Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 02-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #31
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
Killed by Death

This is one of my favorite Season 2 episodes.
I generally watch it by fast-forwarding through any scene that doesn't have Cordelia in it. And I still want to know what Cordy saw on Buffy's nose that no one else could see.

Okay, if I do "I Only Have Eyes For You,", aka "Murder/Suicide Is A Sign Of True Everlasting Love" or "Statutory Rape Is Okay If It's For Twu Wuv!," (Are you sensing that I don't like this episode? 'Cause I don't. Not at all.) I don't have to do "I Will Remember You." Deal?

Once again, in this overly melodramatic BuffyNAngle4EVAH!!!! piece of crap, Cordelia's main role is to point out what Buffy's issues are:

Buffy: No. James destroyed the one person he loved the most in a moment of blind passion. And that's not something you forgive. No matter why he did what he did. And no matter if he knows now that it was wrong and selfish and stupid, it is just something he's gonna have to live with.

Xander: He can't live with it, Buff. He's dead.

Cordelia: Okay. Overidentify much?

I often thought Cordelia should have been Buffy's personal therapist, so keen was Cordy's insight into what made Buffy tick. Then again, Cordy was able to do that to Angel as well, and I guess he needed it more.

And of course later on, Cordy joins in the ill-advised spell to cast out the ghost, giving us this memorable line:

Cordelia: I shall *totally* confront and expel all evil.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #32
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Okay, if I do "I Only Have Eyes For You,", aka "Murder/Suicide Is A Sign Of True Everlasting Love" or "Statutory Rape Is Okay If It's For Twu Wuv!," (Are you sensing that I don't like this episode? 'Cause I don't. Not at all.) I don't have to do "I Will Remember You." Deal?
Ummm... deal? Ok. Doesn't mean I necessarily will jump into the fray and take on "I Will Remember This Spectacularly Manipulative, Melodramatic and Badly Written Piece of Dreck", but I guess we'll burn that bridge when it's time.

Go Fish

Again, I enjoyed this Season 2 episode far more than the ones that were overdosing on the Angelus angst, which became very boring and very tired to me very quickly.

Let's face it - Cordy at the side of the swimming pool, refusing to abandon Xander entirely even though she thought he was a fishy monster? Pretty damn cool of her.

Quote:
Cordelia: And we can still date. Or not... I mean, I understand if you want to see other fish. I'll do everything I can to make your quality of life better, whether that means little bath toys or whatever.
From here on out, although Cordy still had her snarky moments, anyone who thought she was just a mean bitch was, to quote the great QueenC herself, simply engaging in "Propaganda spouted out by the ugly and less deserving."

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #33
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Ummm... deal? Ok.
Sorry. As much as I love "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," I hate IOHEFY. It makes my skin crawl, and not in a good way.

So, onward.

Part one of "Becoming" does have one of the few scenes that include Cordelia with the gang when they aren't researching the big evil or out getting rid of the big evil. There were more of those scenes in season three, but it really is weird how few times that was true in season two. Anyway, in addition to showing C/X a bit less adversial than was the norm, Cordy sums up beautifully yet another character, Principal Snyder, in defense of Buffy and Willow:

Cordelia: How about because you're a tiny, impotent Nazi with a bug up his butt the size of an emu?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:14 AM   #34
Roadrunner1896
Looney Tune

Isn't "I Will Remember You" the episode where Cordy told Doyle and me and hopefully a lot of other former B/As how malfunctioning that relationship really was and made us lose the 4eva!!!!231111!!! part, which opened or eyes and the door for the C/A possibilities? Or was that just me?

If no one else wants to touch that ep, I will. I mean, you don't have to rewatch it, to pick your favorite moment, right?

Becoming II

Quote:
Willow: I'm okay.

Xander: You don't look okay. Does she?

Cordelia: You should listen to him. The hair, it's so flat, and the lips...

Xander: Could we stay on topic here, honey?

Cordelia: What?
This is my favorite scene from this episode. She is just telling the truth and she was asked her opinion. And in combination with the later scene where she asks Willow whether she's okay or not after/during the spell, it shows, that she does care about her but that Willow really looks bad and might not be strong enough for the spell.
Roadrunner1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #35
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

And along comes season 3 and the premiere episode Anne. While Buffy and the rest of the B/A ers are in LA on the hard streets mourning Angel's passing into the big swirly void of 'onc scene per episode' everyone else was getting on with their lives. Cordy and Xander carried the Sunnydale part of the story with nervousness about seeing each other. Both going to Willow, both asking about thier hair and then walking awkwardly away from each other, all in the same scene. And then her final scene, we witness the 'Chase Manoeuvre' (kinda like the Picard Manoeuvre, just... not.) where she stakes the Vampire by forming one half of a Cordy/Xander sandwich. Then they kiss, complete with thier trademark cheezy music. Best line of this episode is when cordy jumps straight on the continuity bandwagon by directly referencing an episode by name:

Oh yeah, Mr Faithful, probably met up with some hot little Inca Mummy Girl. Yeah, I heard about her.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #36
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

And thus on to Dead Man's Party, one good half-hour followed by one not-so-good half-hour. Cordy is now part of the Slayer-less Slayerettes, upping the kill ratio from 4 in ten to 5 in ten. She's got them in the 90's, using radios to keep in touch, and not letting a little thing like a vampire on the loose stopping her from greeting Buffy's return.

