Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 04-01-2004, 07:02 AM   #151
Platypus
The Pointy End

Keep up the good work Bert and Rouse!!! Only a few eps to go, and then we're done! I can't bring myself to really post about anything after mid-Season 3. The arrival of Teen!Connor! put my teeth on edge, and of course, Season 4 killed whatever I once felt for the show , so I'm not looking to relive any of those memories. But since our countdown was never supposed to last beyond "Spin the Bottle", you really are quite close to the end.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #152
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Hmm, i've been thinking about that, maybe we should do the rest of season 4, up until she gets coma'd. But instead of Cordy highlights we can do the Charisma highlights... It'd be nice if we paid respect to Charisma for acting her arse off through those horrible eps....

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #153
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Well, I'll do First Impressions, since I know it's kind of a sore point with some here. Me, I don't get it. It's not as balanced a view of Cordy as is, say, "Untouched", but it's not terrible either. Well, that last bit at Gunn's truck before he drives off was terrible, but other than that, it was good. In this episode, Cordy exhibits some of the qualities she'd manifest in season three, like her willingness to get into the fight at more than a dry cleaning bill level. She's willing to let Gunn take the lead when he's in his element, but she makes it clear she isn't cowed by his attitude. And she's there for Gunn when he gets all wrapped up in blaming himself for Alonna's death. Which doesn't stop her from keeping her eye on the prize, even when the car thief is behind her. I still want to know how she knew who it was, but there's another unexplained mystery.

Plus, how cool was that bit when she throws the axe to Angel, who catches it in mid-jump and buries it into Deevak's head?
I think my main problem with FI is that it was so intended to be a spring board for a C/G romance. It was just so corny and cliched, the angry black guy from the hood and the rich naive white girl from the suburbs. And in that vain, this ep gets a thumbs down from me still. I thought Cordy's characterization was all over the place, too. One minute, she's cool take charge Cordy, then she's white girl out of place and uncomfortable in the ghetto she accidentally insults Gunn and his "friend" Cordy. Considering that she lived in a slum (presumably in a bad part of town) when she first arrived in LA for a few months at least, you'd think she'd have more sense than that. But again, it goes back to the C/G potential hook-up. They needed there to be conflict.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:50 AM   #154
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousedower
It was just so corny and cliched, the angry black guy from the hood and the rich naive white girl from the suburbs.
But the point was that they weren't what they seemed, and they both figure that out about each other. "First Impressions" was kind of playing on words, y'know?

Now I am backing out so the ep highlights can continue...
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #155
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Keep up the good work Bert and Rouse!!! Only a few eps to go, and then we're done! I can't bring myself to really post about anything after mid-Season 3. The arrival of Teen!Connor! put my teeth on edge, and of course, Season 4 killed whatever I once felt for the show , so I'm not looking to relive any of those memories. But since our countdown was never supposed to last beyond "Spin the Bottle", you really are quite close to the end.
I know how you feel, I pretty much stopped watching after STB anyway.

Bert, if you want to continue on after STB then I'm okay with it but I won't be contributing anymore. I can see why Platy wants STB to be the cut off though. After that, it's not Cordelia. It may be Charisma, but it's not Cordy and this is supposed to be the Cordy highlights. What she does in ROF and beyond is more like a lowlight.
Maybe after STB we go straight to "You're Welcome"?
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
Old 04-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #156
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa247
But the point was that they weren't what they seemed, and they both figure that out about each other. "First Impressions" was kind of playing on words, y'know?
Which is another reason why I thought it was corny and cliched. It was like an afterschool special, a very special 'Angel'.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 04-01-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 PM   #157
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Yeah... go straight to You're Welcome, but in between, i'm going to do one post showing Charisma's best moments from the rest of season 4, i think it's probably the best way. I mean I know it's not Cordy, but it is Charisma and she had to film those crappy episodes, i want to give her some recognition for it...

Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #158
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousedower
II can see why Platy wants STB to be the cut off though. After that, it's not Cordelia. It may be Charisma, but it's not Cordy and this is supposed to be the Cordy highlights.
To each their own, but I don't consider AmnesiaCordy really Cordy either. Cordy never would have made the decisions AC made, or done the things AC did, so it may as well have been a completely different character.

