Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #31
Livvie
nutcase

So...we've got Angel saving yet another blonde in distress with Rachel. I have to wonder if it was as deliberate on the writers/casting agents parts as it seems to us viewers. The Rachel sidestory is actually my least favorite part about this whole episode.

Who doesn't love the Spike speech? I mean, it's just so funny. And Spike should not be talking about hair gel. Maybe if he didn't use so many flammable hair products, he wouldn't have caught fire so easily in the warehouse. Know what I'm saying?!

Now, the speech aside the best line for me is Spike's compliment to Cordy. Did he even notice her in Sunnydale or even see her? He compliments her not once (you look smashing) but twice (about her hair). Oh Spike.

Also Spike, always in the truth teller role, pretty much says what most non-B/Aers were thinking. That Buffy moved on pretty damn fast to Parker.

I love me some Oz too. I am the first to admit that since BTVS was a B/Afest and there is no canon way C/A would be together, I wanted Cordy/Oz. As strange as it sounds. I think since they were pushing Xander/Willow so hard there for a bit, just put them together and let Cordy and Oz have some good times. She could just go on about whatever she wants, Oz could just smile and make a quip. Perfect!

C/Aness: There is, of course, the warehouse scene where Cordelia and Doyle come in with Spike. Cordelia shouts Angel, Angel shouts Cordelia. Plus the whole she is worried about him, about why he hasn't called. More than just a boss/employee concern it seems to me.

This isn't directly but Angel kind of foreshadows his own relationship later in the series to Rachel

Angel: “You’re at a crossroads, I know. It’s either go for the easy fix and wait for the consequences, or take the hard road and go with faith.”
Rachel: “Oh, god. You’re not from that freaky church on Sunset, are you?” Steps away from him.
Angel: “In yourself. That kind of faith. - What I’m saying is: if you leave Lenny for good, it’ll hurt. But eventually you’ll be stronger for it. And maybe you’ll find your way to the kind of love you deserve.

Inconsistencies: If I don’t get it pretty soon, I’m going to stake me old Sire right here and now! -Spike. Oh yes, once more the writers put Angel as Spike's sire, only to change it later. Me, I personally like Dru being Spike's sire. I like that Angelus destroyed Dru, made her completely fruitcakes, rather than Spike being Dru's sire. Spike doesn't go in for the long torture, as this episode illustrates.

Weirdness: Does the green screen scene at the end with the sunset bother anyone else? It just looks so very very backdrop-y fake to me.

Fashion choices: Angel's got the wine colored button up again! So he does have some color in his wardrobe. It's just...dark colors.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #32
tojoson

What was your favorite scene?
Every scene with Cordy in that tight orange top (hey, I might be old, but I'm not dead.)
Cordy's smile --"Invoice"
I love how her face never moves when Oz asks if they're all detectives, and she says "No."

What was your favorite line?
"Are they always like this?"--"No, were usually laconic."

C/A factor?
Generally light. Concern, and affection yes, but the family vibe isn't there--yet.

Anything that just sticks in your craw?
Oh where do I start?
Spike on the building dissing Angel, He was only about 25 feet away, but Angel couldn't hear him??? Where's Angel's vampire hearing? Conner could hear Gunn and Fred talking at the seashore about 100 feet away, but Angel couldn't hear spike???
Cordy and Doyle met Spike around sunset, but after, they followed him to the warehouse, rescued Angel, went back and fought Marcus, walked on the beach, went home, Angel changed clothes, then went up to the roof, AND THE SUN IS JUST GOING DOWN! God they must be fast. Plus, the angle of the sunbeams hitting Spike on the head says afternoon, not evening. Plus, how did they know that Marcus had the ring, and where he went?
Sorry for the rant, but I'm sort of a stickler for obvious continuity errors.

Last edited by tojoson; 06-07-2010 at 04:41 PM.
tojoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #33
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Now, the speech aside the best line for me is Spike's compliment to Cordy. Did he even notice her in Sunnydale or even see her? He compliments her not once (you look smashing) but twice (about her hair). Oh Spike.
Cordy/Spike is a personal favorite of mine, kind of like Pam/Eric on True Blood, they'd just be fabulous together, so much.

