Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 02-22-2004, 07:12 AM   #61
Platypus
The Pointy End

Yay! I get to do Rm w/a Vu. Love, love, love, love this episode. Not only is it one of my favorite Season 1 episodes, it's one of my favorite all-time episodes.

For the first time, we get a real look at some of Cordy's layers. From her guarded manner in not wanting to pick up the telephone ("just not up to leading the parade of pain"), to her distress and vulnerability when she's home in her apartment and her wistfulness when talking about her high school tropies with Doyle. Of course we get the first hint that Angel is about as astute as a turnip when it comes to reading her, believing that she's all right until she shows up in his hall, suitcase(s) in hand.

We also get some fabulous Cordy/Angel exchanges from the pen of the wonderful Jane Espenson:

Quote:
Cordy: “Angel, at some point in the recent history *you* got peanut butter on your bed, and it’s gross. I think you’re gonna have to change the sheets.”
Angel: “I don’t eat.’
Cordy: “Well then, I don’t even want to know how it got there.”
Doyle proves better at reading her, noting that (just like Angel), she insists on doing everything "the hard way". It's not easy for QueenC to ask for help. She doesn't even want to let Angel and Doyle know the apartment is haunted, believing she can wait out the scary.

Later, we see that she does harbour serious doubts and insecurities when she opens up to Angel, telling him that she needs the apartment so that she doesn't feel as though she's still being punished.

Quote:
Angel: “You know, this really is just a place to live.”
Cordy: “No, It’s more. It’s beautiful, - and if it goes away it’s like..”
Angel: “Like what?”
Cordy quietly: “Like I’m still getting punished.”
Angel: “Punished. (Cordy nods) For what?”
Cordy: “I don’t know. For what I was? For everything I said in High School just because I could get away with it? - And then it all ended, and I had to pay. - Oh, but this apartment – I could be me again. Punishment over – welcome back to your life! Like, like I couldn’t be that awful if I get to have a place like that? - It’s just like you!”
And finally, we get THE moment for me. SamIAm talked earlier about falling in love with Cordy in "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered". Cordy was my favorite character pretty much from the first episode on of BTVS, but she totally became my hero in this episode. When she stands up to Ghost!Mom!, finds her centre again and tells her that she's not some whining, snivelling cry-Buffy, I was practically cheering at my television set. In spite of all her layers, she was strong, and determined, and not about to be pushed around, and I loved her for it. I genuinely was enjoying the AtS spinoff, but it became must-see, phone-off-the-hook, can't-miss-a-single-ep television for me as of Rm w/a Vu, and stayed that way for almost three seasons.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #62
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ummm... Welcome to the Kate & Angel show.

Mr and Mrs Spock were pretty much mind-melding the whole show, so we didnt get to see a lot of Cordy, but we did see some good bits. Like when Cordy was complaining about Angel's lack of sensitivity, and then complaining because he had too much. And of course her whole riff on Angel being clueless and insensitive while Doyle's being strangled in the background, great! Oh and she comes in moaning about her job and why she ever chose to work for a Vam-triliquist, she'll never know. You gotta love her ability to change a word halfway through when she sees a civilian. In this case, Kate. Although... with hindsight this is a bit of foreshadowing for Smile Time. Angel, a ventriloquist, which is technically what DB was for some of that episode.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:52 AM   #63
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Big, big fan of "Rm w/a Vu" also. Like Strega once said, if I had to show one episode that encapsulated everything that Angel was all about (before it went so horribly off the path), it's "Rm w/a Vu." Although, after the rip-off of "Ghost" that was "You're Welcome," the Patrick Swayze reference kinda blows.

So on to Bachelor Party. First, let me just say no one, not even Alison Janney, wears an evening gown like Charisma Carpenter wears an evening gown. We'll never know if that was Angel checking out Cordy or Boreanaz checking out Carpenter, but there were definite roaming eyes there. Welcome to the club, bucko.

