Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Movie Mania!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Childe of Blade

The Dark Knight

I intend to see the movie this week, so to anybody who did see it, does it live up to the hype?
Childe of Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
Lovin' Lorne
Too Hot For Words

YES.

I thought it was fantastic. They could have maybe tightened it up a bit in a few places, but over all, bloody brilliant.

And Ledger will blow your mind. What a shame to have lost him so young.

Where's Blue? Please help if you can.
Lovin' Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childe of Blade View Post
I intend to see the movie this week, so to anybody who did see it, does it live up to the hype?
OMFG.... YES! It was unbelievably good - intense, but densely plotted, well written and brilliantly acted. It's been a really long time since I've been in a theatre when an audience actually spontaneously APPLAUDS at several points during the film.

Ledger was amazing, but so were Bale, Freeman, Caine, Eckhart and Oldman, and all in far less showy roles. Just a great film.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I'm going to see this in about 3 hours. I can't wait, it looks fantstic.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
ophelia

I saw it yesterday and loved it. The Joker was freaky as HELL....and I don't say that lightly.

It makes such a world of difference the way Christopher Nolan shoots on location-- it grounds the movie in a much more real way for me than most comic book movies.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
stormy
Hopeless Romantic

It was amazing. The cast had so much chemistry, you forgot they were actors.(possible exception of Gyllenhal, she was just blah) Bale was phenomenal again, Ledger took it to a whole new level. Eckhart was scary.

So many twists and turns, but they all made sense. It was dark, it was angsty. I loved every minute of it and would have sat through it again!!

I was one of the people applauding. Go see it. Seriously.

www.denimday.com
stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

I really enjoyed, I thought Ledger was fantastic as the Joker, I loved Bale as both faces of Bruce Wayne (real guy and jerky playboy) as well as the darkness he brought to Batman.

I loved Eckhart, Oldman and Caine (although there wasn't enough Alfred for my liking). I thought Gyllenhal did much better in the role than Katie Holmes but was still kind of blah on the character.

The story, dialogue and acting were all fantastic, I especially loved the scenes between Joker/Gordon and Joker/Batman. This truly showed the depths that good comic books can get too and I loved how "real" it felt.

I felt that if you kept the story but altered the characters this would make for a great crime story or film noir, that's how real it felt. Yet for all this praise I just don't have the desire to run back out and see it again.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Cantinera
Miss StrangerThings 2003

Location: I don't know at the moment, so stop asking difficult questions.
Seriously, seriously awesome. I absolutely LOVED it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Ledger was amazing, but so were Bale, Freeman, Caine, Eckhart and Oldman, and all in far less showy roles. Just a great film.
What Platy said.

Last.fm: for the musically nosy.
Cantinera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Childe of Blade

saw it today...

Oh...my...God!

Oh-o-o-o-OOOhhh my God!!!

Best... Film... Ever!!!!
Childe of Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
25cent

I feel so left out. I saw it Wednesday and I thought it was okay. Ledger was great as the Joker, but I don't know, I thought the rest of the movie was just so-so.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cent View Post
I feel so left out. I saw it Wednesday and I thought it was okay. Ledger was great as the Joker, but I don't know, I thought the rest of the movie was just so-so.
I was looking forward to it, but the lethal cocktail of Dark Knight hype and Dark Knight fanboys killed my interest. Then buried it, then tramped the dirt down, then dug it up and killed it again because it didn't die hard enough the first time.

Surely I will still see it eventually, but I'll wait until the squeeing has simmered down.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Dathan
Buttkicking for goodness

I've seen it twice so far. I plan on seeing it again this weekend.

I should probably say I'm one of the biggest batman fans of all time. I've been reading the comic for over 20 years. I read most of the famous storylines...Knightfall, No Man's Land, very appropriately year one...as they were coming out. I own the entirety of the animated series to include batman beyond and the justice league series. My wireless network is called the batcave. A batman blanket is on my bed. A batman heroclix stands guard over my laptop, and poison ivy is currently on my desktop.

I don't say all that because I want you to know how much of a geek I am (I freely admit to that, it's common knowledge, but that's not the point.) I say it to emphasize my credentials for critiquing this movie.

The Dark Knight is a great movie. I highly recommend ignoring the fanboy squealing, ignoring the "OMG Heath Ledger deserves an oscar!!" talk, and ignoring all the buzz about his death. Go see the movie, or you will end up regretting it later, I think. Heath is getting all the attention, but that movie is full of outstanding performances...Christian Bale is the best Bruce Wayne ever (not the best batman ever, I think Kevin Conroy's voice for me IS batman.) Morgan Freeman is perfect as Lucius Fox. Michael Caine is good as Alfred. Gary Oldman can play any part and is always amazing. I really and truly like Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent too.

If anyone deserves an oscar, the screenwriter does. I've read nothing about Ledger ad-libbing that role, and if he did, I'll retract this statement, but that script was awesome. I can think of 3 or 4 great actors who could have pulled it off just as well. Don't buy into all the hype about him...go see it with an open mind and decide for yourself.

I don't think the movie was perfect, but unlike most comic book movies, I didn't groan at any point or think "that's wrong" or "I would have done <fill in the blank>" That's the highest complement I can pay to it.

RIP Gary Gygax, 1938-2008
RIP Michael Turner, 1971-2008
RIP Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
--This year sucks
Dathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
25cent

I see what you are saying, but I guess I'm coming from a different direction. I thought Ledger by far was the best part of the movie; Bale is a good actor but it sounded like he was chewing gravel when playing Batman. (It made me have a hard time taking seriously his speeches) To me, he was more interesting as Bruce Wayne; I really like his Bruce Wayne because he's arrogant and fun.

I didn't buy into the whole political subtext either; I thought that was a bit heavy handed.

This is a funny short little clip with bobble heads:

http://www.complexvideo.com/Celebrit...-Three-Minutes
Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
25cent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century View Post
I was looking forward to it, but the lethal cocktail of Dark Knight hype and Dark Knight fanboys killed my interest. Then buried it, then tramped the dirt down, then dug it up and killed it again because it didn't die hard enough the first time.

Surely I will still see it eventually, but I'll wait until the squeeing has simmered down.

I do think it's worth seeing if you are into comic book movies; it looks great on the big screen, but if you can catch it at a cheap movie house--one that serves alcohol would be awesome because I really wanted a beer while watching the movie--do that. The film no doubt loses a lot when it's confined to the small screen.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cent View Post
The film no doubt loses a lot when it's confined to the small screen.
So I've said about Speed Racer, surely the most sadly underrated film of the summer. Sounds like good advice.