Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 12-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #46
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

C/A was my first real 'ship...and remains my only real one, in fact. And what I loved most about them was that they brought out the best in each other. Knowing each other made them better people. I can't imagine either one getting where they got if they hadn't known each other.

I was into B/A when it was going on (although I started getting tired of it in season 3, but I still didn't want Angel to leave her) but, boy, did they bring out the worst in each other. It was like being together stunted them or something. And I kinda get why. They felt like their relationship was under constant siege (disapproval from others, the "unnaturalness" of a Slayer and a vampire being in love, their own doubts and fears about the relationship being able to work). As a result, they almost seemed to try to surround themselves with this protective bubble, one designed to keep all of the outside (and internal) issues from coming in and messing things up. But, by trying to protect their love from the outside world, and forget all their troubles (or at least pretend they didn't exist) when they were together, they were preventing their relationship from changing and growing. I mean, when you preserve something, yeah, it can last forever. But it's frozen and static.

C/A was about dealing with life together. Taking things on, side-by-side. Not trying to forget their problems, but sharing them, and offering to help each other get through them. Being able to run away from it all with the person you love might seem romantic and all. But real love is about facing life, living it, both good and bad, together. That's what makes relationships stronger.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #47
brownsbros3

Very nicely put Danielle.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #48
MsT05

I am a bit of an odd duck I guess. On BtVS I liked all the couples quite a bit. Yep, even Riley and Buffy. I thought Buffy and Angel was an intriguing relationship to watch play out while it lasted. Part of what I liked about Buffy's relationships is that I could relate to all of them. The one that doesn't work out (for various reasons and all overwhelming), the good guy (because it is right and he won't hurt you), and the abusive grab bag and just for sex one (emotional/physical/verbal doesn't matter as long as it gives you a minute of comfort and endless feelings of self-loathing).

What I liked about C/A was that in the world of tv, it was allowed to evolve slowly. They may have been friends, but they built a family. Did it stem from neediness? Yes, Cordy needed to belong and feel useful. Angel needed someone to keep him in the world. Yes, Cordy accepted Angel, warts and all. (Which is why the Season 4 ep where Cordy regains her memory and claims to have seen all of Angelus's evil and that was why she couldn't be with him was CRAP! Cordy had first hand dealings with Angelus from Sunnydale; she ALWAYS knew. breathe )

Ahem. They were the next step in relationships. They respected, loved, cared for and trusted each other beyond what either had experienced before. Their falling in love was quite natural and understandable and undeniable to anyone who saw the way they looked at each other.

Angel fought hard to put a stop to any pain or danger Cordy might have been in, because she became the heart that beat inside his chest and Angel Investigations. Season 5 got one thing right for sure and that was displaying just how lost Angel is without Cordy. Yes, they had a mission to help the helpless, but she gave him a reason to look forward to living another day. Angel didn't have that before Cordy. Cordy pushed, pulled and prodded to keep Angel among the living because it was what he needed.

Dannyblue posted some excellent points that are worth repeating:

"I've probably said this before, but what I liked most about C/A was that I could imagine them married, and still in love, in 40 or 50 years. There that old, gray couple who bicker all the time. Then, suddenly, the old guy pinches his wife on the behind, and she scolds him for being a dirty old man, but you can see the laughter in her eyes."
I could see this too. And C/A would have had many challenges if Joss had allowed the relationship to be pursued. There was excellent story potential in it, if he had cared enough. Instead of sabotoging the show. IMO

"C/A was about dealing with life together. Taking things on, side-by-side. Not trying to forget their problems, but sharing them, and offering to help each other get through them. Being able to run away from it all with the person you love might seem romantic and all. But real love is about facing life, living it, both good and bad, together. That's what makes relationships stronger."

That was C/A alright.
MsT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #49
brownsbros3

Nodaskip and I had a conversation over www.charisma-carpenter.com, and I thought he put it best. Angel was the adult show, whereas Buffy always had that high school vibe about it. B/A was one-dimensional, while C/A had lots of layers to it. David and Charisma had such good chemistry together, are such talented actors, and are so natural together that I caught myself wondering at times if some of their feelings might have been real. (Apparently not since they both went on to marry other people.)
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #50
CA4eva
Doyle<3hero(RIP, Glenn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelsew
Can I sum up all of my Cordy/Angel love in this? No. Will I try? No. Will I put a few things on here that remind me why C/A is such a wonderful couple? Duh.

Honestly, I didn't watch it in the beginning (BtVS). I was a little kid then...I didn't even know what they were talking about. (Don't worry, after years and years I've seen just about every episode, spoiler-thingy, and review possible; pretend like I was there all along!) Anyway...onto C/A goodness...

B/A was just too lusty for me. They couldn't hang out or have fun...or anything. And Buffy treated Angel like crap. (Notice: she treats Spike the same way...that girl has issues beyond my theraputic repair.)

Buffy, re: Angel's kisses
"It makes me want to die."

Also

Buffy and Angel:
Angel: You think I'm an animal? (More of a statement, actually. From his POV.)
Buffy: No. Animals I like.

Buffy tends to become an obsession for vamps, most likely a slayer thing.

While I won't doubt Angel and Buffy's love for each other in the beginning, it's over now. Cordelia is his light, she has a way with words and she makes his blood without the ittiest bittiest grimace. She cares about him. Way I see it, (In S1 Ats) Cordelia wanted to accept Doyle and Angel to some degree, so that they would accept her. That acceptance just got bigger and bigger, it grew throughout the seasons. They fell in love.

Plus, B/A was like that teenage time in your life when you think you'll be with that person forever. No, Angel was NOT a teen, but it was still Teen Love.

After two-hundred plus years, the guy grew up.
Cordelia did to.
They grew up together.
Okay, we'll pretend (lol). The kiss thing is something I found quite...Out of place. I couldn't decipher it to actually meaning something....'good'...Rather, why would you want to die if someone kissed you? Other than if its a horrible, horrible, beyond thoughts possible bad kiss, I don't really see the purpose of 'dying' because of that kiss...And I'm pretty sure Angel is a damn good kisser!

All of the things you listed are so true. C/A understand each other, the 'real' deal in relationships in my point of view, while B/A was, well...Like many people said, lust....We might've been moved by the fact Buffy and Angel 'walk through the school, come under a roofing, and Buffy moves on while Angel stays behind because of the sunlight' thing but now that you look back at it....It was really emphasising Buffy's need to have Angel in the sunlight...HTF are you supposed to wish that with a VAMPIRE?

With B/A, it was always like.....'We can't be together' 'Our love is forbidden' 'It wasn't meant to be' 'It's not possible' or just plain crying, crying, needing, crying, dreaming about guy coming to girl's bedroom and making out (again, LUST!) and more crying, crying....

With C/A it is, 'We're friends' 'Tell me about your past' 'Let's talk' friendly hugs, encouragements, understanding, comfort, the smiles that light up the day....It really sums up to a very healthy relationship not the dark, unrealistic fling that Bangel was....Sorry to say to B/Aers, but all hope for B/A was lost the MOMENT Angel disappeared into the darkness of the shadows in Graduation Day p2. The rest of the 'Bangely poison sugaryness' was forced upon us.

ChosenTwo, you're my hero
CA4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #51
brownsbros3

You can also look at the way the two girls would insult Angel. When Cordelia would insult him, most of the time, she meant it as a joke. When Buffy would insult Angel, she was doing it to hurt him. With Cordelia, Angel would poke fun at her too, especially her love of money. He could never do that with Buffy, because she'd probably take it seriously.

I watched Sanctuary this morning, and they really just made Buffy come off as a bitch in that episode. I still don't get why she hit him first, yet he's the one that apologized? She clearly didn't respect Angel. While Cordelia may not have always agreed with him, she still respected him.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #52
angelfan5589
crazy about Angel?

I think the first time I liked C/A was in Never Kill a Boy on the First Date. Cordelia was the cool teen that sort of opened up but was really closed off. Angel was just closed off. When I heard Cordelia say "Hello salty goodness, call 911 that boy's gonna need some serious oxygen after I'm through with him." I said they better get together.
Why C/A is THE best ship.
~Cordelia helps Angel when there's not anything in it for her. She just helps him because he's her friend.
~Angel's comfortable around Cordelia and vis versa.
~Angel let the "baby" slip in Heartthrob
~he called her the most beautiful woman he ever saw.(Waiting in the wings)
~Cordelia mad him laugh in BTVS (AMAZING)
~Cordelia cares about him and he cares abut her.
~He's more scared of her dying then she is.
~They have Kyrumption AND moira.
~They are best friends.
~Angel lost his soul when he was loving her not after. Thats true love.
~Angel wondered about that time in Tomorrow all the time.
~He loves it when she glows.
~They bring out the best in each other.
~Angel has never met a person like Cordelia.
~Cordelia cared about his birthday.
~She turns him into a stuttering idiot.
~He gets excited about her patching him up.
~She heats his blood and puts additives in it.
~Cordelia said Angels name first when she woke in Shanshu to LA and Birthday.
~Angel was furious that Cordelia didnt tell him about the visions.
~Angel really hurt her when he fired them
~She became a better friend even though he put her through pain.
~He always catches her when she has a vision.
~They see the best in each other.
~She called him her guy (You're Welcome)

I can go on forever but that is some of the reasons why C/A is awsome. and b/A is
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #53
Luna
The heart never dies

Cordelia was so selfless when it came to Angel, she was ready to die for him when she wanted to keep the visions. And he also would have sacrificed his life for her, I know that.

Their relationship would have become so great if the writers hadn´t messed it up.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #54
Jaime Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue View Post

C/A was about dealing with life together. Taking things on, side-by-side. Not trying to forget their problems, but sharing them, and offering to help each other get through them. Being able to run away from it all with the person you love might seem romantic and all. But real love is about facing life, living it, both good and bad, together. That's what makes relationships stronger.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #55
Luna
The heart never dies

Yeah, Angel and Cordy were there for each other, not only in good times but also in bad times. They faced the problems together without freaking out, that made them very strong. But they also could laugh together what he never could with Buffy.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #56
Jaime Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Yeah, Angel and Cordy were there for each other, not only in good times but also in bad times. They faced the problems together without freaking out, that made them very strong. But they also could laugh together what he never could with Buffy.
Cordy made him really smile too.
Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #57
Luna
The heart never dies

That´s right, Angel never smiled when he was with Buffy, he was always so serious. When Cordy came into his life, that had changed.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #58
OCNON

C/A appealed to me because it was real and not forced. Look at how they grew together as friends. They grew close and been through the ups and downs of a normal friendship. They still made it(Joss only shished on it to pish us off) then that is what made them close. The closer they got to know each other the more on a 'more than friends' they got. They didn't just hit it off on one season like buffy did with angel. It took time and perfection. I am a C/Aer because I know that thier relationship is a C/Aer relationship. B/A was never real enough for me to hold onto and say they were soulmates. it just didn't feel genuine. Just a way of letting off steam, just like Buffy did with spike. It is the same thing. Buffy always cries making everything center around her like no one else has feelings. With Cordy, every one can be heard and thier emotions felt. Thats why C/A appealed to me, they didn't cry all the time like a crybuffy.
OCNON is offline   Reply With Quote