Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 02-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #76
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Another thing I liked about Cordy in "The Ring" was that she was pretty quick on her feet. She came up with the plan and then conned that couple into giving up their tickets so she and Wes could get into the fight. We saw a bit of that in S&S when she sort of took control after Angel had the whammy put on him.

OK so I get "Eternity" unless someone else posts on the sly.

As far as Cordy goes I like how the beginning and end is sort of juxtaposed as far as Cordy's acting ability goes. We know that when she's trying to be something or someone else she's horrible but when it's about something important, Angel, life and death, the mission she's extremely talented.

The Wes/Cordy scene where they're talking about Angel and his interest in Rebecca always killed me b/c I couldn't understand why he'd be interested in her when Cordy was right under his nose.

I like that Cordy goes not only overly protective of Angel's soul and outwardly aggressive towards Rebecca when they confront her in the office. But how she checked up on Angel when he slept at Rebecca's house. Her attention to Angel's moods and her concern over Angelus earlier in the ep made the act at the end so much more believable.

Cordy at the end forgiving Angel for lying to her about her acting as well as overlooking Angelus' comments went to show how she had grown up. Younger Cordy wouldn't have been so quick to forgive or understand. Still I liked how she was able to keep that sense of payback while still being the adult. Love that she and Wes forgave Angel but didn't let him off the hook.

Oh and CC is about the only person I know that can look that damn good in red leather pants.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #77
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

And on to Five By Five... Where Faith comes back and Cordelia has a visions about someone who she feels is a no-hoper "That guy’s never going to do it, what a waste of a good vision... I knew it when you brought him in last night, someone with that much body art is going to have a different definition of civic duty."

Nothing much really happened with Cordy this episode, althought she did get knocked out by Faith.

ANGEL: Giles said she left Sunnydale about a week ago. Described her mental state as borderline psychotic.

CORDELIA: That explains her outfit.

I hate to say it to any fans out there, but she effective killed off the Cordy/Wesley ship when she said "Angel, it’s not Wesley’s fault that ‘Some British Guy’ ruined your – Oh wait. That was [Wesley] Go on." This shows she sees Wesley her friend as someone completely different from Wesley the Watcher Guy she fancied.

She shows her usual understanding of Human behaviour:

CORDELIA: She charm her way out?

WESLEY: No, apparently, she managed to break a policeman’s jaw with his own handcuffs before she disappeared into the night.

CORDELIA: For Faith, that is charm.

After getting knocked out she didnt really dp anything apart from tell Angel where to find Faith.

I'll so Sanctuary as well since her part is so short. I'll just give you her entire one scene for the episode since every line was a classic and the acting perfect:

(CORDELIA stands up and looks around. She has a black eye. She goes over to a filing cabinet and looks in it, just as WESLEY enters. He looks at her face. )

WESLEY: Bitch. (CORDELIA frowns.) Not you, obviously. I can’t tell you how sorry I am that I allowed this to happen.

CORDELIA: Well, I believe it was Faith who allowed her elbow to collide with my face.

WESLEY: At least you only got the elbow.

CORDELIA: Well, if it’s any consolation, it really does look like you were tortured by a much larger woman.

WESLEY: She’s still here, I assume.

CORDELIA: He gave her his bed. (ANGEL enters.)

ANGEL: Wesley, I didn’t expect to see you in today. How are you feeling?

WESLEY: As well as can be expected.

ANGEL: Good. Donuts? (CORDELIA points to a box on the side.)

WESLEY: Developed a sweet fang, have you?

ANGEL: Did you get jelly?

CORDELIA: Whole selection.

WESLEY: Won’t she find it difficult enjoying delicious jelly filled donuts, if she is, one assumes, bound and gagged?

ANGEL: Wesley, we went through all of this last night.

WESLEY: Yes, you were right. The police would be ill equipped to hold a Slayer against her will. I understand why you chose not to turn her over to them. I do not, however, understand why the woman who brutally tortured me last night, this morning gets pastries.

