Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Miscellaneous > Forum Announcements/Help
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Elizabeth

Question Impolite to use another's site in your sig?

I have a general question for the mods or from other peoples' experience on message boards...

Is it considered impolite to use another person's site in your sig? I mean, what if someone is using your own personal site in their sig and they are not affiliated with you in any way, shape or form? I realize there is nothing about this in the official forum rules, however, what do people consider the "unspoken" rule about this?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

"Jesus is just the name of the man who mows my lawn." -Gemma, Sons of Anarchy

http://midnighttempest.wordpress.com/
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Shirley
Kickin It Old School

I wouldn't do it.

Personally, I think putting a site in your sig, makes it look like it is YOUR site. Its almost like taking credit for someone else's work.

Unless you CLEARLY state that it isn't your's (which some people don't do.).

If the person were given permission, I would think it okay, but if they just do it? Then yes, I consider it an unspoken rule that you just shouldn't, out of courtesy.

PIMPASS STALKER WHORE #716
Team Cordy #202
Fangirl-Squee[dot]net
My "Fandom" Live Journal
My "Real Life" Live Journal
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

I'm with Shirley in that linking a site in your .sig implies at least partial ownership and should be avoided under many circumstances.

That said, I see people link to fandom rings and cliques and hub sites and what have you all the time, and they don't necessarily own those sites. In fact I link the Team Cordy site in my own .sig despite the fact that all I really ever did for it was write a stupid facetious mission statement. It can be intended or interpreted as a gesture of support, and if the site at least nominally serves a collective of members, it should be acceptable for members to link it.

As with anything else, it's probably a judgment call. Hub sites and cliques probably are all right -- but, say, a big media or concept site, I'd say not. (Personal blogs pretty much are self-evident, I think -- no linking unless it's yours.)
Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
Shirley
Kickin It Old School

Quote:
Originally posted by Penny Century

That said, I see people link to fandom rings and cliques and hub sites and what have you all the time, and they don't necessarily own those sites. In fact I link the Team Cordy site in my own .sig despite the fact that all I really ever did for it was write a stupid facetious mission statement. It can be intended or interpreted as a gesture of support, and if the site at least nominally serves a collective of members, it should be acceptable for members to link it.
Oh definitly. In fact, most sites like that ENCOURAGE it, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Like you said, blogs and journals should really be kept out unless it is your own. That just seems like common knowledge. But I guess you never know with some people.

PIMPASS STALKER WHORE #716
Team Cordy #202
Fangirl-Squee[dot]net
My "Fandom" Live Journal
My "Real Life" Live Journal
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
Elizabeth

Quote:
[i]As with anything else, it's probably a judgment call. Hub sites and cliques probably are all right -- but, say, a big media or concept site, I'd say not.[/b]
So, in your very own and very special personal opinions which I value above the purest gold, where in the HELL would Midnight Tempest fall under those categories. I mean, I serve my vidders, who have the strictest permissions to use it in their sigs in certain places but as of yet I do not serve a community (unless you call the entire internet a "community" and then you'd have to cover everyone), but I digress. I guess basically, I am seeing MT's URL in other people's sigs and I not only didn't give them permission but I don't really know them. I realize that they might be trying to show their "MT spirit" by advertising my URL in their sig but my site sucks alot of bandwidth so I have a tendency to not advertise my site indiscriminately. Am I making sense here or is this just 2am ramblings....?

"Jesus is just the name of the man who mows my lawn." -Gemma, Sons of Anarchy

http://midnighttempest.wordpress.com/
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:52 AM   #6
Mab
The orbit of your hips

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth
So, in your very own and very special personal opinions which I value above the purest gold, where in the HELL would Midnight Tempest fall under those categories.
It falls under the big media/concept site, in my opinion.

Please keep in mind that I'm speaking as someone who has spent many a late (late, late, late, late) night hearing you scream, yell, cry, bitch, and moan while you try to make your site perfect, so I might be kinda biased.

Obnoxious Delusional Sycophant
Mab is offline   Reply With Quote