Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Special Presentations > Long Live The Queen: A Cordelia Chase Tribute

Old 03-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #106
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ps, thanks Aikakone... I try my best.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #107
rousedower
cancelled

I'm not into the beige arc either, but now it's over. So onto "Disharmony".

Here we have Angel trying to get back into everyone's good graces.

Cordy is the most upset at him. She doesn't want him as a friend, she doesn't even want him to touch her. Angel sticks up for Cordy with the guys, wants to send her flowers, trying to suck up to her a bit. Then Harmony shows up. Cordy and Harm get reaquainted, she tells her about how she likes her life, more than she ever has, it's not the one she planned or wanted but it's good. Harmony wants the same thing. Angel finds out Harm is a vampire. Cordy takes Harm's side, and IMO does so because she doesn't have Angel. It's almost like she was trying to fill that void that Angel left with Harmony. Maybe feeling a bit guilty for what happened with Angel by siding with Harmony, wanting to believe that she can be a good vampire and she can change. Angel and Wes are skeptical, but let Cordy have this. Angel being a vampire knows first hand what Harmony's capable of. "She will turn on you", and she does. Cordy almost kills Harmony (she should have) but can't do it and then realizes what Angel must've went through with Darla. Which might have been why she pretty much forgives him this ep. She also warns Harmony to "stay out of my City" (but apparently she didn't listen). Wes cautions Angel to take things slow with Cordy, she needs time. Angel agrees even though he hasn't because, surprise, he bought Cordy a new wardrobe (to make up for the clothes he gave away) which she just LOVES. Angel couldn't wait, he needed Cordy back NOW. Wes is a little annoyed that Angel didn't listen to him, and that he was kind of wrong. Angel and Cordy do a happy dance and that's the end.

This is just my take on the ep and Cordy's motives. I realize that opinions may differ.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-18-2004 at 02:00 PM.
rousedower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #108
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Ugh... Lindsay... I can't do it... Someone else do Dead End... Let me just say... Awww Cordy! I wanted to hug her... more than usual...

Old 03-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #109
rousedower
cancelled

Hm. "Dead End". Not a Lindsey fan either. But I'll give it a try. Hope no one minds me doing two eps in one day.

This is the first ep to really show how the visions are getting worse for Cordy. She is in pain, yet frustrated (and scared) that it hurts too much for her to get the vision right and for the guys to save the victim. She doesn't want the boys coddling her either. And in the end she admits that the visions are taking their toll, but she sucks it up because, "it goes with the job".

I wish the guys hadn't just accepted that, maybe then they would've figured out sooner that the visions were literally killing her. I wonder if she knew already by this time and that's why she was so determined to just let it go.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-19-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #110
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

But wait! Wasn't "Dead End" the episode we get Cordy telling Angel "I love you"? That's got to amount for something!

[The ending w/ the sign on L's truck gets me every time. Not that it has anything to do w/ Cordy.]
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #111
rousedower
cancelled

Anyone want to do "Belonging"? If not then I'll take it.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13
Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #112
Platypus
The Pointy End

Belonging. The last decent Cordy ep before she all but disappeared into a Timmah! caricature of herself.

I really liked this episode. We see Cordy finally confront certain realizations, first and foremost among them that being an actress isn't sunshine and puppies, and there's a lot of small "e" evil that you have to deal with along the way. We see Angel start to lose control of his feelings for her, reacting strongly both in anger (at seeing her demeaned and humiliated by the director... I'll leave it at that, though, and with a big sigh for the way life imitates...), and reacting impulsively and involuntarily to his subsconscious but increasingly evident attraction to Cordy.

Notice in the beginning scene, in the restaurant, that Cordy is once again stating that she can't abandon the mission because of the visions. She's not upset about it in public, and it fact it seems as though she just accepts it as fact. But later, after Angel leaves the commercial set, she mumbles to herself that she "hates her whole life". And I don't think it was just a reaction to the confrontation between Angel and the director - I think Cordy had been struggling to put a brave face on the situation with her friends, but was also starting to feel the pressure of her ever-debilitating situation.

Later, she finally comes to the realization that whatever it is she's looking for, she's not going to find it through an acting career.

I'll leave the rest of the Pylea arc alone, since I hated it, but I'll take anyone down if they try to do "That Vision Thing" before I can get to it.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:23 PM   #113
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

So... Over The Rainbow...

Considering the whole ep was all about her, she wasnt in it as much as the others.... Wierd.

Anyway...

Cordys in the woods in some extremely tight jeans and she gets attacked by a Hell-Hound. Except... he only licks her, cos he doesnt want to kill her. He just loves her... As all decent people do. But then she gets tied up by a man who I'm thinking could be Clem's great uncle and she gets sold into slavery to saggy-skinned Vakma (Clem's mum?) for one measly pig. Then she has to shovel demon horse poo while she gets zapped by Vakma (That woman has ears like a bat!) for complaining that she's rather be reading Marie Claire. Cordy, i love you, but I'D rather be shovelling demon horse poo...

Anyway then she meets Fred the Crazy and nothing much really happens to her in this conversation... she just gets babbled at my a Mad Texan. Then later Vakma takes Cordelia along to the market where Cordy throws all of Vakma's milk over the floor while she has a vision about a man being eaten by a Droccen near a big yellow rock - which is later identified as Dusters Rock. Get it? Dusters are yellow! Well, needless to say Cordy gets tested upon by a man who looks a lot like Vocah from TSILA (shoulda guessed the W&H connection there and then) who's instrument of choice is a red hot poker.

Then Cordy gets made princess just in time to welcome Angel and the others into her throne room.

Your next guide on this whistle-stop tour of Pylea will be...

Old 03-18-2004, 01:35 PM   #114
rousedower
cancelled

"Through the Looking Glass". A Minear joint.

This ep mostly focuses on Angel and Fred.

We get Princess Cordy, who's enjoying being a princess a little too much (although, this probably stems from the crap she had been going through back home). Completely forgets that she had been tortured with hot pokers, all because they gave her a crown at the end. She makes jokes about chopping the guys' heads off, won't let anyone else sit in her throne and it's amazing how they all just forget about her and how worried they were. Hm. Cordy finds out later that she is to mate with a demon to get rid of the visions. She is not happy about this, until... she sees how hot he is! Then she's all for it. Um, is that about it for her this ep? Oh, and she tries to steal some treasures too, right?

Another gem by Minear. Next?
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-20-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:25 PM   #115
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

Quote:
Originally posted by Bert
he only licks her, cos he doesnt want to kill her. He just loves her... As all decent people do.
This is classic! Great bit of snark, Bert!
(I could be so inspired to put that in my siggy.)
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #116
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally posted by rousedower
Completely forgets that she had been tortured with hot pokers, all because they gave her a crown at the end.
Far be it from me to defend Minear's portrayal of Cordelia, but what she says later, "Yeah. And can I just say, visions? Not getting any easier. I mean, I'm still kind of vibrating, though that could be from the hot pokers" explains a lot to me. I mean, she can't tell the difference between the pain the visions cause and the pain red hot pokers caused. That tells me Cordelia was used to working through some serious pain. At least once the hot pokers were done, she got something out of it. The pain the visions caused got her a coma and then tossed aside like last week's garbage.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:07 AM   #117
rousedower
cancelled

Ah, forgive me. I only saw the ep once.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-19-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #118
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

He only licks her, cos he doesnt want to kill her. He just loves her... As all decent people do.

Ok, i just read that and didnt remember writing it or what I wrote it about and pissed myself. Taken out of context that's just... weird... Anyway feel free to put in a siggy if you want...

Anyways, There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb.

Wonder where Plrtz Glrb is?

Anyway, back to the point. Cordelia is astounding in this episode. In fact I'd have to say this is the most amazing episode of the series ever. We've heard Lorne boast before that he can hold a note forever but Cordy is the only person to do it for as long as that!

I listened to the Tim Minear commentary on 'Home' and he said that he was ridiculing the length of the credits at the beginning (Guest Starring... right to Directed by...) when the first act started by not having anyone speak until they had stopped. I have to wonder if that's what Greenwalt was aiming for with Cordy's scream...

Sorry? Story? Oh... Umm.. She does look good in this episode doesnt she? She also gets to spit on Lorne. (That's the second time in two episodes he's been spat on... Maybe it's his thing. Buffy dies, Cordy gets pregnant, Giles gets knocked out... Lorne gets spit on.) She contemplates turning Lorne's head into either a planter or a candy dish and then she takes it down to the mutilation chamber in a bucket. She's classy.

Well, she then holds him up by the hair, whacks him into the wall twice and gives him a close up view of Groo's arse, which Lorne enjoyed. (I'm sorry, but if he's not gay then I'm a duck.)(Actually, Off topic for a moment, but is Andy Hallett gay? Cos he played a gay guy in Amber Benson's Chance and he played Lorne who is like
Mr Gay. Just wondering).

We later get an amusing Cordy sidebar when she mentions touching Groo intimately was a mistake and that - Oh! The hugging... that's what he meant... Cordy's groping strange men. That's my girl.

Anyway, Cordy's big breakthrough this episode is refusing to let Groo take her visions. Some Cordy bashers would see it as her being selfish, keeping it because she wants to be the hero, saving people in trouble rather than letting Groo take them and save his own people. Others may say that she could feel out of place in the group without her visions, she would be left with nothing to contribute apart from being the secretary and how would she handle that? However my theory comes all the way from Rm W/A Vu in which she felt she was being punished for how she used to be and Angel told her she wasnt. Now, having the visions has made her realise this is her way of atoning for what she did. She owes this to the world.

Then she cuts off Silas head!!!! YAY!!!!!!! I think this is the first time we've seen her kill a bad guy all by herself. And she must have used some heft to lop his head clean off. Do any of you know how hard that is? No? Neither do i if anyone asks...

Then she declares her love for Groo before handing over the rule of the kingdom to him. She sets the land free and keeps the Tiara.

Oh and 'Should people be bowing in a free society?' To Cordelia? Always now stop whining Wesley and GET ON YOUR KNEES!!

My favourite Cordy quote of the episode comes right at the end.

Fred: Are-are you sure about that?
Cordy: Trust me. Tacos everywhere. And... soap.

Hehe.

Oh and Buffy died. Ho Hum....

Old 03-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #119
rousedower
cancelled

"Heartthrob". Two words. David Greenwalt.

Cor, Wes and Gunn have been keeping the business going while Angel's been away grieving over Buffy. He finally comes home, and he and Cordy are all smiles, they hug. She snoops for any gifts Angel has brought them, which he has. He gives her a necklace. We get yet another glimpse into how much the visions are affecting Cordy. After a particularly bad one, the guys leave her to go off on the case and she continues to lie on the floor sobbing. She won't let them see her cry. I'm assuming at this point, she knew that she was dying. She notices that Angel has been kind of off since he got back, she assumes it's because of Buffy (duh) and tries to get him to talk about it. He insists he's fine and doesn't want to. She lets it go and then begs Angel to tell her about Holtz (she takes an interest in his past). Then we have James, an old "friend" of Angel's who is after him for revenge. He goes after Angel and Cordy (I think this ep had some of the best C/A interaction), but they look out for each other. In the end, Angel kills James and finally opens up. He feels guilty for being able to move on from Buffy's death. Cordy assures him that he shouldn't feel guilty because he's not giving up on her he's honoring her by continuing to fight and live in his own way. She makes him feel better (as always) and they all head out on a case together.

And then we get the "shock" that would eventually lead to the downfall of the show, the C/A relationship and most importantly, the Cordy character.

Platy's next with TVT. Go girl.
Stake Darla #13
Greenie Groupie #13

Last edited by rousedower; 03-20-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:17 PM   #120
Platypus
The Pointy End

That Vision Thing. Sigh. Good times, good times.

First off, we finally get to see a serious examination of the toll that the visions are taking on Cordy. These aren't just headaches, folks - even before they took on physical manifestations in this ep, the visions were causing her excruciating pain. We found out earlier that she was hiding the emotional toll, and here we start to see her desperately trying to hide the physical toll of the visions. Cordy's a brave little toaster, make no mistake about it.

The depth of Angel's concern is evident right from the start - the manpire is finally starting to buy a clue, and FINALLY starting to see beyond Cordy's snark and distracting ways when it comes to her own pain.

We also, for the first time really since "Invisible Girl", see some of Cordy's insecurity come right to the surface when she's lying in bed and afraid to have Lorne cure her. She thinks the visions are the only reason she's of any use to Angel and the mission, and fears for what would happen if she didn't have them. "You wouldn't need me." Shame it wasn't followed up on, and shelved aside instead for Evil!Cordy!. Of course, we also get the funny with Angel comparing her to a car, but at least it was a nice car.

Lastly, the Eggo waffles scene. Perhaps not the best scene ever, but one of the best at encapsulating the C/A relationship and everything that made it great. Cordy tentatively trying to draw Angel into her world, even though he's "not a foodie". Angel fumbling for the words to make her understand that "she's important". Both of them silently struggling on the inside at the possible impact that their new feelings for each other will have - the fact that Angel is willing to do anything for HER (not for the mission, or the greater good, but to keep Cordy safe). Lovely scene. Lovely relationship.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote