Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #46
Kit

Fox Greenlit "Kitchen Confidential"

Quote:
On the pilot pickup front, Fox has greenlighted "Kitchen Confidential," a sitcom executive-produced by "Sex and the City" creator Darren Star.

Based on the autobiography by Anthony Bourdain, executive chef at brasserie Les Halles in New York, "Kitchen" centers on a bad-boy, down-on-his-luck chef who takes over at a top New York restaurant and must fight off all the urges of his former lifestyle.
I don't know about the Bad-Boy turned Chef premise. However, didn't Darren Star produced "Miss Match"? Maybe he'll remember CC and cast her as the female lead.

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #47
rolandro

Kitchen Confidential was one of the top books of 2002. or 2001. Part expose' part confessional bio, Bourdain is one of those things I dread - a more or less successful person, who is a fuckup (a self described addict who for a while had 'a tinsy heroin problem' )who is ALSO a real writer. He is also a self-described jerk and nasty person which can be off-putting.

But now that he's a 'writer-personality' his jerkness is mostly an act (reminding me of another wild-man, James Ellroy.)

The book was funny, touching and full of anecdotes. Might make a funny tv show.
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #48
KarKar

I liked "Kitchen Confidential" and LOVED "A Cook's Tour," both the book and FoodTv show.

Yeah Bourdain is a mixed bag. He's also put out a cookbook, writes mysteries and nonfiction (just put out a book on Typhoid Mary). There's a whiff of Gonzo to him and he goes into these Eric Bogosian-like soliloquies. His voice also sounds exactly like Bogosian's too.

I feel kind of uncomfortable with a barely reformed junkie doing hash in the desert and drinking like Andre the Giant but he is an interesting read.

I liked his backroom view of the kitchens and how the cooks are a ragged bunch of tattoo'd pirates who steal, shiv & run roughshod over each other. Since this is tv, I doubt it'll be that seedy or untelegenic.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #49
rolandro

I used to work in a kitchen, so I can tolerate the Nepoleon complex. It's the real writer part I can't stand about him. He can really write. That bastard. *Frustrated writer skulks back to doing search-replace for day job*

Hey, Karen!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #50
KarKar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandro
Hey, Karen!
Hey hon, how's the West Coast? Have you read any of his other books? I'm tempted by the new book but haven't touched his fiction.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #51
rolandro

Yes - I read the two novels he wrote (presumably while shooting himself up with H and working 14 hour days - I say again, that BASTARD!) "A Bone in the Throat" and "Gone Bamboo." They were both solid - though admittedly minor - crime thrillers. Both drew heavily from his time working for the Mob-backed restaurant. (Restaurants are perfect fronts for money laundering - I know, I worked in one of those too. There is a Jewish mafia, I'm here to tell ya!) I couldn't get through his 'round the world' companion to his Food Channel show - and I haven't yet read his new book or cookbook. If you like off-beat, NY based crime books (Kinky Friedman, or early Larry Beinhart) - you might give this a look.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #52
KarKar

It was total armchair traveling for me. I'd love to visit exotic places and explore the local culture/cuisine. Although admittedly, I'll pass on the still-beating cobra heart.

I might get the Typhoid Mary one, it's the morbidness in me that loves diseases.

Sounds like the tv show will have Kyle Chandler as Jack Bourdain. Geez, I know the guy has an ego but he could at least change the last name.

It's not a pilot but I wonder at CC & L&O:CI as Noth's partner. It wouldn't be as intensive as ATs, especially since they're only in half the episodes.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #53
Kit

UPN Orders Two Comedy Pilots

Quote:
"Friends in the AM" chronicles the brutally honest, fiercely loyal and incredibly complex on- and off-camera exploits of the three female hosts of a morning talk show. Cox and Arquette will executive produce with the pilot's writer, Alison Gibson.
What can be expected from this show? Friends in the AM, Enemies in the PM? Sounds interesting.

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson

Last edited by Kit; 02-14-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #54
jerry

I'd think Charisma would be an ideal fit to play a morning show host. Granted, UPN isn't really the best place to be, but that sounds like a workable idea for a show, and one that I could definitely see her being considered for.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #55
Kit

Good news for D.B Woodside! Hope UPN will pick it up.

Okay, a mini-rant here. What is it with guys like Shemar Moore and Jensen Ackles (SP?) getting all these roles? Shemar is absolutely gorgeous. He's okay in Y&R. However, I wasn't impressed with his acting in "Birds of Prey" (to be fair, it was an awful show). Jensen Ackles, on the other hand, I just don't get it at all. He's not even that good looking. He's pretty, but he cannot act. It isn't like he's a ratings magnet either. Afterall, He didn't really do anything for "Dark Angel", "Dawson's Creek" and "Smallville".

It is amazing how we've heard nothing about about AD all this time and yet Jensen managed to nab a role in Smallville and an upcoming WB pilot called Supernatural.

Last edited by Kit; 02-18-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #56
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit
Jensen Ackles, on the other hand, I just don't get it at all. He's not even that good looking. He's pretty, but he cannot act. It isn't like he's a ratings magnet either. Afterall, He didn't really do anything for "Dark Angel", "Dawson's Creek" and "Smallville".
I don't have a problem with Jensen Ackles. He's been put on crappy shows, even though I liked him on DA (I think he was the only good thing about S2). I think he can act, but I guess we'll see when he gets his own show instead of being added to struggling (no longer in their prime) shows like DC and SV.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #57
nickletv

This relates waaaaay back to 'The Fog' talks from months ago. Kryptonsite.com has posted that Tom Welling and LOST's Maggie Grace (aka Shannon) are the leads for 'The Fog'. I'm guessing she takes the role that CC would've been going out for ?
nickletv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #58
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickletv
This relates waaaaay back to 'The Fog' talks from months ago. Kryptonsite.com has posted that Tom Welling and LOST's Maggie Grace (aka Shannon) are the leads for 'The Fog'. I'm guessing she takes the role that CC would've been going out for ?
Or the role that Jessica Biel was mentioned for...?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #59
nickletv

Hmmmmm?

According to the Hollywood Reporter...

" "Fog" is set in a Northern California town where, about 100 years ago, a ship sank under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. The ghosts of the deceased mariners return from their watery graves to seek their revenge. Welling will play a local boat owner who never left the town, and Grace will portray a college girl who is back in her hometown for the summer. "

So it may be Biel's role she's taken. I must say I wouldn't mind seeing Welling and CC in a project together. They'd bring the pretty, LOL.
nickletv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #60
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickletv
According to the Hollywood Reporter...

" "Fog" is set in a Northern California town where, about 100 years ago, a ship sank under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. The ghosts of the deceased mariners return from their watery graves to seek their revenge. Welling will play a local boat owner who never left the town, and Grace will portray a college girl who is back in her hometown for the summer. "
Definitely the role Biel was being considered for (played by Jamie Lee Curtis in the original). CC has been mentioned for the Stevie Wayne role, a single mom and smalltown DJ who was originally played by Adrienne Barbeau. Still keeping my fingers crossed that she's cast; she'd be great in the part.