This episode also showed that Cordy realizes she's grown beyond 'it's all about the money'. She wants her guy to be more than rich, quite a step up from "Reptile Boy." And wants her guy to be not married. Cordy's not the cheating kind.

Again, not a fan of the Cordy/Doyle romance that would have come had R/L events not conspired against it, but Doyle was cool in the coming to Cordy's rescue bit. Also cool, Cordy, as is the norm, expresses some appreciation for the effort. Not many people acknowledge that aspect of Cordelia, but for a very long time, she was the only person who'd ever thanked her Buffy and company for helping her.

So, I guess "I Will Offer Up Cheap Sentimentality and Unwarranted Angst Just For Sweeps" is up to you, bert. Or else we could skip it completely.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #64
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

I'll do it. And i'll even give the name this time. (By the way - my last one was Sense & Sensitivity)

I Will Remember You

OR BETTER KNOWN AS

We'd Rather Forget

I AM going to completely ignore a certain coupling and just concentrate on Cordy. Her highlights of this episode include (1) Describing Buffy as 'a little Bulgarian in that outfit' (2) running into the office and picking up some dust, shouting "She killed him! Oops! My bad, it’s just dust I forgot to sweep under the rug." (3) Noticing Angel entered through the front foor from the streets and jumping to the conclusion that he's got an umbrella. Not very bright but had me laughing so much. Also, makes you wonder why you dont see Spike or Angel walking along with an umbrella instead of running under a smoking blanket (4) looking at a dead plant "This plant was thriving just this morning, now look at it. I’m telling you, where she leads, dark forces follow." Like the plant that wilted when Buffy arrived, so did the show ever so briefly.

The only other thing i liked about this episode was the Oracles. They were... interesting...

Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 PM   #65
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I guess I'll take "Hero".

So what did we learn about Cordy in this ep? We got to see that despite her outward protests, she could have had a thing for Doyle but more importantly he was her friend and she did care.

In the opening we get to see Cordy's take on Angel who he is (the Dark Avenger) and what he's about. It's kind of humorous but it also pretty darn accurate.

Later we see that despite Cordy's general issues with Demons she's more pissed at Doyle for not telling her and trusting her (as a friend) then she is for him being what he is. I think the idea that he thought she would be dismissive of him goes back to her issues with redemption (being better then she was in HS) from Room w/a View.

While the last scene of Doyle doing the commercial was touching and sad (to the point of melodrama) it was the quiet looks on DB and CC’s faces that had me near tears. I wasn't a Doyle fan and not really upset over his death but it was Cordy's pain (which CC very wonderfully and quietly portrayed) that got to me.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:45 AM   #66
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Parting Gifts is Angel's answer to "Inca Mummy Girl"; lots of people absolutely loathe it, but all I see is an interesting story that provided closure for Doyle, introduced Wesley as the replacement character, and transitioned Cordy from Girl Friday to full-fledged member of the PTB's team. Really, what people hate about it eludes me.

Anyway, some classic Cordy moments here as well. The audition scene turned Cordy's sorrow at Doyle's loss into one of the funniest moments from the outsider's POV. Getting that double whammy of sorrow and laughter in one fell swoop shows just what the writing of old was capable of, and CC's performance underlines that.

It also shows just how much courage Cordy has. She goes from wanting to get rid of the visions to accepting them as the gift they were (before that got ruined too) in the space of one episode. Tell me again "they" didn't screw up when "they" didn't pick Cordy to be the Slayer.

And of course, a great moment: "After an all-nighter of fighting the lurking evil, we get eggs."

All in all, a satisfying episode that started Cordy on the road to one of the better character arcs.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #67
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Somnambulist sees the beginning of the newest chapter in Cordy's life. The last episode was more of a transition between old and new. Now we are firmly in the new. Cordy is Angel's closest friend, she's also probably Wesley's as well and she's handling the visions. Anyway, this is the episode that sees her giving the hard sell to a chair and a chance for her to demonstrate her loyalty to Angel.

