Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
jerry

Angel comics

For anyone who happens to care, IDW is planning a new Angel series in the style of the current Buffy series (only without Joss):

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=123012

Personally, I think too many of the AtS characters have been killed off to leave much of a story behind, but I suppose it will appeal to somebody.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
jean-vic

Oh, they're not planning. They're writing it now and with Joss. Joss has told them what he wants done in terms of story and Brian Lynch writes it. He doesn't write any himself. It will be canon though. Oh, and it's called Angel: After the Fall.

Oh, I'd usually agree with you but I don't think it would be fair to judge already. It could be very good. It couldn't bve worse than Season 5. But they have said one thing. Spike plays an important role.... as well as the other characters. I'm still a little iffy about that statement but we'll see when we get there.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
jerry

Personally, I don't really think there are enough characters left to tell a good story without bringing any of them back. Of course, I'd be all for Cordy coming back, but I think that's unlikely. I think a resurrection of Wes (who I don't think Joss would have killed unless the show was ending) would be a lot more probable.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Livvie
nutcase

Lynch is on the IDW forums and to be honest, I don't think we are going to see ANY mention of Cordelia AT ALL. A lot of people mentioned it and he was, well, to be honest, kind of a jerk about it. He can't stop talking about Spike and Illyria though so I think that is what we are going to be seeing.

I mean, Jasshat had talked about doing the Spike and Illyria movie there for a while so I am sure now that it fell through, he will bring it over to the comics.

I'll buy the first few issues to see what I think but I have a feeling I will be just as disappointed with the Angel comics as I am with the Buffy ones. **Like the latest issue? Excuse me, when did BTVS turn into a LOTR crossover? Gollum, fairies, wtf?**
Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
jean-vic

You know why, Livvie? Because there's no Cordelia. The shows and stories couldn't survive without her.

Yeah, he was a bit of a jerk about Cordelia, TO ME!!! I asked about it, and I was shouted at. It's what you get for being a fan.

They're bringing new characters in, though. A character called Betta George from Spike:Asylum will be in there. Is it just me, or does it seem like the writers have completely forgotten the series that went before Spike's arrival??
Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
tojoson

It's like the Angel Magazine. 90% of the stories in there were about season 5.

I would bet this comic will have Angel just as the titular leading character, but it will be all about spike.

I won't buy it
Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-vic View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like the writers have completely forgotten the series that went before Spike's arrival??
Well, really, there's nothing left of the series from before Spike's arrival. Virtually all the characters are dead, including all the women. One approach to that is to bring some people back to life, and the other is to focus on the small handful of survivors and create some new characters. But it really doesn't sound too promising to me.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
jean-vic

I don't see much of a future foir Angel in the long run. Spike: Asylum and Shadow Puppets are now canon because of Betta George being part of After The Fall and people at IDW have been arguing for ages now that Spike could hold his own series. It won't be long until Angel is killed off and Spike gets a series, IMO, a series that will conveniently forget all the good that Angel ever did to justify Spike more.

What happened to the wonderful series I loved??
Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
jean-vic

I'd like to add something though. It's not fair of me to say these things about the series or Spike. Yes, it has its faults and what show doesn't, but if Brian Lynch is as dedicated to the show as he says, I'm sure he will do a good job. Joss Whedon isn't having a big role on it, or so I've heard, and that should bring the story up a few notches as well. I've read Asylum and he did a very good job of incorporating other characters, telling their stories and keeping the focus on Spike. I'm sure it will be the same with After the Fall.

I shouldn't have said those things above, because I don't really mean them. I just get angry when I see what happened in Season 5 and I go off on tangents. Also, by saying these things I see myself having more chance of being accepted around here. So far, it hasn't been a very friendly place to be for me, and I always feel like I'm not wanted around here.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always be upset and angry about what happened to Cordelia in the last two series and she will always be one of my favourite chracters. I still love her to pieces and I'll always miss her presence in the stories, but that doesn't give me any right to bad mouth people in anger or because I want to get accepted here. I trust BL to do a good job of ATF, and I hope that he doesn't betray that trust.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
KAPS

Question What happened to redemption?

I just read some "highlights" from the new comic book, and what once would have irritated me, now I just find funny.

It turns out Angel didn't have his friends commit group suicide for nothing; He destroyed Los Angeles (and countless lives), Delivered Gunn to eternal damnation, ruined Conner's second life (the one he took the WR&H job for) *and* he gets to keep his job at Wolfram and Hart. Seriously, what was the point of all of it? In the end, Angel was a more effective villain than any "actual villain" on either show. What happened to redemption?

I am proud to announce that I am officially over ATS. I recently saw the two seasons I don't own on sell for $16 each and I wasn't even tempted.
KAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
jerkstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
I just read some "highlights" from the new comic book, and what once would have irritated me, now I just find funny.

It turns out Angel didn't have his friends commit group suicide for nothing; He destroyed Los Angeles (and countless lives), Delivered Gunn to eternal damnation, ruined Conner's second life (the one he took the WR&H job for) *and* he gets to keep his job at Wolfram and Hart. Seriously, what was the point of all of it? In the end, Angel was a more effective villain than any "actual villain" on either show. What happened to redemption?
So, seeing that Angel is now a supervillain, is Buffy going to kill him again?
jerkstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
jean-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkstore View Post
So, seeing that Angel is now a supervillain, is Buffy going to kill him again?
Angel isn't a villian. His actions incurred the wrath of the Senior Partners though and they did all of the above. Angel is still trying to help and save LA from them. Read the comic and see.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
jerkstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-vic View Post
Angel isn't a villian. His actions incurred the wrath of the Senior Partners though and they did all of the above. Angel is still trying to help and save LA from them. Read the comic and see.
But LA wouldn't need saving if Angel hadn't provoked the SPs in the first place. He knew fully well beforehand that the SPs would wreck a terrible vengence, but went ahead anyway. If that doesn't make him a villain, what does?
jerkstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
jean-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkstore View Post
But LA wouldn't need saving if Angel hadn't provoked the SPs in the first place. He knew fully well beforehand that the SPs would wreck a terrible vengence, but went ahead anyway. If that doesn't make him a villain, what does?
He thought the vengeance would be against him and the the group. "We won't be here when the dust settles." Unfortuantely, he didn't realise that the SPs would exploit his weakness and send those under his charge (LA) to hell. Now he is trying to help people out again. If that doesn't make him a hero, what does?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #15
Dathan
Buttkicking for goodness

Ok, I'm going to de-lurk for once. As a comic book nut, I have to weigh in on this. Oh, I'm operating under the assumption the entire thread is spoilery, so I'm not worrying about hiding text.

First of all, I think Angel is a hero. He's just a flawed one, and let's face it, all the best ones are. I don't think anyone would disagree that over the course of the show he drew some seriously messed up conclusions. I feel comfortable in saying that I doubt anyone really thinks Cordy gave him that final vision to send them all on a kamikaze mission against the lackeys of the Senior Partners to what, annoy them? We all know what happened the last time Angel decided to go to the home office and attack the big bad evil at its source. Hello, Epiphany time?

As far as ATF goes, so far the biggest stretch for me is the idea that the whole of Los Angeles has been sucked into Hell. I'm sorry, but the idea that one of the most powerful, wealthy, and influential cities in the world could be plucked out of our dimension and not have serious repurcussions in the real world stretches my suspension of disbelief. Obviously Buffy season 8 is a year of real time behind ATF, but if a one-Starbucks-town like Sunnydale blowing up causes the government to freak, then the sudden disappearance of LA would raise some red flags. ATF is only one issue in, so I'll reserve judgement until at least number 5, but they were so busy trying to drop shock and awe bombs on Angel fans (*gasp* Wes is dead but not gone..*gasp* Connor is with Gwen and Nina..*gasp*Gunn is a vamp!) that it had almost no substance.

I hate to admit it, but the Buffy comic is a lot better. I've been enjoying it despite the fact I don't give a rat's ass about any of the Buffy characters. I highly recommend the Faith arc wrapping up right now.

Now, I'm a Cordy fan. If they wanted to reintroduce Cordelia as a character in ATF, it would be easy. I could totally see a servant of the Powers arriving in Hell to try to drag their Champion back out. I don't think they will. Lynch, as has already been mentioned, isn't a Cordy fan. He's way big on the Spike and Illyria love. I'm not holding my breath to see her mentioned at all unless as a throwaway comment.

That being said, I noticed something in Buffy season 8. In issue #6 Buffy and Xander have a little interlude where Buffy is talking about one of her dreams, and we all know how important Buffy's dreams are. A big monster chases her down, and right before killing her says, "The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen." I can only think of one "Queen" in the Buffyverse. Could Cordy be slotted to show up in the Buffy comic, possibly as a villain? If so, that would explain why she can't be in ATF. Of course, that could be wishful thinking and desire to see my favorite character back in some form or another.
Dathan is offline   Reply With Quote