Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2003, 01:04 AM   #46
KarKar

I still think someone did offend the gods of irony by having In the Dark episode run the same night as the season premiere. I have to admit though I still like his little narration. “Quickly! To the Angelmobile!” I’m easily amused I admit.

I think for me this was the last of the real Spike who was a danger/Big Bad. Even before the puppy got neutered he was kind of beaten when he was left in an abandoned warehouse with his hair on fire. Kind of pathetic.

Remember the thrill of recognizing where a scene in the credits same from? It’s crying girl! I love when the guy pops out and he looks like of like Angel. Or DB’s skinny little cousin.

This episode always reminded me of Beauty and the Beasts in how it uses demons as a metaphor for domestic violence and addiction.

Speaking of beasts, I never noticed before that Oz and Angel had the same hairdresser.

And did anyone else notice Doyle in the blue shirt and black leather jacket? Unlike that bland fugly stuff from yesterday that blue brings out those amazing eyes and the black leather’s always in style.

BTW, since just about everyone can be slashed, does anyone know of any Oz/Doyle slash? I’m thinking there’s got to be a couple of good explanations why Doyle calls Oz Bam Bam.

It’s weird but did anyone else think of The Wish when they saw this episode? Seeing Oz with those little bows and the van, he looked like the White Hat who wouldn’t give up on Sunnydale.

Really weird OT question: does anyone know when Charisma got her rosary tattoo? Last episode they showed her bare wrist prominently. Now she’s got the bulky bracelets. I remember wondering what happened to Queen C that she was wearing rag tag accessories.

But I really miss that old brick set. Loved the sliding doors and the huge garage. I also love/miss characters like Frankie Tripod. I think he’s going to be on the Soprano’s this season. He should be anyway with that name.

They really poured on the Doyle/Cordelia vibe in this one. No wonder the websites were popping up like mushrooms. That look in his eyes when she figured out Frankie’s nickname was kind of blatant.

Did anyone ever see the video of Angel and Spike to Bush’s “Chemicals Between Us?” That fight between Angel and Spike I think was the bulk of it. Probably the best video in matching the action shots and the music.

I loved Angel in Rachel’s apartment. Emerging from the shadows in the corner and carefully skirting the pool of sunlight from the window.

Between the film noir flavor and the vampire angle, Ats did a good job with the light and shadows, especially the earlier seasons compared to the sunny, happy Sunnydale.

I like the silhouettes of Spike and the others in the warehouse, Angel moving shadow to shadow, those gunholes in the ceilings. Especially the office and Angel’s apartment. Cordelia’s upstairs in the light, he’s in the dark below. I miss the sewers and the foggy shadows in the tunnels. Maybe I’m just jonesing for Beauty and the Beast.

Speaking of his apartment below, I remember some club sent him some appliance that they kept in the kitchen. Was it the coffee maker?

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that the same girl who thought “Del” stood for “Delivery” is generating invoices? I guess it depends on your motivation. And the person who’s motivating you.

I felt so sad for her when she was gushing over Oz. This was the same guy who she couldn’t bother to even address properly or say hellow. Shows how isolated and shut off she’s already become from her life in Sunnydale. Something she’s got in common with Angel.

BTW, was it me or was she a little defensive about Angel being a detective with a hat and gun? I guess the protective vibe goes both ways.

She still seems to be into that gear when they go into the Batcave. Her little comments about Buffy, upset that she didn’t even send Angel a note. But she’s aware of him enough to register his look and back off her criticisms of Buffy. Those were more or less a reflex after three years of high school so it’s become habitual.

When she talked about being one of those topics she should avoid I wondered who talked to her about it recently? And who did she take seriously enough to listen? Certainly not Giles.

Also love her comments on him sitting around brooding. Even if he’s downstairs most of the time she’s aware of him and what he’s going through.

Oh, look at her smile for him when Doyle’s describing what he can do with the ring. But then she’s reacting to his anxiety over the ring. Really noticeable next to Oz’s wooden man bit.

I like her little wave and smile to him as she leaves. One of those nonverbal flourishes that added texture compared to most situations where the actress would just walk out.

BTW, did Angel make a lot of clothing comments on BtVS? Now he’s complaining about Spike’s accessories clashing. Wonder if he’s been indoctrinated by Cordelia already. Or just sneaking her “Marie Claire.”

Notice how Angel’s between her and Spike. Who said chivalry’s dead?

Did you notice that Cordelia didn’t even wait till Spike had left to ask if Angel was ok? That check on Angel drive is already there.

And yet his immediate reaction is her safety and having Doyle take her to his place. Takes one obsessive vamp to understand another when a pretty girl’s involved. Love how she’s concerned about him and asks what he’s going to do. He looks at her directly when he answers. They’re looking at each other while she seems to pause and nods before she agrees to go.