Quote:
Spike on the building dissing Angel, He was only about 25 feet away, but Angel couldn't hear him??? Where's Angel's vampire hearing? Conner could hear Gunn and Fred talking at the seashore about 100 feet away, but Angel couldn't hear spike???
I totally understand the nitpick but they can throw continuity and logic out the window a thousand times over if it result in Spike's rooftop monologue
Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #34
dacian_goddess

Fair warning: iRamble. (And it's two am my time, so I'm not even watching the episode tonight...)

Ah, yeah. My least favourite theme, I think, from when the show was still finding its legs, was this whole blonde recurrence that they just wouldn't. let. go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
it’ll hurt. But eventually you’ll be stronger for it. And maybe you’ll find your way to the kind of love you deserve.
I remember the first time I watched, when I had fresh eyes and was naïve to the workings of 'once you want Buffy you're never ever over it' corner of Joss's brain... I fondly imagined this was Angel making a clean break, and a simple, no agenda, no foreshadowing, roundabout reference to his reason for leaving Sunnyhell. That maybe with this new beginning, he'd looked the reality of his former relationship in the face and seen it under the harsh light of day. Because,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
since BTVS was a B/Afest
Indisputably. Still there was one filter I really couldn't change where my perspective was / is concerned -- Whatever angle it is I came from with BtVS, I can honestly say not even when B/A got the best writing ever did I take away anything more from it than a sense of manufacture. I don't wanna turn this into the 'deconstructing B/A' dissertation, but throughout the B/Afest I kept reading certain interactions like Angel was... playing her, tbh. Playing with or into Buffy's expectations that love is supposed to be Romeo and Juliet, and calling what he felt 'love' because what else could it be when it was the soul feeling it. IDK. Maybe it was some weird advance insight on what was supposed to be under the surface, tempered by the conscience. Maybe it was an inability to reconcile 250 years of clearly (if diabolically) intelligent existence with the inexplicable belief that it takes a few longing looks without substance to decide you're in love and that it's the greatest love of all*. Or maybe I sound like I'm on the loopy juice right now. ;P

(* Though clearly the concept is right up Buffy's alley -- more than any perceived pressure to move on, they tried to make it pretty clear she read a deep emotional connection into her interaction with Parker... Spike's insight would have been a bitch and a half, had he been around for the whole of that thing.)

At any rate, I know I spent a good couple of episodes hoping some line or some character moment heralded a clean break, from Buffy's shadow-of-a-personality Angel to Angel-Angel.

Regarding Spike's sire comment. Since BtVS canon firmly establishes the lineage (via the Rites of Elginor, for instance), I've been taking the whole Sire reference to be a relational thing. Foremost because of Spike's emotional attachment, in that he seems the kind of romantic who would put Dru on a pedestal far above that of sire. Makes it conceivable to see him transferring the title to the 'next in line' or something. More pragmatically, I think Spike learned the game from Angelus. The practice that earned him the nickname, the love of a good brawl he acquired, I see those as being via Angelus' tutelage more than anything. Dru was never portrayed as having a thing for physical torture or a love of the explosive, fighting-type violence inherent in Spike's evolving vampy self... I can also kind of imagine Angelus wanting another go at 'bringing up' a male childe after Penn turned out to be such a crappy one-trick pony. *g*
dacian_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Livvie
nutcase

SUMMARY

As Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) and Angel (David Boreanaz) continue the debate of whether or not to charge for their services, Doyle (Glenn Quinn) receives a vision of yet another woman in distress. Angel pays a visit to her workplace and learns that the woman (guest star Tushka Bergen) is being terrorized by her neurosurgeon (guest star Andy Umberger) who is somehow mysteriously able to watch her every move. After some detective work, Angel and Cordelia discover that the doctor is able to disconnect appendages from his body and prey on his victims. But when the doctor pays a visit to Angel's apartment, Angel separates him - permanently. Grateful for the protection, the young woman pays the agency for its service, and a very joyous Cordy and Doyle go out to celebrate. Elisabeth Rohm guest stars.

