Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Gabriella
Until we bleed...

Which BTVS/ATS Character Do You Think Evolved The Most?

I started this poll --> BTVS/ATS Character That Evolved The Most <-- and it got me thinking - CC bias aside, which character do you guys think evolved the most over the course of the series?

My vote *does* genuinely go to Cordelia here but what about ya'll?

A passionate 'ship is always about the person you want to BE hooking up with the person you want to SCREW - samluvharrison

Charisma's Bitch #186~Team Cordy #186~Gutter Gal #186

She acts like summer and walks like rain
Gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
DamnSkippy

I don't think there's any question that it was Cordelia although I see the Buffy/Spike fans are out and voting.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Hmm...

I'm torn between Cordelia, Anya and Willow.

I'm not Willow's biggest fan, but if you look at her in the first episode and then in the last episode, there's no denying how far she's come. We might not have liked how she evolved, but she certainly evolved.

As for Cordelia and Anya... Once they both split up with Xander, they could have gone back to how they'd been before. But they both chose to stay and fight the bad guys - both became 'good' when they'd started off as 'bad'/'nasty'.

They were the ones that could have walked away - but didn't.

Anya's journey is one that's always fascinated me, and one that has always been believable to me.

In fact, I'm pushed a little to say Anya.

Cordelia always had an intrinsic good side, Anya was downright evil at one point.

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Pythia

Well, CC got my vote, of course but I became an Angel fan rather than a Buffy fan because all the characters evolved, and for the most part in a logical way.
The Scoobies too often were stuck in a rut, then thrown big personality changes happened. As Bert says we may not like Willow's evolution but if the writers hadn't let her have a relatively easy time with magic or catastrophes, she may have changed in a better way. Also about Willow, I hate that Giles only ever got involved with her magic to berate her.
Pythia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Cordelia always had an intrinsic good side, Anya was downright evil at one point.
I can see that and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. I'm just working out my own thoughts on this.

In my mind Anya's journey wasn't really about her choosing to be good so much as her adapting and taking what she could get.

She was born as innocent and good as Cordy. She was, in the beginning, a normal human woman. She became evil after she was wronged by her man and became so bitter she chose, perhaps without thinking, to be a vengeance demon.

Once she was no longer a demon (not through her own choice), she had to adapt to her situation. Did she "devolve" into the good person she started out being or "evolve" into one? And was she really a good person or just acting like one to fit in?

When her life wasn't what she wanted, she chose, once again, to go back to evil when she was wronged by Xander. Finally, though, she chooses to sacrifice herself for good but it backfired with Halfrek dying instead of her.

I don't know. It feels like to me that Anya never really made the finish line in evolving because of this roller coaster she was on - good/evil/good/evil. She seemed to me to kind of stay in the same pattern. Even in the end, she never felt totally redeemed and on the side of good. It was always like she only did what she did because she didn't have anything else to do. Like if she was given a better option - and that option was evil - she would have chosen it at any moment because she had no moral compass of her own despite her one moment of clarity.

Cordy, OTOH, once she fully realized how her choices would affect innocent lives, chose the difficult path again and again despite knowing full well what a nice path the selfish one was having grown up with everything handed to her.

She chose to keep her visions when she could have chosen to be famous. She chose to keep her visions when she could have gotten rid of them knowing they were killing her. She chose for her last wish to help Angel in his redemption instead of something for herself (although kissing him may have been a consideration in her decision making).

Yes, she was never truly evil like Anya, but she didn't take the easy way out like I feel Anya did 99% of the time. She also had the options of choosing, you could say, the evil or not righteous path and she refused them time and time again.

I do agree Anya changed and grew so it is a difficult choice, but IMO Cordy's evolution was a continous path that was clear and evident and led to her final redemption whereas Anya felt to me like she was still a work in progress when she died.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
samsmom

I think I know what you're saying DS, Anya died when she was beginning to choose doing right for the sake of doing right, and not because she loved Xander and stayed for him.

It would be like Cordelia dying right after TSILA, after her first major realization. Anya was getting there in s7, and they could have done so much with her character after Selfless or Help or whatever the name of the ep is where she chose not to be a demon anymore. But they wasted her the way they wasted so many other opportunities, and all she did after that was be bitchy to Buffy.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
I think I know what you're saying DS, Anya died when she was beginning to choose doing right for the sake of doing right, and not because she loved Xander and stayed for him.

It would be like Cordelia dying right after TSILA, after her first major realization. Anya was getting there in s7, and they could have done so much with her character after Selfless or Help or whatever the name of the ep is where she chose not to be a demon anymore. But they wasted her the way they wasted so many other opportunities, and all she did after that was be bitchy to Buffy.
Always the queen of brevity. Thanks for the rescue. That's what all my rambling was about.

Maybe Anya's journey was the more realistic one since she was so flawed and she fell from the right path so many times. And if she had completed that journey I might have to agree with Bert. But she didn't so I'm happy with choosing Cordy.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
Always the queen of brevity. Thanks for the rescue. That's what all my rambling was about.

Maybe Anya's journey was the more realistic one since she was so flawed and she fell from the right path so many times. And if she had completed that journey I might have to agree with Bert. But she didn't so I'm happy with choosing Cordy.
Good Point well made. By both of you.

You win... A) because it's 2.35 in the morning as i write this. B) I have far too many vodkas inside of me. And C) Because damn it - its Cordy!

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
B) I have far too many vodkas inside of me.
I love drunken decisions. They may not always be smart, but they're usually the truth.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
jerry

I thought Wesley evolved the most, but the case can be made for either Cordy or Anya. Sadly, the Whedonverse punished all of them for growing as characters.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
Luna
The heart never dies

I also voted for Cordy. I think her character has evolved the most because first she was bitchy and then she got caring and she even chose to keep the visions to help Angel fighting the evil. She cared so much that she even had given her own life for the mission. But I don´t really think her death was heroic because she had been fooled by Skip and got killed by Jasmine in the end.