Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party! > TV Class Reunion!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

Dollhouse season 2 discussion

All your discussion for season 2 of Dollhouse right here!

The new season premieres in the US on Friday, September 25, 2009.

If you want to know what's in store for the show, there are lots of articles out there. Here's the most recent from Scifi Wire

9 Dollhouse Season 2 Scoops from Joss Himself

Quote:
Season two picks up with Echo (Eliza Dushku) experiencing many of her past imprints, sometimes randomly, sometimes deliberately triggered. Paul Ballard (Tahmoh Penikett) now works for the Dollhouse, grudgingly, as Echo's handler. Boyd (Harry Lennix) now works security for Adelle (Olivia Williams).
The actual scoops I've left on the site.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
aikakone

Here's another article posted on SciFi Wire, though I can't tell that it's much different from my previous link.

All you need to know for Dollhouse season 2

Teaser quote:

Quote:
1. This is what creator Joss Whedon wanted all along. After a season full of network retooling, the show has ended up back at the dark, noir-ish tone from the pilot that Fox made Whedon reshoot. "It reminds me very much, to be honest with you, of the unaired original pilot," Penikett said. "It's dark. The show seems to have found its theme and its music. It's ironic, but I think we've come full circle, and it works and it makes sense, and it is the show. You understand that, and the feeling on the set with the actors and the writers and everyone is like, 'OK, we've got it now. We've got it. This is it.' Even me personally as an actor, I've just been feeling much happier with the work and much more confident, because it just makes sense. Last year was bumpy at times, very bumpy. It's difficult to work like that."
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

May not be much to discuss; ratings sucked.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
jerry

I can't imagine why an hourlong sitcom starring Michael Strahan wasn't as effective a lead-in as T:TSCC.

At any rate, FOX ordered thirteen episodes, and they know Joss's fans will buy them on DVD, so I imagine they'll produce them all, and they'll get seen eventually. I doubt the show will last longer than that. Which is disappointing, because I do like it for the most part, but it's not really the best work Joss has done.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I can't imagine why an hourlong sitcom starring Michael Strahan wasn't as effective a lead-in as T:TSCC.
It's not all Fox's fault, as the 270K(+) fewer viewers from 9:30 on demonstrates, but I'm sure it isn't helping.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
jerry

"Brothers" actually attracted more viewers for it's rerun on Sunday than for the initial broadcast on Friday. Fox should probably move it there, and try something else ahead of Dollhouse.

As far as the content of DH itself, I did think it was a good episode, and I think Joss is working on one of the show's biggest problems, which is that no actual story can take place regarding Echo if she has no durable memories and personality. OTOH, I guess Amy Acker is only available for a couple more episodes, which is too bad since her character is really clicking now.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
"Brothers" actually attracted more viewers for it's rerun on Sunday than for the initial broadcast on Friday.
You'd almost think putting a show starring an ex-football player on after a football game would be a good idea.

Quote:
...and I think Joss is working on one of the show's biggest problems, which is that no actual story can take place regarding Echo if she has no durable memories and personality.
And yet, if Echo becomes the sum of her experiences, how is she any different than any other person on the planet, and what's the need for all the Dollhouse overhead?

Quote:
OTOH, I guess Amy Acker is only available for a couple more episodes, which is too bad since her character is really clicking now.
In this viewer's opinion, the Saunders stuff was far more interesting than the 'Apollo, the gun runner, gets married' story. The scenes with Saunders and Topher were especially good. Shame, that.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
rolandro

I was really looking forward to this season but:

Not to be a wet rag, but my problem with this show is pretty simple: 48 minutes worth of totally unsuspended suspension of disbelief. Even after watching and even coming to like it toward the end of S1, I found myself coming to the inevitable conclusion: I do not believe it for a second. Not only is the technology impossible, but improbable. There is absolutely no need for it. Human trafficing is the world's second oldest industry and as for the first (as many of the doll scenarios enact): money drugs and violence are all sufficient to motivate most real-world 'dolls' to be whoever you want.

Joss-Speak. Was very heavy here.

But I watch because I will see Tamoh P, (and the other BSG folks that will be coming by) because it's like old ATS homeweek and I support these folks for giving me many hours of enjoyment.

ETA: Also, I think that there are a lot of very strong new and returning shows that grabbed me more this week. Maybe a let-down?
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
aikakone

I confess I still haven't watched it. I have to watch it online when I do.

Question to those who've seen it: Does Alexis use his own accent? At times I've heard it before, I've just not liked it. I think his "Wesley" voice sounds lower in pitch, not in the basement--just lower, and I find that more appealing.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
rolandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikakone View Post

Question to those who've seen it: Does Alexis use his own accent? At times I've heard it before, I've just not liked it. I think his "Wesley" voice sounds lower in pitch, not in the basement--just lower, and I find that more appealing.
He's playing an American character. Tenor range.
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikakone View Post

Alexis and Jamie Bamber of BSG both use their real accents. And they both sounded fake to me
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

So I guess this thing with Echo 'feeling' her personalities is a side effect? Did we know that already?

And I had to wonder where they got the idea for this latest enhancement to the imprint process. I bet it came from all the Connor/Darla/Lactating Buffy fics.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
aikakone

Watched the first episode on Hulu yesterday, and didn't get to look at the 2nd one because my net decided to act up.

I really loved Amy Acker in the episode. She made it so interesting, and I think the writers gave her some good stuff to work with. I didn't love her as Fred, but that's perhaps because she was in the shadow of Charisma. I thought her Illyria was fantastic. The conflicted and twisted Whiskey Saunders is one of the best things about the Dollhouse.

I enjoy the character of Ivy. I have since the first time I saw her. She reminds me in looks of Tosh from Torchwood. Maybe that's the token really cute Asian chick.

Still love Boyd. I wonder if we'll ever get his story of why he even started working for the Dollhouse. He's always been suspicious of it, too, though not as obviously as Ballard. It does suprise me, though, that he's already head of security. Yes, he's the obvious choice from the characters who've been on screen, but I got the impression last season that he'd not been working for the Dollhouse all that long, either.

Oh, and the opening credits... what's that? All Echo, all the time? I know it's her show, but I found it lacking.

Look forward to more Alexis. The suit analysis was funny to me because it seemed so random at first.

I'll try to get to episode 2 this evening or perhaps tomorrow.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
aikakone

Watched the 2nd episode online before work this morning.

Since November/Melly/Madeline was used as a sleeper agent during her contract, I wondered if the 3 words Topher had her repeat were her "secret words" more than just some words he'd picked to check ehr cognitive abilities. Did anyone else think that?

No Boyd. Or I certainly didn't notice him. Boyd is awesome. We can't have Boyd-less episodes.

Still loving Alexis, though at times his own voice has a very nasal quality. I've said it before (and this makes yet another time), but I simply don't like it. And not merely because I wasn't used to it, but because I... don't like it.

I noticed the left side of his face (audience right) was in shadow at the beginning of the scene in his home office. Was that a concession to his Bell's Palsy? It wasn't a deep shadow, but I had read how season 5 of Angel had used a lot of those filming tricks.

Oh, and the Van Halen quote was funny to me, particularly in light of the more recent change in bass players.

I enjoyed Eliza's acting in this one, and while she did have a "ninja-mom" quality at the end (borrowing a phrase from Hulu), it seemed authentic to a desperate mother instead of a random excuse to show Eliza kicking butt.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Well, Fox committed to airing all 13 episodes, despite the ratings. Apparently DVR viewing bumps the ratings significantly. Still, it is Fox.