CORDELIA: No! I don’t care how many files you have on all the horrible things he did back in the powdered wig days. He is good now and he is my friend and nothing you or anyone else can say will make me turn on a friend.

ANGEL: Cordelia. He’s right.

CORDELIA: You stake him and I’ll cut his head off.

We get her grumbling about her job, but not the vision part... it's just the chains and coffee she objects to.

CORDELIA: I get to make the coffee and chain the boss to the bed. Got to join a union.

ANGEL: Cordelia, I think that’s tight enough.

CORDELIA: And if turns out we’re back on the liquid lunch? Better safe than cocktails.

Then of course she's giving the hard sell to Penn, little realising that he's the bad guy. At least not straight away. Anyway, while he taunts her about not reaching the exit she does a smart move and pulls open the blinds letting sunlight fill the room. Unfortunately, she completely negates this moment of smartness with a moment of idiotness when Angel asks her for a stake she replies "It’s like eight in the morning." Not her best moment, and this was not a Cordelia line. Doyle could have gotten away with it, but not Cordy.

Best moment of the episode? Cordy and Angel bonding on the roof.

From Cordy entering and announcing the vein on her head is doing the cha-cha to puzzling over the grammatical difficulties of the Powers That Be. From Angel looking at her and agreeing that people do change to Cordelia promising to kill him dead. This whole scene was a classic. So, was the episode, it set the tone for the rest of the season and it showed Angel realising for the first time that Cordelia is his friend.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #68
Platypus
The Pointy End

Good to see you back in the mix Morrigan! At this point, I had pretty much concluded that there was no point to this thread other than Terry, Bert and I amusing ourselves. Not that that would be a bad thing, but still... new blood!

And so we move on to Expecting, the first in an (unfortunate) series of demonic pregnancies/metaphoric assaults on Cordy. This was, FWIW, the best of the lot. We see at the beginning of the episode that Cordy is still struggling to maintain some balance in her life, and this is really our first hint at the loneliness she would express a couple of seasons later. A great C/A subtext scene in the teaser, with Angel getting all protective about Cordy's date. And the first reference to Cordy's "filing system".

Cordy on her date isn't the confident QueenC of Sunnydale. She admits her dating skills are rusty, and she's unsure and a little nervous. I thought Charisma did a wonderful job with this, balancing the innate attitude with the inner insecurity.

Hate Wilson Christopher. He made Cordy cry. That is all.

I also thought Charisma really portrayed Cordy's fears and vulnerabilities when Angel and Wes come looking for her. Of course, much of the rest of the episode featured a fetus-possessed Cordy (hello, Season 4!), but the ending ranks as one of my favorite Cordy moments. As soon as the possession loses its hold, Cordy comes out swinging. Literally.

And I love the final scene, with both Wes and Angel stumbling around, trying so hard to make sure Cordy was alright, with the magazines and all. (Sigh. Those were the days.) And the classic pronouncement that she's stronger than people realize.

Good ep.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #69
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

She ...it.

Okay, so Cordy... was in it. I think.

Hey, did you know the guy who played the spa manager also played the Brachen demon who visited Doyle in "Hero"?

Okay, Cordy. In "She."

Seriously, he's an actor named Sean Gunn. See? 'Gunn,' like the character who appears later on in the season.

Okay, okay. Well, Cordy did wail on the other dimension guy, and stopped Wesley from lusting himself into flames. That's all I remember though. There was a thing in a flower warehouse, I think.

But you can see Sean Gunn semi-regularly playing Kirk on Gilmore Girls.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #70
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
At this point, I had pretty much concluded that there was no point to this thread other than Terry, Bert and I amusing ourselves.
You're amusing me and I bet I'm not the only one. I should have said something sooner, like thanks, but I didn't want to interrupt the flow. This should be a sticky once you're done. I would join in, but I stink at analyzing eps. So, please continue. I think we all need this.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #71
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

I've been enjoying all the analysis, too. I just couldn't contribute about any of the Buffy episodes.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:32 PM   #72
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
She ...it.
Dude - you should have jumped in and grabbed "Expecting", and left Jheira to someone else.

Moving right along to I've Got You Under My Skin. Creepiest kid, ever. Well, creepiest kid in Season 1, in any event.

Cordy bakes brownies! In more interesting news, she displays (not for the first time) the keen insight into Angel's character that no one else has ever shown. She presses him on the Doyle issue, because she knows he's not over it. And, not for the last time, Angel opens up to her in a way that he never has before. He's never been this comfortable with anyone, and it shows.

Great comedy scene with Cordy at the magic shop buying the Ethros box. It was all about timing and delivery:

Quote:
Cut to Rick’s Majick ‘n’ Stuff. Cordy is looking over some wooden boxes sitting on shelves around the store.
Rick crosses his hands and bows: “Blessed be.”
Cordy: “Uh-huh. I need an Ethros box.”
Rick: “A lady who knows what she wants. Commendable.”
Cordy: “Yes, I’m great. Just pop it in a bag and I’m out of here.”
Rick: “I don’t have one.”
Cordy: “You don’t have one. (Rick shakes his head) Well, (Cordy looks around then points at a box on a shelf behind Rick) what’s that?”
Rick: “Good eye. That’s a Shorshack box.”
Cordy: “What’s the diff?”
Rick takes the box down: “About 20 Dollars, and it’s not available in a mahogany finish.”
Cordy: “Looks the same. Handcrafted by blind Tibetan monks?”
Rick opens the box: “Pieced together by mute Chinese nuns. Now that’s craftsmanship.”
Cordy: “Look, I have an Ethros demon and I need a place to put it. Will this work?”
Ultimately, this ep was more about Wesley than Cordy, but it still featured some great classic Cordy scenes.

And I'm glad you guys are enjoying the analysis. Special thanks should go out to SamIAm and Bert for wading through some particularly eye-roll-worthy B/A episodes.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #73
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Platy - Sorry I had to bow out of some of the BTVS eps b/c I just didn't remember that much about them.

ETA: Damn Platy stole IGYUMS. Was Cordy even in "The Prodigal"?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #74
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrigan
Damn Platy stole IGYUMS. Was Cordy even in "The Prodigal"?
I'm stealthy that way. I'm already getting ready to pounce on certain Season 3 eps before anyone else can do them.

But if you have other thoughts, please share. The Prodigal was a Minear episode, and therefore pretty light on the Cordy goodness. Her only role in the ep was to install, comment on, and ultimately screw up the operation of A.I.'s new security system. Thanks Timmah! Neeexxxxxttttt...

Old 02-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #75
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Dude - you should have jumped in and grabbed "Expecting", and left Jheira to someone else.
I took one for the team. I mean, does anyone like "She?"

Quote:
But if you have other thoughts, please share. The Prodigal was a Minear episode, and therefore pretty light on the Cordy goodness.
"The Prodigal" had that great moment when Angel is on the phone with Wes and Wes is telling him how some people, women especially, aren't up to dealing with the supernatural just as Cordy happily starts hacksawing the demon Angel killed in the subway.

But this was the first of many Minear episodes where Cordy was only competent off-screen. I know it's like kicking a sacred cow, but why people fall all over Minear when the only characters he ever wrote very well were Angel, Kate, and Darla is something I don't get.

Okay, enough with the bitter; on to The Ring. Oh, crap. I hate this one almost as much as "She." ::sigh::

Well, Cordy demonstrated for the first time that she is a great actress when she needed to be. And we find out Cordy had a horse named Keanu. Otherwise, and I know I'm in the minority here, the Cordy and Wes fights were already getting on my last nerve. It came out of nowhere, was never in fun, and it was never fun to watch, so a whole episode dedicated to it? No, thank you, especially since it didn't end the fighting.

I'll leave everything else about "Eternity" for someone else to do, but having taken three for the team now, I insist on taking this:

Red. Leather. Pants.