Quote:
Maybe after STB we go straight to "You're Welcome"?
But that wasn't RealCor... Eh, never mind.

And I gotta agree with Platy about "First Impressions." Even if it was supposed to be the start of a romance, it didn't end up that way, so all that's left is a story about two people who had prejudged each other learning something new. Fairly harmless in my eyes.

As much as I'd like to do Tomorrow, all I can think is how could one tiny little episode be the start of the worst season of television and the catalyst for the most complete and unaddressed character deconstruction in, like, ever. It's up to someone else.

Last edited by SamIAm; 04-01-2004 at 12:11 PM.
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:15 PM   #159
writingpathways
Rachel Elisabeth

Location: Real Life Locale: Somewhere in Connecticut. The truth: In my head. It's both scary and quite lovely there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah... go straight to You're Welcome, but in between, i'm going to do one post showing Charisma's best moments from the rest of season 4, i think it's probably the best way. I mean I know it's not Cordy, but it is Charisma and she had to film those crappy episodes, i want to give her some recognition for it...

Great Idea Bert, go for it!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:21 PM   #160
rousedower
cancelled

Quote:
To each their own, but I don't consider AmnesiaCordy really Cordy either.

That's true, but I'll take A!C over E!C.

For the record, I don't think FI is the worst ep ever. At the time I did, but since then there have been many worse eps.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 04-01-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:34 PM   #161
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Tomorrow It was so promising and yet such a waste in hindsight, but that's a post for a different thread. We're looking at the gorgeousness of the episode on it's own for this thread. And to be fair. It was damn good.

Our first bit of goodness is when Groo presents Cordy with a drink called Mockna. A sort of muddy drink that has sour cress and creeping fig in it. Of course there's no Plockweed so it's not real Mockna, to which Cordy replies.

"So it's mock Mockna?" Such a simple line, not laugh out loud, but very Cordy...

In fact the rest of their exchange is quite amusing and Charisma's acting is spot on...

Cordy: Well, that's, ah... I mean, I can feel the tension draining already. And a little sediment going down the wrong... (Coughs a little then smiles at him Hmm, tasty.
Groo: And might I further relieve you by at first gently then more rapidly rubbing your Schlug-Tee?"
Cordy: Ah, I don't really... uhm. Maybe later at home.I don't feel comfortable doing *it* in the office, Groo.
Groo: Doing 'it?'
Cordy: Sex.
Groo: Oh, you wish to have sex?
Cordy: What? No! Shh!
Groo: I was proposing a massage of your Schlug-Tee, your tense neck muscle, but - it is always an honor to make sex with you. Later,at home. I understand perfectly.

Oh, wow, this bit was old Cordy shining through...
Angel: [A Vampire] Who drinks blood, keeps to the shadows, and is older than everybody he knows put together.
Cordy: You're all those things, plus tight with a buck.

Angel: You really...
Cordy: Aren't I?

I'm having trouble putting a review to this episode, and i realise it's because there's so much pressure to do this one well. While she's there in season 4 at least the beginning part, she's not quite Cordy... so, i think i'm going to just give quotes and occasional comments. This episode is full of C/A goodness and different bits mean different things to different people, i wouldnt like to ruin that. However, i will give my opinion if i have one...

Cordy: Well, what about rebuilding your club here?
Lorne: That's a great idea, pixie-cat. Except every time I do, you all seem to destroy it.
Cordy: It was only - three times

Cordy: I'm not telling your sixteen year old boy that.
Angel: Well, someone has to make sure he knows the facts of life. My track record with the whole man/woman thing isn't, you know... I don't wanna use the words 'tragic farce' but...
Cordy: Why not? You're still telling him.
Angel: You could help fill in the blanks. He's gonna have questions. Like, what do you do with a woman's Schlug-Tee again?
Cordy: You and your vampire hearing! Next time you eavesdrop I'm gonna...
Takes a hold of his ear and whispers into it as the other watch.
Angel: Easy there, sailor! You use that kind of language at home?

*grin* They're flirting...

Cordy: Hi, honey. It's me! And I got your favorites: Tuna and ice cream. How about tonight you try *not* mixing it together?

Angel: Songs for the love - Lorne. Oh, I get it. Lovelorn, because your name is Lorne.
Lorne: Yeah, my publicist's idea. Her name is mud now but the tunes are good. And, ah, and that's not my real gift. This is: it's mutual. The way you feel about Cordelia is pretty much *exactly* how she feels about you.
Cordy: I love Angel? What are you talking about? I - love... you know... us.
Lorne: You two are so obviously connected.
Groo: You finish each others...
Lorne: ...sentences. You laugh at the same...
Groo: ...jests. When he grieves, when he is hurting...
Lorne: ...her heart breaks for you.
Groo: In my heart I have known the truth for some time. I've just been - struggling - to find the courage to do what is right.
Lorne: Bubela, all I'm saying is: stay open. Connor's back. Your whole life is coming together. Sometimes things do work out. I got to skiddoo.
Angel: Take good care of yourself - and keep in touch.
Lorne: I'll drop you a line. Let you know where to send the gift basket.
Cordy: I don't know what to say, Groo.
Groo: Tell me I'm wrong. - That I should stay. - That you love only me.
Cordy blinks away tears but stays silent.

The moment where they both realise. And I'm just thinking Groo and Lorne should get together!! Lol...

Cordy looks at a photograph of herself with Angel and Wes on either side.
Cordy: I don't feel... And even if I did, it's impossible.
Cordy's voice: It's ridiculous.
Cordy: That's right. It's... Woah!
In the window across from her is an apparition of herself, framed in white light.
Phantom Cordy: Maybe on some level I've always known it's true.
Cordy: I have? It is?
Phantom Cordy: I'm in love!
Cordy: I am? I am! - With Angel, right?
Phantom Cordy: With Angel!
Cordy: Just checking.
Phantom Cordy: I'm scared. But I know it's right. I know somehow it's all gonna be alright.
Cordy: It is? Really? Thanks for the tip.

Naughty powers, they shouldnt have put the i know it's gonna be alright bit in. It's a vision. Visions warn Cordy of danger, and this time it was warning her of Skip and the ascension. I have a feeling the vision was sent out, but then edited and hacked to pieces by Jasmine...

Back to the quotes...

Slow poke! I'm late. I'm late. And it's not a date!

Then she checks her breath is ok...

Cordy: We're just gonna talk like two grown-up adults. I have some feelings. You may have some feelings. He may not even know I'm insane until he hears my feelings.
Suddenly Cordy begins to glow from the inside.
Cordy: Oh, no! No, no, no! Not now!

Skip: Don't be (Cordy jumps and gasps) frightened.
Cordy: It's a little late for that!
Skip: Sorry. You remember me? I'm...
Cordy: Yeah. Skip. You tend to remember your demon guides. What is going on?
Skip: I think you know.
Cordy: I'm dying?
Skip: No. No, you're not - dying.
Cordy: Not dying?
Skip: No.
Cordy punches him: Say that part first!
Skip: Sorry. It's not the end. It's the beginning. You're a great warrior, Cordelia. The battle that we're all a part of is fought on many different planes and dimensions. You've outgrown this one. You've become - a higher being.
Cordy: Me?
Skip: You. You took on the visions, and even when you could have traded them in for a happy, normal life, even when they were killing you, you wouldn't let them go. The big test came when the Powers made you part demon. They bet the farm on you. Power corrupts. And they gave you a lot of power.
Cordy: The glowy thing.
Skip: Which you used well - to fight evil, and heal Connor.
Cordy: And only that one time as a night light. - Bad dreams. - Skip, I don't understand.
Skip: I think you do.
Cordy: It's ridiculous. - I'm just a somewhat normal girl - who - has visions, glows, and occasionally blows things up with her crazy new power. I'm a higher being?
Skip: Yes
Cordy: And when you say I've - outgrown this level, that sort of implies...
Skip: You're moving on to a new one.
Cordy: Now I'm really scared.
Skip: I know. But I also know you're ready.
Cordy: Oh, no, I'm not.
Skip: Ah, the universe begs to differ. And deep down inside, I think...
Cordy: Yes! All right? Stop saying I know! - Maybe I do know. *Maybe.* If given enough time, I might even get *used* to the idea, but - I don't have enough time, do I?

Cordy: No, of course not. Why would the Powers give me time to have the most important conversation of my life? I'm on my way to... (Skip just looks at her) I'm in love! With Angel.
Skip: What you're being called to do - transcends love.
Cordy: How is that fair? I can't leave without telling him! I won't. - He has to know how I feel! Why does this have to be now?
Skip: There is work to be done in the higher realms.
Cordy: Can you at least tell Angel for me?
Skip: Sorry. Not allowed.
Cordy: Then I'm not going. - How can they possibly do this to me now? - This is the last test, isn't it?

Ok, this quote proves to everyone that Angel loved Cordy. Consider these two quotes.

Cordy: I'm in love! With Angel.

&

Lorne: The way you feel about Cordelia is pretty much *exactly* how she feels about you.

Back to the quotes...

Skip: Cordelia.
Cordy: I ever come face-to-face with those Powers That Be, we are going to have a talk, a big talk.
Skip: You're doing the right thing.
Cordy: I'm scared. - But I know it's right. I know somehow it's all gonna be alright. What do I do?
Skip: Just say yes.
Cordy: I already have.
Golden sparkles appear around Cordy as she starts to float up in a corridor of white light.

Just a talk? A big talk? I thought she was going to punch them on the nose? Do they have a nose?

Anyway, she's gone.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #162
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
And I gotta agree with Platy about "First Impressions."
I love it. I get agreed with even when it's not me.

Quote:
As much as I'd like to do Tomorrow, all I can think is how could one tiny little episode be the start of the worst season of television and the catalyst for the most complete and unaddressed character deconstruction in, like, ever. It's up to someone else.
I wouldn't touch Tomorrow with a 10 foot pole - it's up there just behind Apocalypse Ewwwwish! and Provider as one of the worst eps ever, IMO. But it would be nice if you could share the scene in the shooting script that never made it in, the one with Cordy choosing a wardrobe. I've always liked that piece of unfilmed history, but I can't remember where you first posted it.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #163
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
I love it. I get agreed with even when it's not me.
Curse this new forum design! Curse it, I say!

Let me amend:

And I gotta agree with La about "First Impressions."

Quote:
But it would be nice if you could share the scene in the shooting script that never made it in, the one with Cordy choosing a wardrobe. I've always liked that piece of unfilmed history, but I can't remember where you first posted it.
I posted it here, but here it is again:

INT. CORDELIA'S APARTMENT - BEDROOM - NIGHT

Cor, in bra and panties, pulls sexy see-through blouse or hot
red dress from nearly empty closet, holds it right in front of her
in the mirror, nervous about her pending encounter with Angel.

CORDELIA
Angel, I just wanted you to know...
I have breasts.

She tosses it, grabs olive/army coat, holds it up.

CORDELIA
We will live together in chastity for
the rest of our lives.

She tosses it. It lands on the bed (where we see an enormous
pile of former clothing rejects) as do the following items:

CORDELIA
Which leaves us raincoat, muumuu and,
ahh, the macrame'd culottes... that
settles it, I'm goin' naked.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #164
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

See, it was their decision not to include this and the serious consequences of this scene that ruined the series in my opinion... If she had gone naked, she would have been up there naked and then come back naked. That's like 3 months of Cordy naked.

Pervert? Me? No... I'm just thinking about Cordy... it's very hot on the higher planes...

Old 04-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #165
samluvsharrison
...or someone's in fun

umm...why does Cordelia own a muumuu?
Charisma's Bitch #3.6|Shiny Happy Person #3.14159265|Fred Fanatic #Pi|Team Cordy™ #135
samluvsharrison is offline   Reply With Quote