Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
wereleopard

Pic of James Marsters on Torchwood

Commenting on his role in Torchwood, James says: "I am a huge fan of Doctor Who and Torchwood so it was me who knocked on their door.

"I am really excited about the character I am playing. I can't say too much about him, except he is naughty and a bit of a psychopath."
wereleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
starlet2367
glitterati

And he --->kisses the sh1t out of Captain Jack!<---

I can't wait for this ep!
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
tootyfnfruity

when i where can i find this show?

tootyfnfruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootyfnfruity View Post
when i where can i find this show?
BBC America is showing the first season now. Marsters is in a second season episode, so it could be a while before is available here.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I've all but given up on Torchwood not even Capt. Jack makes the show worth watching. Maybe by the time S2 comes around it'll be better if nothing else I'll try and watch the JM episode.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Kit

Speaking of JM, I heard that he's gonna play the villain in the movie version of "Dragon Ball Z". Any truth to this?

ETA: Nevermind, I found it: Dragon Ball Movie. Why must Hollywood insist on raping my childhood?

"Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined." - Johnny Carson

Last edited by Kit; 11-18-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I've all but given up on Torchwood not even Capt. Jack makes the show worth watching. Maybe by the time S2 comes around it'll be better if nothing else I'll try and watch the JM episode.
The first season got better as it went along. Have you seen it all yet, or are you watching it for the first time?

The second to last episode was the stand-out one of the series for me, also They Keep Killing Suzie is a quiet little gem as well.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
The first season got better as it went along. Have you seen it all yet, or are you watching it for the first time?
I stopped watching after the episode Greeks Baring Gifts, the way Owen and Gwen acted just turned me completly off both characters, not that I ever liked Gwen all that much to begin with, even Capt. Jack was a bit much to bare, although I still loved the character.

I think up until that point the only episode I really liked was Small Worlds which I thought was quite interesting, even if Gwen's unreasonable jealous (as I saw it) and need to just know everything about Capt Jack was quite the turn off. Also the episode confused me quite a bit, because they made it seem like Capt. Jack was just hanging around Earth for years, that he's some kind of immortal but from what I saw on Dr. Who that's not the case.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

That was a TRULY dodgy ep (Greeks Baring Gifts). The one after was the one I mentioned They Keep Killing Suzie. It was one of the better ones.

Hmm... I'm a tad confused about the timeline myself, but here's what I know. I'm putting it in spoiler font, because I'm not sure of the exact seasons that my info comes from...

The character arrives on Earth during WW2 with two years worth of memories missing, where he takes on the name of a deceased solder - Captain Jack Harkness. He runs around with the Doctor for a bit and ends up on the station, killed by a Dalek.

Rose unknowingly (?) ressurects him and somehow - I believe with his wrist-device - he ends up back on Earth pre 1900s, accidentally breaking his time-hopping wrist device.

He bides his time, waiting to somehow run into the doctor again - and during the Christmas Invasion - he gets hold of The Doctor's hand.

Torchwood happens and in the second to last episode, Jack gets sucked back to WW2 with Toshiko where he runs into the real Captain Jack Harkness - the night before he heads off to his death.

So, the stuff in Small Worlds with the fairies, all happened AFTER Rose accidentally made him immortal. Or rather very long-lived if you've heard what was said in the DW Season 3 finale...

Anyway, I strongly recommend starting to watch it again. From what I remember the next two 'Random Shoes' and 'Out of Time' are very good. Episode 11 'Combat' is a tad dodgy (You dont need to look much further than Angel Season 1's 'The Ring' to find the concept), but Episode 12 'Captain Jack Harkness' is a beautiful episode and leads up really well to the fairly epic 'End of Days'

Not sure of when the airdates of these in America are though...

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie

Last edited by Bert; 11-18-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Toshiko, Hoshi... always get them two mixed up!
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
So, the stuff in Small Worlds with the fairies, all happened AFTER Rose accidentally made him immortal. Or rather very long-lived if you've heard what was said in the DW Season 3 finale...
Ok so that does help. I thought that Capt. Jack returned to modern time after Rose resurrected him, I didn't realize that he actually has been alive that long.

Quote:
Anyway, I strongly recommend starting to watch it again. From what I remember the next two 'Random Shoes' and 'Out of Time' are very good. Episode 11 'Combat' is a tad dodgy (You dont need to look much further than Angel Season 1's 'The Ring' to find the concept), but Episode 12 'Captain Jack Harkness' is a beautiful episode and leads up really well to the fairly epic 'End of Days'
I'll give it another shot, I still have the DVR set to record I just usually erase without watching. I think "Combat" aired last night, it's still on my DVR, I'll probably just skip it since its "a tad dodgy" and go for the final episodes.

Just to bring this thread back on topic, is JB really that tall? I always though JM was around DB's height, 6'0, he looks like a midget compared to JB.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
d go for the final episodes.

Just to bring this thread back on topic, is JB really that tall? I always though JM was around DB's height, 6'0, he looks like a midget compared to JB.
Barrowman is six feet even, Marsters is 5'9 1/2 " .

Thing I'm wondering is what accent Marsters is going to use...Faux English accent on an English show is a bit ballsy...

And is Marsters another Time Agent or something? He looks a bit foppish in the coat...
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 AM   #12
wereleopard

i love torchwood and the last two episodes are great and you have to remember that Jack was a time agent, and obviously the tardis travels in time. So things do not have to follow as you go back in time at a later date etc etc etc it always gives me a headache

Well i don't know how to do a spoiler thing so i am going to say something random about dr who. It was a shock to find out what Jack becomes and how what happened changes his reaction to the group now.

If people want to know what i mean send me a pm, cause if you don't watch doctor who the start of torchwood will confuse you, i am guessing LOL or it should.

Lea
Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

spoiler tag = [*spoiler]CB is a ladies man [*/spoiler] without the *

And I do know that Capt. Jack was a time agent but it's never been implied that he spent a serious amount of time in the past (as a time agent).
Old 11-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #14
wereleopard

Thanks appreciate that LOL, it is good to know

But also there are the 2 missing years in his memory which shouldn't be a spoiler cause it was from doctor who season one. So who knows what happened in that time.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #15
starlet2367
glitterati

I didn't much like the first few eps - the characters seemed to be stuck in adolescence. But as it's gone on, I've really started to enjoy it. The first ep that made me go "oh, my God" was "Countrycide" if only because it scared the crap out of me. The film technique reminded me of my beloved Wire in the Blood, with the cold, gray countryside and the horrible killers.

As for Gwen, she's hardly a hero, but I'm not sure she's supposed to be. More an Everywoman, maybe?
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote