Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Miscellaneous > Forum Announcements/Help
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Problems with the Just Fic archive...?

Florrie and I have been checking into a few reports of downloading errors occurring on files stored at Just Fic. I can't get anything to fail, but I will be running the affected pages through a code checker to see if anything leaps out.

In the meantime, you might try downloading a new browser. I use Mozilla, which is free, works perfectly, and is faster than anything you may have experienced before. Mozilla Firebird, available for free download at the same address, is just as effective.

Please keep us posted on any further errors. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Mab
The orbit of your hips

Penny, you've mentioned Mozilla a couple times, so I think I'll give it a try. What's the diff between Mozilla and the Firebird version--in layman's terms?

Obnoxious Delusional Sycophant
Mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #3
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Mozilla is the full-featured browser, meaning it can do Web browsing, e-mail, and editing. Firebird is a browser-only version, but fully extensible and a much faster download.

Both have built-in popup blocking -- reason enough by itself to get either one, but there is much else to recommend them.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:39 PM   #4
Florrie
I want it all for me...

Does it block *all* pop-us? Or only advertising? I was wondering how the little pop-ups I use at Just Fic would be affected.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
Mab
The orbit of your hips

Penny, I've been using Mozilla for about 10 minutes and haven't had a single pop up. Thank you so much for suggesting it. Jeremy and I would like to marry you. We can have the ceremony when you come down for DragonCon.

Obnoxious Delusional Sycophant
Mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by Florrie
Does it block *all* pop-us? Or only advertising? I was wondering how the little pop-ups I use at Just Fic would be affected.
Just the ads, Florrie. The popup windows people actually click on to access aren't affected.

And Katy, I'm ready any time y'all are. How about, say, Saturday, noonish?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

*bink*

One more word about Mozilla's and Firebird's popup blocker -- if you visit financial or travel sites or any other where you may actually need some unselected popup windows, you can allow popups from just those sites. Go to Moz/FB Preferences, choose Privacy & Security, and then choose Popup Windows. Make sure "Block unrequested popup windows" is checked, then click the Allowed Sites button and add the applicable site addresses.

This feature works well for those who have their ST panel set to generate a popup when they receive a new PM. Just list www.stranger-things.net as one of your Allowed Sites. Have cake, eat cake.