I’m probably reaching but did anyone think of B/A when Angel was talking about bad, dysfunctional relationships that hurt and are more a habit than healthy. The pleasure that just doesn’t last because the pain is inevitable. He’s in that withdrawal phase himself as he’s just left Sunnydale but hey, let’s move onto healthier, real relationships. “The kind of love that you [he, Cordelia] deserve.” Right?

I love that boy in plum. Really brings out that vampirish sallow look. Got that Purple Hippo Garanimals on. Doesn’t quite match her lilac pants.

She really is nervous for Angel judging by the way she’s crouched over, anxious while Doyle’s on the phone with him.

Oh! She’s so worried for him while she’s sitting with the phone in her lap! That quiet, breathy voice worrying about things going badly for him. Wonder if she sat up all night in that chair waiting for him to call. From her expression she can’t even swallow Doyle’s fake assurances about hanging ten. Or maybe it was the image of him and the bikini babes. Eh, probably the image of Spike burning him up from the inside.

Liked Marcus’ comments about Angel having something to loose. He can smell it on his soul. Now since he didn’t have anything to loose in the pilot that kind of narrows the field to Doyle and Cordelia.

I love that confrontation she has with Spike. Her physical realization that he was telling the truth about dying before the arrow left the bow. Not a big deal but still a nice touch by Charisma. Just like her reaction to the news that Angel was being tortured. She’s rattled but can still be strident with Spike. Heh, I love his little “duh” comment.

I think this was the first time we saw her in the sewers. Probably the only reason she’s down there is her concern for Angel. She certainly wasn’t happy about it the next time. You can tell she’s anxious, immediately goes to the next step mentally when they find the ring. But not really able to think clearly which Doyle points out.

I was kind of impressed that she could be snarky with Spike on the wharf despite the fact that he had her so shaken up last time by his threat of killing her. Doesn’t hesitate to follow him as he leads her to Angel. I guess when you’ve got the right motivation…

I love how she tries to rush to him despite Spike in her way. That raw way she calls his name. I totally love how he responded to her, called her name when he can’t even raise his head. Specifically hers, not Doyle’s. And check out her almost anguished look when she realizes how much pain he’s in.

She’s so worried about him in the van that she’s trying to get him to a hospital. Uh, Cordelia, vampire? Remember?

Still though I think it’s becoming typical to see her focus on him when he’s hurt, trying to derail them from following Marcus. Her feelings are so strong that she’s the one calling the spade a shovel. Angel being in bad shape outweighing Marcus’ thing for kids.

I guess this is the episode where she becomes his official worrier. Like when they find him on the beach, she’s the one who asks if he’s ok. Wants him to lie down. She reaches out to touch him in more ways than one and almost violates that “no touching” policy. Even when Doyle tells her to leave him alone she’s standing there worried with her arms crossed.

I have to wonder who told him once or twice that he was a brooding addict? I don’t see Buffy noticing something like that or Xander/Giles caring. That leaves either Doyle or Cordelia as the ones who are around him enough to know him that well and since Doyle’s the one who’s asking, guess who’s left? Say the girl who was making “moping” observations earlier.

BTW, what’s this with Ats on Tuesdays at 11? Are they showing the new episodes then?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:36 AM   #47
Angelia

Quote:
Originally posted by KarKar

I’m probably reaching but did anyone think of B/A when Angel was talking about bad, dysfunctional relationships that hurt and are more a habit than healthy. The pleasure that just doesn’t last because the pain is inevitable. He’s in that withdrawal phase himself as he’s just left Sunnydale but hey, let’s move onto healthier, real relationships. “The kind of love that you [he, Cordelia] deserve.” Right?
You're not reaching. I haven't re-watched this ep in quite a while and although I remember Angel talking to Rachel in her apartment I didn't really remember any of the conversation they had but watching the ep today I was thinking the exact same thing as you. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Quote:
BTW, what’s this with Ats on Tuesdays at 11? Are they showing the new episodes then?
After watching the promo I was checking my digital cable guide for Tuesday and it looks like they're starting with "Deep Down" so it looks like they'll be re-running S4. Which is strange because after looking at the description for the Charmed episode that's being shown and checking the WB site it looks like they'll be re-running whatever Charmed ep that was shown the Sunday before. So they'll be showing this season's Charmed and last season's AtS.

ETA: Just checked the TNT schedule for next Tuesday to confirm and they are indeed showing "Deep Down" and "Ground State" the Tuesday after so it looks like a go for S4.

Thanks for the subtext reports Kar. Like everyone else, I'm loving them.

I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out. ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Last edited by Angelia; 10-02-2003 at 01:41 AM.
Angelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:58 AM   #48
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

I think AtS draws many, many, many parallels between B/A and unhealthy relationships. (Like "Loyalty", where Angel says he used to think love had to be painful, and make you miserable, but now he knew better.) AtS was all about Angel pulling away from Buffy. Well, until some time in season 4.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:45 AM   #49
starlet2367
glitterati

What really interested me about In The Dark was the last scene, with Angel declaring that the Gem wasn't his redemption, and that he needed to stay in the dark to help the folks who needed a champion there.

Contrast that to this season's sellout, in which Angel not only helps the people who live in the day, he *is* a person who lives in the day.

Kinda makes you realize just how far down the path they've traveled, doesn't it?

Kelley
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #50
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

It makes you realize that Joss has failed his own concept. Not because it couldn't work, but because he just doesn't care anymore, I guess.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:07 PM   #51
starlet2367
glitterati

Oh, lordy, children, it was Rm w/a vu, one of my all-time faves. "You're the biggest pain I've ever met!" Wah! How do I love this ep? Cordy-as-cactus. Cordy-as-broody babe. Cordy as regaining-my-power bitch. Angel's hands on her face! Wah!

Kar! Where's that subtext thread, babe? I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Kel
starlet2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 PM   #52
QueenC
All.About.Her...

There really was quite a lot of touching in this episode wasn't there!?

And I have tos ay that I have never really been one who thought DB was all that hot -- thought he and CC looked really good together, but never been one with the drool -- but tonite I really noticed how good he looked in these early episodes!

Lori

Charisma's Bitch #118
QueenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:03 PM   #53
LaLa247
Wooo!

Agreed, Lori. Boreanaz did look handsome in the early years- extremely handsome. It was brought out by those little smiles he did. Very nice.

Watching these episodes (Although I have them on DVD, but I digress) also makes me miss Doyle. A lot.

And then I wonder how it would've been if Xander had crossed over and not Wes. How it would've been different, if it would be better or worse, if C/X could've survived or if C/A would've taken over, if Xander would've kept his eye...then I get some Sprite.

Which ep comes next? Not IWRY, right? God, no.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #54
Trillian
Too orangey for crows

Quote:
Originally posted by LaLa247
Which ep comes next? Not IWRY, right? God, no.
Think it's the whammy stick.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:44 PM   #55
tojoson

next up is sense ans sensativity, then bachelor party, IWRY is scheduled for next wednesday
Old 10-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #56
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Yeah, Monday it's "Sense and Sensitivity"...and episode I love for that one line alone. This is one of the season one eps I had on tape. And, you know what's sad? I watched the scene with The Line over and over again, but refused to admit it was because of any C/A factor. Nope, I was watching for...uh, for...the comedy! Yeah, that's it.

You know what I really liked about RWAV. Okay, they seemed to be going for C/D. Doyle's feelings were obvious. But, in the last scene, when the goons break in with the guns, Cordy is standing between Angel and Doyle. She could've gone either way. But whose side did she immediately attach herself to? Starts with an A.

I don't think I noticed that the first time. All C/A-ness tended to pass me by since I was kinda pulling for Cordy to be with Doyle if it would keep her away from Angel. I think that's why I don't remember Cordy and Angel interacting as much in these early episodes as they actually did.

Boy, watching these eps is fun! Especially with my C/A eyes open.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:12 PM   #57
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Let's not forget "The Bachelor Party" and perhaps my own favorite deep-subtext line ever: those three little words, "You work, Pierce?" It's in the delivery -- the buffalo stance, the hooded eyes, the forced lightness of tone that poorly disguises the edge of menace. Boreanaz is good at that stuff. I remember being shocked at how good he could be.

You could see why Cordy didn't want to bring another date by the office, even if that didn't work well, either.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:55 PM   #58
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally posted by tojoson
next up is sense ans sensativity, then bachelor party, IWRY is scheduled for next wednesday
YES! My ass is workin' on Wednesday. Woo!

My C/A radar kicks in during Expecting. Lots and lots of moments there- especially in the gun club with the whole can of "whup ass" Angel brings. He's so pissed this dude violated Cordy...oh, yes- memories...
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:30 PM   #59
tojoson

i loved the part where doyle is complaining about cordy being in angels room, and mentions angel's forehead, the way angel reaches up and touches his forehead, and the look he gets on his face.

it's the small stuff like that that MADE (yah-past tense)) the show great
Old 10-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #60
Penny Century
Rich girl, superhero

Quote:
Really weird OT question: does anyone know when Charisma got her rosary tattoo? Last episode they showed her bare wrist prominently. Now she’s got the bulky bracelets.
Don't know the exact date, but she definitely had it by the Season 2 winter hiatus. It showed up prominently in her early-2001 In Style spread.