Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Movie Mania!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Childe of Blade

Anybody got tickets to see this?

From what I've heard, the effects are fantastic, although it will still have to pass the dialogue and plot test for me.
Childe of Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Not yet. I plan on seeing it but wasn't sure if it was only showing at IMAX theaters. The closest one to me is about 40 minutes away and I really don't know if I want to drive that far to see this movie.

The effects look really good and I love Michele Rodriquez. I just watched Terminator:Salvation and really, really like Sam Worthington in that so the actors are definite draws.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
jerry

It really looks to me like a preachy "Dances With Wolves" in space. As good as the visuals may be, I'm really not interested in it.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Huh, this is interesting. I'm looking at my local movie theater and it's playing on 3 screens, regular, 3D and IMAX. I always assumed IMAX were special screens but I guess not.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Huh, this is interesting. I'm looking at my local movie theater and it's playing on 3 screens, regular, 3D and IMAX. I always assumed IMAX were special screens but I guess not.
I believe IMAX is shot on larger film for higher resolution and so it can be shown on huge screens. So the screens are only special in that they are bigger. But don't quote me.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

Was going to comment on this, but my long detailed response went up in smoke. Grr!

Short: I liked it. It was pretty. The story was a good one with a happy ending, but not syrupy happy. Just the right kind.

Wes Studi was in it! Hello?! Wes Studi is one of the most badass badasses in Hollywood. If he and Danny Trejo were to make a movie together, the level of badassery would be beyond imagination!

I may actually see this again in theaters. It was that enjoyable, and I haven't seen a movie multiple times in a theater in quite some time. One of the few was Cameron's own Titanic, but I was in Germany and listening in German. (It's been a kind of pride that as much as I like that movie, I've never *heard* it in English.)
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Saw it in 3-D. It was predictable, derivative crap, but super-shiny and pretty crap for the most part.

I did find it passingly interesting that Cameron seems to have set out to make the anti-Aliens, right down to the casting of Sigourney Weaver. In Aliens, we rooted for Weaver (and for the Marines). In Avatar, we're asked to root for Weaver (and for the Marines to be slaughtered). I'll leave it for the viewer to sort that one out.

Its biggest sin probably was the fact that there wasn't a single moment when one didn't know exactly what would happen next. Close second: the horrible, horrible dialogue. Plus it was at least a half-hour too long. I admit, I dozed off a couple of times.

All this said, I might have enjoyed it somewhat more if James Horner had turned down the music. The score is overbearing in the extreme, and that shit is on everything. Dial it back next time.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
All this said, I might have enjoyed it somewhat more if James Horner had turned down the music.
This. I have to rent it on DVD to watch it with closed captioning on just to see how bad the dialogue was 'cause I still have no idea what anyone said.

Of course, I did like it more than you, so maybe I just shouldn't bother.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Queen Of Tact
Because she's our Cordy!

I wasn't sure about this one at first, because I hadn't heard the greatest things about it... So I watched it online... I really enjoyed the movie, it was much better then I thought it would be, and I want to go see it on the big screen...

I think this movie falls into the category of either you like it or you don't
Breathe your beauty into me

By Tara Maclean

Charisma's Bitche #5
Team Cordy #190
Queen Of Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Saw it in 3-D. It was predictable, derivative crap, but super-shiny and pretty crap for the most part.
I ended up waiting for the DVD it was beautiful to look at buy totally predictable and derivative. Someone I know told me they thought it was pretty much "Fern Gully" with really cool FX.

Story wise, it reminded me of "Dances with Wolves" and "Pocahontas" but it certainly was visually stunning.