Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > Charisma Carpenter
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
orin

Smile charismas roles

hey this is my first post EVER!
I just wanted to know if because of the playboy pictures cc did, has that affeced her chances of gaining anyroles?
I also was wondering what people thought about the fact that her show wasnt picked up, and if this was due to the pictures she had done too?

thanxs hons! :
Old 06-13-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

I think the show wasn't picked up because hardly any sitcoms are getting picked up. (Remember that UPN didn't choose another sitcom over Charisma's; it went with another hour-long drama, thereby cutting out two sitcom spaces.) It's very tough times for that type of programming right now, with reality TV and hour-long dramas dominating the schedules -- which as Jake has observed shows Charisma's willingness to hold out for the right half-hour comedy as the high-risk gamble it is.

There's really no telling whether posing in Playboy has affected CC's career at this point, but remember that Jenny McCarthy's new sitcom was fully expected to be picked up and remains on the midseason-replacement watch list -- and Jenny McCarthy owes pretty much all her fame to posing in Playboy.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
brownsbros3

In my view posing for Playboy doesn't really help or hurt someone's career. If they have enough acting talent, they are going to land roles anyway.

This is my theory on why her show didn't get picked up. I think the reason is because the pilot wasn't filmed until three weeks before the fall schedules were announced. I think they would have had a better shot at getting picked up had they gotten the pilot finished sooner.

Don't lose heart though, because Charisma said there is still the possibility that "Like Cats and Dogs" may get picked up as a midseason replacement.
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
nodakskip

In my view I dont think her going topless in Playboy is going to hurt anything.

Posing for Playboy is almost like a Cosmo Cover these days. Its not that big of a deal. Playboy is a mainstream magazine. If anything it will only increase the demand for her.

Tv is run by ratings. Thats why when the woman picked for the Joey sitcome didnt test well, they moved to replace her. Now if you were a casting director and you had to pick between two women for a sitcom role, who would you pick?

1. An unknown who is just starting out, that is yes good looking but never had any roles.

or

2. A actress who has gotten great reviews for her comic performences and also has a body that men have tuned in just to see alone. And has a already made fanbase?

There are many men/women that would watch the worst show ever made if they saw Charismas name in the listings. And one of them could have a ratings box attached to their tv.

CBS is the most stuck up network in my view and yet the woman from JAG is in magazines in almost nothing all the time. Sex sells and thats what networks want.

She'll be fine.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 AM   #5
argel
beloved cordelia

Charisma's Playboy shoot was probably on the more 'conservative' end of the spectrum (I'm talking poses, angles, lighting, etc.), and plus, I seem to remember her getting some good press from it, so I doubt there will be too much negative fallout from it. Despite what some naysayers may be doing their damndest to spread around, Charisma's career is still alive and kicking--hard. Posing in Playboy didn't do anything to change that.

***argel***
Team Cordy™ #17
Charisma's Bitch #17
The Place of Blue

Not a Color, But a State of Mind

Lisa: Wait, Xena can't fly!
Lucy Lawless: I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless!
Lisa: Oh.
argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
rolandro

I had a post that mysteriously vanished. But what I basically said was: Charisma Carpenter did Playboy because she COULD. Most people - including a fair number of talented and good-looking television actresses - would not even get the chance. Charisma is THAT kind of photogenic. THAT kind of beautiful. AND - she's done respectable work as an actress. Playboy as a possibility for Charisma has been floating around for YEARS - going back to earlier shoots that CC had done (where the experience was not so nice.

The fact is, she's sort of damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't. Playboy was an option - one that she chose at age 33 after she'd had a pregnancy through which she gained 50 pounds. It's a risk, but again, it's a calculated one. To her credit, CC is refreshingly candid. She doesn't go all SMG and act like she's ROYALTY, as if the very thought of posing nude somehow interferes with her godgiven right to make Hollywood money. (I'm not anti-SMG, but she works as a good stand-in for that mind set. Be careful, though, Sarah - you might want to reconsider that high-altitude tone when you get to be 33.) CC isn't that kind of hung up. She knew, as did her management, that the magazine would only be on the shelf for 30 days and once pulled it would be over. Even the internet would only have a dozen or so well-known photos to shop around. But on the other hand, when it came time for casting folks to talk, the 'over the hill' argument could be countered with 'but she did Playboy back in June.'

And looked Damned Good.

The other post was way better, btw.

Last edited by rolandro; 06-23-2004 at 12:41 AM.
rolandro is offline   Reply With Quote