Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Bryan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
If I recall correctly, WW really was meant to be some sort of wank material for men. Wasn't her creator a guy into bondage and D/s, who liked to be tied up by women.

I recall a lot of the early WW panels, Wonder Woman more or less adminstering spankings to men and women. It was way kinky, even for comics.

As for DEK's take on WW...I don't see it as any better than Joss' 'vision'. I would have liked to see a straight treatment of her. Diana Prince by day, WW by...other times. Kicking ass and not having a great sense of humor (this was the WW I remember). Not some weepy mess who is a mess about her private life and can barely run her company. It's way too Ally McBeal to me. And I wasn't nuts about that show either.
Blimey!!

http://uk.io9.com/5783838/10-ridicul...yline=true&s=i
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
If I recall correctly, WW really was meant to be some sort of wank material for men. Wasn't her creator a guy into bondage and D/s, who liked to be tied up by women.

I recall a lot of the early WW panels, Wonder Woman more or less adminstering spankings to men and women. It was way kinky, even for comics.

As for DEK's take on WW...I don't see it as any better than Joss' 'vision'. I would have liked to see a straight treatment of her. Diana Prince by day, WW by...other times. Kicking ass and not having a great sense of humor (this was the WW I remember). Not some weepy mess who is a mess about her private life and can barely run her company. It's way too Ally McBeal to me. And I wasn't nuts about that show either.
Here is a great article all about her origins.

http://www.comics101.com/archives/comics101/62.php

Mayer might not have known just how dedicated Marston was to the concept of the equality and supremacy of women. In the 1930s, Marston, a well-known psychologist of the time, as well as the creator of the polygraph lie detector test, had predicted that "the next one hundred years will see the beginning of an American matriarchy – a nation of Amazons in the psychological rather than physical sense. Women have twice the emotional development, the ability for love than man has. Today, realizing their love motive has no sustained force, nothing to feed on, women are diverting their energies into other channels. And as they develop as much ability for worldly success as they already have for love, they will clearly come to rule business and the nation."

Marston’s forward thinking extended into his personal life as well, as he lived in a committed polygamous relationship with two women, one his wife Elizabeth Holloway and the other a former student: none other than the aforementioned Olive Richard, author of the FAMILY CIRCLE piece that first got M.C. Gaines’ attention. Marston had two children with each woman, and the four children and three parents lived together happily. It should be noted that Olive, by the way, reportedly was a slim, athletic woman with black hair and blue eyes, who wore large Indian metal bracelets on her wrists for many years. Sounds a bit familiar, does it?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #18
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

The new costume doesn't look all that different from the one from the old show, not to mention the comics. (Depending on the time period.) Except for it being very shiny (although it might not look that way on film) and having blue pants, it's the "traditional" Wonder Woman outfit. So I'm not sure what all the hubbub is all about.

Also, when they were originally putting together the 70s TV show, they completely redesigned the costume. And Wonder Woman (played by a different actress...who was blond, by the way) wears it in the original pilot. Which aired and did okay in the ratings. But I figure they must've gotten their share of complaints from fans because, for the actual show, they went back to the "traditional" costume, and cast an actress who looked more like Wonder Woman in the comics.

Check it out.

Pre-Lynda Carter Wonder Woman

Now that's a radical costume re-design I can see fans making a fuss over.

Last edited by Dannyblue; 03-22-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Dannyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
DamnSkippy

Did that have anything to do with the TV series though? It was a TV movie. Was it considered a "pilot" and made by the same writers/producers as the series or completely different people?

Re the costume, I can see the logic in making it more demure. The Lynda Carter/comic costume was pretty dang risque for TV at that time.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #20
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
Did that have anything to do with the TV series though? It was a TV movie. Was it considered a "pilot" and made by the same writers/producers as the series or completely different people?
It was, indeed, a pilot. ABC ordered it specifically with the idea of making it into a TV show. Back in the day, the networks ordered pilots and aired them as TV movies so they could gauge whether or not their would be an interest. (Which isn't really how it happens now.) If such a pilot did really well in the ratings, there was a good chance it would become a series. And that was the case here.

The first pilot got good enough ratings but, like I said, the network must've taken some flack for all the changes. Which I guess told them that Wonder Woman had the potential to be a successful show, but would probably do better if it followed its origins more closely. So they ordered a second pilot, and told the writers to stick more closely to the comic books this time. They even did that comic book style opening, almost as if to say, "Sorry about before. But, this time, we're sticking closer to the comics. Honest." And they called the second pilot The New Original Wonder Woman to really drive it home.

The second pilot (with Lynda Carter) aired, was a ratings success, and a series was born.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #21
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

They changed the costume a bit. Red boots, less of a latex-fetish look. It's an improvement. Adrianne Palicki needs to work on her war face though.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I still think they should have gone with leather pants but it is an improvement
Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
fiddly

TBH I am more concerned with DEK writing it. He can have moments of greatness but I always feel he gets bored of his charcters way too easily and the audiences often suffer for it. He has a nasty habit of just dismissing major story archs or characters just because he feels like it. He also has a habit of shoving his storyline down peoples thoat instead of letting storylines play out naturally, he can do quirky and quick but story telling isn't his speciality.

Rant over
And, honestly? I'll be damned if Joss fucking Whedon breaks this board apart. We survived S4, we survived Charisma's firing, we're surviving the mess of S5. We're stronger than we think. Courteously donated by Lala247

Everything is going to be fine in the end, if it's not fine, it's not the end.
fiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #24
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

So that's a no on Wonder Woman then. Better luck next time. Ah, well, Adrianne Palicki deserves better anyway.