ANGEL: I don’t really have anything else downstairs. What do you want to do Wesley? Let her starve?

WESLEY: Certainly not. There are far more humane ways to deal with a rabid animal.

ANGEL: She’s not an animal.

WESLEY: No?

ANGEL: She’s a person, and in case you’ve forgotten, we’re not in the business of giving up on people.

WESLEY: Don’t you dare take the moral high ground with me after what she did. I believe in helping people, I do not believe in coddling murderers.

ANGEL: It wasn’t too long ago that you were the one making the case for her rehabilitation.

WESLEY: It wasn’t too long ago that I had full feeling in my right arm.

ANGEL: She wants to change.

WESLEY: There’s evil in that girl, Angel. It doesn’t matter what she wants or says she wants, you set her free, she’ll kill again. (He walks out. ANGEL turns to CORDELIA who is sat at the desk filling out some checks in a large chequebook.)

ANGEL: He’ll come around.

CORDELIA: Wesley? Sure. People always get a little funny right after they’ve been sadistically tortured. Oh, you’d know. I need you to sign these. (He signs one of the cheques.)

ANGEL: You understand why we have to help Faith, don’t you?

CORDELIA: Totally. And here.

ANGEL: We can’t just arbitrarily decide whose souls we’re saving and whose isn’t.

CORDELIA: Oh no, and this one. (He signs.) Thanks. She takes the cheques.

ANGEL: Wait, those were all made out to you.

CORDELIA: Yeah. (She starts putting on her jacket as ANGEL looks at the stubs.)

ANGEL: Paid vacation?

CORDELIA: Like I’m going to stick around here while psycho case is roaming loose downstairs with medieval weaponry. Not. Oh, and I’m thinking, sugar high, maybe not a great idea. (She leaves) Gotta love it.

Also Angel beat up Buffy, it IS the end of B/A Ignore all subsequent Buffy episodes that imply the contrary.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:12 PM   #78
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

So, no one wants to do War Zone? Well, fair enough, wasn't really about her... Let's see this wasn't her finest moment, i mean she seriously considered prostituting herself to David Nabbit, but she learned a lesson that counts towards her big change at the end of the season and she sums it up in her last line...

"I don’t know, I could probably learn to love him, looks aren’t everything, or chemistry. Personality, that’s important. And except for a lot of other – It’s not what’s on the outside that – Yeah. Never mind. I’m fine here. Poor. Alone."

Also special mention goes to Charisma's delivery of what she was imagining in the stinky alley. She's seeing a beach and smelling salty air, Wesley turns around to her and says, 'i dont think that's salt' and Cordy snaps back

"I dont think it's air either."

Old 02-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #79
Platypus
The Pointy End

Blind Date

As much as I'd love to do TSILA, I'll leave that to someone else.

So, what to say about "Blind Date"? Not much Cordy in it - she figures out who the blind woman is before anyone else ("Our first stop doesn't always have to be world of the weird, you know? Sometimes actual human people can be just - awful.") and she decrypts some encrypted files with Willow's help. Yep, that's pretty much it. I guess it's worth noting that Cordy is firmly entrenched in the role of "resource" person for the team - and that, unlike Wes and Angel, she's savvy enough to rely on more than ancient scrolls to do the detective work. They'd be lost without her.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #80
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Well, i've taken to posting one a day and since I DID DO I will Remember You, i'm taking 'To Shanshu In LA'

We have Cordy wanting to find out if theres "torrid romance in my future, massive wealth. If I have too, I’ll settle for enviable fame." Then when Wesley replies it's an ancient scroll and gets all snarky with her, Cordy laments that no one gets her humour. Angel replies that he does and a thousand non-Cordy fans across the world realise that Cordy has actually been very misunderstood for the past four years, rewind to Buffy season 1 and fall in love with Cordy. More C/A ers are born

We see Cordy and Wesley discussing Angel and how he doesnt really want anything in life. They have a classic scene discussing it in thier offices in which Cordy is trying to eat a donut and Wesley keeps taking it from her.

WESLEY: What connects us to life?

CORDELIA: Right now, I’m going with donuts

When Cordy keeps offering stuff, Angel actually smiles, and seeing it here, we realise we haven't seen a lot of this over the years. Even More C/A er's are born.

"How would you like a puppy?" And everyone remembers the line from Buffy's season 2 about Angel nailing a puppy to a door. Angel stares at her and she offers him an ant farm. Great.

Then Cordy goes shopping, looking extremely beautiful, and buys Angel some art stuff. She's picked him the perfect hobby, if only him was Angelus. We only ever see him draw when he's evil (BTVS Passion ) or going dark (All the pictures of Darla he draws in season 2). For the first time Charisma gets a chance to really demonstrate her acting skills, not only in the crazed thrashing of when she's in her vision, but also when Angel is by her bedside in the hospital and she grips his hand and a single tear rolls down her cheek.

And if you still haven't been convinced that Cordelia is one of the best characters in television history and Charisma is the best actress in pure history ever, then they give us the second to the last scene of the season where Angel, Wesley and Cordy are in Cordy's apartment and Cordy has changed considerably, feeding Wesley and Angel (we're family) and she explains why.

"I know what’s out there now. We have a lot of evil to fight, a lot of people to help." Of course she hasnt changed completely "I just hope skin and bones here can figure out what those lawyers raised sometime before that prophecy kicks in and you croak. That was the old me wasn’t it?"

And we leave Cordy for the season with a classic line.

"Typical. I hook up with the only person in history who ever came to LA to get older."

Old 03-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #81
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

I've been away. Not really. But I would have done "Blind Date." Sorry.

Judgement. Whatever else is there, there's this:

"It's going to be a long while 'til you work your way out. But I know you well enough to know you will. And I'll be with you until you do."

And no matter what anyone says, it was forces other than Cordelia who broke that promise.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #82
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Hey, that's all right, you dont need to apologise, i just felt guilty for doing most of those last ones...

Ok, on to Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?

I didnt really like this episode, it seemed a bit preachy and there wasnt a lot for Cordy to do, but she had a few memorable moments, such as cinnamon in Angel's blood (What? I can’t try something?) settling questions long asked by fans (Yup, it’s not that Vampires don’t photograph, it’s just that they don’t photograph well.) And mishearing instructions from Angel (Cordelia: Excuse me? Wesley: Tentacles. Cordleia: Oh!)

Plus, you gotta love her 'always look on the bright side way of looking at things.

CORDELIA: We finished?

ANGEL: I think so.

CORDELIA: Good. Because I for one will be glad to see the last of this place. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

GUNN: No lie, plus it’s kind of got an odour to it. You notice that?

CORDELIA: Seventy years of violence, mayhem and paranoia – bad vibes.

ANGEL: We’re moving in.

CORDELIA: I mean, a few throw pillows, what’s not to love?

Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #83
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Well, I'll do First Impressions, since I know it's kind of a sore point with some here. Me, I don't get it. It's not as balanced a view of Cordy as is, say, "Untouched", but it's not terrible either. Well, that last bit at Gunn's truck before he drives off was terrible, but other than that, it was good. In this episode, Cordy exhibits some of the qualities she'd manifest in season three, like her willingness to get into the fight at more than a dry cleaning bill level. She's willing to let Gunn take the lead when he's in his element, but she makes it clear she isn't cowed by his attitude. And she's there for Gunn when he gets all wrapped up in blaming himself for Alonna's death. Which doesn't stop her from keeping her eye on the prize, even when the car thief is behind her. I still want to know how she knew who it was, but there's another unexplained mystery.

Plus, how cool was that bit when she throws the axe to Angel, who catches it in mid-jump and buries it into Deevak's head?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:39 PM   #84
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

And on to Untouced, which i really liked...

It was a good episode for Lilah and Cordelia and i could go into a huge list of reasons why i like it, but i'm a bit tired, so i'll just give you some of my favourite CordyQuotes.

You can’t fire me, I’m Vision Girl. (DONT TEMPT FATE!!!)

Well, then stop flexing your manly boob muscles or whatever. (Hehe, she said boob...)

Well, that narrows it down to people with friends. Where do we keep that list? (Snarky Cordy....)

Top of the middle of the day to you too. And no, no leads worth mentioning. Of course, we lost a little time during my forty-five minutes of sleep. Good thing I left some clothes here, or you’d be smelling me even now. (There's sharing and then there's SHARING...)

There’s something, she’s got a vibe, I’m getting a vibe, she’s vibe-y. (Nice and specific, then...)

There’s not enough yuck in the world. (True..)

You can’t fire Wesley! I’ll quit too! Unless you’re firm? (Loyalty... like it.)

Angel. He’s strictly a no-bone. (To the point...)

Bethany! You can squash those guys! (Good plan!)

Oh... that's about it... do you know what? I love Cordy...

Old 03-04-2004, 11:56 AM   #85
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

No one wants Dear Boy? Not to worry, Platy, we'll save "Birthday" for you.

I get why though; there's not a lot to work with her. Yeah, the thing about the dress saying, 'Pet me, I'm a whore' was funny, as was, "Personal bubble! Personal bubble!", but there's not much else.

Cordy's attempt to bring in business and pay some bills was soundly slapped down, but for my money, that aspect should have been promoted. I'd have found it more believable that Angel would wake up one day to find that Angel Investigations had grown into some huge corporation, straying from the original and simple 'help the helpless' mission in the process, than I do that he'd have put himself in a position to work for the Senior Partners.

This was also the first inkling of what was to become of C/W/G for the rest of the BeigeAngel arc: a three-headed organism with identical reactions and responses to the events. ISTM the story would have been better than it was if they'd been allowed to have their own feelings rather than what (little) we got of them in their own herd mentality.

But this isn't a rant thread, so which Wesley-o-phile wants "Guise Will Be Guise"?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #86
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

I'll do it simply because there's more Cordy in this episode than there is Angel and that doesnt happen very often this year.

First things first, You gotta love the whole Cordy lawyer thing. That disguise was the thing that avatars are made of ( @ LaLa)

The brilliant thing about this was that Cordy found out what Angel was up to all by herself and already had a plan on how to get into Wolfram & Hart. Gotta love her.

Also gotta love her spinning in the chair and going 'Look at me! I'm Angel!'

Then she does a more accurate impression "Oh no, I can’t do anything fun tonight, I have to count my past sins, then alphabetise them, oh by the way, I’m thinking of snapping on Friday."

Then she summed up what I thought about Angel when i first saw him... "Pretty much a girly name"

Her next big thing was looking for Benny the Thug on police files and mugshots... (Go Cordy! You've been ringing Willow again!) Anyway, she gives up on this and starts reading her little gossip magazine... and then she spots him. I like to think of this as her subconscious thinking "I know who he is! Page 46! Go! Turn to the celeb photos" It's not that she's got a short attention span. OK?

"You got everybody scared around here. I’ll tell you that. It’s like they don’t even know you’re a chimp." Being nice to Wesley... hehe

And then when Benny the Thug finds her she turns into Troy McCLure from the Simpsons... "And I remember you from the armed abduction"

"One day as Angel – one day! – and he’s getting some." Which is odd cos a hundred years as Angel and Angel only got some once...

Anyway we leave Cordelia this episode with Cordelia getting pissed with Wesley over his reflected glory "Damned skippy! He’s getting famous off this! Reflected glory, that’s my thing!"

Anyway, an Ok episode for Cordy, i suppose, certainly one of her best for the next few eps... And she had some good lines, although this is the time when her hair was starting to go wonky...

Old 03-04-2004, 10:59 PM   #87
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

Let me try one. I don't know if it will be up to snuff, but here's a go.

Darla

When Angel's sketching Darla over and over, his art supplies were probably the same ones given to him by Cordy. [Not on-screen Cordy, but it's something.]

Some funny bits of dialogue:

Cordy: Different in a "sitting right on top of you" sense? Yah?!
Wesley: Cordelia has a point.
Cordy:Finally!
Wesley: The last time Darla emerged, she wanted to be found. Now, she's out there among 6 million other people.
Cordy:She could be sitting on top of anybody.

Also:

Unless there is a website called "www.ohbythewaywehaveDarlastashed here.com", we're pretty much out of luck.

When Darla wrongly calls Angel "Angelus", Cordy corrects her. The real Cordy knows what's going on with Angel.

Sorry, I know you're concussion gal and all but around here it's Angel, just Angel.

So other than that, not too much Cordy in this episode, not that we expected it. Still, she does get to be witty and know in some way what's happening with Angel.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #88
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Hey, it's not like we're experts at it, i just go through the ep and pull out quotes from Cordy... Anyway, that was cool, considering there wasn't much to work with.

By the way www.ohbythewaywehavedarlastashedhere.com is actually a Darla-centric website... funny...

Anyway, on with the eps And i've landed on The Shroud of Rahmon.

Ok tonight on When Haircuts Go Bad... Ok, it wasn't that bad and every time i see it, I like it more, but it is a shock the first time to everyone including Wesley "What happened to your head?"

Anyway, thier little exchange echoes back to the old days of Cordy, Doyle and Angel. Cordy had her hair down ten days previously and Wesley didnt notice. You know that if Doyle had been there he would have noticed in a shot...

Anyway, Cordy goes off to a premier with Wesley and comes back covered in sauce (I've just noticed i've been using the word anyway too much). Gotta love her changing under the desk and glaring at Wesley, emphasing each syllable. "Chow. Yun. Fat"

"Meeting evil face to face, kicking evil’s booty." Charisma's delivery of this line had me in stitches, it has to be seen to be appreciated.

If everyone listened to Cordelia - People, you’ve got to leave your tombs earthed. - Then perhaps things would run more smoothly. I can think of at least one occasion where things would have been better, namely "Inca Mummy Girl"

Cordelia is still commenting on fashion "I’m not big on Shrouds, they’re an after you die outfit." And in fact, not just fashion, but the world at large "This has nothing to do with purity, this is all about dominance, buddy. You can bet if someone ordered a male body part for religious sacrifice, the world would be atheist, like that. "

Anyway - there it is again - Cordy and Wesley head off to save Angel from the badness of the shroud and they both go a little silly, especilly Cordy who is distracted by her teeth "My teeth are so big" Her own good naturedness "I am pleasant" And she interacts with the locals, although some of them are probably missing thier jewelery. "Oh! Hello, plastic person! You’re all by your lonesome in here. So… I guess you won’t be needing this." She takes a necklace.

And of course... she keeps it.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:05 AM   #89
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ok, i'm going to do 'The Trial' as i'm going on holiday this afternoon and so won't be posting for a week...
Mmm... she didnt get much to do this week, did she? She had a few snarky lines...

CORDELIA: You’re planning on sleeping over?

DARLA: I’m dying.

CORDELIA: So, just the one night then.

She always was sympathetic...

"Yes, but you were just soulless bloodsucking demons, they’re lawyers."

ANGEL: You’re not a prisoner.

DARLA: I’ve been hearing that a lot lately.

ANGEL: Just give me a chance, ok? (Angel leaves)

CORDELIA: So, first up, you’re a prisoner.

And that was it. Three measly scenes... Oh, well, im gonna sunbathe for a week... be back soon. And don't do ALL of season three without me? ok...

Old 03-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #90
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus
Earshot

A pretty good episode, although it follows the trend of late Season 3 episodes in being fairly Cordy-lite.
Weren't David and Charisma filming AtS episodes, or at least the pilot, during BtVS S3 and that's why they weren't around as much (though he was around more than she was)? I thought that's what I heard.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-06-2004 at 02:23 PM.
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote