Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #16
nickletv

Awwww

Unfortunately I'm not in the fic writing business anymore, LOL. It became too painful for me after I dropped off watching AtS. I just like to revisit the 'Jesse' series whenever I feel nostalgic for C/X.

As for the 'current' situation in the Jossverse-the situation you came up with was pretty satisfying. My angle on that story would be C/X taking a while to get back to a good place, a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing as he would finally realize and deal with how much he did hurt her way back then, tell Willow and Buffy off and assert his right to date and love who he wants, and she would deal with how she didn't open up enough to him and wasn't there for him then like she can and wants to be now. After the usually against the odds big battle, Cordy is made human, and she and Xander set up the New England or California branch of the New Watcher's Council, have lots of kids, and live pretty much happily ever after.( My Xander love wobbles back and forth sometimes (Lover's Walk is hard for me get past on some days, lol) so sometimes I substitute Giles in for Xander and am just as happy, LOL)

BTW nodaskip- I cannot say how much Cordy in Charmedverse would rock. Heck Charisma in Charmedverse as an early or later ancestor would rock.

Sigh. I miss Cordy, LOL.
nickletv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #17
nodakskip

Re: Awwww

Quote:
Originally posted by nickletv
BTW nodaskip- I cannot say how much Cordy in Charmedverse would rock. Heck Charisma in Charmedverse as an early or later ancestor would rock.
Well I have the first two chapters up at www.fanfiction.net. Cordy is for sure in it as is Xander. Im just trying to stick as close to the Charmed storyline as I can. I never really watched Charmed that much so I have to watch a lot of eps. My tivo has been working over time.Thank god for TNT.

But I think I have a way to make it work.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:50 AM   #18
Carolina

Re: Awwww

Quote:
Originally posted by nickletv
My angle on that story would be C/X taking a while to get back to a good place, a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing as he would finally realize and deal with how much he did hurt her way back then, tell Willow and Buffy off and assert his right to date and love who he wants, and she would deal with how she didn't open up enough to him and wasn't there for him then like she can and wants to be now. After the usually against the odds big battle, Cordy is made human, and she and Xander set up the New England or California branch of the New Watcher's Council, have lots of kids, and live pretty much happily ever after
Sounds good to me. Your Jesse stories are too cute for words, btw. I understand your feelings about Lovers' Walk, though. I really wished they'd done a scene in the third season where Xander and Cordy really talked about what went down. Unfortunately, communication was one of their weakest points. At the time, they were just too afraid of getting hurt to really tell each other how felt. But the love was still there. I can't believe I just said something so sappy about a couple of tv characters.

Quote:
Originally posted by nodaskip
Cordy was talking to Xander again and Im guessing had a talk with him before she left town. But yet many writers turn them back into "I hate you."
I never understood that, either. They either do that or they don't even have Cordy and Xander acknowledge each other. I always figured they'd have a lot of unresolved emotions or sexual tension upon seeing each other again. I think at least be cordial or possibly snarky(but in a reasonably friendly way).

Anyhoo, I just loved them because they were the total opposite of B/A. Neither one of them went for all that dramatic crap and just seemed to enjoy one another. Another long post, I know, but I could muse on my X/C love all day long.

Last edited by Carolina; 02-06-2004 at 02:57 AM.
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
mef2101
TiVoholic! Have pity.

Re: Re: Awwww

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolina

Anyhoo, I just loved them because they were the total opposite of B/A. Neither one of them went for all that dramatic crap and just seemed to enjoy one another. Another long post, I know, but I could muse on my X/C love all day long.
You know, I've always had a very soft spot for Xander/Cordy. I think you explained why... Theirs was a normal, emotional and hormone driven high school relationship that didn't involve bloodsucking and slaying powers at the core, and it certainly was not tinged with pedophilia.

I confess I really enjoyed C/A, too, so perhaps I was simply rooting for all Cordelia's relationships.

But Xander... he was the wiseass, the self-deprecating realist of the Scoobies, who often said things Cordy might, but with a touch less acid. He was the goofball with whom many high school guys identified. And to romance someone like Cordelia Chase, it was just every guy's dream.

That Xander was an idiot who messed it up cannot be questioned. Yet can that be as much of an obstacle to rebuilding a better, closer relationship, than all the vampire/slayer mistrust central to the "eternal one true pairing" ME is forcing us to gag on? How often have we known of (or been involved in) high school (or adult) relationships full of initial misunderstandings and hurt that later became closer?

These two were presented as surprisingly shy people: we saw Xander as insecure, but only over time could we realize that Cordelia was, at her core, very guarded. Cordy created a high school persona that was able to deal with all the worries and insecurities she shared with every other student. But these defense mechanisms, Xander's cynical humor and Cordelia's aloof bitchiness, kept the two of them from letting themselves know how much they really cared for the other.

Both were very afraid of getting hurt, by making themselves too vulnerable.

Cordy may have been the first to realize and admit her feelings for Xander. Yet she never let him know. And Xander, after the Willow confusion, and after he saw just how hurtful his behavior was, finally began to realize how important Cordelia was. I don't think he ever gave up trying to win her back.

He remained very protective of Cordelia throughout high school. He kept her secret, knowing how embarassed she was at her family's fall from grace. His purchase of the prom dress for her was thoughtful and sweet.

He grew up. He really understood that his actions have consequences, often hurtful, to others.

And he understood just how much he did NOT want to bring pain to Cordelia.

I will always keep in my mind the thought that Xander could not marry Anya because he was meant for someone else. And that someone was not Buffy.

Last edited by mef2101; 02-13-2004 at 05:15 PM.
mef2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #20
Carolina

Re: Re: Re: Awwww

Quote:
Originally posted by mef2101
I will always keep in my mind the thought that Xander could not marry Anya because he was meant for someone else. And that someone was not Buffy.
Yay! Don't get me wrong, Xanya had their moments, but they were not meant to last. In various forums I've read people saying that they didn't think Xander & Cordy would still work now. They've both changed too much. They're different people. Different people? Yes. Changed too much? No. I think that over the years both Xander and Cordy have matured and become responsible adults. However, I think they still have all the same qualities that each of them fell in love with. They'd have issues to work through dealing with what happened in HS, but they could have a lifetime of happiness together.
And you summed up the wonderfulness that is Xander perfectly!

Last edited by Carolina; 02-13-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #21
DeeDee
Foxy Lady

You know...

You know the funny thing is I actually think that Anya *was* good for Xander and they were actually as good for each other as were Xander/Cordelia. The problem I think was less about either pairing working as the fact that the *writers* never got behind either pairing enough to see them through, which in both instances (IMO) would've ended with either couple together in the end. Xander/Cordy or Xander/Anya should've been/were meant to be the Chandler/Monica of the Buffyverse, and be the stable, loving *rocks* that "made it" in the end and that showed that friends stuck by each other and love could endure thus cleverly flipping one of Joss' own cliches (love doesn't last) directly on it's head.

I have a soft spot on my heart for *both* Xander/Anya & Xander/Cordelia. I don't mind either girl being with him in the long run although I tend to like Cordelia relating to him a little more as a friend because I think suprisingly enough that *SHE* was/is his best friend (as much if not moreso) than Willow and a *helluva* lot more than Buffy (although argueably it's the writer's fault here). Cordelia was also the one who could cut through the *bullshit* with anyone and I think that Xander really liked that. I also think that the writers were put in a bind given the extremely breezy, affectionate & loving chemistry that NB had with *both* CC & EC and that even though they did their best to push Willow & Buffy to the detriment of everything else that that onscreen chemistry just couldn't be denied.

Xander has the tendency to bring out the best in every woman he's involved with for the most part (Cordy, Anya, Willow, Faith, Buffy, Dawn, Tara, Amy, even Ampata). Cordelia has that same ability as well (Xander, Angel, Gunn, Wes, Groo, Phantom!Dennis, Lorne, hell even argueably Lindsey).

