Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 02-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #46
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
Thanks for taking one for the team SamIAm!!!
No problem. If "Amends" shows us anything about B/A, it's just how one-sided it was, and not on the Angel side. For that, I'm grateful. So many people just don't get it, but those people probably never will, so you know...

Plus, it's like the first time in the series Angel tries to do something without clearing it through Buffy first, so there's that.

Quote:
We get some nice Cordy/Giles scenes in Giles' car, not to mention her waking him up after he was knocked unconscious for the umpteenth time in the show's history.
Yeah, but, "One of these days, you're going to wake up in a coma" is a particularly sucky bit of foreshadowing.

So on to Helpless, one of my all-time favorites. Not a lot of Cordy, which was becoming typical for the era, but what Cordy there was rocked. First she makes it clear to No-Neck that there are limits to her patience. Obviously the guy was a transfer student if he didn't already know that. Then she wails on him, as only Cordy can do, when he gets physical with Buffy. (Okay, a transfer student and a moron.) But my favorite scene, and the one I refer people to when they start all that crap about St. Cordy, is in the library after Giles tells Buffy what he did. Cordy walks in not knowing anything about what's going on and no one explains the situation to her, yet when Buffy asks for a ride home, the response is "Sure." She knows this is not the time for snide.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:52 PM   #47
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Was The Zeppo that bad?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #48
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Was The Zeppo that bad?
I :heart: The Zeppo. It was all kinds of wonderful for Xander - a real turning point for his character, in the same way that TSILA was a turning point for Cordy. It even had a scene that was not-so-subtly mocking the whole angstorama nature that B/A had become - too bad that in later years Joss forgot that B/A was never supposed to be transcendent. It was supposed to be viewed the way Xander viewed it in this episode. And too bad that the promise of development for Xander was never realized, in spite of yearly proclamations by the Enemies that "this year" there would be a Xander arc.

Unfortunately, it's not that great a Cordy episode. But I cut Cordy a whole lot of slack here. She was still terribly hurt by Xander's betrayal. She was still getting precious little respect from Buffy and Willow, notwithstanding the fact that she was still helping them (in "Gingerbread" and "Helpless"). She felt humiliated in front of her own former friends. Her defence mechanism was to revert back to Season 1 form, because she needed to make herself feel better, and, really, Xander seemed to get over the whole thing pretty quickly. (Yet another reason I don't think he ever respected her or her feelings - he sure was sorry he got caught, but I never got the impression that he was sorry that he hurt her. That was something I didn't see out of him until after he left Anya at the altar).

So, all in all, I granted Cordy her right to act like a bitca more than willingly.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #49
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
So, all in all, I granted Cordy her right to act like a bitca more than willingly.
Well, let's not overlook the fact that the episode was presented as being sympathetic to Xander. If a more neutral narrator had told the story, Cordelia may not have come off quite so bad.

But you have to love, "There was no part of that that wasn't fun."

So, I'll do Bad Girls.

Hi.

'Bye.

No, really. Why Whedon made CC come to work that week is a mystery.

Now onto Consequences.

Hi.

'Bye.

Okay, there was the scene in the library where Cordelia turned Wesley into a drooling lap dog, where he'd remain until the end of the season in one of the more pointless arcs Cordy had on Buffy. Which is saying something.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:27 PM   #50
DeeDee
Foxy Lady

Actually Platypus

Quote:
(Yet another reason I don't think he ever respected her or her feelings - he sure was sorry he got caught, but I never got the impression that he was sorry that he hurt her.
I actually think he *was* sorry. But I think they *both* reverted back into form in the aftermath. And I think he himself was tripping all over himself to apologize once again (but the writers went out if their way to attempt to show that Xander "didn't measure up" or whatever. Ugh. Not that I blame Cordy for being upset though). And he actually tried hard to make up for things & make things right with Cordy but she didn't want to hear it (not saying I blame her, but I do think he did respect her feelings (hence all the apologizing and keeping her secret) and was sorry about hurting her (buying her the Prom Dress, and helping her save face & her pride).

I just wanted to drop my 2 cents in but continue on with all the ep. rundowns.

The Cute One
DeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #51
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

And on to B]Doppelgangland[/b] Not Cordy's finest moment, definitely. This is the continuation of Cordelia's arc with Wesley and she comes off shallow especially with the whole Willow thing (Willow. They got Willow. So, are you doing anything tonight? - BAD JOSS!) But she did earlier show that she's still hurt by the Willow/Xander thing and she still wants to be friends with Willow. She'll never come out and say that, but she does say that Willow will have to pay her back for letting her out of the cage. Would she say that if she didnt want to spend more time with her?

Anyway, best line of the ep;

CORDELIA: And, ok, it isn’t even like I was attracted to Xander, it was more just that we kept being put in these life and death situations and that’s always all sexy and stuff. I mean, I more or less knew he was a loser, but that doesn’t make it ok for you to come around and – What? Do I have something on my neck?

VAMPWILLOW: Not yet.

The only thing i can come up with in defence of Cordy's sucky line about them getting Willow and then asking Wesley out for dinner, was that Cordy isnt stupid, she knows when she can do something about something and there wasnt anything she could do. But, still, i'm not too sure about this line...

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:41 PM   #52
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Blech. Enemies. About the only good Cordy thing in it was she had given up on Xander. The downside, she turns her attention to Wesley. But at least, after some initial boredom, she got back into the swing of things and joined in on the Buffy sort-of-rescue.

But the 'blech' is this episode marked the first time in BtVS history the audience was blatantly lied to in order to preserve the SURPRISE! ending. You know what that lead to.

In-joke of the episode: Cordy tells Wesley his voice is so good, he should read for books on tape. It was about this time Charisma was using the considerable free time she had available to read a Buffy novel for books on tape.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:21 AM   #53
Platypus
The Pointy End

Earshot

A pretty good episode, although it follows the trend of late Season 3 episodes in being fairly Cordy-lite. It does, however, feature a priceless comedy scene in the library that has Buffy reading the minds of the Scoobs one by one, followed immediately by dialogue that contrasts or attempts to cover up what Buffy was reading.

Except, of course, in the case of Cordy:

Quote:
CORDELIA (V.O.) I don't see what this has to do with me.
CORDELIA I don't see what this has to do with me.

CORDELIA (V.O.) Whatever. I wonder when I can go.
CORDELIA Whatever. Can I go?
That's our Cordy. She thinks it, she says it. Always one of her most endearing (to me) features.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #54
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
That's our Cordy. She thinks it, she says it.
After TVT, I had to wonder if that was what was really going on. If Cordy could toss Lorne aside when he tried to read her mind, would Buffy, an amateur at the time, have been able to? Did Cordy have some innate ability to block such activity? 'Course, we never got any follow-up, but I can wonder.

So on to Choices, where we find out that Cordy is a working gal, immediately after finding out she'd been accepted to some fairly prestigious schools: Duke, Columbia, U of Colorado, and USC among them. Not a bad list.

One other interesting thing about this episode is, for some reason, Buffy still cares what Cordelia thinks about her, and it's that concern that spurs the 'proactive with pep' plan. Another reason it's interesting is it does show that Cordelia had far more to do with the overall plot than you'd think judging by screen-time. Consider:

-- The Wishverse brings Anya, the only living witness to a previous Ascension
-- The Zeppo sends Xander on his quest for cool, and leaves Xander in possession of a bomb to be copied over and over
-- "Choices" get's Buffy's motor running, and they end up with pages from the book Buffy tried to buy off the demon in "Enemies."

So yeah, unwitting and round-about, but they couldn't have done it without Cordelia.

Last edited by SamIAm; 02-21-2004 at 08:17 AM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:47 AM   #55
Platypus
The Pointy End

Sigh. That means I get The Prom. After this one, I'm also bowing out of doing IWRY.

I will say this - when faced with emotionally stressful circumstances that turned her life upside-down, Cordy didn't whine about it. She didn't cry. She didn't go on and on about how unfair her life is, or how it was so hard to be her, or look for sympathy. She didn't make it anybody's business. She just found a solution, rolled up her sleeves and got a job. No pity party for QueenC. She suffers in silence, and gets on with it.

She also once again used her keen fashion sense to save the day, pointing out that the victim attacked in the store was wearing formal clothes, and it was that which distinguished him from everything else. Without Cordy, they might all still be watching the videotape trying to figure things out.

And she did have the good grace to thank Xander afterwards. Actually, now that I've written this out, this was a pretty positive episode for Cordy.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:34 PM   #56
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Sigh. That means I get The Prom. After this one, I'm also bowing out of doing IWRY.
Sorry 'bout that.

Quote:
And she did have the good grace to thank Xander afterwards.
Well I like to think of it as Xander finally had the good grace to apologize, but there's an argument either way, I suppose.

Quote:
Actually, now that I've written this out, this was a pretty positive episode for Cordy.
Cordy kicked ass in "The Prom." Except for the part where she hung around with Wes.

Well, I'll do both parts of Graduation Day, since all Cordy had in part one were a couple of 'blink and miss'em' scenes. The first of them did explain a lot about Cordy:

Xander: I'm telling you. I woke up the other day with this feeling in my gut. I just know there's no way I'm getting out of this school alive.

Cordelia: Wow, you've really mastered the power of positive giving-up.

None of that defeatist nonsense for Cordelia.

Part two had a bit more of her in it, including the abrupt end to the most pointless arc of the season, but her best scene was during the fight at the school. Great form and follow through for her first vamp staking.

Shortly after, Cordy leaves what's left of the school grounds, by all appearances once again one of the gang, only to show up in L.A. for whoever picks up Cordelia: The L.A. Years.

(You C/X'ers and C/(blech)W'ers are on your own; I don't believe there was anything in them skipping fifth period together, and I don't even want to think about Cordy and (blech) Wes. Ever.)

Last edited by SamIAm; 02-21-2004 at 03:38 PM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:03 PM   #57
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
only to show up in L.A. for whoever picks up Cordelia: The L.A. Years.
Me! Me!

Starting with: City of...

Angel speaks for almost all of us when he spots Cordy at a party, flashes one of those rare grins and says "Nice to see a familiar face." We finally find out what Cordy's been up to since leaving Sunny D. Of course, although she puts a brave face on it, life's not been treating her too well. She's a bit lost, and vulnerable. But notice that she stands her ground and starts using her wits when she smartly clues into the fact that Russell is a vampire.

And Doyle sets the stage for what Cordy will eventually become to Angel - the first really humanizing influence he's ever had.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:44 PM   #58
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Ah, Lonely Heart. (No, really. I have the shooting script; there's no 's'.)

This one is mostly famous for introducing Kate, but Cordelia, as would become more the norm, stole the show, either with her withering insights into the patrons of the bar, her uniquely Cordy way of drumming up business, or when she crammed this particular complex thought into a nutshell:

"Well, a couple of hundred years ago all you had to worry about was a hang over. Today, because of your curse thingy, you can't sleep with anyone or else you might feel a moment of true happiness, lose your soul, become evil again, and kill everyone."

Or this, just before inviting Angel into her apartment, and I use the term 'apartment' loosely:

"Oh, right, right. You promise you'll stay good?"

And while I'd never have bought Cordy/Doyle as anything more than a rehash of C/X, it was kind of him to jump in and defend Cordelia's honor.

For the record, the instant I saw the business card, I knew it was an angel. The people in props screwed up if they were supposed to come up with something that looked more like a lobster than an angel.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:58 AM   #59
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

In The Dark. Wow. This was a good episode for Cordy from catching up with Oz:

CORDELIA: Ok, we have serious catching up to do. How’s everything? How’s the Bronze?

OZ: The same.

CORDELIA: And the gang?

OZ: They’re good.

CORDELIA: Good? Good! Good.

OZ: Are we done?

CORDELIA: Completely.

She was so happy to see something from her old life that she forgets she doesnt even know him THAT well.

Then of course she catches up with Spike:

SPIKE: Cordelia! You looks smashing, did you lose weight?

CORDELIA: Yeah, you know, there’s this great gym on – hey!

Bless her. Also while it may not have made the actual episode the director of this one was responsible for the fabulous credits shot we got of Cordy for a year or two. Where she turns around, her hair flapping in the wind. One last thing, how could she afford to join a gym?

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:47 AM   #60
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Okay, I Fall to Pieces was... an episode. There were a few classic moments:

Angel: "I'm not comfortable asking people for money."
Cordelia: "Then get over it! I mean that in a sensitive way."

It's a business, Angel. Look it up.

When Angel wonders why his meeting with Melissa scared her, he gets this advice:

"Well, as vampires go, you're pretty cuddly. Maybe you might want to think about mixing up the black on black look."

And a candidate for funniest exchange of the series:

Cordelia: "We need more of these now. Have a vision."
Doyle: "I can't just perform on demand."
Cordelia: "We need the clients. Have a vision."
Doyle: "That money has corrupted you."
Cordelia: "If I hit you on the head, will you have a vision?"
Doyle: "Get away from me. You're insane."
Cordelia: "Am not. Now will you have a vision?"