Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

StrangerCon 2008: And We Really Mean It This Time

Update: Okay, since the big feel-good reunion is going on, let's seriously organize to make a proposal for a framework, or something. Galveston Island, Texas, in 2008. Read on and get in!

I've identified a couple of very promising real estate companies, notably The Castaways Group and Sand 'N Sea Properties, as well as some awesome potential beachfront and bayside rentals. With eight people sharing a house, we could do this for as little as $300 each for up to a week, including food -- and those are peak-season prices, which don't apply in October.

So riddle me this: Do you like swimming? Surfing? Biking? The beach? Do you prefer to shop, explore, or visit historic sites and museums? Or do you just wanna mix some margaritas on the sand? Are you ready to spend a weekend -- or even a week -- partying and adventuring with fellow Strangers in an honest-to-God pirate sanctuary?

Follow me to the next post....
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

And now to considering the details. (Informed consent!)

The island itself is only about three miles wide and 32 miles long. Getting around to see the sights won't be a big issue, but here's an online calendar if you'd like to think about coordination and see if any October special events catch your eye. At the very least, it will help us plan when to go.

As mentioned above, I've ID'ed some companies with some truly awesome beach and bayside properties. With the way they set their rates, it's usually as cheap to rent for an entire week at it is to do so for four days. If we can get a group to commit to a certain dollar amount each for a minimum of four days, then people could come and go more or less as they please, with a certain amount of coordination on airport runs.

Speaking of airports, there are two in Houston. (The island itself has Scholes, but it's mostly charter flights in and out of there. Which, you know, might work out if you have really nice friends who'll let you hitch a ride on their Gulfstream.) You can check airfares for both Hobby and Bush Intercontinental; Southwest has a hub at Hobby, and Continental has one at IAH.

I would mention only that Hobby is much closer to Galveston, and even it is a minimum hour-and-a-half round trip to and from the island; an Intercontinental arrival effectively doubles that. With gas prices being what they are and the time crunches we're sure to find ourselves in, if there's any way fliers can coordinate on a couple of days and times -- say, to arrive and/or depart on the same mornings or afternoons -- it will be a big boon to the shuttle crew (i.e., me, pretty much).

Generally, Galveston renters may park only four vehicles at any given property, so people who plan to rent a car at the airport also should check ahead to see if it would make more sense to arrange a ride. There may be additional parking available nearby, depending on where we rent. I will follow up on that as we get further into the planning process.

With enough planning ahead, I can arrange to take the party week as vacation, as long as we get a place with wifi so I can meet a couple of standing deadlines. I can get there early and stay late to stock up on TP and drop off keys and whatnot.

So who thinks they're interested?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Emmangel
Administrator

I may be interested. I'm busy three weekends this October, so it'd depend on when it was, and then if I could get the time off work.

(I'm only free on the 13/14th, though might be able to give up the 20/21 weekend).

So put me down as a 'maybe'.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I have class on Wednesdays and Thursdays this fall so I'd have to do something like Friday-Tuesday but I'd be interested.

Do you like swimming? - yes
Surfing - not really
Biking - please I'm on vacation
The beach -yes
Do you prefer to shop - love it
explore -depends on how hot it is
or visit historic sites and museums - always fun
Or do you just wanna mix some margaritas on the sand? - got a great recepie for goddess margaritas and Pina Durada's (variation on the pina colada)
Are you ready to spend a weekend -- or even a week -- partying and adventuring with fellow Strangers in an honest-to-God pirate sanctuary? - yeppers and so far I have no trips planned for Oct. Yay!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
tchouli
"Viggo...yummy!!"

i am interested. if you trying to have the con cover over a weekend - i am only available the weekends of oct 13th and 27th.

let me know

how have you been? long time?
d*c this year?

talk to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
And now to considering the details. (Informed consent!)

With enough planning ahead, I can arrange to take the party week as vacation, as long as we get a place with wifi so I can meet a couple of standing deadlines. I can get there early and stay late to stock up on TP and drop off keys and whatnot.

So who thinks they're interested?

www.catatat-alley.com

"...Cats believe they are God"
"I purr, therefore I am."

please spay and neuter

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker
tchouli is offline   Reply With Quote