And while her methods needed work, she did come to Buffy's defense when everyone else was on the attack.

Also amusing, Cordy and Oz hiding in the closet.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #37
Platypus
The Pointy End

Season 3 was ultimately my favorite of all the BTVS seasons, and so I'm surprised that I couldn't even recall if Cordy had been in Faith, Hope and Trick and had to go check buffyguide.com for the Cordy details.

That said (and thanks to buffyguide.com), my memory has been jogged. For all that the Kristy Swanson version of Buffy was supposed to use keen fashion sense as one of her weapons, it was Cordy who noticed that the vampire dancing with Faith at the Bronze was wearing very out-of-date clothes. Score one for the fashionista!

The only other thing of note was this delicious piece of dialogue between Xander and Cordelia. Because, once again, no-tact girl is right on the money in her analysis:

Cordelia: Oh, you mean 'cause of how the only guy that ever liked her turned into a vicious killer and had to be put down like a dog?

Xander: Can she cram complex issues into a nutshell, or what?

Old 02-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #38
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Beauty and the Beasts.

Umm... i'm gonna do a quote from Cordy & Xander. We need say no more.

CORDELIA: Pete was a monster? Where have I been?

XANDER: In your special place, Cor, which is why I adore you.

Which is why WE adore you. Ok, so i did need say more.

Old 02-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #39
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

I'll take Homecoming, chore though it is.

This episode is the one that convinced me whoever decides who's going to be a Slayer really screwed up when they picked Buffy over Cordelia. Yeah, I know the common belief is Cordy was jealous of Buffy, but duh, Buffy is jealous of Cordy, so what else is new?

Cordy's finest moment comes in the library. Let's let Greenwalt's script tell the tale:

CORDELIA -- Looks from unconscious Buffy to unconscious Giles. Not a good sitch. Gorch heads for Buffy.

GORCH
I'll kill ya' fer this, Slayer…

GILES' EYES flutter open. Woozy, he witnesses CORDELIA as she steps in front of Gorch.

GORCH
...you too, you're dead meat, ya' hear?!

CORDELIA
(incredibly cool)
I hear you, you red-neck moron. You
got a little dress goes with that hat?

PUSH IN ON GORCH - turning red with fury.

GORCH
I'm gonna --

CORDELIA
I know, rip out my innards, play with
my eyeballs, boil my brain and eat it
for brunch -- now listen up, needle-
brain, Buffy and I have taken out
four of your cronies, including your
girlfriend --

GORCH
WIFE!

CORDELIA
-- whatever, point is, I haven't even
worked up a sweat. See in the end
Buffy's good, but she's just the
runner-up. I'm the Queen. If I get
mad, what do you think I'm gonna do to you?

Gorch looks from Cordy to Buffy and the dust pile on the floor. Cordy has psyched him out.

::sigh:: I miss Greenwalt.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #40
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Band Candy. YAY! Cordy has layers!

CORDELIA: Actually, I’m looking forward to it, I do well on standardised tests. (They all look at her) What? I can’t have layers?

She even gets cute talking to Buffy about college boys, but of course, that was BX. BX i hear you and Buffy say? Before Xander. Cute. *one point i just noticed, the last time we saw Cordy trying to get college boys was in Reptile Boy in which Xander is obbsessed with saving buffy (B/X) I may just be over analysing, but it's a nice point*

Mom started borrowing my clothes. There should be an age limit on lycra pants. Dad, He just locked himself in the bathroom with old copies of Esquire.

You have to feel for her, you really do. But, then she invited Willow to do a bit of wife-swapping(boyfriend swapping) Willow watches Xander and Oz, lovingly, distracted by Cordy who says "Want to swap" Nice to be liberal, eh, Cordy?

Just so you know, everyone eats candy with all the adults turning into adolescents. This doesnt really affect Cordy apart from the added research and the line about her parents.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #41
Platypus
The Pointy End

No fair - I wanted to do Band Candy!!! It was a pretty Cordy-lite episode, but yet another of my season 3 faves.

And one more thing that I loved about Homecoming was the way that Cordy admitted to having genuine feelings about Xander, without it devolving into the mush of the Buffy/Angel "romance".

So, ok, on to Revelations. (And by the way, once we're done with the list, I think Bert, SamIAm and I so deserve to go out for some celebratory beers!)

First, I'll admit a bias. I was totally on the side of the Scoobs in this episode. After everything that happened with Angelus, Buffy was acting like a complete spoiled and selfish moron by not telling them that Angel was back. She was wrong, wrong, wrong, and I hated the fact that the writers let her off the hook so easily after this episode.

That being said, Cordy was totally right in siding with Xander in the library, and she wasn't acting out of jealousy. Once again, she's the tactless voice of the cold, hard truth, the one thing that Buffy can't handle. Buffy had no business keeping the truth about Angel from the rest of them, and particulary not when she had left them all to fend for themselves during the summer while she went and had herself a pity party. (Does the fact that I started to seriously dislike Buffy during this season show?)

In any event, another Cordy-lite episode, but the next one's a doozy. Who's up for it?

Old 02-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #42
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
(And by the way, once we're done with the list, I think Bert, SamIAm and I so deserve to go out for some celebratory beers!)
Good by me.
Quote:
In any event, another Cordy-lite episode, but the next one's a doozy. Who's up for it?
I'll not do it justice, but it looks like it's up to me anyway.

Lovers Walk. In addition to elevating Xander to locker status, Cordy also shows she gets it's not always all about her when she agress to a double date to go bowling. Personally, I'd have paid money to see Cordy bowling, but never mind. Once convinced that Xander is in trouble, she readily, eagerly even, joins in on the rescue, braving the unknown dangers of the burned-out factory in an effort to mount a rescue, only to find that there's no danger there; someone's in fun.

The hospital scene is Charisma at her best. Pain? Oh, yeah, we got pain. And the walls? You can see Cordelia rebuilding the walls, and all Charisma Carpenter is doing is laying there in the first of many hospital beds she'll be seen in. A great effort there.

Cordy gets a lot of grief for not wanting to listen to Xander, yet a week later, Oz blows Willow off and is the hero there. Okay; whatever. It's not like Cordy didn't spend two years hearing about the wonder of all things Buffy, only to find out she's not even second best in Xander's eyes. And while I'll give Xander points for the flowers, after that he seemed more determined to prove to Cordy that she meant nothing to him. Funny way to show remorse.

In many ways, this was the last time we saw Cordelia Chase until "City Of" aired. Sure, we got an occasional glimpse, but overall, Cordy was given the short end of the stick in regards to her side of the 'fluking' fallout.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #43
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

YAY! I get 'The Wish' This episode is great apart from one thing. Cordelia dies! Argh! But she's back by the end, so i can cope. This really was the last Cordelia episode, even though the last two acts were pretty Cordy-lite, i think the first two were very Cordy-heavy, so in all it balances out. Besides the real Buffy, Xander and Willow werent in the last three acts much anyway.

Anyway, episode highlights;

Anya!
Harmony!
Cordelia! All in the same scene. A rare sight in Buffyverse.

Buffy dying. *grin* this makes up for her behaviour the past few episodes. (although she doesnt make up for the rest of this seasons behaviour until the end of season 5...)

Angel dying as well. It made me feel good. I wasn't a big fan of Angel at the time and i remember thinking this is good, this is what Buffy needs.

Take that B/Aers they're both dead! HA! Of course, not so good for C/A

Of course, Charisma's acting and wardrobe is always a highlight, especially in the seen where Buffy comes into the alley to see Cordelia. Sorta reminded me of When She Was Bad a little. Anyway, most painful and poignant moment of this episode was VampXander and VampWillow feeding off of Cordelia. Other than that, it was a fun little episode...

Anyway, this is the middle of the best run of episodes in Buffy. I have to say Lover's Walk, The Wish & Amends are the best episdoes in BTVS history. The Spike, Cordy and Jenny eps.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #44
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Okay, I'll take Amends:

Hi.

'Bye.

ETA: Okay, I thought about it, and that was a tad unfair. "Amends" did show us a few things about the Queen:

-- After the sheep debacle in "The Wish," Cordy was starting to rebuild the Cordettes with a different cast.

-- Xander told Cordy something he never told Buffy, so there's that. Shame that Cordy didn't know secrets survive the end of the relationship.

-- Cordy skis.

Last edited by SamIAm; 02-17-2004 at 06:44 PM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #45
Platypus
The Pointy End

Thanks for taking one for the team SamIAm!!! (My gag reflex for "Amends" was only heightened by David Fury's need to reference it in "Double Or Nothing" as yet one more gesture to appease the Quacks.)

Gingerbread

Another ep I really quite enjoyed for what it was - other than the B/A angstorama, Season 3 was by far the most enjoyable for me of any season of BTVS or ATS ever. Jane Espenson, you rocked! We get some nice Cordy/Giles scenes in Giles' car, not to mention her waking him up after he was knocked unconscious for the umpteenth time in the show's history. We also get Cordy helping to save Buffy and Willow, putting the fire out after it's been lit and Buffy and Willow are tied to the stakes. Note that she's doing ALL of this even after the break-up with Xander, and there's no Wesley to be drooling over yet.