Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
brownsbros3

Angel ranked among the worst endings ever

This was in my Sunday TV Guide. It was a reprint from an article that was apparently on Zap2it.com. The writers are Jay Bobbin and Kate O'Hare. They discuss the long running TV shows that are ending this year like Will and Grace, the West Wing, Alias, 7th Heaven, That 70's Show, Charmed, and Malcolm in the Middle. They then list their picks for the best and worst finales. Angel was listed among the worst along with Quantum Leap, St. Elsewhere, and Seinfeld.

Here's what they said about Angel.
"This wasn't as rough as it could have been, since executive producer Joss Whedon got ample warning from the network that the end was nigh. Still, it wasn't the happy ending some fans may have wanted. Vampire-with-a-soul Angel (David Boreanaz) and his demon-fighting team went down swinging against supernatural foes, but at the cost of some of their lives. Maybe all of their lives, in fact, since we never saw the end of the fight."

The shows listed as the best endings were Cheers, The Fugitive (the original 1960's series), MASH, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

I liked the ending of ANGEL. I might not have liked some (well, a lot) of things that happened in the show in seasons 4 and 5. But the ending wasn't one of them.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyblue
I liked the ending of ANGEL. I might not have liked some (well, a lot) of things that happened in the show in seasons 4 and 5. But the ending wasn't one of them.
Yep, the last run of episodes brought the show back to it's original premise. Angel, the demon, humanized by his interactions with his family, fighting until he can't fight any more. And we didn't get the frightful "road warrior" season, for which I am eternally grateful.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quantum Leap was ranks as having a bad ending? It wasn't a happy ending, Sam never went home but I didn't think it was horrible, it certainly left the story open for TV Movies.

But I guess, I can understand the ranking on both shows, in the fact that neither really supplied an ending. Sam didn't go home, Angel didn't win an epic battle and shanshu, etc. I do tend to prefer series endings that wrap up the storline, TWW (final eps) and JAG come to mind as shows with great endings.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

By and large, we Americans like the happy ending, so it's not so surprising that QL and Angel aren't considered among the better ones.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

I'm not surprised "St. Elsewhere" made it. That final episode pretty much destroyed it for syndication. Who wants to get all involved in a series only to get that kind of fuck-you at the very end? It's rarely a good idea to leave your audience feeling stupid and cheated. (Other than the Friends of Little Joe, that is. )
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
omg angel

I didn't really like the ending. I mean, I understand and love the concept of Angel. That you're always fighting. But that ending was just a mean cliffhanger, and there were a lot of things that kind of confused me about it. One being that if it was the apocalypse, why wasn't Buffy and the other slayers there?

That shouldn't have been the way to end the series. It was a good end to a season, but as a series I felt slightly cheated by that ending.
omg angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg angel
One being that if it was the apocalypse, why wasn't Buffy and the other slayers there?
It wasn't the Apocalypse. That whole fight at the end was just about the Senior Partners punishing Angel and Co. for killing the Black Thorn members. It was overkill (probably as an example to keep others from doing similar things), but that's all the big fight was. The Senior Partners' revenge on Angel and Friends.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
califi

Forget the Slayer- after all, this was AtS, not BtVS. The person that should have been there at the end was Cordelia. Enough said.

GoTeam C/A
califi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg angel
But that ending was just a mean cliffhanger, and there were a lot of things that kind of confused me about it. One being that if it was the apocalypse, why wasn't Buffy and the other slayers there?
It was my understanding that it was more of a mini-apocalypse. Angel was very clear to his team that their actions would make little difference in the long term. W&H would go on, evil would still exist, yadda yadda. However for one moment it would grind evils machinations to a screeching halt and if that's all Angel and his team could manage, then it was better than nothing.

It was a nihlistic ending, but I don't think it ruined the show for sindication any more than Season 4 and the move to W&H already had.

I'm getting old. I can't remember how "St Elsewhere" ended, and we used to watch it.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
omg angel

I remember Lindsey telling them that it was the apocalypse. Not an apocalypse. Hence the confusion.
omg angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
ryanelli

I saw the last episode as fatalistic. Angel and the gang, went out as they lived their lives, fighting evil. I really didn't think anyone was left standing. I liked it that way, or would have preferred it that way.

Cheryl
ryanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
I'm getting old. I can't remember how "St Elsewhere" ended, and we used to watch it.
It was all dreamed up by an autistic child with a St. Eligius snowglobe. How's that for too clever by half?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
What Penny said.

If I'd been a fan back then, I woulda been ticked off, too. Basically, the whole series was a daydream.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
ryanelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
It was all dreamed up by an autistic child with a St. Eligius snowglobe. How's that for too clever by half?
Kinda like the entire season Bobby Ewing dreamed, on Dallas.

Cheryl
ryanelli is offline   Reply With Quote