Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
v120176

Joss doing a Buffy comic

This is from a post at Whedonverse (the thread is at slayerverse: http://slayerverse.org/tanet/net_buf...s.php&id=27424 )

Quote:

Speaking of Darkhorse Comics, they are starting a new Buffy comic, and as I understand it, it will take place after the end of Buffy and Angel and be canon in the Buffy world. And I understand it that way 'cause I'M WRITING IT. I'm kicking off the book with a four issue arc that finds Buffy -- you guessed it -- living in Italy with The Immortal. (Scott -- don't be mad I spoiled the announcement -- saying it means I have to finish it.) Then I'll be overseeing the book more closely, to make sure it remains true. Gonna be interesting....
And it just might tie in to... The infamous Spike movie. Still haven't finalized anything, but I feel that very soon I'll be able to go to James and say something a lot more interesting than "Wouldn't it be cool if..." 'Course, I just hope he's free some time this decade. See how my peeps is all actifying! Tomorrow night is AMIAS, (that's alias with Acker in it.) Happy. And totally jealous.

See, the Buffyverse glows in my brain with a new, overreaching arc that will include the comics, Spike, and more. It's taking shape and soon you will know its name. And you will tremble.
Also he speaks about X-men and Serenity DVD and more things.... the first part of the rambling probably will require some coffee to read it.

Last edited by v120176; 11-10-2005 at 05:31 PM.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
That*clown

Location: suburban D.C.-supplied with a different breed of demons
Quote:
Originally Posted by v120176
Also he speaks about X-men and Serenity DVD and more things.... the first part of the rant probably will require some coffee to read it.
Why are you assuming it's going to be a rant? It sounds to me as if he's pleased and excited by his new projects. Do you read everything Joss says as a rant?

Go, me.
That*clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
v120176

Quote:
Originally Posted by That*clown
Why are you assuming it's going to be a rant? It sounds to me as if he's pleased and excited by his new projects. Do you read everything Joss says as a rant?

Sorry I meant rambling not rant, my bad (I was posting in another place at the same time, I'm going to correct the post now)

And before any doubts, I don't call anything Joss says a "rambling" or a rant, first I READ ALL what he says..... This is only the part about the Buffyverse.... and, second, just in case..... if you go and go and go, jumping from one theme to another, and not ending really any idea at all, talking about a lot of things at the same time...... in my country that's called "rambling", excited or not.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
That*clown

Location: suburban D.C.-supplied with a different breed of demons
Quote:
Originally Posted by v120176
Sorry I meant rambling not rant, my bad (I was posting in another place at the same time, I'm going to correct the post now)

And before any doubts, I don't call anything Joss says a "rambling" or a rant, first I READ ALL what he says..... This is only the part about the Buffyverse.... and, second, just in case..... if you go and go and go, jumping from one theme to another, and not ending really any idea at all, talking about a lot of things at the same time...... in my country that's called "rambling", excited or not.
Correction understood-yes, if that's what he's doing that's a ramble, not a rant.

Go, me.
That*clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
JoJo

Gee, I thought the Buffyverse was over. [cynicism]Joss's renewed interest in the Buffyverse couldn't possibly have anything to do with Serenity massive box office failure could it?[/cynicism]
JoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
tojoson

i wouldn't exactly call Serenity a MASSIVE box-office failure

it's done 25.1 mil in the US
2.6 million pounds in the UK
2 mil in Australia

it's already #22 on Amazon and it won't even be released till Dec. 20th

plus, there's tv rights, and all the merchandising and books

the movie WILL make a profit, and will probably spawn a sequal or two

this doesn't change what i think of jass personally
(you can tell what i think of him, because i refuse to capitalize his name, he's a small man, personality wise, and doesn't deserve capitalization)

but give credit where credit is due, his movie, while not an outstanding success, is not a failure either

he's had a couple of years away from the Buffyverse, maybe he's just ready to go back now
Old 11-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
Shalazar
Charisma Guru

I have always heard that in order for a movie to be profitable, it needs to gross 3-4x its production costs. Serenity looks like it cost 39M to make, so under that formula, it means that it needs gross total sales of anywhere between 120-160M to turn a movie industry profit.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Prima
I have no idea...

Not that I'd buy it but for those who do, I sure hope that he maintains his interest through the end.

Unlike say what he did with the Angel four book run he did.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalazar
I have always heard that in order for a movie to be profitable, it needs to gross 3-4x its production costs. Serenity looks like it cost 39M to make, so under that formula, it means that it needs gross total sales of anywhere between 120-160M to turn a movie industry profit.
Movie studios have funny accounting. They told the writer of "Forrest Gump" that the movie lost money (and thus he didn't get any extra royalties). But I think conventional wisdom is that if the movie can recoup it's production budget just from the US box office, it's quite profitable. Serenity didn't do that, but I doubt it will actually lose money.

The bottom line, though, is that Joss won't get to make a sequel, and so he has time to take on other projects he would not otherwise have done. This is one of them.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
Sugar Bliss
Good Advice Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojoson
i wouldn't exactly call Serenity a MASSIVE box-office failure
It made $35,739,045 worldwide, but it cost $39 million to make; I would say advertising cost a several million more on top of that.

Making less than it cost to make is usually considered a massive failure. DVDs and such could help their cause later but still... loss at the box-office not at all a good thing, plus it was pulled from the international market - ie. many countries that were going to screen the movie dropped it, that wouldn't have happened if it'd made money.

Joss would have made a gloat-post if it had.

Now he's back to Buffy. So not a shock.
Team Cordy™ #8

"For I am Satan" - Kath, MSN, 28th July, 2002

me, myself, and I

Sugar Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
tojoson

now whedon has anoth3er movie to do

from dreamwatch magezine, issue #14

Quote:
Buffy creator joss whedon is to be writer and director of Universal Pictures' supernatural thriller 'Goner'
"it's a story of a young woman's journey that involves a great deal of horror and some heroics" reported whedon."it's certainly darker then Serenety, and there's a lot of left turns along the way, and it just poured out of me when i finished my film"
didn't he just finish telling a story like that, about a certain dark haired cheerleader from a small California town who moved to LA,
i thought he ended that one and said he didn't have any more to say about her

in addition, the magezine is reporting that Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof have been approached to appear in the Spike movie. (if it happens)
no explaination of how Wesley would come back to life

Last edited by tojoson; 11-19-2005 at 07:46 PM.
tojoson is offline   Reply With Quote