Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM   #16
Kit

That seems to be the trend right now. Most networks are all banking on dramas and only ordering one or two comedies. Lots of comedies that were thought to be shoo-ins (ie. Jessica Simpson's sitcom) are not being picked up. I guess they're waiting the next "Friends" instead of actively searching for it and fail. Times are changin' people.

I am very disappointed. I was hoping to see CC every week starting September...*sigh* Here's hope to bigger and better things.

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #17
brownsbros3

Before we jump the gun, let's wait until the network officially announces the schedule, which should be later today. Since the pilot was filmed just a couple of weeks ago, it is possible that they could be saving it for mid-season. All the other networks have been announcing that they are going to year-round programming instead of just the fall schedules in order to cut down on the re-runs.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #18
Bertha Blue

I'm am sorry to hear that. UPN obviously doesn't have a clue what makes a good show. Oh well, UPN's loss is somebody else's gain. Plus, the fact that she got offered the lead in a show is terrific by anybody's standards IJMHO.

Besides, it frees CC up to be Wonder Woman and get recurring roles in The West Wing, 24 and Alias and or that DB/CC comedy on ABC that I am dreaming about. What? A girl can dream can't she?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:42 AM   #19
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsbros3
Before we jump the gun, let's wait until the network officially announces the schedule, which should be later today.
That is official, according to this story.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #20
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Thanks ontheedge. Sigh. I'll keep my fingers crossed for midseason replacement for a while longer, but I'm disappointed.
and

Quote:
I wonder how cash poor UPN is at the moment - I suspect that if they could have afforded to at least try out a new show, they would have.
Disappointing but not really too surprising considering UPNs continuing financial woes. Not having Buffy helped the hole they REALLY dug themselves (Ah....Valentine, you dumb ass) but they're still a far cry from being secure again. And I don't envy them the state of the market that they're trying to recover in.

On the other hand, I've predicted at least twice over the years that the parent company would have pulled the plug on them...and have been wrong. So what the hell do I know?

Anyhoo, midseason replacement isn't out of the equation and even if it doesn't happen, she was able to get a little more publicity out of it. Is she a household name? No...but I think she's a bit further up the food chain in Hollywood which is a good thing.

Quote:
Off topic, I'm not sure why they've bothered renewing Enterprise, because it very much looks like they're hanging it out to dry. Not only is it buried on Friday night, but it has a repeat as a lead-in - not promising.
They are. Who would have ever thought when UPN came into being that the flagship of the network would end up there.

Oh...how the mighty has fallen.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #21
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
Oh...how the mighty has fallen.
Well, perhaps its debatable whether they've so much fallen as they have been dragged down. Who knows what their status would be like if they'd not forked over an insane amount of money for what turned out to be an opportunity to stand by helplessly while Joss' ego imploded, and had bought the rights to "The Dead Zone" instead, which was a small size cable hit that year.

From a strictly financial point of view, BTVS may yet go down as the show that killed a network. Which is amusing, given that Joss was also involved in "Titan A.E.", the movie that killed a studio.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #22
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Who knows what their status would be like if they'd not forked over an insane amount of money for what turned out to be an opportunity to stand by helplessly while Joss' ego imploded, and had bought the rights to "The Dead Zone" instead, which was a small size cable hit that year.
You mean UPN bought BtVS 6-7 when they could've had The Dead Zone? ...Wow. I did not know that. "This week on Monday Morning Quarterback," huh?

Quote:
From a strictly financial point of view, BTVS may yet go down as the show that killed a network. Which is amusing, given that Joss was also involved in "Titan A.E.", the movie that killed a studio.
Dibs on the first BWAH!.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #23
Shadow4Corangela
owner of a lonely heart

Is there any hope for CC's sitcom being picked up?
Shadow4Corangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:01 PM   #24
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
You mean UPN bought BtVS 6-7 when they could've had The Dead Zone? ...Wow. I did not know that. "This week on Monday Morning Quarterback," huh?
Yep. IIRC, UPN had in some way either optioned The Dead Zone as a pilot or had an opportunity to pick it up after the fact, but they had to pass because they couldn't afford it after they'd blown their wad on BTVS. It was then either snatched away by USA or TNT - I can't recall, since I don't get either of those channels in Canada. It seemed like a good call when BTVS Season 6 premiered to overnights in the 6's, but once the ratings started falling more than a few articles mentioned how much better off they would have been if they'd gone the other way around.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #25
ehab
Perpetually Confused

Well, I had to change my avie as Play Nice (Cats & Dogs or whatever) is gone.

I guess my old one works, moving along.

I wish c-c.com was up as I'd love to hear from Chrissy with some news, any news. I want my Charisma fix on tv, somewhere, someplace.
ehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #26
missdini

I'm really sorry to hear this!
missdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:35 PM   #27
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
Dibs on the first BWAH!.
*pout*

It just isn't the same if you can't do it first.

BWAH!

Oh what the hell...it's still fun for all!

But seriously. There were a lot of boneheaded decisions during those Dean Valentine years and very few successes (Thursday night wrestling)...but BTVS is definately the most visible of those failures. If only for that Valentine strutted around like a cock about how he "stole" BTVS out from under the nose of The WB and yet, look who's network ended up holding on by the very skin of it's teeth in the end and Dean without his job.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara

Last edited by Prima; 05-20-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #28
KeyserSoze
local god

With that performance on The Division I have no doubt CC will show up in at least a guest starring capacity on a major network show next year. Last year alone she headlined a tv movie, made several appearances on a Darren Star comedy vehicle, did great drama on The Division, did everything in You're Welcome, and headlined her own sitcom pilot. She was able to show all her different strengths as an actress and I'm sure many have taken notice of her this past year.

Can't wait to see what she does next season.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #29
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
With that performance on The Division I have no doubt CC will show up in at least a guest starring capacity on a major network show next year.
I'm sure you're right, and that rundown of her acting ventures since last June really shows the breadth and range of stuff she's done this year. There have to be some great new segments on her clips tape, especially from The Division. As much as I would've loved to see her this fall in her own sitcom, I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing her land something important on a major network.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #30
nodakskip

The thing I am thinking is that the Cats and Dogs pilot was last minute maybe they dont have a lot of ep ideas for later on yet. And I still hold out hope for another network or midseason.

But look at it this way. Casting people knew of Charisma as the chick from the vampire show. Now when someone wants a video tape of her doing comedy because they are thinking of casting her...they have the Cats and Dogs pilot tape.

But now we have a new mission. To get the pilot (if for sure its not airing) on the net.