Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 11:38 PM   #196
felmitch
"Still The One"

Quote:
Originally posted by KarKar
Gawd, that was a great C/A episode. Hands all over each other, the Purple Garanimals, the touching, the statements as to how well they know each other, and the smiles. Oh lor the smiles when he sees her in the beginning.
I just love that smile. It was so genuine and he was really glad to see her...them.
"Uh-oh, vampire with a gun." -Angelus
"Whoops. Dinner by armed robbery." -Angelus
"Break me off a switch son. There's about to be a whuppin'." -Faith
"I really do love you Connor." -Angel. "So what are you going to do about it?" -Connor. "Prove it." -Angel (such a touching scene between father and son).
felmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #197
Persephone

Sigh. Heartthrob. Best season opener ever. But oh no! What's this? Strange...feelings... Old...wounds...opening... C/A love...re-emerging... Oh crap. S3 gets me every time.

Plus, loved the walkout scene together at the end. Just loved it to bits. That's the family.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:19 PM   #198
jujube1013
spank your inner moppet

sort of ot
i was just watching "dead man's party" and did anyone notice when they were trying to barricade the door and the zombies crashed through the door, oz got caught, buffy, willow, xander and joyce all ran upstairs leaving poor oz in the zombie's clutches who saved him?
CORDY!!!!
then she went up against what she thought was zombie giles, so even then you could see that she was a hero.
jujube1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:45 AM   #199
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally posted by jujube1013
sort of ot
i was just watching "dead man's party" and did anyone notice when they were trying to barricade the door and the zombies crashed through the door, oz got caught, buffy, willow, xander and joyce all ran upstairs leaving poor oz in the zombie's clutches who saved him?
CORDY!!!!
then she went up against what she thought was zombie giles, so even then you could see that she was a hero.
I noticed that, even when I wasn't the biggest of Cordy fans. I think that, despite showing her shallow side back on BtVS, they also showed that Cordy could be loyal (promising to stay with Xander even when she thought he was the Creature from the Black Lagoon) and courageous (driving through a sea of vampires to save Willow and Jenny). These are all little things people who want to believe Cordy's heroism on AtS was "new" and "out of the blue" like to forget.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:04 PM   #200
rolandro

This is slightly off topic, but inspired by DannyBlue -

People also tend to forget that Cordy was humbled as a Senior, her family (although never present) was broken up, her college fund seized, had her well-fortified heart stolen and literally punctured by Xander, and she was rediculed by the Cordettes. She also remained a reluctant Scooby even though they were the source of her deepest pain. And yet she still manages to make it through this most horrible of years grace and style, giving as well as she got. Cordy was a force of nature, an extremely powerful personality. Gosh, even Buffy conceded that ("that'll teach them to mistake you for a Slayer." - Mistake???)

People also tend to forget that as teenagers most of us played all of the roles from bitch to victim, from nice to mean, from 'in' to 'loser.' In fact, I'd say that, if given half a chance most of us not only acted mean, but actually ENJOYED those rare opportunites (for us 'nice' kids) to inflict severe emotional damage on somebody weaker than ourselves. I know I was picked on, and I also remember being very, very mean (and with a tongue like mine, too.) Nice kids turned on you when you least expected it; mean kids got their feelings hurt just like the rest of us.

But that was High School, for crying out loud. Everybody was like that, a vampire, a werewolf, a victim - all in one. That was the deal.

HS is a great place to be FROM and many people - 'nice' and 'not-so'- want to move on quickly. I had friends in Jr High that dissed me in HS because I wasn't cool enough become my friends again in our early 20's. I did the same with kids I'd dissed.

In Cordy's case, her plumeting social and financial status made her leave Sunnydale so quick she didn't bother to learn that Harmony was vamped at graduation. By the time Cordy meets Angel in 'City of' she's barely subsisting on Humble Pie and hope. Not very nourishing stuff, but it does tend to make you grateful. Gratitude and learning to trust in the charity of others are the primary motivators for many of the selfless choices she makes further on. I've never really gotten how people like to pidgeon-hole Cordy so. Are they still IN High School? Or else on the reunion committee, perhaps?
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #201
starlet2367
glitterati

Quote:
Originally posted by Persephone
Sigh. Heartthrob. Best season opener ever. But oh no! What's this? Strange...feelings... Old...wounds...opening... C/A love...re-emerging... Oh crap. S3 gets me every time.

Plus, loved the walkout scene together at the end. Just loved it to bits. That's the family.
Oh, God. Heartthrob. My favorite ep of S3--and almost my fave ep ever. The smiles, the touches, the humor, the HOPE. Plus, widescreen format that really got used to its fullest potential. That was some kickass filmage, oy vey.

Whenever I need a pick-me-up I pull out this ep. Makes me smile every time. :sniffle: Like Perseph says, there's our little family.

Kel
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:46 PM   #202
LaLa247
Wooo!

Tonight is That Vision Thing! SQUEEEE! /fan girl

Kinda off-topic, but they gave Birthday on FOX Saturday night, and I was just remembered how completely willing Cordelia was to go through more pain (and possible deformities) to help Angel and the mission, and how Angel never really had a clue of how much she sacrificed.

It just pisses me off they fucked it up in S4 instead of having Angel deal with the fact that Cordy sacrificed her life, literally, for him and his mission. There could've been an arc right there.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #203
starlet2367
glitterati

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLa247
It just pisses me off they fucked it up in S4 instead of having Angel deal with the fact that Cordy sacrificed her life, literally, for him and his mission. There could've been an arc right there.
Don't. Even. Get. Me. Started.

:grits teeth:

But, hey! TVT! You can bet I'll be watching this one.

Kel
Old 12-08-2003, 02:17 PM   #204
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Of course I'm watching TVT on TNT. It would have aired on Friday if not for golf! And I was seriously honked off. Never mind that I've seen it a million times. Never mind that I have it on tape. Never mind that I watched it in syndication just a month or so back. How dare they pre-empt TVT for golf!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #205
tojoson

TVT:

cordy's voice, how did she get that strained sound, real? fake? and if faked, how.

also when lorne was reading her, the first time she shocked him, and he said she had some power of her own, what kind of power, is it extra-human, cause lorne has read a lot of people and demons, and it looked like her power was something he hadn't come across yet.

i think this episode, and that line was what eventually started me thinking of cordy as a hidden potential (which would somewhat explain rolandro's paragraph about her sticking with the scoobies, when they were the cause of so much of her pain)

any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:58 PM   #206
DamnSkippy

I just figured she had a sore throat or strained her voice in RL. It's not like she could take a few days off to recover since they shoot these things so quickly.

Guess I don't think that deeply on some of this stuff. I just thought the "shock" he got probably came from the guy shooting her the visions from W&H. Fred talked about communicating and how it's all some form of electricity (I think, I missed that part tonight) so it kinda fit in with Lorne getting shocked when he tried to intercept "the call". Maybe.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:09 PM   #207
rolandro

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLa247
. . .Kinda off-topic, but they gave Birthday on FOX Saturday night, and I was just remembered how completely willing Cordelia was to go through more pain (and possible deformities) to help Angel and the mission, and how Angel never really had a clue of how much she sacrificed.

I watched this, and when Skip tells Cordy he can make her a hugely successful actress, Cordy's response is 'You can?' CC does an absolutely wonderful thing here - she makes you understand that this reality is clearly a second-place finisher to being vision-girlin her personal sweepstakes, like she's dissappointed that Skip can do this for her - whatever, she's not happy about it, not completely.
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:15 PM   #208
tojoson

DS:, no she shocked lorne lightly first, aand he said the line, then he went in again, and the mystic started broadcasting and it threw lorne across the room
Old 12-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #209
starlet2367
glitterati

This ep made me sad b/c I realized how many storylines got started here that were never really resolved to my satisfaction.

1. Cordy's power - what is it and how did it (or did it at all) affect her decision/her manipulation to be Jasmine's toady

2. Skip - still funny, but was he good or evil?

3. Connor's presence being inexplicable and horrible, and yet they gave him a free pass at the end. Why?

4. Billy being sort of a wimp when all was said and done

5. The visions killing Cordy; actually, the visions, period. They were part of Angel's life from the very first ep and now...oops someone check those files at W&H. Maybe we can go kill a client (yawn)

The only thing vaguely interesting to me was Angel working for W&H and everyone's response about it being so evil. And then 18 months later, they're all working for W&H. It's almost like their brains went numb. I'd say it was foreshadowing if I didn't know that ME pulled it out of their assi.

So, despite the heavy A/C action, it hasn't turned out to be one of my favorite eps. I'll tell you what I did love, though, and miss almost painfully, is that subtle, silent communication the 3 guys shared, but mostly Wes and Angel. There's no room for subtlety anymore--it's all exposition, exposition, exposition.

I know, I know. Take it to the venting thread.

Kel
Old 12-08-2003, 09:51 PM   #210
Angelia

Quote:
Originally posted by starlet2367

The only thing vaguely interesting to me was Angel working for W&H and everyone's response about it being so evil. And then 18 months later, they're all working for W&H. It's almost like their brains went numb. I'd say it was foreshadowing if I didn't know that ME pulled it out of their assi.
Kel
I was thinking the same thing while watching. I especially noticed while listening to Wes's part of the conversation before Angel goes to break Billy out.

Wesley: "I don't need to explain to you that if Wolfram and Hart are behind this mission it can't be good."

Wesley: "Just because Lilah tells you that this man is wrongly imprisoned doesn't make it so."

Wesley: "Nor do I have to explain to you that helping them violates everything you stand for."

After hearing Wes say this last line I was thinking to myself 'Yet Angel's now running it and you yourself are working there.' I really hope at some point in S5 Cordy comes out of her coma and kicks all their asses for being such morons. Maybe it'll knock something back into place and get their brains working again.

After reading your list Kel you really do start to see that alot was never followed through on. I remember when S4 started that they kept saying in articles that S4 was like S3, part II. I thought we would finally be getting some follow through on stuff that was brought up in S3 and instead of getting answers all we got was more questions that now will never get answered.

I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out. ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Last edited by Angelia; 12-08-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Angelia is offline   Reply With Quote