Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 03-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #136
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ok, if nobody else is reading these or posting any then... i dont care, cos i'm amusing myself...

Anyway, we're onto Lullaby

We open with the gang waiting for Darla to give birth and Cordy holding up a stake. Anyone else think she's gonna plunge that into the kid ASAP and then turn it on Darla? Anyway, Wesley says he wants' the prophecies on hand to guide them and Cordy shouts out "Please! Women have been giving birth without ancient prophecies for years!"

Anyway, they all get thrown across an alley by an in pain Darla "Well, you know what they say; birth -painful." And Wes is the only one to get knocked out... must be something about Watchers (SEE: Nearly every episode of buffy with Giles in it) And Cordy wakes him up with a couple of slaps... must be something about Watchers (SEE: Gingerbread)

Anyway Cordy breaks the rules of English grammar when Fred talks about the confluence of events... "And the sudden appearance of an eighteenth century vampire hunter in the twenty first century does seem pretty confluey." Which i'm sure is what we were all thinking...

Anyway then Lorne's trying to sort out his sanctuary spell and Cordy slaps Gunn around the head to see if it works casually as she's reading a magazine... Anyway she doesnt really get a lot else to do this ep apart from hand Wesley a rhino to fight with (The exact quote it "A rhino" in case you wanted to know)

But she does ask Gunn "Do you always have to be so damned honest?" Pot. Kettle. Black. Remember "Tact is just not saying true stuff, i'll pass"

Oh and to Darla: "You're welcome"

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #137
Jezza

Quote:
Originally posted by Bert
Ok, if nobody else is reading these or posting any then... i dont care, cos i'm amusing myself...
I am! I'm reading! Please don't stop, I'm so enjoying this thread. I'm sorry not to post - not being lazy, it's just that the summaries are so good, I don't think I'd be up to scratch. Just think of me as the audience going wild...
"Charisma's return for this celebratory tale lifts David Fury's script and direction to something close to awesome. Queen C dominates the episode as as only yummy mummy Charisma can." BBCi on Your Welcome

"Don't shoot until you see the whites of their sepulchres." Kenneth Tynan
Jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #138
shar

Quote:
I'm with Jezza please dont leave us i love this thread and your reviews are great .
So thanks for them and we're waiting with bated breath for the next.
shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:51 PM   #139
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
I was going to do "Offspring," but I guess I waited too long. There's no way anyone who liked "Lullaby" wants me to do that episode.

So I'll do "Dad," and then let someone else have "Birthday."

This was an episode light on Cordy. Light on everyone really, except Angel and that log wrapped up to look like a newborn. But as little of actual interest that happens in "Dad," there is this little bit of dialogue from Cordelia:

"We're going outside, where your son is gonna wanna go play. Where you have to rush him to the hospital if he gets sick in the daytime. But I see your point. You can't go outside during the day like other parents because you're a vampire. And even if you weren't, you can't do everything for him."

Angel's following bravado aside, once again the truth-teller tells it like it is.

And for those who like snark, her rejoinder to the overly geekish Wes and Gunn: "If we live through this, trade in your DVD Players and get a life."
Old 03-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #140
Platypus
The Pointy End

Go Cordy, it's your Birthday, Go Cordy, it's your Birthday!!!!

Viewed in isolation (with great big blinders on as to events in Season 4), this likely stands as the greatest Cordy episode on either show. We open with Cordy cleaning up Angel's mess (again!), and ruminating on the fact that her dreams of being an actress are long gone. She's not upset, she's not whiny, she's just mature about the fact that sometimes life throws you a loop, and you never can tell where you'll end up.

It's her birthday, and the gang has prepared a surprise. Angel is his usually fumbly self (what was in the damn box Mere?!?), and it's worth noting that I think the shooting script reference to John Cusack works better than the actual reference to Jude Law, but different strokes and all.

And then she gets the mother of all visions. Even in her transcendental state (transcend THAT!), her concern is primarily for the victim. Sure, she wants to be solid - she's no martyr. But she also needs to figure out a way to let Angel know about her vision.