-From Buffyworld

Food for thought:

What was your least favorite scene?
What line made you roll your eyes?
What would you change if you could?
C/A factor?
Any fics that take place during this episode you'd like to rec?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #36
Livvie
nutcase

So, we've got a pretty slow episode with I Fall To Pieces. It's more of a talk-y episode, a parable to all those girls out there with stalkers, I think. Tbh, I feel like I read too much into this (and Buffy) sometimes. But YAY! Our first brunette DID! And one that seemed to lead a pretty independant and fulfilling life before the stalking.

The line that always makes me chuckle is this exchange:

Cordy: What is stalking now a days – the third most popular sport among men?
Angel: Fourth – after Luge

I also adore that very first outfit Cordy has. The pink top, the calf-length skirt. Just so cute. I want it. LOL

The hands in the bedroom scene is probably my least favorite just cause ewww, it is so so so beyond creepy. Like it's not bad but did they really have to take it that far. And who wouldn't wake up during that?

C/Aness: I have to love that Cordy makes a comment about Angel's black on black outfit and in the next scene, he is wearing a white sweater. Total opposite of black. But I love how concerned she is about him going after Meltzer alone. SO CUTE!

Weirdness: Okay, again with the shit cop Kate. I don't know about the rest of you but if there is a witness to a cop killing, they pick the perp up before the guy can even breathe. They couldn't check his office? His home? Maybe you know, arrest him and hold him for 24 while they get more evidence? Just saying. Also, how did the doctor change her PIN without her being present or having his name on the account? And how does a paralytical work on what is essentially a dead body? It was clearly having SOME kind of effect on Angel.

Inconsistenies: Once more, we've got Angel on the computer, typing away. Also, did anyone notice how specific Doyle's visions are? He always has a name, an address. But when Cordy gets them, it's not even close to that specific. I don't get it. It's the same message. Hers is just more painful.

Fashion choices: The white sweater and then a blue button up at the end.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #37
AngryScientist

In the Dark + I Fall to Pieces

Angel getting tortured is my fave. I am a sick puppy and love to see him suffer. Cordy with the crossbow AND invoices! And SPIKE, yay, Spike! He knows how to make an entrance.

Cordy/Doyle in his apartment. Snore.

"And suddenly I'm so painfully bored."

"Weeping like a baby-man." - That exchange is priceless!

"...your mother... How is your mom, by the way?" - Angel made a funny!

The green screen on the ending scene. Terribly lighting job. And Angel turning away from the sunset when he knows it's his last? What the what?

Angel would find something better to do with the Ring instead of crushing it.

C/A factor?
Spike better pay for that stuff he broke!

Torturer likes kids. Ok, we got it. Stop repeating it, please...

The opening Cordy/Doyle talk right before Angel comes in and their following reactions.

Doyle going to the damsel's work place? Tagging along all day? What?

Cordelia: Did you steal this book?
Angel: *shifty eyes* Yes.
Cordelia: *approves* Yeah.

"You're a lot smarter than you look. Of course, you look like a retard."

Sorry, Kate, I love you but it's your turn: "So judging by your uncomfortableness, I’d say you either about to ask me out on a date, or you need a favor. ...And I’m going to go with favor."

One of the other episodes I love, the guy was creepy, disgusting and NOT a demon. So not many changes there.

C/A factor?
Love the whole scene where they talk around the computer.

Come on, Cordy can't pronounce orthopedia, really now? That wasn't needed at all to push the "common person to relate to" vibe for her. The rest of the convo flows well.
AngryScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #38
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

I was telling Livvie I forgot how boring this episode was, save for a few scenes. So, I really don't have anything to say lol

Scenes I liked:
- Doyle and Cordy's conversation about Angel's attractiveness and coat swishing out the door.
- Doyle admitting he's "attracted" to Angel lol
- Angel taking Cordy's advice about the sweater. See? He cares what his Gal Friday thinks. He KNOWS Cordy knows about style.
- Doyle protecting the client most of the episode. I thought that was sweet

Quote:
The line that always makes me chuckle is this exchange:

Cordy: What is stalking now a days – the third most popular sport among men?
Angel: Fourth – after Luge
LMFAO I love that, too.

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #39
dacian_goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Spike better pay for that stuff he broke!
*gigglesnort* On that note, was it just me or did Spike seem to be tossing inordinate amounts of cutlery about in that scene? Angel takes his well-stocked kitchen very seriously, I guess. ;P
dacian_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #40
tojoson

Cordy looked great, and had a few good Cordyisms, even Angel got in a good one with his luge comment.

Not much good to say about the plot of this episode, It was not my favorite, In fact, it ranks way down on my list, so, I'll just nit-pick a little.

Why could the eye float, but the hand couldn't.
Why did his ear fall off when Angel smashed his teeth.
I wonder if his willie was detachable too--good plot for a pron movie.

I hate when they make characters act stupid to facilitate the story.
It would have made more sense for Doyle to put a blot AND a nut on the trap door, OR a lock.
WHY did Doyle open the trap door, hell, put the bolt back in, put a file cabinet on top of the trap door, Hit the fingers with his ax, but open the door??? That's like "Hey there's a killer in the house, let's split up and find him.

Finally, How did Angel keep from bursting out in flames when Cordy got hold of the check. That smile was brighter than sunshine.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #41
Livvie
nutcase

SUMMARY

Cordelia Chase (Charisma Carpenter) lives in the projects, and she's not happy about it. When she returns one evening to her roach-infested digs, she decides that desperate times callsfor desperate measures and moves into Angel's apartment. Angel, (David Boreanaz) unthrilled by his new roommate situation, makes a pact with Doyle: (Glenn Quinn) if Doyle can find Cordelianew digs, Angel will help him out with his debt negotiations. Doyle holds up his end of the bargain and finds a stunningly beautiful one-bedroom apartment. At first, Cordy's on top of the world,but she soon gets the willies. Drawers open and close, furniture moves, and the wind blows to and fro. After some research, Angel learns that the apartment was owned by a woman who mysteriously died in the 1950s. Even more compelling is the number of single-woman suicides that have occurred in the apartment since her occupation. He and Doyle figure out thatthere is a ghost that is somehow murdering the women. While Angelis away doing research, Cordelia is lured back to the apartmentand is confronted by the apparition. At first she is overwhelmed,but she later gathers her moxie and sends the ghost back to her rightful place. Elisabeth Rohm guest stars.

-From Buffyworld

Food for thought:

C/A factor?
Any fics that take place during this episode you'd like to rec?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #42
Livvie
nutcase

Oh yes, here we go now. One of my favorite episodes of season one. Why? Because we learn so much more about Cordelia. We learn that like the others, she is just looking for redemption for being such a bad person. And it has one of my favorite C/A exchanges of season one.

Angel grabs Cordy and shakes her: “You *do* know what to do. You can stop all this. Do it.”
Cordy pushes him away crying: “I can’t.”
Angel: “Look at you. Are you gonna let her *do* this to you? (Grabs her again) Damn it. You’re Cordelia Chase. Are you just going to lie there like a weakling? Get off your ass and be tough!”

I can't even pick a favorite line because Cordy gets so many good ones in this episode. But let's face it, we all love her speech.

I’m not a sniveling whiny little Cry-Buffy. I’m the nastiest girl in Sunnydale history. - I take crap from no one.

Honestly, I love all the scenes in this episode. From the wet Angel to the apartment hunting to the ghosting. I could have done without the whole let's go to Kate for things we could have looked up online but still. I see why it was there.

C/Aness: Boy howdy do we get some awesome C/A moments. First, Angel seems to know a whole lot about Cordelia during Sunnydale despite not being that interested in her on screen. Then there is of course, when Cordy shows up at Angel's. She just charges right into his life, love it. And he is all walking around in a robe and boxers. Modesty? Who needs it! And his concern for her in this episode, just love it all!

No real weirdness or inconsistencies, except for the peanut butter in the bed thing. Now if I am heard correctly, IWRY was supposed to come earlier in the season and the peanut butter was supposed to be a throwback to that day? (Even though the day never happened so um, yeah, how is that possible if the Oracles turned back time but anyway). Unless I'm wrong?

Fashion choices: Angel, I am disappoint. You were all black for this episode!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #43
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

Your whole write up is totally my thoughts, exactly. So, I'm just going to COSIGN<33

Ugh, I really hope the peanut butter wasn't a "throwback" to IWRY if it was supposed to air earlier. That would totally ruin any C/A fanfic I read with how the peanut butter got on the bed -_-

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #44
tojoson

One of the better episodes of the season coming right after ONE of the worst. Much to love in this episode.

Cordy comes to Angel's apartment--cockroaches with antennas--(just as an aside, in the commentaries, Jane Espenson said that the way CC played the cockroach scene was EXACTLY as she imagined it when she was writing it)

Whiny Cordy when the ghost had her broken. I know it was necessary so that they could show her when she got her bitch on, but I didn't like seeing weak Cordy

A couple, "Listen up Casper'--"It's rent controlled
"I'm not a whiny cry-Buffy"--"All skinny feet and creepy antlers"---"You have mousse? – Of course you do.”--too many more to report.

2 episodes ago, Cordy was in Doyle's apartment, and she said it was much worse that her's, and the apartment in "City Of.." didn't look that bad. Did she move, maybe to be closer to work.

jass whedon wanted to name Cordy's ghost 'Bob' but Jane Espenson prevailed. She wanted 'Phantom Dennis because of the popularity of Star Wars at the time,
you know, Phantom Dennis--Phantom Menace

Last edited by tojoson; 06-11-2010 at 08:35 PM.
tojoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #45
Livvie
nutcase

SUMMARY

Oz (guest star Seth Green) pays a visit to Angel (David Boreanaz) and gives him the Gem of Amarra, the vampire's holy grail that grants eternal protection. Doyle (Glenn Quinn) wants Angel to wear it with pride, but Angel opts to play it safe and hidesit in the underground tunnels. He is soon kidnapped by Spike (guest star James Marsters) and tortured by a child-eating vampire named Marcus. While Angel is enduring the torture, Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) and Doyle locate the gem in the tunnels and quickly conspire Angel's rescue. The rescue goes almost according to plan, but in the scuffle, Marcus manages to obtain the gem and heads for the beach. The group follows him and Angel battleswith him to the death. Deciding that no vampire deserves to see the light of day, Angel smashes the ring with a brick.

-From Buffyworld

SUMMARY

As Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) and Angel (David Boreanaz) continue the debate of whether or not to charge for their services, Doyle (Glenn Quinn) receives a vision of yet another woman in distress. Angel pays a visit to her workplace and learns that the woman (guest star Tushka Bergen) is being terrorized by her neurosurgeon (guest star Andy Umberger) who is somehow mysteriously able to watch her every move. After some detective work, Angel and Cordelia discover that the doctor is able to disconnect appendages from his body and prey on his victims. But when the doctor pays a visit to Angel's apartment, Angel separates him - permanently. Grateful for the protection, the young woman pays the agency for its service, and a very joyous Cordy and Doyle go out to celebrate. Elisabeth Rohm guest stars.

-From Buffyworld

SUMMARY

Cordelia Chase (Charisma Carpenter) lives in the projects, and she's not happy about it. When she returns one evening to her roach-infested digs, she decides that desperate times callsfor desperate measures and moves into Angel's apartment. Angel, (David Boreanaz) unthrilled by his new roommate situation, makes a pact with Doyle: (Glenn Quinn) if Doyle can find Cordelianew digs, Angel will help him out with his debt negotiations. Doyle holds up his end of the bargain and finds a stunningly beautiful one-bedroom apartment. At first, Cordy's on top of the world,but she soon gets the willies. Drawers open and close, furniture moves, and the wind blows to and fro. After some research, Angel learns that the apartment was owned by a woman who mysteriously died in the 1950s. Even more compelling is the number of single-woman suicides that have occurred in the apartment since her occupation. He and Doyle figure out thatthere is a ghost that is somehow murdering the women. While Angelis away doing research, Cordelia is lured back to the apartmentand is confronted by the apparition. At first she is overwhelmed,but she later gathers her moxie and sends the ghost back to her rightful place. Elisabeth Rohm guest stars.

-From Buffyworld