I'm a well known Xander lover as well as a *devout* Cordelia & Anya lover too. Don't get me wrong, they're not Mary Sue's or Gary Stu's or anything, all 3 have their faults. But the kicker is that both pairings would endure *despite* instead of break up *because of* them had ME's storytelling been worth shit IMO.

I think with X/C though as mef said they were both extremely shy people but were extremely alike as well. The only difference was that Xander's coped with humor and Cordelia with rampant bitchfests. I think the funny thing about it was that Buffy never fully "got" Xander, but Willow (although the *dumbass* writers forgot about it), *Cordelia* and to a slightly lesser degree Anya did. I also think that Xander *loved* both Cordelia & Anya's strength & honesty.

So like I said I can't get mad at either X/C or X/Any. I love them both pretty much equally.

The Cute One

Last edited by DeeDee; 02-14-2004 at 10:07 AM.
DeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #22
Carolina

Ah, they're back to season two on FX. This couple's prime. I love looking back on the episodes before they got together and seeing the sparks and hints of what was to come. Unfortunately BtVS wasn't even on my radar back then, but I can only imagine what it was like to see these eps first run. I probably wouldn't have seen the smooch in What's My Line coming.

I really enjoy watching these eps now, but it makes me a little sad knowing the future and character assination in store for poor Xander and Cordelia. Season two was when Xander really peaked, imo. Sure he was into three women and had some problems getting his points across in sensitive ways, but he wasn't a buttmonkey yet and still had the stones to confront Buffy when she was wrong and make difficult choices (i.e. the big lie). This was Xander's golden year.

Cordy peaked in season two of AtS, although the first part of BtVS season three was also a high point. Cordy in AtS season two came to embody all the qualities viewers had seen glimses of in the previous years. She was strong, devoted to her friends and to helping others, but still embodied the qualities that made her Cordy. I still wish that Xander could have met up sometime in season five and gotten back together. What about Anya, you say? I'm not going to start about Anya because I know that others of you disagree with me on this. I love Xander and I love Anya, but I don't think they were right for each other in the long haul. What I'm saying is that at this point in time or after You're Welcome if the motherf***in writers hadn't killed her off, Xander and Cordy really would have been awesome.

I guess in some ways I wish Cordy hadn't moved to AtS. I love Angel, Wes, Gunn, Lorne and Fred, but I like seeing Cordy reacting off the Scoobs more. Maybe I'd feel differently if Cordy had ever done a crossover episode or if Xander had gone to L.A., but alas. I never wanted AtS to really separate from BtVS.
Boy, that was a lot longer and more rambling than I'd intended. And all of this is just my very X/C biased opinion, of course.

Last edited by Carolina; 03-06-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #23
CAMartin
Oh! A bird!

I feel the same way sometimes when i wonder if Cordelia hadn't moved over to Angel, or if the show tanked after the first season and she returned to Buffy. I have to admit, there would have been some fun tension for Cordy to return to see her old HS-Sweetheart with the demon who killed her (in an alternate dimension, of course).

But then again, as much as i loved Buffy, it tanked in the last two or perhaps three years. No offense to season five, it spat out some really excellent episodes, more heartrending than funny, sure, but still...(a.k.a. 'the Body'. Miss Sutherland is the best, and i always give her props for a job well done. Hey! It's hard playing dead! Specially if you have to have your eyes open the whole time!)

And i'd hate to see Cordy on a show like that. Angel was good for the most part, with the exception of Season4/5. Your Welcome was her best episode to date and we got to say goodbye. Though she was practically forgotten in Season 5, treated badly in S4, and turned into a...saint (gag) in S3, she was the best character and she made Angel good.

On Buffy? I don't think she would have had the luxury. There would have been some tension at first, sure, but it would have died down with the whole 'I'm Buffy, bow down before me!' era.

I'll come back and edit when my brain is awake. It's pretty early here.
CAMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 02:52 AM   #24
Izzychase
Canuck For Life!

Skip:

You write some awesome Xandman! Keep writing those C/X fics- they're great.

I loved your Roswell fic too: it brought joyful tears to my eyes.

Thanks for the great read!

Iz.
Faith In Faith #001
~Still Missing Doyle~
Doyle and Cordelia: Heroes to the very end.
Proud Cordelia/Angel, Giles/Jenny, Wesley/Faith, Dawn/Connor, and Lindsey/Lilah shipper
Izzychase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #25
nodakskip

Quote:
Skip:

You write some awesome Xandman! Keep writing those C/X fics- they're great.

I loved your Roswell fic too: it brought joyful tears to my eyes.

Thanks for the great read!

Iz.
Why thank you. I just wish I had more time to work on them.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:20 AM   #26
landshark

I can't remember the episode that my fav. C/X moment is in!
Damn, it's late now and my brain is fuzzy so I'm not exactly sure what episode it is in. It may be season 2 or early season 3 before their breakup.It was something I caught in a rerun on FX.The gang are in the student's lounge sitting on the couch and Buffy comes to the group with something to say.
Actually, the moment is more like a quick, 'blink and you'll miss it' type of exchange between CC & NB. The focus is on Buffy in the scene but CC & NB are still in the shot,and maybe they weren't aware that they were-- because it looked like there was a little ad libbed flirtation going on. CC was just being silly with NB--and to me, it seemed more like a Charisma thing and not a Cordy thing when I saw it. Very Cute.
landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #27
Wravyn
Pseudo-Superhero

CX moment...lots of good ones. Cordy telling what she presumed to be Xander-fish that she'd bring him bath toys in "Go Fish." The necklace-by-the-locker one in BBB, I think someone already mentioned. Her bringing him Krispy Kreme when Buffy was in the hospital. C'mon...his buying her the Prom dress...

Ah, CX. It's what carried me over all those years ago.

A shoutout to Nickle, whose fics have been a staple in my Saved Files folder since the days of Bucky's Fondue Hut.
A little bit thicker, a little bit harmful for me

ring a ding ding: art...and the like.
Wravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #28
nodakskip

I just got something back today that I thought Id share here. I had gotten two pics drawn by one of the guys who worked/ is maybe working on the Buffy Animated show. I framed them along with Cordy/Xanders "Graduation Class of 99 card" from season 3.

I am thinking this is going right between my uncut sheets of Buffy season 3 and Angel season one cards.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #29
Wravyn
Pseudo-Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodakskip
I just got something back today that I thought Id share here. I had gotten two pics drawn by one of the guys who worked/ is maybe working on the Buffy Animated show. I framed them along with Cordy/Xanders "Graduation Class of 99 card" from season 3.
That's a perfect looking Xander. I hope they do the relationship justice in the show.
A little bit thicker, a little bit harmful for me

ring a ding ding: art...and the like.
Wravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:50 PM   #30
nodakskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wravyn
That's a perfect looking Xander. I hope they do the relationship justice in the show.
The first 8 animated scripts were written years ago before the C/A and B/S so my guess is that they will be tweaked a bit. But I wonder if the show will be its own AU like the Star Trek Animated is.

But if Joss has full input again my guess is he will push the B/A,and maybe C/X stuff. He has called the C/A a mistake that the fans hated. Granted he listned to 90%of the B/A fans to make that call. This board here shows that some people did like it.

But since its a show I wonder how it will be made. Cordelia may be dumbed down in the way of her insults. And she may be she just shown haning around with Xander but not show anything. Since they wouldnt want 12-14 year olds to go make out in a closet somewhere. (unless its on the Cartoon Network.)

Plus its a 100% sure thing that somehow Joss's love child and that man he wishes to be, Spike, will show up very soon.

The wild card in any C/X thing will be Willow. I havent seen any Oz pics from the show and I dont think they will get SG so no Oz could mean a W/X thing.