Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
ophelia

Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles

So is anyone else giving this a try? I was actually fairly entertained by tonight's episode. I'm confused about how old Cameron (Summer Glau) is supposed to be, though. Is she supposed to be a teen terminator?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
cherelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
So is anyone else giving this a try? I was actually fairly entertained by tonight's episode. I'm confused about how old Cameron (Summer Glau) is supposed to be, though. Is she supposed to be a teen terminator?
I loved it!!!!!
cherelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
Syn
insane clown girl

I quite liked it myself. I think Cameron (nice reference to James Cameron there) is supposed to be a teenager, in order to connect with her target, John.

I can't wait for the episode tomorrow night.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Liam
It's French, Bitch.

I thought it was a nice, but not great, first effort. This show could become pretty good or pretty bad, but I seriously hope for the former. Because I'd love to make a weekly appointment with Lena Headley and Summer Glau. BTW, am I the only one who sees loads of femslash fic popping up soon?
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Sadly, I only saw the first 5-10 minutes of it, the dream sequence that Sarah had at the beginning about John getting killed. I turned it off during the commerical and forgot all about it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

I thought it was pretty good, as these canon-violating things go. One thing that does bug is why Sarah gets all worked up over John surviving. They know for a fact John does survive, so whatever it is they do is the right thing to do. Takes a bit of the edge off if you know how the story ends already.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I thought it was pretty good, as these canon-violating things go. One thing that does bug is why Sarah gets all worked up over John surviving. They know for a fact John does survive, so whatever it is they do is the right thing to do. Takes a bit of the edge off if you know how the story ends already.
I always thought it was funny that the machines basically set in motion their own destruction. I guess you can look at it as a big issue, everything that should happen gets altered the minute another terminator is sent into the past.

Of course, if you want to look at it logically why do they keep coming after John and Sarah? Why not go back even further, kill Sarah when she's a kid? Or a teenager? Hell, kill her when she's 9 months pregnant!

My big concern is how does this affect T3? What about the new Terminator Movie with Christian Bale that’s coming out in 2009
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Ahhhhhhnold's desire to be the good guy did leave some interesting wrinkles in the mix. Though I thought the explanation was the good future guys captured
and reprogrammed the machine that went back?

It's already in conflict with T3 I'd say, setting Sarah up as it does to re-defeat SkyNet yet again. Some more. I'm going to guess the official stance will be the movie 'verse and the series 'verse are two different, yet related, things.

Anyway, your point as to why not go back and get Sarah before she even knows what's going on has merit. Though it does seem to me the further you go back in time, smaller changes would end up having larger and larger repercussions. See the final episode of ST:TNG, for instance.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Liam
It's French, Bitch.

The producers say that due to the nature of time travel, alternate timelines can emerge. This series basically ignores T3.

And I disagree with your logic, Sam. I think of time travel like The Doctor explains it in "Blink", as a big ball of timey wimey stuff. It can take any shape or form it like or go in any direction. Just because John and Sarah Connor have survived a couple encounters with Terminators doesn't mean one of these days they won't get knocked off and the timeline will be completely different (meaning Judgment Day goes off without a hitch and the machines take over).
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
tojoson

Quote from Morrigan
Quote:
Of course, if you want to look at it logically why do they keep coming after John and Sarah? Why not go back even further, kill Sarah when she's a kid? Or a teenager? Hell, kill her when she's 9 months pregnant!

If I was a writer, I would say it was a product of the machine mind.

All they can see is that John Conner is the danger to them, so kill John Conner. All else is irrelevant.

The good terminators can anticipate, and plan ahead (stuff in the bank vault), because they were re-programmed by humans.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojoson View Post
Quote from Morrigan
If I was a writer, I would say it was a product of the machine mind.
I think that makes the most sence, it would be nice if they just threw it in there but then again, the writers probably don't want to limit the eventual spin-off, Sarah Conner the teenage years

Quote:
All they can see is that John Conner is the danger to them, so kill John Conner. All else is irrelevant.
See but that screws with the whole concept of the original movie. They went after Sarah Conner specfically because it was best to erase the possibility of John Conner ever happening.

Quote:
The good terminators can anticipate, and plan ahead (stuff in the bank vault), because they were re-programmed by humans.
Now that's a little Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure/bogus Journey for me...*g* I really could use a Thermal Nuclear Detonator right about now...poof like magic it appears in their hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Though it does seem to me the further you go back in time, smaller changes would end up having larger and larger repercussions. See the final episode of ST:TNG, for instance
Ooh, a ST:TNG reference, you're so Da Man!
I could actually accept this as the reason why it takes place between T1 and T3.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Ratings from Sunday night

Quote:
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" premiered to an 11.1/16 at 8 p.m., keeping FOX well ahead of the competition. "The Amazing Race" drew a 6.8/10 for CBS, holding off ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," 6.3/10, for second. "Dateline" ticked up to 3.5/5 on NBC, while The CW aired a "One Tree Hill" rerun.
Not too shabby.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Platypus
The Pointy End

I'm surprised by how much I liked Lena Headey, because I was a huge Linda Hamilton fan and I was worried about how I would view a replacement. But I thought she was great.

I liked the new John Connor as well.

Overall, it was decent, but I know I'm going to be in the minority here when I say that I hated Summar Glau as the new Terminator. Hated - with a passion. And not just because I thought her acting was weak.

I'm all for a new age of television programming that makes it equal opportunity for a man or a woman to be the butt-kicking hero (and in fact Linda Hamilton was a big role model in the movies at the time for the way she transformed herself believably between the first and second movies), but the whole teeny-tiny waif as butt-kicker extraordinaire has gotten so old and cliche. Yes, she's a robot, so she doesn't need to have the muscles and the size - but I didn't notice them downgrading the male terminator model the same way.

Honestly? It would have been a nice change of pace to have had a guy play the role. Or if they were going to go with a woman, at least choose one who isn't cut out of the Buffy/Dark Angel/River/Illyria whatever mold. (Hee - they could have chosen one of the chicks from the new American Gladiators!!!)

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
tojoson

Or, they could have gone with Kristanna Loken and had a closer tie with T3.

At 5' 11" she's an imposing presence.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
DamnSkippy

I watched and it kept my attention the whole time. I thought the dream sequence in the beginning was interminable, but I had no problems with the rest.

I try not to think too hard about time travel repercussions in these movies and tv series. All you do is go around in circles and nothing can be answered definitively. For instance, why not send an army of "good" bots to destroy SkyNet instead of leaving it up to Sarah and John? Is it because destroying SkyNet would be commiting robot suicide and, therefore, against their programming? Then why not program it to allow for suicide? And if it doesn't allow for suicide, why is Cameron helping them to find the new SkyNet to destroy it?
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote