Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 02-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #16
Platypus
The Pointy End

Reptile Boy

Sigh. Not exactly Cordy's finest hour, but then again for all that Buffy complained about Cordy, she was good enough to use when Buffy wanted to go out and have some fun. At least Xander shows some wisdom (even if it's motivated by jealousy) by telling Buffy that Cordelia's much better for her than Angel. (And thus a thousand Cordy/Buffy slash fics were spawned?)

I didn't like the above ep, so I'm going to make up for it by doubling up and taking the next one too.

Halloween

Much, much better. First of all, Cordy and Angel at the Bronze. She's still the only one who can really make him laugh and smile - and why not? She may not be tactful, but QueenC is charming.

And this is classic Cordy at her best. Buffy has been transformed into a damsel in distress, but Cordy remains pretty collected, trying to calm Buffy down when she freaks out. Best exchange?

Quote:
Willow: "Okay, your name is Cordelia, you're not a cat, you're in high school, and we're your friends. Well, sort of."
Cordelia: "That's nice, Willow. And you went mental when?"

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:15 AM   #17
Rachelle

First time I truly giggled at her:

Welcome to the Hellmouth
To Jesse: "Don't you have an elsewhere to be?"

First time I knew she was the shit:

Prophecy Girl
"The library- great!"- And she drives her car through the school hallway to the library!

When my heart truly broke for her:

The Wish
Seeing her cry at Xander's betrayal... not to mention her getting impaled the ep before!
"I will stay on Buffy if, and only if, Buffy stays on the WB. And you know what? Print that. My bosses are going to kill me, but print that. I want them to know... The WB has been so supportive, such a great network over the past four years. It feels like home. I don't want the show to move, because I feel that we belong on the WB. It's where our fans are. If Buffy leaves the WB, I'm out." -Sarah Michelle Geller. ** Does anyone have a time machine?
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #18
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Well, I'll take "Lie To Me," I guess. Not that it's difficult; Cordelia was in only one scene. But it was a sort of prophetic in light of later events. Anyway, Cordy takes Marie Antoinette's side in the French Revolution, demonstrating her suitablity to be royalty, something clearly established in the Pylea arc.

Since that was so easy, I'm also going to take "The Dark Age." This is one of my favorite sleeper episodes. It's in this one that Cordelia becomes a full-fledged member of the gang, volunteering her services because she 'cares about Giles too.' Cordy/Giles (eww!) fic aside, it's our first hint that Cordelia's outside 'me, me, me' attitude hides a compassionate human being.

(What I wouldn't have given to know why Cordelia built those walls so high and so thick. More squandered opportunity.)

Last edited by SamIAm; 02-10-2004 at 07:45 AM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #19
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Which brings us to 'What's My Line? Part 1' In which the bickering between Xander and Cordelia continues but escalates and is in every scene with Cordy.

Scene 1:

CORDELIA: I aspire to help my fellow man. Check. As long as he’s not smelly, dirty or something gross.

XANDER: Cordelia Chase, always ready to give a helping hand to the rich and the pretty.

CORDELIA: Which, lucky me, excludes you, twice

Scene 2:

CORDELIA: Oh, here I am, personal shopper or motivational speaker. Neato.

XANDER: Motivational speaker, on what? Ten ways to a more annoying you?

CORDELIA: Oh, what about you? You’re – (She walks off laughing.)

Scene 3:

CORDELIA: I can’t even believe you, you drag me out of bed for a ride, what am I, mass transportation?

XANDER: That’s what a lot of the guys say, but it’s just locker room talk, I wouldn’t pay it any money.

CORDELIA: Oh, great, so now I’m your taxi and your punching bag?

XANDER: I like to think of you more as my witless foil, but have it your way. He knocks on the door. Buffy! Come on, Cordelia, you want to be a member of the Scooby Gang, you’ve got to be willing to be inconvenienced every now and again.

CORDELIA: Right, because I lie awake at night hoping you tweakos will be my best friends. And that my first husband will be a balding demented homeless man.

XANDER: Buffy could be in trouble.

CORDELIA: And what if she is exactly? What are you going to do about it? In case you hadn’t notice, you’re the lame ass and she’s the super chick or whatever.

That's it for Cordy for this episode. She only had dialogue with him, although does invite a homicidial worm demon into the house when he says the magic word.

CORDELIA: Free?

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #20
Platypus
The Pointy End

I really feel that a former (or current) C/X shipper (ewww!) should do the honours for "What's My Line Pt. 2" - it wouldn't be right any other way. But since I'm neither former nor current, I will pass and wait for someone else to do the ep justice.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #21
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
But since I'm neither former nor current, I will pass and wait for someone else to do the ep justice.
Also waiting.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #22
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Also waiting.
Huh. For some reason I thought you were, if not a "shipper" (ewww!), at least a supporter. Does your position match mine? Love Cordy, adore Xander to pieces, but never thought there was anything between the two of them but hormones? Truth be told, I don't think either of them ever fundamentally respected the other, and that's why I was never really a supporter, but I know that other people felt strongly about the couple.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:39 AM   #23
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Huh. For some reason I thought you were, if not a "shipper" (ewww!), at least a supporter. Does your position match mine? Love Cordy, adore Xander to pieces, but never thought there was anything between the two of them but hormones? Truth be told, I don't think either of them ever fundamentally respected the other, and that's why I was never really a supporter, but I know that other people felt strongly about the couple.
I think Xander and Cordy could have been the real deal, so I feel worse about how they parted than the couple they were the thematic mirror for, but yes, there was a fundamental lack of respect there. That said, I think the longer it went on, the more respect Cordelia seemed to have for Xander, but that respect was never reciprocated. You need no more proof than "Homecoming," which I'll skip ahead to assuming this scene isn't on the list of best Cordy scenes. After the "fluke," Willow is all about not hurting Oz. Xander is also all about not hurting Oz. Now, who's name is missing there?

Anyway, as the designated mirror couple to Buffy and Angel, they worked fine; all passion, no respect, basically illustrating the problem with B/A while B/A's problems were hidden behind all the histrionics. They managed to be a better couple than B/A since they avoided that duos' tendency to physically assault each other, but healthy? No, not even close. I don't even think love was a factor, just groping.

OTOH, if Joss is bound and determined to claim a passé high school romance has a chance of lasting, I could see Xander and Cordelia being that couple far more easily than Buffy and Angel. C/X's issues stemmed from personal attitudes and issues, which can (and in Cordy's case, did) change, while B/A's issues are fundamental to who Buffy and Angel are.

So someone who did like what they saw please pick up this thread before it jumps the tracks completely.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #24
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

And on to Part 2 then...

THE greatest moment in the history of Buffy. Just when the viewer was starting to get totally bored with the constant bickering...

XANDER: Could you sit down or change your pattern or something, you’re making me queasy.

CORDELIA: Because you’re just sitting there, you should be thinking of a plan.

XANDER: I have a plan, we wait, Buffy saves us.

CORDELIA: How will she even know where to find us?

XANDER: Cordelia, this is Buffy’s house, odds are she’ll find us.

CORDELIA: Well, what if she doesn’t? What am I supposed to do? Just waste away down here with you? Ha! No, thank you!

XANDER: What are you doing?

CORDELIA: Going to see if he’s gone!

XANDER: That’s brilliant, what if he isn’t?

CORDELIA: Oh, right, you think we should just slack here and hope that somebody else decides to be a hero? Sorry, forgot I was stranded with a loser!

XANDER: And yet I never forgot that I’m stuck with the numb brain who let Mr Mutant in the house in the first place!

CORDELIA: He looked normal!

XANDER: What is he supposed to have an arrow with the word assassin over his head? All it took was the prospect of a free makeover and you licked his hand like a big dumb dog!

CORDELIA: You know what? I’m going! I’d rather be worm food than look at your pathetic face.

XANDER: Then go, I’m not stopping you!

CORDELIA: I bet you wouldn’t. I bet you’d let a girl go off to her doom all by herself!

XANDER: Not just any girl, you’re special.

CORDELIA: I can’t believe that I’m stuck spending what will probably be my last few moments on Earth here with you!

XANDER: I hope that these are my last moments three more seconds with you and I’m going to –

CORDELIA: I’m going to what? Coward!

XANDER: Moron!

CORDELIA: I hate you!

XANDER: I hate you!

Then they burst into a hilariously passionate kiss complete with cheesy music, before both running out of the basement, preferring to face Worm Guy than each other. Come on, even a non-shipper (i'm not a great supporter) has to admit that this was a good scene. Even Cordelia and Xander were non-shippers so in a way, no one really wanted this to happen, but it produced a great scene. which leads to Cordelia later taking her anger out on the little bitty worms.

NEXT!

Old 02-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #25
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Wow, no one really wanted "Ted." This is another ep light on Cordy, but she did get to use her keen sense of style and crack the case when she noticed the rug didn't really belong with the rest of the room.

And an editorial comment, Cordelia's claim that there should be different rules for Buffy seem ironic now in light of the way BtVS ended.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:50 AM   #26
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ok, this episode sees the introduction of soliloquy (sp?) girl. When Buffy just mentions Cordy's cute bear bag, Cordy goe off on one...

Hey, I’ll have you know, my father brought this bear back from Versailles five years ago and then all of a sudden these trendoids everywhere started sporting them, so I’m totally not wearing it. Then I thought, “Hey, I’m the one who started this nation-wide craze, what am I ashamed of?”

But, while this ep, may not have shown off the best our Cordy can be... she was possessed by a kinda demonic egg for a large part. She does manage to knock Buffy out in one go... We all knew she was the toughest, right?

Oh, by the way, it was called Bad Eggs

Old 02-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #27
Platypus
The Pointy End

Awwww. I have a soft spot for Bad Eggs. Cordy just wanted to be one of the gang - she was very concerned to find out whether or not she had had the chance to hit Xander too.

Surprise and Innocence

Since this was a two-parter, and since we're just tearing though these titles at an unbelievable pace, I'll take 'em both. It's been a long time since I've seen them, as I have a pretty low tolerance for Buffy/Angel melodrama, and Buffy whining about Angel not being around for her birthday was more than a bit grating to me.

Cordy highlights? There's plenty of Cordy/Xander bickering, but it must be said at this point that Cordy is a full fledged member of the Gang. She uses her "hotliness" to distract the guard at the military base. And, of course, there's one piece of dialogue that serves as inspiration for Terry's "lower place theory".

Cordelia: "This is great. There's an unkillable demon in town, Angel's joined his team, the Slayer is a basket case... I'd say we've hit bottom."
Xander: "I have a plan."
Cordelia: "Oh, no, here's a lower place."

Old 02-14-2004, 12:09 PM   #28
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Awwww. I have a soft spot for Bad Eggs.
"Bad Eggs" is my favorite of the BtVS camp episodes. Plus, I gotta say, that black leather miniskirt Cordy was wearing doesn't hurt.

Quote:
And, of course, there's one piece of dialogue that serves as inspiration for Terry's "lower place theory".
Cordelia always could cram a complex thought into a nutshell.

So "Phases." What can I say except I remember next to nothing about it. Um, there was the Cordy/Willow scene where they were bonding over guys who just don't get it. It's too bad they were talking about the same guy at that point.

Which leads me to my absolute favorite episode of Buffy, "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered.". I'm in awe when I remember this episode was written in less than seven days to accomodate SMG's SNL appearence, and by the Buffy writer I like the least at that.

I fell in love during this episode. Well, as much as you can love a fictional character anyway. The exact moment is right after Xander asks Cordelia to give him the necklace back. Cordelia claims it's in her locker, but we actually see that she was wearing it. Some people believe she wore it to show off the necklace. I don't really see who she'd be showing that Wal-Mart looking thing off to in the first place, not to mention why she'd wear it inside of a high-collar blouse buttoned all the way up if she did want to show it off, but logic sort of slides by some people. I conclude she wore it because it meant something to her. Anyway, that's the moment when like moved up to love. And for the record, while I never thought a lot of C/X, (see earlier in the thread), they did have their moments. This was one of them. The sheep speech was another. A truly classic episode for the ages.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #29
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

And that brings us painfully onto Passion. Amidst all the chaos of Jenny's death and Angelus's stalking of Buffy. This ep shows Cordy right in the middle of the gang partying with them at the Bronze, but she does still show her usual compassion when she finds out that there is a way to de-invite Angel from her car(...?... i always thought that odd... anyway...) anyway, showing her compassion for older people (and family...)

"Oh, thank goodness, I actually had to talk my grandmother into switching cars with me last night!"

And then later on when she's at Willow's (actually at Willow's with Willow and Buffy and no Xander) she displays her love of speaking without tact (something explained why in the next episode)

"Willow, are you aware that there are no fish in your aquarium?"

An OK ep for Cordy.

Old 02-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #30
Platypus
The Pointy End

Killed by Death

This is one of my favorite Season 2 episodes. The poor Buffy stuff I can ignore in favour of some genuinely interesting interaction between Xander and Cordy. We get the first sign that Cordy is very much aware that Xander still has a thing for Buffy, and the first sign of Cordy standing up for herself and starting to demand that Xander put her first. ("Watch MY back".) And even though she's put off by him, she still brings him coffee and doughnuts. Because that's just the kind of gal she is - she won't hold back on telling you when she's mad, but she won't pout about it either or let it get in the way of her helping to do what's right.

We also see Cordy as truthteller cutting to the heart of things, and especially with respect to Buffy's weak excuses. She may not have been tactful, but it was incredibly insightful of her to understand Buffy's desire to conjure up a monster to fight so that she wouldn't have to feel so helpless. (Of course, because it was BTVS, there WAS a monster, but Cordy was still very right.)

And lastly, one of my favorite all-time Cordy lines: "Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."