Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Movie Mania!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
DamnSkippy

Gellar in New Batman Movie?

A blurb in the LA Times suggests SMG might be playing Harley Quinn in the sequel to Batman returns.

Quote:
Maggie Gyllenhaal has replaced Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, so speculation is that Gellar might be up for Harley Quinn. The basis of the rumor is from an indie filmmaker who says Gellar's reps turned his offer down because it might conflict with her work on "Batman."
I don't know this character. Is she right for it?
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
A blurb in the LA Times suggests SMG might be playing Harley Quinn in the sequel to Batman returns.

I don't know this character. Is she right for it?
I can only go by the 90's cartoon but I don't think she's a good fit. I guess it depends on how they play the character in the movie. In the cartoon she was the Joker's sidekick/girlfriend. She was a a psychotic killer but a funny one.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
argel
beloved cordelia

Harley Quinn didn't exist in the Batman universe before the character was created as a sidekick for the Joker in the Batman animated series. Harley was so well-liked and popular that the Batman comic-verse essentially integrated her into the mythology.

Anyone seen the movie <i>Guys and Dolls</i> with Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra? Well, Vivian Blaine's Adelaide reminds me of Harley in the kind of nasal, whiny, Jersey sounding way she talks. Harley is a pushover and addicted to "Mister J" and his approval, even though he treats her like crap. If you piss her off, she gets serious and deadly. Even so, she does have something of a conscience. I think she mostly commits crimes so that whoever is calling the shots will like her (i.e. Joker, Poison Ivy, etc.). Plus, she's a little touched in the head, I think.

So, Harley is a slightly insane, somewhat strident, approval addict with a temper that comes out if you threaten Mister J. She's also a blonde (when she's not wearing the jester outfit). So, if you think that sounds like a role SMG would fit well into, then maybe. But honestly, I'm not at all sure she'd be right for it.

***argel***
Team Cordy™ #17
Charisma's Bitch #17
The Place of Blue

Not a Color, But a State of Mind

Lisa: Wait, Xena can't fly!
Lucy Lawless: I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless!
Lisa: Oh.
argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by argel View Post
Anyone seen the movie <i>Guys and Dolls</i> with Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra? Well, Vivian Blaine's Adelaide reminds me of Harley in the kind of nasal, whiny, Jersey sounding way she talks.
Hey! She does not sound like a Jersey Girl...at least I hope not. That would mean I sound like Harley...no, no, no

Quote:
So, Harley is a slightly insane, somewhat strident, approval addict with a temper that comes out if you threaten Mister J. She's also a blonde (when she's not wearing the jester outfit). So, if you think that sounds like a role SMG would fit well into, then maybe. But honestly, I'm not at all sure she'd be right for it.
That actually describes her perfectly. I didn't know Harley was created for the cartoon until I read her wikipedia page.

I don't see SMG as Harley Quinn but it really all depends on how they write the character for the movie.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
DamnSkippy

Thanks, Morrigan and Argel. It sounds like she'll be pulling out the Daphne personna with a possibly bad Jersey accent. I think I've got the picture and she could possibly pull it off; I'm just not sure it's a character I'd like or find amusing no matter who played it. But if it were truly Adelaide-esque with a really good comedic actress, I could warm up to the character.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Livvie
nutcase

I've been a fairly big Harley fan since she first made her appearance. Something about her just amused the living heck out of me. Like her so much, had read fanfic about her. LOL

Some of the other places I frequent, her casting was almost as hotly debated as the casting for The Joker. I don't recall from any of the conversation I read that SMG ever came up.

To be honest, I don't think she is a good enough actress to capture the kind of manic insanity (or the accent) that is Harley. My personal pick is Isla Fisher. She had that kind of manic crazy down in Wedding Crashers. And I think with a good dialect coach, she could nail the accent.

SMG just doesn't seem to have the range or the acting chops, in my opinion. Especially when you put her up against Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Maggie G. She is going to stand out like a sore can't-act-her-way-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag thumb. She is a great choice for the latest teen horror or Scooby Doo movie but some of her scenery chewing in Cruel Intentions (one of my fave movies btw) should be enough to show this might be a bad fit.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
tojoson

Apparently no SMG OR Harley Quinn in the next Batman

http://www.mania.com/54341.html
Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
DamnSkippy

Thanks for that update, tojo. I don't know from H'wood sources. Is JoBlo a reliable source?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

I'd just like to renew my on-the-record fervent hope that Charisma Carpenter one day gets to play Catwoman. That is all.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
tojoson

Well, apparently Halle Berry doesn't want to do it for the JLA movie, so the job is open.

http://www.mania.com/54342.html
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I'd just like to renew my on-the-record fervent hope that Charisma Carpenter one day gets to play Catwoman. That is all.
I'll see that fervent hope and raise it to dear Lord hear my prayer.

*or any part that involves a skin tight leather pantsuit* - P.S. That was for Sam.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #12
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Oh my sweet Jesus YES!

I am with Deb here, I am praying my butt off for this.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
jerry

I saw that rumour, and never bought into it, since Harley Quinn would not fit into the very dark tone Nolan's Batman films are going for. I do think SMG could play that role pretty well, though. As her Buffybot work showed, she can do broad comedy when it's called for.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote