Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party!
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Overall, it was decent, but I know I'm going to be in the minority here when I say that I hated Summar Glau as the new Terminator. Hated - with a passion. And not just because I thought her acting was weak.
Ironically, my first thught when I saw she was cast as a Terminator is that it's the perfect role for her, she can act as wooden/poorly as she usually does and it fits the character perfectly
Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Just because John and Sarah Connor have survived a couple encounters with Terminators doesn't mean one of these days they won't get knocked off and the timeline will be completely different (meaning Judgment Day goes off without a hitch and the machines take over).
Paradox. The terminator was sent back by John Connor, therefore as long as the terminator is in the past, John Connor cannot be killed because John Connor sent the terminator back. So whatever they do is the right thing to do in terms of assuring John's survival.

But DS is right; you can't attach logic to anything involving time travel.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Paradox. The terminator was sent back by John Connor, therefore as long as the terminator is in the past, John Connor cannot be killed because John Connor sent the terminator back. So whatever they do is the right thing to do in terms of assuring John's survival.

But DS is right; you can't attach logic to anything involving time travel.
Exactly. (What?) No, really - furthermore, if John or Sarah or whoever is eventually successful and brings down Skynet (thereby preventing the computers from ever taking control in the first place), then there is no John Connor in the future sending his friend (father) back to protect his mother from the first Terminator, and therefore John Connor doesn't exist as of that moment since his father never met/impregnated his mother.

In fact, I kind of thought that was the whole point of the third film - there was no escaping the future that had already been pre-set. Which is why I'm a little bit surprised that they seem to be premising the series on the notion that the mission is to destroy Skynet before it can take over, because that way lies time paradox frustration.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
In fact, I kind of thought that was the whole point of the third film - there was no escaping the future that had already been pre-set.
Hence the canon violation. I guess take a cue from the producers and pretend T3 never happened.

And I meant to say before, Glau's talent notwithstanding, I thought the whole point of making the terminator a female was about playing off the 'bad' terminator in T3 being female. The ass-kicking-blonde-Buffy-wanna-be connection never even crossed my mind.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
ophelia

I can go insane with the logic of the Terminator world (as with other sci fi worlds as well)....so I freely admit that I just turn a blind eye to a lot of the details when it comes to the time travel, etc. Plus, I freely admit I am no expert. I loved T1 and T2 but I never actually saw T3. (I will confess to my ears perking up a few posts back when someone referenced Christian Bale! Yum.)

The jury is still out for me in regards to Summer Glau....but at the moment I'm inclined to like her. I'm just waiting for the first John/Cameron shipper website to start up. Then we'll know the show has really begun.

I'm actually more on the fence in regards to Sarah. Linda Hamilton is definitely hard to live up to. Also? Did anyone else do a double take when they first showed her fiance? For a second I swear I thought it was the guy who played the new model terminator in the second movie. (See? This is me not being an expert....I can't remember his dang name....)
Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
(I will confess to my ears perking up a few posts back when someone referenced Christian Bale! Yum.)
I was wondering when someone would pick up on that. Let me tell you that's the only thing that even has me interested in this show, just building up the momento until CBale becomes the ultimate John Conner.

Quote:
Also? Did anyone else do a double take when they first showed her fiance? For a second I swear I thought it was the guy who played the new model terminator in the second movie. (See? This is me not being an expert....I can't remember his dang name....)
Do you mean Robert Patrick? The liquid metal terminator?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #22
Liam
It's French, Bitch.

Perhaps we shouldn't try to apply logic not because it's a time travel show, but because the basic premise was conceived by James Cameron, and strong story structure isn't exactly his forte. "Can't be blamed for inaccuracies, Jimmy thought it up." Works for me.

I really like Lena Headey as Sarah. I know many circles were letting the producers have it over the choice, but just from the previews I thought she would be a good fit. I think she's gonna nail the whole tough bitch persona.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #23
ophelia

Yes! That's the one! I thought his name was Robert something. If I wasn't lazy I guess I could have googled it, huh?

Now I'm going to go back to my mental images of Christian Bale as John Conner. Seriously. The only problem is that "resistance" is perhaps the LAST thing on my mind when I see him......

ETA:

Tonight's episode was even better than last night's. I'm enjoying the vibe they're setting up. I read a review that made the point that this show is entertaining in a way that Bionic Woman just isn't, and I couldn't agree more.

And I'll admit it. The new Sarah's growing on me.

Last edited by ophelia; 01-14-2008 at 09:34 PM.
ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #24
Temujin
Universal Ruler

While I enjoyed the first two episodes, I can't see this going on more than a few seasons. The genre's run its course.
" The horse thief shall be killed. The sentry that is negligent shall be killed. The arrow messenger that becomes drunk shall be killed. The man who appropriates loot for himself shall be killed. The leader who is incompetent shall be killed".-Genghis Khan
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #25
ophelia

This week's episode worried me a bit. It was rather repetitive....I can see what you mean about wondering how they will drag this out over multiple seasons. And what is with the chance in Cameron? In the pilot she knew how to be a flirty teenager. Now she suddenly doesn't?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
And what is with the chance in Cameron? In the pilot she knew how to be a flirty teenager. Now she suddenly doesn't?
She knew how to be flirty with John, who she knows from a long time in the future and who could easily have told her what to do, being as, as far as Future John's concerned, she's already done it and he can remember what she did. What he can't have told her is how to interact with people she doesn't know because he wasn't there to see what happened. Or something like that. It's making my head hurt again.

Anyway, I liked it. I'm really looking forward to seeing Garret Dillahunt joining the series.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #27
DamnSkippy

Quote:
This week's episode worried me a bit. It was rather repetitive....I can see what you mean about wondering how they will drag this out over multiple seasons. And what is with the chance in Cameron? In the pilot she knew how to be a flirty teenager. Now she suddenly doesn't?
I agree that bothers me. I don't know, Sam, aren't these robots supposed to possess AI? Don't they learn and apply knowledge to varying situations? I would think if she "learned" how to act with John she could extrapolate those behaviors to others and seem like a human. But, then, they all seem very "robot-y" for AI creatures. I would think the terminators would act more human to blend in, but, again, they're programmed for killing missions and don't seem to care whether or not they stand out from a crowd.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #28
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
I would think if she "learned" how to act with John she could extrapolate those behaviors to others and seem like a human.
Well, no one's accused her of not being human, so thus far, she's seems to be doing okay. And yeah, the AHHHHHNOLD terminator gave that whole long spiel about learning and adapting, but he only ever hung out much with John and Sarah.

Cameron too has had most of her interaction with John and Sarah, so Cameron in the girls bathroom... Well, I think we can all agree flirty wouldn't have been the way to go there.

Then too, Cameron isn't the same model as the AHHHHHNOLD terminator, or the one chasing John now. Her capabilities may not be the same.

The only part that bugged me about Cameron in this episode was her standing there next to John instead of just sitting down in class. That she has shown she knows to do. The rest is new-ish for her, to my mind.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #29
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Ironically, my first thught when I saw she was cast as a Terminator is that it's the perfect role for her, she can act as wooden/poorly as she usually does and it fits the character perfectly
You mean she's not just acting that way for the part? That's her normal acting style?

Ewww...

We haven't watched this weeks epi yet, but over all I'd say it's not too bad. There are some "Hello?!" moments, like you find in just about any show, but so far so good.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #30
Dathan
Buttkicking for goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
While I enjoyed the first two episodes, I can't see this going on more than a few seasons. The genre's run its course.
This show is on Fox. I give it a half season, tops.

I haven't read any spoilers or anything...I refuse to get too into this just to have it cancelled out from under me...but I'm going to speculate that Cameron is modelled physically after someone specific in John's future life. I did find it strange that John first met Cameron when she was "undercover" in a high school, yet now she's acting like she's new to the whole thing.
Dathan is offline   Reply With Quote