Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #91
v120176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Tepes
SA, the one thing I've learned is never underestimate a person's determination (Joss) and their potential for stupidity (Studio heads).

Someone will give Joss his Spike movie, it's just a matter who, how and when.
I don't know if Whedon will have his Spike movie or not but I totally agree with you about the rest.

But there's one thing that could stop the movie: the numbers of both shows.
I don't know if that happened to the rest of you but I'm not from USA and when I first searched for BTVS/ATS on google I got thousands of sites. Seeing the highly repercution that both shows had on internet I thought the shows had three or four times the ratings they have.
Just think about it. Remember all the noise for BTVS ending, all the articules and publicity for the finale, all the buzz, and add to that all the books BTVS/ATS generated during all their years, the novels, the incredible number of sites boths series still have, the numbers of visits sites like Slayerverse or buffy.nu and others general sites have, the numbers of fictions (check on fanfiction.net) this fandom has... and what number Chosen did? Only 2.9
Like all the buzz for ATS cancellation, the last Buffyverse show on air, the end of that universe...... did 3.2.
The fanatism and repercution both shows have was not reflected in the ratings numbers. Ok, BTVS got good numbers specially on season 1 to 3. And ATs got a great rating on its premiere, but still seeing all the sites and forums about Buffy and Angel in all the worlds I would expect more than the numbers they have. Hell, I'd think we're talking about ER or CSI numbers. From what I checked, BTVS and ATS have more sites than 24 for example.

I think the cold numbers of both series could stop any movie.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #92
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Tepes
SA, the one thing I've learned is never underestimate a person's determination (Joss) and their potential for stupidity (Studio heads).
Yeah, too bad Whedon didn't have the same determination for BtVS and AtS (the first two successful shows he had) that he did for Firefly. That's one determined genius, right there.

Quote:
Someone will give Joss his Spike movie, it's just a matter who, how and when.
Not if that FF movie flops. He'll be back to doing uncredited re-writes on crappy movies.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #93
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa247
Yeah, too bad Whedon didn't have the same determination for BtVS and AtS (the first two successful shows he had) that he did for Firefly. That's one determined genius, right there.
I never got to see Firefly. Did it last for season at least?

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #94
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside
I never got to see Firefly. Did it last for season at least?
Only eleven episodes, I think.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #95
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

If he wasn't buried immediately after the ending of BtVS and AtS when he was publicly feuding with the leads of both shows then he's not going to be buried anytime soon.

People still give Ben Afleck the go-ahead to make movies despite all of his most recent ones bombing.

More to the point, Thundercats AND Jem are being remade a la He-man with Jem being more like Avril DESPITE the flop of the 'new' He-man.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #96
Mr.Brightside
Queen Charisma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa247
Only eleven episodes, I think.
That sucks, I hope they put it on DVD.

"I grow up in Quor Toth....A Hell Dimension"
"Full of all sorts of things that you can't even imagine"

Mr.Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #97
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside
That sucks, I hope they put it on DVD.
It's already out on DVD.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #98
silveragent

V -- I do agree on the numbers (see below), though I think Sarah's world-wide recognition in the role gives her an edge that is different from other Buffy-verse characters and actors.

I think part of Joss's success in pitching is his near-Ivy background at (Wellesly?). People in Hollywood are still impressed with that (see the Harvard Mafia), insecure as they are. I think that only goes so far though. Rumor has it that Universal took editing away from Joss on Serenity and re-cut it to a PG-13 from his R. Could explain his suddenly distant attitude towards the movie in interviews. I don't see Whedon and Silver lasting much longer on WW, particularly since it's a big budget film and Joss doesn't handle budgets well (consistently went over on Buffy, Angel, Firefly).

For those interested, there's some info on the Lifetime Original Movies Here

Tidbits:

Average budget is $5 million for 2 hours.
Michelle's Lifetime movie did well, 4.2 million viewers on Lifetime (Shield does 3 million or so; Rescue Me, Six Feet Under, Entourage, Huff, Nip/Tuck all do less [source LAT articles a few weeks back not in the Variety article sorry but LAT is searchable for more info])
Lifetime is doing 17 movies this year, often from literary sources and away from "Women in Jeapordy" stuff of old.
Average deficit for indie producer is $1.3 million per movie, Lifetime only pays $3.7.
Deficit requires tax benefits (Canada, Louisiana, etc), but foreign sales have collapsed. Dunno how they continue this for long.
Majors won't do movies for Lifetime, no real profits.

Conclusion: I don't see with above numbers Fox putting a Spike movie together in order to take a bath.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote