wrote) with her "people change" speech (which I know was originally written for Doyle) just didn't seem right to me.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-06-2004 at 02:49 PM.
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:03 PM   #92
rageflower

I'm retroactivel taking "She"

This episode had one of the crappiest storylines, but it had great Cordy and great Angel/Cordy interaction. This is the ep where Cordy has her party, we see Angel dancing and Wes dancing.

The morning after the party the only coffee in the office is in bean form and Cordy tells Angel to mush the bag with his vampire strength. Which he does later in the episode to hilarious effect. This is also one of the first episodes in which we see that Angel is technologically challenged when it comes to cell phones.

I really watch this episode just for the fang gang interaction and fast forward the hot chicks on ice.

Danielle
rageflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #93
Platypus
The Pointy End

Haven't had time to post here in a while, but I'll pick things up with Reunion. Sigh. Another Tim Minear joint, another Cordy light episode. In spite of that, I actually enjoyed the Season 2 Beige!Angel! arc immensely until it concluded so lamely with "Epiphany".

It always makes me laugh when I read other posters comment on how Cordy abandoned Angel in Season 2. We see in "Reunion" that she's still desperately trying to both help him and talk reason into him. She knows he's been driven round the bend by Wolfram & Hart, and she tries to be supportive, but she's also smart enough to know that this is exactly what they want and that he's not thinking rationally.

And yet, when she's hit with a vision, the gang practically has to beg Angel to divert course. He's single-minded, and shows no care at all for Cordy's pain or the mission. After the scene with the lawyers in Holland Manner's wine cellar, she's still trying to make him see that the path he is on leads nowhere good. And then, of course, he fires her. Selfish manpire.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #94
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Redefinition is one of those episodes that was great when viewed alone, but within the season's arc, it promised far more than it delivered. ("That wasn't Angelus. Who was that?" Why, it was Just-Needed-to-Get-LaidAngel. Bah.) It also was disappointing in that the best scenes, C/W/G at Caritas, played into the three-headed organism mentality that reduced C/W/G to bit players. ::sigh:: Anyway, there were some classic Cordy moments. "What just happened?" "We were fired." "No, what just happened?" And who could forget "I'll tell you what's really evil. Tequila."

Probably the best Cordy scene didn't make it into the episode though. The shooting script has a scene where Cordy is ranting to Dennis, listing everything that's bad about Angel firing them. Dennis' response is to turn on the TV in mid-rant, whereupon Cordy declares, "Oh, I'm sorry, Dennis. Is my pain boring you? You dead guys are so insensitive." and locks herself in her bedroom. Ah, the things we missed out on.

Last edited by SamIAm; 03-08-2004 at 08:58 PM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 PM   #95
Platypus
The Pointy End

That does sound like a good scene Terry. ME's motto should really be "the greatest stories never told".

On to Blood Money. As Terry noted above, this was the part of Season 2 where Cordy, Wes and Gunn were sacrificed to the Angel/Darla/Lindsey triangle. First thing we note - of the three, Cordy is the most pissed at Angel's selfish phase. She doesn't even want to hear his name spoken. She has... ahem... graciously offered up her apartment as office space for the trio, but of course that doesn't mean she's running a 24 hour youth hostel.

The nice part is that this is the episode that has the three of them realizing that they don't actually NEED the mopey one in order to fight evil, and that they can do it on their own. And for the record? The Chase Agency was the best name of the lot.

Now is the time at ST when we all dance and sing: I got a gun and my name is Gunn..

Old 03-08-2004, 11:28 PM   #96
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus

Now is the time at ST when we all dance and sing: I got a gun and my name is Gunn..
SQUEEEE!

Sorry...carry on.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:27 PM   #97
PassionBTVS

That is one of my fave parts, but I cant seem to find the eppy it was in so I can watch it again and again. It must be brain fart day.
Cordy's Team #162
Illyria: We cling to what is gone. Is there anything in this life but grief?.
Gunn:Come on, Sparky, let’s go: this heart ain’t gonna cut itself out.

thanks Psychofilly for the avie!!
PassionBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #98
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by PassionBTVS
That is one of my fave parts, but I cant seem to find the eppy it was in so I can watch it again and again. It must be brain fart day.
Cordy's Cabbage Patch dance is from "Blood Money," if I remember correctly. Not much worth rewatching except for that part, hence the uncertainty.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:26 PM   #99
PassionBTVS

Well, that explains why I never see that scene..

Whoopsy!
Cordy's Team #162
Illyria: We cling to what is gone. Is there anything in this life but grief?.
Gunn:Come on, Sparky, let’s go: this heart ain’t gonna cut itself out.

thanks Psychofilly for the avie!!
PassionBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:47 PM   #100
CAMartin
Oh! A bird!

Awwww. That made me so nostalgic that i popped in the ep and played the scene over and over.
.... I'm not obsessed...
CAMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:04 AM   #101
Platypus
The Pointy End

Hmmm. We seem to have stalled a bit, so I'll pick it up again with Happy Anniversary.

A mediocre episode, it sees the Angel-less and nameless new investigations team of Cordy, Wes and Gunn finding a new office. It's worth noting that Cordy seems to realize that she, at least, has no choice but to continue, because of the visions. But that's not her sole motivator - she has, at this point, completely assimilated the mission as her own, as something that she has to do because it has to be done.

Quote:
Wesley: "Angel Investigations without the angel. - You think we can do it?"
Cordy: "Well, we better. I mean, what else can we do? And I still have the visions. That'll keep us busy sometimes."
Going slightly off-topic, but Gunn gives us a good variation on the "there's always a lower place" line while the three of them are mired in bit of self-pity and depression about their fortunes:

Quote:
Gunn: "Yeah. And don't try to tell us there is no way to go but up, because the truth is - there is always more down."
Not that there's much time spent on the three of them in this episode (which is too busy telling us how depressed Angel is about his unlife), but they succeed and at least these guys know how to have a little fun. More dancing at the end of the episode (without a little "My name is Gunn" song), but Cordy notices when someone enters their new office who needs help, and the gang soldiers on.

Next!

Old 03-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #102
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Angel's relegated to supporting player! Kate's back! Cordy, Gunn and Wes are back in the PLOT A part! And I'm back too! Did y'all miss me? Good...

Anyway... I loved the bit with Cordy reassuring Mrs Sharp (One of Virginia’s rich friends? You’ve certainly come to the right place.)that whatever the problem was they could sort it and then freaking out because the little girl had an eye in the back of her head. Then when Wesley says they can help "I knew you came to the right place."

Then Cordy's riff about Gunn and Angel "Gunn graduated with a major in dumb planning from Angel university, he sat at the feet of the master and learned well how to plan dumbly."

One of the funniest lines for me was this "I’m an actress, I can fake it." Mainly because i'd gone out the room for a bit and came back in to hear Cordy saying that, and not the bit about folding laundry... made me giggle. Anyway, not long after that cordy sees some clothes that she finds familiar. "I have a shirt just like that, the girl at the store said it was one of a kind." Well, Anne knew that angel gave her the clothes and that Cordy used to work with Angel, so she should have told Cordy why they were there. Also, just to stress the importance of the clothes swapping, there was a segment in the 'previously on...' bit that was entirely irrelevant to the story. It was merely there because it had Cordy wearing that top in it.

Then Cordy started looking after Wesley with a very confused paramedic and convinced the others they were going to take him to the hospital - only to be attacked by zombie cops. Then as she is on the phone trying to get help, we presume, but from who, we dont know... "This is no time for circuits busy! So don’t tell me circuits are busy! If the circuits are busy… get some new circuits! Now!"

And Then Cordy's last moment of the episode comes against Angel. She's the only one to see him in the hospital and she shows how hurt she has been by Angel..."Well, that’s great, too bad it makes a gun shot wound to make you give a crap. Wesley doesn’t need you right now, we don’t need you. You walked away, do us a favour and just stay away. "

And that's the end of the ep!

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:31 PM   #103
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

Excellent analysis. Thin Dead Line is one of my favorite episodes.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 09:50 AM   #104
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Sorry; I just can't get interested in the BeigeAngel arc, given how lame it ended up being. But I'm back now.

Reprise. This is not your typical Minear episode as it's Gunn who's reduced to the 'Hi' 'Bye' role in the episode rather than Cordelia, but then Minear more than makes up for that in the next episode. In this one, we have what is possibly the most intense scene Cordy and Angel ever shared. Were it not for Wesley, I maintain Cordy and Angel would be standing there still, each unwilling to back off of what he/she wanted. A marked contrast to when Fred got in Angel's way in "Forgiving." The follow up scene with Cordy ranting to Wesley about Angel clearly (to me anyway) spelled out just how deeply hurt she has been by the whole BeigeAngel arc. To the naysayers I say there's no way Cordy could be that hurt unless her feelings for Angel ran equally deep.

Anyway, if just for the elevator scene, this is one of the best episodes of the series. (Ignoring "Home" and on, of course, which makes a mockery of the elevator scene.) The ending was excellent in setting up all three of the main players, and Kate, on the verge of losing it all. A very satisfying build up to a rather mundane ending.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:41 PM   #105
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Epiphany

Act One

Angel Darla Sex
Angel not Evil
Darla Three Times (!)
Angel save Kate
Angel kicked out
Darla Lindsay talk
Angel Visit Lorne
Lorne give advice

And onto what we all came for. Cordelia. How can they do that? Set up Cordy to be in trouble and leave it for an entire act before even mentioning it in the next episode? Hmmmm...

Anyway not much to say about her first scene, although she was very very stupid. A dark house whose occupants have had demon troubles and the door is open. Also they know you're coming. And nobody answers. She did NOT want the money that bad! I beleive she carried on going cos she wanted to help. Also! When did the Powers just throw visions at Cordy like that when it was not possible for her to help! She suffered, only to see herself suffering several moments later! What was that about?

Liked Cordelia's repetition of the demons wheel-ed one. She sounded so nervous! And it was only Wesley.

There wasnt any brilliant Cordy quotes in this episode, but of the few we have heres a favourite of mine. Basically, Cordy's on the floor and has jsut awoken, then the demon walks in behind her...

"Oh God, you’re still here. You’re not leaving are you? And no one’s coming for me, no one’s expecting me any place. No one’s going to miss me. And how come I can see you?"

But the Cordelia moment of the episode has to be in response to Angel's 'Are you ok?':

"No. You really hurt my feelings."

Anyway, then there's some blah with Kate. And Angel goes to the gang and asks if he can work for them.

I think that what would have felt more natural than this would be Angel asking them to come back, Wesley and Gunn thinking about it and Cordy saying "No. Nauh. No way. Nein. But we might let you work for us..."

I think that would have been better rather than Angel just inviting himself in... but oh well, Minear knows best and all that...

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote