Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Vincent Kartheiser Interview

VK gave an interview in which he talks about his AtS experience.

http://www.giantmag.com/2007/09/dvds/mad-man-talks/

The parts about AtS start on page 2.

One thing he says is that he learned early on that any ideas or reservations he had were going to be ignored.

Here's a quote.

I showed up to play that character and I had a lot of ideas. And they didn’t like any of those ideas. That’s okay, I’m in the business of having my ideas rejected. But after about 7 or 8 episodes of coming in with ideas and realizing it just didn’t matter, I became really complacent and jaded and angry at the project. I felt like it wasn’t a collaboration,

He also says he tried to tell the PTB he thought they were making some big mistakes with the Connor character. I'm going to guess it was the stuff involving Cordy, but that's just a guess.

I actually found the link to the article on another board and, the way VK's bitterness and ungratefulness was described, I almost didn't read it. I thought he'd totally gone off on a tear, insulting everyone and everything related to AtS and, in general, saying things that would make me really dislike him. But, reading the article, all I saw was a young actor who went into a project expecting one thing, who was disappointed things didn't turn out that way. Plus, what he says seems to gel with things some of the other actors have said.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
samsmom

I read that interview.

VK's honesty goes a long way to confirming a lot of what we already suspected about the last two years of AtS.

I think he was talking about the Concord thing too, Dannyblue, and I can't imagine anyone but the most ass-kissingest Joss lackey thought that *that* was a good storyline.

Thanks for the heads up.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

Thanks for the article. It's really ashame at how bitter some of the old cast gets when mentioning ATS or Buffy

And, a lot of people still wonder why David refuses to talk about Angel. I can't blame him, CC, or even Vincent.

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
LisaMarie514
Lurking...who me?

I like to pretend that season 4 and 5 of AtS never happened

"Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping... ...waiting... And though unwanted... ...unbidden... it will stir...open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" Angelus - Passion BTVS S2

LM's Ramblings
LisaMarie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
samsmom

Oh, there was a s4 and s5?

I was too busy with my fingers in my ears and my eyes closed, going "If I can't hear you or see you, you're not real."
Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
jerry

VK always impressed me as an actor, even though I hated Connor. So I can see why he would have been frustrated.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
starlet2367
glitterati

When you combine that with CC's comments from the recent con, plus this interview with James Marsters, the picture gets clearer about what it was really like to work on an ME production.

I think the only reason the FF people were still so happy (and healthy looking) was that Joss was still happy with them. They hadn't had a chance to find out what it meant to work for him when he stopped thinking they were shiny.
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
samsmom

Thanks for the link, Kel.

I think it's safe to assume that Joss comes over very gung-ho in the beginning with his actors, but after a while, the shiny wore off and he treated them like toys he didn't want to play with anymore but had to.

The FF people should be glad they were cancelled before that happened.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
fiddly

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlet2367 View Post
When you combine that with CC's comments from the recent con, plus this interview with James Marsters, the picture gets clearer about what it was really like to work on an ME production.

I think the only reason the FF people were still so happy (and healthy looking) was that Joss was still happy with them. They hadn't had a chance to find out what it meant to work for him when he stopped thinking they were shiny.
I don't suppose you have a link to CC's interview?

Love

Fidd

ETS: I think it's interesting that VK thinks Spike bought the 'shot to the arm' Ats needed where as JM thinks he only ever seemed to get minimal attention. You wonder how JW kept his franchise going for as long as he did most of his cast seem really bitter about the whole experience!!!
And, honestly? I'll be damned if Joss fucking Whedon breaks this board apart. We survived S4, we survived Charisma's firing, we're surviving the mess of S5. We're stronger than we think. Courteously donated by Lala247

Everything is going to be fine in the end, if it's not fine, it's not the end.

Last edited by fiddly; 09-08-2007 at 12:51 PM.
fiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddly View Post
I don't suppose you have a link to CC's interview?
There's a whole thread with pictures and links to different blogs and YouTube clips from the con HERE.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
jean-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddly View Post

ETS: I think it's interesting that VK thinks Spike bought the 'shot to the arm' Ats needed where as JM thinks he only ever seemed to get minimal attention. You wonder how JW kept his franchise going for as long as he did most of his cast seem really bitter about the whole experience!!!
Oh, JM did bring a shot to the arm of the show. It was a lethal injection mind, but it was definitely a shot. How JM can say he got minimum attention is baffling. He got a fraction less screen time than Angel, if not equal screen time. Him and his relationship with Angel were the forefront of S5 at the expense of others, IMO, so minimum attention is way off.

Interesting interview though. Like others have said, the actors all seem very disgruntled when it comes to the show and Joss. Maybe it's not so much Joss. Maybe it's those who took over in his absence. JW was off doing Firefly at the time. He just decided the story.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Luna
The heart never dies

Thanks for the interview!

Vincent also speaks out what we all have thought. So another actor of the AtS cast who wasn´t happy with the storyline.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
LordKain
Devil Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlet2367 View Post

I know what you mean about the healthy looking part 90% of both casts Buffy and Angel turned into major alcoholics while working with Whedon and had been drinking heavy amounts for over 3 years it wasn't until both shows were of the air that that most of the cast got healthy again.
LordKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #14
Bert
The Evil Potato Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKain View Post
I know what you mean about the healthy looking part 90% of both casts Buffy and Angel turned into major alcoholics while working with Whedon and had been drinking heavy amounts for over 3 years it wasn't until both shows were of the air that that most of the cast got healthy again.
And have you got a source for that statistic?

I was aware of NB - but I never realised anyone else - let alone 90% of the cast - were alcoholics. Who else turned to drink?

At Weekends My Name Is Ernie
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
jean-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
And have you got a source for that statistic?

I was aware of NB - but I never realised anyone else - let alone 90% of the cast - were alcoholics. Who else turned to drink?
Look at DB. He got fat in Season 5 and had been gaining weight since Season 3. As soon as Ats ended, he became as thin and good looking as before. I don't know if that's down to drink, but it's down to something.