Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #16
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

I agree that this isn't really about Little Joe screwing up the franchise, but about how the franchise can be screwed up by anybody who signs off on the wrong casting decision. I'm'a tweak the thread title. Fair is fair.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #17
LaLa247
Wooo!

This WW movie is gonna suck so bad.

In related news, Sean Connery says "Suck it, Hollywood!"
Quote:
He told the New Zealand Herald: "I'm fed up with the idiots... the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who greenlight the movies."
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #18
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry
It seems to me that the really godawful comic-book adaptations tend to be the ones with major stars in them. As a rule, the ones built around unknowns fare a lot better. And despite a few misses, Joss's track record for finding talented unknowns is pretty strong. If Joss f's up the movie, it probably won't be due to his casting decisions.
Can't we ever just agree? If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were a Boston fan

In all seriousness, I think there is probably a 50/50 breakdown of suckiness greatness based on the cast, you probably have as many hits or "good" movies with known cast/leads as you do crap.

The thing that bothers me about the casting for WW and Superman is the idea that the only want to cast young unknowns, thereby throwing out several good candidates along the way.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #19
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Connery
"I'm fed up with the idiots... the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who greenlight the movies."
If anyone gets a chance, there's an interesting personal account on this very thing in the 25th Anniversary Edition of The Princess Bride.

It also gives insight into why Buffy and Joss got no love from UPN after Dean Valentine was shown the door. And likely why The WB and Fox will do little with the Buffy franchise again.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #20
Platypus
The Pointy End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima
If anyone gets a chance, there's an interesting personal account on this very thing in the 25th Anniversary Edition of The Princess Bride.

It also gives insight into why Buffy and Joss got no love from UPN after Dean Valentine was shown the door. And likely why The WB and Fox will do little with the Buffy franchise again.
Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting, but I don't have the edition in question.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #21
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting, but I don't have the edition in question.
Not!Prima, but I think she's talking about Goldman's famous observation about the established Hollywood territory-marking ritual of the new guy disowning the previous guy's projects, even if they succeeded and especially if they failed (paraphrasing here, but I could probably Google it and get an exact quote).

Upshot is, with Valentine out at UPN and Levin out at the WB, nobody's gonna want to touch their drop, even if it enjoyed some popularity. (Which makes the localized celebrating of Levin's ouster pretty ironic in context.)
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #22
Prima
I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Century
Not!Prima, but I think she's talking about Goldman's famous observation about the established Hollywood territory-marking ritual of the new guy disowning the previous guy's projects, even if they succeeded and especially if they failed (paraphrasing here, but I could probably Google it and get an exact quote).
Ah-yup. I have the book around here somewhere but that's it in a nutshell.

Quote:
Upshot is, with Valentine out at UPN and Levin out at the WB, nobody's gonna want to touch their drop, even if it enjoyed some popularity.
Heck. Valentine's successors couldn't say enough about how they never would have taken Buffy on.

I still maintain to this day, while UPN had made some missteps along the way that had hurt their chances as a network (ie. Falling back on their one flagship show to keep their network afloat), it was Buffy that almost put a nail in their coffin for good.

Quote:
Which makes the localized celebrating of Levin's ouster pretty ironic in context.
Heh. I think you and I both said at the time of the announcement that the guy who had been in their corner and the best chance for any Buffyverse was now gone.

If there had been any sense involved, there would have been a cookie campaigning goat romp to save Levin's job.

"...speculating on the sadomasochistic dominance games of the White House staff is always more interesting and topical than shipper wars." --Cordy's Bitch

"OMG GOD HATES ME BECAUSE HE DIDN'T MAKE JESUS/PETER CANON! I'M QUITTING THIS FANDOM, AND I AM TOTALLY NOT FINISHING REVELATIONS!" --latara
Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #23
v120176

This is from a new interview to Joss Whedon: (here is the rest: http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=10600 )

Quote:
As you go about casting Diana, do you set a height requirement? How important is it that the Amazon princess be tall? It’s important. I’m looking for somebody statuesque, regal, beautiful, who can really act and do a lot of stunts with no elbow or knee pads. I’m asking a lot. So if I happen to find all those qualities in somebody who does not quite meet my height requirement, I will be casting some really short love interest. The height is definitely a part of the package. But the most important part? No. And the fact of the matter is, a woman stands as tall as she makes you think she is. For example, I always thought [“Buffy” writer-producer] Marti Noxon was four inches taller than she actually was. I just found that out last week.

“Wonder Woman” producer Joel Silver prides himself on his casting acumen. Has he yet offered any suggestions? No. You know, we talked specifically about that. And the idea was always, “Write the part, and then we’ll figure it out.”

You’ve also talked about her being very young. Are you thinking college-age? Teen-ager? I’d say that’s a pretty flexible thing because it’s her first time setting foot in the world of men. But that doesn’t necessarily mean she has to be a teen-ager. So, yes, they are thinking of a young woman. They’re thinking, I expect, of something franchise-able.
v120176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #24
Platypus
The Pointy End

Thanks Penny & Prima - now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading about that a while ago, but didn't make the connection to Goldman. But yes, I am familiar with the principle at play - I suspect it was part of the reason that "Dead Like Me" was cancelled in favour of "Huff" after Janollari came on board at Showtime.

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #25
tojoson

later in that same article, joss said that he watches Veronica Mars.
i
hmmm, i wonder if he's going to watcj this years premier
if he does he'll see a tall, healthy, beautiful, competent actress.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #26
LaLa247
Wooo!

A gossip blog backs Charisma for WW.
Charisma's Bitch #1

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #27
You're Welcome
Concorde crashes into LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit
To be fair, it is Lynda Carter here who said she'd prefer to see a younger unknown in the part. And yes, she's also echoing echoing what JW said as well.

Either way, there are many ways to fuck up WW besides casting...and I'm sure Joss will do it splendidly, starting with his writing.

? His writing? Some of the best episodes of Buffy were his. It wasn't so much his actual writing as his lackbrained, ill thought out ideas.
Cordy:You're a lot smarter than you look! 'Course, you look like a retard.

I hate Joss to...honest.
You're Welcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #28
Cordy's Bitch
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by You're Welcome
? His writing? Some of the best episodes of Buffy were his. It wasn't so much his actual writing as his lackbrained, ill thought out ideas.

Two words: cookie dough
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair. Or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Till then you've got a lot more punishment in store. So stand it like a man, and give some back."
Cordy's Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #29
You're Welcome
Concorde crashes into LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy's Bitch
Two words: cookie dough
I can't find the embarressed Smilie? In fairness, the first half of Chosen, sucked ass, BUT, you cant judge someone on one line or piece of dialogue. I thought the speech Buffy gave later on was nicely worded. You take the good with the bad.
Cordy:You're a lot smarter than you look! 'Course, you look like a retard.

I hate Joss to...honest.
You're Welcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #30
LaLa247
Wooo!

I think Whedon's writing for BtVS wasn't that bad, and his better work was on that show. When he wrote for AtS, he wrote the characters OOC, and managed to really screw up the show royally.
Charisma's Bitch #1