When Skip first offers her the deal, her heart leads her along the right path and she declines. It's worth noting that it's only after she's been manipulated into thinking that Angel doesn't respect her that she takes it. In the Alterna-Cordyverse, she's a successful beloved actress. But something just ain't right, and she knows it.

I will state for the record that my personal interpretation of this episode may not align with everyone else's - even before Season 4, I saw this as a test. I think Cordy was screwed either way - I don't think the Alterna-Cordyverse was real, and I don't think history was actually rewritten. Because all of the personal character gains made by Cordy in the previous three years were still there, and those were very much shaped by her experiences with the visions. She WAS different, she had changed, she had matured - she wasn't a saint, she was just an adult who had found compassion she never knew she had for helping the helpless, and who had found out that helping them gave her a purpose.

And so, at the end, when everything clicks in her head, she remembers that purpose and claims it as her own. Without hesitation or regret. "So, demonize me already" stands as probably the bravest and most selfless act of any member of the Scoobs or the Fang Gang throughout the history of both shows. Cordy rocked my world in this episode, which was the last great episode of AtS, as far as I'm concerned. Everything that followed was a cop-out and a sham, and it's a damn shame, too.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #141
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
...and it's worth noting that I think the shooting script reference to John Cusack works better than the actual reference to Jude Law, but different strokes and all.
Ah, well, the Jude Law part was lame, but Cusak had already been used. Willow's 'anywhere but here' in "Never Kill a Boy..." involved Cusak and ziti.

Quote:
"So, demonize me already" stands as probably the bravest and most selfless act of any member of the Scoobs or the Fang Gang throughout the history of both shows. Cordy rocked my world in this episode, which was the last great episode of AtS, as far as I'm concerned. Everything that followed was a cop-out and a sham, and it's a damn shame, too.
I have nothing to add. This point just needs to be stressed again and again and again. And what ME did with it in season four should be held against them forever.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #142
samluvsharrison
...or someone's in fun

Holy Crap! I get Provider?? Woohoo! (And that was TOTALLY not sarcasm)

I realize I'm in the minority, but I'm a big Provider fan. AND it was on today. What luck.

Provider is Maternal!Cordy at her finest. Lots of Cordelia and baby Connor scenes. Any episode that focuses on that great big heart of hers is aces in my book.

Memorable Cordy moments:

Trying to show Connor she can float. And failing.
Her description of Angel : "He's quite the natty dresser"
"It's all snap, crackle, pop to me"
Kicking the demon in the crotch (and then in one of my all time favorite Charisma moments, she hops backwards on one foot exclaiming "ow ow ow" ... and then she growls. HIGHlarious)
Chipmunk robots on ice

For Cordelia, this was a great follow up to 'Birthday'. While we were all pretty bummed that there was no confrontation about the demonization by Angel or any of the AI members, her steadfast commitment to the mission shows us that she has no regrets. This episode also does a great job of manuevering Cordelia into the mommy role, establishing the family dynamic that made the C/A romance even more adorable.

Final bed scene. Everybody now: "awwwwwww"
Charisma's Bitch #3.6|Shiny Happy Person #3.14159265|Fred Fanatic #Pi|Team Cordy™ #135
samluvsharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #143
jujube1013
spank your inner moppet

ok here's my little fanwank on "birthday".
two different things were going on. Cordy got a "vision" but it was from jasmine and it knocked her out and sent her out of her body. when angel went to see the conduits they said that she was destined to die and i think she was, the visions were going to kill her and she knew and she was going to let it happen and not tell anyone. while Cordy was out of her body skip came and manipulated her by showing her what could have been but giving her messages , letting her remember parts of it., plus the only part of angels rant that skip let Cordy hear was the bad part, so she would want to see the other side. if she hadn't seen the other side she wouldn't have seen the crazy angel and decided to become half-demon. now if she hadn't gone through any of this she would have died and jasmine couldn't have used her. i haven't wanked why but i'm going with jasmine and w&h to get angel in. and they got what they wanted.
but the ptbs had nothing to do with it , they were blocked out , they were expecting Cordy to die like they told angel when they were throwing him around. you have to listen carefully. and jasmine has been insid of Cordy just a little since "birthday", then when skip manip. CC to ascend jasmine completely took over.
jujube1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:23 AM   #144
buffy_angel2000

Yay, I got Waiting in the Wings, this has to be one of my favourite episodes!

In my opinion, this was one of the two episodes where Cordelia and Angel were close to getting together, only Groo had to bloody well show up; the other episode is 'Tomorrow' incase you're interested. It's also the episode that made me a C/A fan- yes I needed the obvious episode to convert.

Cordelia at the ballet was so great, though I’m still wondering why exactly Angel bought seats that would have him with Cordy, and the love triangle on the row below, ‘cause I don’t think they would really care how that would appear on screen. But Cordy falling asleep on Angel was a classic Cordy moment, and one which I didn’t really expect. Angel and Cordy really seemed to any outsider to be a couple there, they walked in arm in arm and everything.

I don’t think I even have to mention how much I loved them going backstage together. They didn’t however seem to catch onto the fact that the spirits possess those that have similar feelings, cause why was Wesley the one who was possessed by the count, and specifically right after he saw Gunn and Fred kiss?

Memorable Quotes

Cordy: "At ease, soldier. Just like to hear it every now and then. I was the ditziest bitch in Sunnydale, could have had any man I wanted. Now I'm all superhero-y and the best action I can get is an invisible ghost who's good with the Loohfah."

Cordy: "Whoa! - Did - did I actually just ask you to undress me?"

Cordy: "I'm only alive when you're inside me."

Cordy: "It's a clue! Those spirits or - or energy or - or whatever are still in there. So we can figure out what happened. We have to go back in!"

Cordy: "Well, I've got my little cross if things get out of hand. (Angel won't look at her) Hey - it's awkward, but it's not *us.* So long as nothing is removed or - inserted it's all forgotten."
Angel: "It is us - Cordelia. It's you and me. - Kissing you, it's... - It's not something I can just..."
Cordy: "Oh, come on. It's not *that* horrible. (Turns to walk down the hall) Up to his ass in demon gore - fine! But ask him to mack on a hottie and he wigs. My champion, ladies and gentlemen."

Taking a break from the mostly C/A nature of this post so far, Cordelia is also great with trying to set up Wesley and Fred in this episode, though her plan fails, alone with Lorne's attempt at getting Angel and Cordelia together.

Cordy's pep talk with Wes, and the conversations slippery slide into the gutter, I found were fantastic, and definitely worth re-watching, more than once in my case. What I don't like about her little endeavor is that when Wesley is heartbroken at the end, she doesn't seem to notice, and never really ever appologises for giving him false confidence.

Quote:
Cordy: "You know, we should probably just not talk about - our little adventure. Anything that might have been seen, anything that might have been, oh (lets out a laugh) perky."

Angel turning away: "I just wanna pretend it never happened."

Cordy: "Exactly."

Angel: "Wipe it from my memory."

Cordy: "What? - Was it, like, disgusting?"

Angel: "No! I, ah... I would, I would just want... If we were to... - I would just want it to be... - new. Start at the beginning."

Cordy shaking her head: "Lost me in the middle."

Angel: "Cordy - you and I, we've been working together for - a long time. (Cordy lets out a short 'duh' kind of laugh) What I mean is, you've become a truly extraordinary woman. (Cordy grins) I know we haven't always gotten along, but - I think that we, you know, we..."

Cordy: "Groo?"

Angel: "Yes! We - we-we grew - closer together, I think..."

Cordy runs past Angel yelling: "Groo!"

Groo: "Princess!"
It's a long quote, but to me it's really the crux of the episode. I personally remember starting to watch the episode, not really having considered Angel and Cordelia as more than friends, (even though I'd seen 'Offspring', must be the shitty 10:30pm-11:30pm time slot it gets over here at best), but with this ending I found myself yelling at the TV screen because of the injustice of it all, and because Angel should have stopped stalling and asked her out before Groo had to open his big mouth.

Though ending with three broken hearts, the third belonging to the person watching it, this episode was still one of the best, and will continue to be one of those tapes whose quality keeps on getting worse and worse because it’s watched so much.

I realised writing this that I haven’t actually seen this episode since at least November, so I think tonight I’ll pull it out and enjoy all the C/A goodness.
Charisma's Bitch 74 Hangin' Maniac #21
Blah, blah, blah

Last edited by buffy_angel2000; 03-27-2004 at 12:49 AM.
buffy_angel2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:20 AM   #145
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Quote:
Wow... one little comment and half the season gets done without me... I knew i'd never get Birthday, but i missed Waiting in the Wings? GRRR

Anyway, the next one is Couplet

Which has a classic misunderstanding after Cordy and Groo arrive at the Hyperion...
Cordy: Oh, relax. If there's one thing Groo knows, it's how to handle a weapon. - Poor guy. Looks like that's about all he's gonna be handling
Angel: You mean, ah, you two didn't...
Cordy: I got him home last night and we started... you know. - But then - I couldn't go through with it.
Angel: You couldn't?
Cordy: No. Not after seeing that disgusting, spiny thing!
Angel throws a look at Groo before following Cordy into Wes' office.
Angel: Spiny?
Cordy: Right up in my face!

Oh, and then our Cordy complains about the visions. There's no pain anymore, but they do smell a bit... I'm willing to wager she misses the pain, I mean, at least she knew when she was having a vision with those...

Wes: You should have called one of us.
Cordy: Oh, please! Like I'm gonna bother you guys in the middle of the night because I want sex and can't have it.

I love that!!! She's not calling them for sex, simply because she doesnt want to bother them? Great!!! Anyway, it's been a while for poor Cordy... i'm sure she'll make up for that over the next three episodes... but that's a different story... Oh and i love Wes's snarky "Oh, if you wanna play it that way..." when cordy says she could lose her visionity...

Cordy: I mean, there's gotta be other things we can do to relieve the tension!
Angel: Jogging could be the thing.
Wes: Perhaps some form of paranormal prophylactic...
Angel: Because, you know, jogging...
Cordy: I guess we could probably 'com' without actually 'shucking.'

Oh, i loved this, Wesley trying to help whatever, Angel putting her off completely and Cordy wondering just how far she can go. I wanted a conversation about what would actually count as 'com' before it got into 'shucking' but that's just the child in me coming out...

"At least I won't be upsetting the average around here. Nobody in *this* office is ever gonna get any."

Well, give it a year and you will have had Groo and Connor and Angel in a dream sequence. Wesley and Lilah would have been 'shucking' like bunnies and Gunn and Fred will have had a fair bit as well. Wow. There's a lot of sex over the next year...

This episode really starts it off though as it is full of double entendre and references to sex, for example. Cordy making an unconscious judgement about differenes between Groo and Angel when she hands Groo a huge broadsword and hands Angel a tiny little axe. As the transcriber over at BuffyWorld.com puts it, "Angel turns the ax in his hand, looking at the small head on it."

Anyway more entendre

Cordy: Are you sure?
Groo: I'm sure.
Cordy: Good. Don't worry. I practiced plenty on Cousin Timmy when we were kids.

But she's only talking about cutting his hair and modelling him into some sort of FakeAngel. A Fangel!

Angel: There is no list. You know that. Just - just tell me what I can do.
Cordy: I need you to help me have sex. ---

We interupt this broadcast to tell all C/Aers need to turn off thier videos and stop watching the Angel series for ever. However if you did watch the rest, then we can carry on with the scheduled programming. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Cordy: With Groo. ARRRGHGHHGHH! NO!!!

"...com-shuck like bunnies. You betcha." Hehehehe... when i wrote about Lilah and Wesley shucking like bunnies, i'd forgotten about this line...

Anyway they get the potion and Cordy heals them all up and Angel gives them some money and tells them to pretty much 'shuck off for the next three weeks while my world falls apart, ok?'

Anyway, we got some lovely title shots of Cordy during Loyalty, Sleep Tight and Forgiving, didnt we?

Old 03-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #146
rousedower
cancelled

"Double Or Nothing".

Cordy is back from vacation with Groo, all smiles and bearing gifts. She finds out what happened with Connor and immediately goes to Angel. She just walks into his room, sits down next to him and puts her hand on his shoulder. He just bows his head in defeat as if she's the only one he'll break down in front of, he'll only let her see his vulnerable side. I like how she's just there for him. They don't speak, and she doesn't push him until he's ready to talk about it.

She and Gunn are talking about Fred, he's in love and happy. But he feels guilty with everything that's been going on with Wes and Connor. Cordy tells him that it's okay for him to be happy, he's only human. Shades of her conversation with Angel in "Heartthrob". She's sort of the go-to-girl in this ep. She swoops in and takes charge and takes care of her friends, well... except for Wesley. But we know that Cordy doesn't forgive so easily.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-27-2004 at 10:33 AM.
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:21 AM   #147
CordysBoy87
Cordy/Angel 4 ever!

Here is my fave Cordy Scene-

from Angel - Season 5 - Eppy 100 (youre welcome?)

Cordy: (with tears in her eyes) Don't make it hard, Angel. I'm just on a different road... and this is my off-ramp. The Powers That Be owed me one, and I didn't waste it. I got my guy back on track.

Angel: Cordy, there's just—

Cordy: We take what we can get champ and we do our best with it. I'll be seeing you. (smiles turns to walk out of the office) (stops turns around walks quickly up to Angel) Oh what the hell. One for the road? (kisses Angel, then the telephone rings)

Angel: You know um I dont I don't need to get that.

Cordy: That you have to get. Oh and youre welcome.

Angel: (answers the phone) Hello. Yes, I know. Shes but that's impossible. Shes standing right (turns to Cordelia but shes not there) Im sorry Yeah. When did she die? Did she um... she never did wake up? I see. (hangs up, looks to where Cordy was standing) Thank you.

~~~
I also love the scene where Cordy kills Lilah in Angel season 4 ...

Another fave scene of mine is in Buffy season 2 (i belive the eppy is "when she was bad") Buffy is being a bitc- to xander, willow, & angel at at bronze and cordy fallows her outside and tells her how it is
~~~

Fave Cordy Moment-
in buffy season 3 when after she was almost killed she dumps Xander and the next day we see her get out of her car at school in a sexy dark red dress and some goth type music plays... thats an amazing scene

Cordy: (with tears in her eyes) Don't make it hard, Angel. I'm just on a different road... and this is my off-ramp. The Powers That Be owed me one, and I didn't waste it. I got my guy back on track.
Angel: Cordy, there's just—
Cordy: We take what we can get champ and we do our best with it. I'll be seeing you. (smiles turns to walk out of the office) (stops turns around walks quickly up to Angel) Oh what the hell. One for the road? (kisses Angel, then the telephone rings)
Angel: You know um I dont I don't need to get that.
Cordy: That you have to get. Oh and youre welcome.
Angel: (answers the phone) Hello. Yes, I know. Shes but that's impossible. Shes standing right (turns to Cordelia but shes not there) Im sorry Yeah. When did she die? Did she um... she never did wake up? I see. (hangs up, looks to where Cordy was standing) Thank you.
CordysBoy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #148
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ok, after Double Or Nothing we have 'The Price' Ok, i'm really trying to do this one but i'm having a little trouble so it prolly won't be as long as my others. This episode has Cordy helping the others to repair the damage done to the hotel. She says that Angel will never be able to fix the cracks made during the earthquake. And how right she was. Angel never did repair the cracks made during those three episodes where Cordy was absent. anyway, some stuff happens and Angel mentions it never snowing in California. Cordy says that it did once. Not only was she not talking to the gang during this time, she wasn't even in the country, so probably shouldnt know why what even happened. "Angel's feelings are the only ones I care about. He's my priority. I got dosed with demon DNA for that man. I'm semi-demon!" Cos she loves him

Ok, another clue as to the badness of the next two seasons. "You think The Powers beam me pretty pictures purely for my amusement?! It tells me when someone's in danger and this time that someone's you!"

Angel is in danger. The danger turns out to be Connor. Angel
the series is in danger from Connor. Yup. What made everything go wrong next season? ConCord. UGH!

Anyway Cordy is later in danger from one of the big old sluggy things, and she saves herself. Not some hero guy, SHE SAVES HERSELF! YAY!

Also i loved the transition of tones in this next line. "What, they glow in the dark? How's that supposed to help us, unless we shut off all the lights in the holy crap you're not serious." That one was funny and of course turning the ep into a horror movie... Also love her OH MY GOD! We have a pool?! Very Cordy. I did like that.

Anyway she stayed with Angel to help him fight and good job she did, cos she starts glowing and then eradicates all the little slug things...

Then The Destroyer arrives. What a fitting nickname. Also there's a bit where Groo calls Cordy a goddess. Foreshadowing...

Old 03-31-2004, 03:03 PM   #149
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

A New World sees Angel facing off Connor and Connor firing stakes. Everyone is too shocked to do anything apart from Cordy who throws Angel a sword. Would have so loved it if he had just been so dumbfounded that he didnt move, the sword clunked him on the head, he fainted and then they went to the credits...

Anyway, back to what actually happened, Wes, Gunn and Angel fight while Cordy is guarding Fred and Lorne from trouble. That's her i usually dont fight instincts mixing with her maternal instincts, nice.

Gunn: Couple of weeks ago he was wearing diapers. Now he's a teenager?
Cordy: Tell me we don't live in a soap opera.

No, Cordy, it's something much worse. Much, much worse. It's JossVille. No one is happy especially strong sexy females. And if they are, then shortly after they're going to die. It's just the wonk of the world.

Cordy: You know, we can't all walk out of here when we have a cosmic crack hanging over us.

The child in me, pissed myself, when i read this... Hehehehehehehe....

Cordy: Angel does all that 'ninja statue, don't move a muscle or you're dead' stuff, too. Me, I wouldn't last ten minutes. Of course, heels? Not helping.

Yeah, but you do look good... Just a little sidenote, I was printing off my English coursework - writing to inform. I informed about, Cordy, ok? - and the librarian woman was seeing how much it would cost to print it in colour and she saw Charisma's age and was like 'Wow, I didnt realise she was that old. She looks great for her age' Guess she's a fan... She charged me less for the printing as well...

Ok, back to A New World and something else has come through the big cosmic crack and it was the big cosmic turd that is Holtz, they just dont know it yet. Anyway, Cordy - ever so elegantly - when asked if they saw anything...

Nothing. Standing, talking, boom - knocked on our butts.

Here we meet the blue haired lady who just makes me laugh, and i think we should have seen more of her throughout the series for light relief, but oh well... Anyway, nothing really more about Cordy in this episode... Oh well...

Anyone fancy doing Benediction? If not, i'll be back with that tomorrow evening, same time, same channel and with pretty much the same review with some of the names changed and old quotes replaced with new.

Hey, Joss did it with season 5....

Old 04-01-2004, 01:21 AM   #150
rousedower
cancelled

I haven't been posting because I don't like this arc. But I'll do the next one because it wasn't that bad an ep.

"Benediction". One of the few times Minear did Cordy right. But this being a Minear joint, she doesn't have that big of a role.

Cordy is very supportive of Angel here, encouraging him to bond/interact with Connor. She's happy for him, them. When Connor finds out that she is part demon, he attacks her but she stops him by touching his face and glowing. She cleanses him of his pain. A very sweet scene that I initially liked because I wanted there to be a connection between Cordy and Connor. Anyway, Angel thanks her for it. Later, Angel goes off to kill Holtz for taking Connor from him and turning him against him. Cordy has no problem with that. At the end, she mistakes Groo for Angel, which is the beginning of the end for those two.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote