Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Livvie
nutcase

Angel Rewatch Season One

SCHEDULE

June 2: 1.01 City Of
June 4: 1.02 Lonely Hearts
June 5-6: Catch-up
June 7: 1.03 In The Dark
June 9: 1.04 I Fall to Pieces
June 11: 1.05 Rm w/a Vu
June 12-13: Catch-up
June 14: 1.06 Sense and Sensitivity
June 16: 1.07 The Bachelor Party
June 18: 1.08 I Will Remember You
June 19-20: Catch-Up
June 21: 1.09 Hero
June 23: 1.10 Parting Gifts
June 25: 1.11 Somnabulist
June 26-27: Catch-Up
June 28: 1.12 Expecting
June 30: 1.13 She
July 2: 1.14 I've Got You Under My Skin
July 3-4: Catch-Up
July 5: 1.15 The Prodigal
July 7: 1.16 The Ring
July 9: 1.17 Eternity
July 10-11: Catch-Up
July 12: 1.18 Five by Five
July 14: 1.19 Sanctuary
July 16: 1.20 War Zone
July 17-18 Catch-Up
July 19: 1.21 Blind Date
July 21: 1.22 To Shanshu in LA
July 23-31: All season Catch-Up

Season Two starts August 2nd

Last edited by Livvie; 07-01-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Livvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
DamnSkippy

Ooo, a schedule and fanart! Coolio. And, look! We'll be getting to TSILA close to CC's birthday!

(Not to be a Debbie Downer, but today on TNT they showed Apocalypse Nowish. I hope that's not a sign. *shivers*)
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

Yay!!! Grrrr @ Deb mentioning Apocalypse Nowish. IT MEANS NOTHING! LOL

I AM EXCITE ABOUT THIS REWATCH! <33

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
Livvie
nutcase

SUMMARY

Angel (David Boreanaz) moves to L.A., unaware of his purpose in the City of Angels. There, he meets Doyle (Glenn Quinn), his half-man, half-demon spiritual advisor, who gives him much-needed direction. Doyle leads Angel to Russell Winters, a rich and powerful vampire, preying on aspiring actresses. When Winters sets his eyes on Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter), Angel springs into action and saves her.

-From Buffyworld

To get the discussion started, a few questions:

What was your favorite scene?
What was your least favorite scene?
What was your favorite line?
What line made you roll your eyes?
What would you change if you could?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
leobrat

Perfect for the summer!
leobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Livvie
nutcase

Nikki and I just watched City Of at the same time, texting back and forth. Was mucho fun. Would anyone be interested in getting together at the same time Friday nights and maybe do a live chat during the episode?

My favorite scene hands down is the one where Angel gets in the wrong car. It just cracks me up sfm. Best line has to be whatever Doyle says. He has so many good ones in this episode.

The least for me is that Tina is blonde. Another tiny blonde. Why couldn't she have been a redhead. I get that the point wasn't to save Tina but still. However, Angel's conversation about who Russell Winters targets is interesting. He targets girls with no family, no one to care about them. Then Winters targets Cordelia.

C/A-ness: Well, I give it two scenes. First, Cordelia is talking about Angel putting the fear of God into Winters and then Winters won't possibly come after her, right? The next scene is the one where Angel teaches Winters how to fly. Angel could have waited, bided his time, but nope, kills Winters the first chance he can get to protect Cordelia. And second, Cordelia just puts herself right into Angel's life. She tells him how it's going to be. And yes, she causes an Angel smile indirectly when Angel asks Doyle if he thinks Cordelia is a hottie.

Inconsistencies: Oooh boy. We know Angel is an idiot when it comes to cellphones but he is seen having all kind of killer spy gear like the device that blows Winters' powerbox. Also, computer literate Angel? All breaking into the library and using three computers at the same time. And the coffee drinking. Remember when he said coffee made him jittery in BTVS. Seems to have overcome that.

Weirdness: Did anyone else notice there is a BAKERY box in Angel's fridge when Doyle opens the door to see if Angel has anything else to drink besides pig's blood? Why on earth would Angel have a bakery box? Or how about the fact that he can enter Tina's apartment but he still goes to check her pulse? Pretty sure if you can enter, she's dead, bb. And lastly, what kind of detecting is it to pick up the conviently place address book that was on the top of Tina's things. Jeeze, they could have at least tried to put it into her purse, made Angel dig for it.

Fashion choices: Angel, known for black on black, wears a grey sweater and then later, a dark maroon one. (This is just for my own weird record keeping)

ETA: Here is a cap with the bakery box circled: http://i50.tinypic.com/1g18af.png
Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Angel killing Russel. I remember it getting a, "Hell, yeah!" out of me.

Also, "Are you still...Grrrrrr?"

I also enjoyed the scene where Angel jumps in the wrong car. When the show started, I wasn't sure Angel would have enough personality to carry his own series. (And my prediction for AtS was basically 13 and out.) But that was one of the things that started to change my mind about the show and the character.

The one where Angel calls Buffy. I didn't mind it at the time but, now, definitely not a favorite.

"Can you fly?" On rewatch, that gets a, "Hell, yeah!" out of me because I know what's going to happen next.

Also, "Finally! I thought I was going to faint while barfing!" But notice that Cordy stays right there despite her squeamishness, and even bandages Angel's wound, when she easily could've let Doyle do it.

This.

Doyle: "Now wait a minute. I’m not combat ready. I’m just the messenger!"

Angel: "And I’m the message."

Just writing it makes me cringe. So very cheesy.

Well, I actually think it would've been interesting to have a powerful, evil and influential vampire around for a little longer. Most of the vamps we saw were the squatting in tombs/picking out victims at raves variety, who only cared about having vampy fun. A successful vamp businessman had potential. That scene of Winters watching stock market reports while planning his next meal always stands out to me.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
ETA: Here is a cap with the bakery box circled: http://i50.tinypic.com/1g18af.png
Angel is a secret pie eater. The vampire shame is great.

I remember City Of being a great surprise when I saw it the first time. I expected and feared that this spin-off would be awful considering how I was feeling about Angel on BtVS. The brooding had gotten pretty boring and it was hard to imagine a whole show of it.

But when he slowly swung around that bar stool and followed those guys out in slow mo - that coat flapping around him - and then those dual stakes came out of his sleeves...OMG I was in a puddle.

Then Doyle showed up and I was, "Oh, you're going to surround him with lively, fun people to counteract the silent, brooding thing. That'll work." And when Doyle told that homeless lady to "Get a job you lazy sow" after trying to convince people to help the helpless I knew I had TWO characters I was going to like.

And we hadn't even gotten to Cordy, yet!

I won't even go into the Cordy in City Of because every damn thing she did and said was gold. But one of my favorite moments for her was her meditating in her dump of an apartment with the self help book beside her. For me, that said it all. She wasn't going to let anything stop her - not poverty, not starvation and, later, not even possible death by vampire. Love her!

Least favorite moment was the computer in the library scene. We had nothing from BtVS that said Angel knew how to turn on a computer much less surf the net. But, I could have gone with it if they'd ever gone back to that in later eps and not made him such a techno idiot in everything else. So it stands out as an obvious character inconsistency.

Roll your eye moment? Probably the ending with Doyle asking if he's game and the dramatic music begins, the camera zooms, pan of the city, blahblahblah. Too melodramatic for me. I think I laughed.

If I would change anything about that ep I would probably delete any mention of Buffy and definitely get rid of that scene with Angel calling Buffy and hanging up. It was a sign of crossover hell to come and I wish they had just cut the strings from day one.

ITA with your C/A moments, Livvie. I would add meeting at the party - just seeing her there gets the first huge Angel smile of the show. I mean, he's really happy to see her there! *sigh* And the patching up where Cordy's about to faint while barfing. Her hands on his naked chest? Ahem.

City Of is definitely in my top 10 episodes of the show. 4.5 stars!
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Dannyblue
a.k.a. Danielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
Inconsistencies: Oooh boy. We know Angel is an idiot when it comes to cellphones but he is seen having all kind of killer spy gear like the device that blows Winters' powerbox. Also, computer literate Angel? All breaking into the library and using three computers at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
Least favorite moment was the computer in the library scene. We had nothing from BtVS that said Angel knew how to turn on a computer much less surf the net. But, I could have gone with it if they'd ever gone back to that in later eps and not made him such a techno idiot in everything else. So it stands out as an obvious character inconsistency.
I let stuff like this slide when a show is starting out because I know the writers are building the show world as they go along, and there are going to be "growing pains." You can watch pretty much any show and find these kinds of inconsistencies between the early episodes and stuff that's established later. This is especially true of pilots, which are often written and filmed months before the show officially goes into production, and it makes sense that the writers would have new ideas in the time in-between.

And I personally love Angel's technophobia, and am perfectly willing to ignore the computer wizardry (which really just amounted to him looking something up online) in "City Of..."
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
tojoson

Hee. Sawyer as a vamp.

"Can you fly?"

Angel calling Buffy.

A couple of them,
Naturally, "Are you still GRRR?"
And "Hey, I'm from Sunnydale. We had our own hellmouth." like she was proud of it

What made you roll your eyes?
Angel being able to operate 3 computers at once.

Doyle's sneeze demon reveal. Too obvious. Nobody ever sneezed in Angel's apartment again. I would have put it later, maybe when Doyle was waiting in the car for Angel and he was startled by the gun shots.

I love to sit and watch CC work. I think her actions and expressions are all preplanned, like the little quirk on her left cheek after "Are you still grrr?", like she's thinking 'Oops did I just say that? I wonder if he's pissed?' and the way she points at Russell Winters as she's saying "You don't know about him. Oh boy, You're gonna get your ass kicked.

I once read an article written by someone who made a set visit to Angel, He remarked that while others would sit in their chairs, or go to their trailers when they weren't needed, Charisma would be off in a corner, running her lines, or working with props, or getting her expressions down pat. She's a perfectionist. I think every move, every expression, every little gesture and quirk is plotted and planned and rehearsed to make herself more believeable.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Livvie
nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy View Post
Angel is a secret pie eater.
Is it wrong that the FIRST thing that popped into my head was "The only pie he better be eating belongs to Cordy". Yeah, my mind went right to the gutter and I couldn't concentrate on the rest. LOL

(Yeah, yeah, I'm going to hell. LOL I couldn't resist saying this though)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
starbuck42084
Vision Girl

I'm a huge fan of the opening scene. To me, everything about that scene was right. It gave us a peek as to what exactly we were in for, and that the show was much more adult and dark than Buffy. Also, when Angel is standing on top of the building looking across the street into Tina's apartment. Lovely visual.

Honestly, the whole Tina/Angel interaction in his apartment after he saves her from the goons in the parking garage. I never could stand that actress.

"Can you fly?" If I remember correctly, on first watching, I believe the words, "Fuck yeah!" came out of my mouth. And I may or may not have fist pumped the air. *shifty eyes*
And Cordy's whole "hey, you're a vampire" speech. Love that girl.

The whole "Messenger/message" exchange between Angel and Doyle.

Really not much except for maybe not killing Russell off so soon. I agree with DannyBlue that it would have been pretty interesting to see Angel duke it out with this guy a few more times.

Really, all in all, this stands alone as one of my favorite episodes of the series. It really sets up the show nicely, and sets itself apart from Buffy in the first 5 minutes. There are also a few really beautiful camera shots in this one. Walking down the alley in the beginning, Angel on the roof overlooking Tina's apartment, and Cordy and Angel going over the railing in Winters' mansion.

"Ahem. Ladies is pimps too. Go'on brush your shoulders off."

I survive on the breath you are finished with...
starbuck42084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
samsmom

\o/ Rewatch!

I have a few: The first was Angel swiveling on that bar stool in slo-mo, drunk face gone dead serious, and the walk out of the bar. THAT was the moment when I saw Angel as his own character and I thought "I want to know YOU better, hotness." I felt like we were in for somethiing, whereas before, I was there mainly for Charisma. Second would be their meeting at that party - his little smile, her cute "are you still, you know, grrr?". Yumsies. Third is when it seems like, with Tina dead, Angel has nothing left to lose (those exact words uttered), and then we immediately cut to Cordelia (yes, he does have something left). Yeah, baby. Fourth would be the balcony scene, because dammit, it was such a Superman-rescues-Lois moment. I squeed. Last was when Angel asked Winters if he could fly, and then pushed him out of the window with that LOOK on his face. Also, I adore Cordy's attempts to keep her spirits from lagging. This little rich girl from Sunnydale was soley supporting herself, however badly. I was so proud of her.

My least favorite went right over my head the first few times I watched but when Angel called Buffy. It makes sense within the 'verse, having only been a bare three months since he left Sunnydale, and he is a lurker/stalker at heart. But on the other hand, I felt the first episode should have been used to establish who ANGEL was, with no reminders of the parent show. On the whole, they did that, and we had the whole (B/A) exposition from Doyle already, so calling Buffy wasn't necessary.

"Are you still, you know, grrr?" That's so Cordelia.

"She's a stiffner all right." It's such a *guy* thing to say.

The call to Buffy. Everything else was a perfect pilot.

I have to put in a warning here. I know these are going to be EPISODE rewatches but I'm pretty much incapable of noticing non-C/A things so a lot of my squeeing and discussion will probably be based around Cordelia and Angel and their relationship. If you hadn't already noticed it. :P
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
nikkiwawa
wikked lil' grrrl

Everyone pretty much took up my answers lol I'm not going to repeat it all.

I will say that I LOVE that I'm not the only one who LOOOOOOOOOVES the slow-mo chair turn sequence. OMG I love it so much

Cordy/Angel Graphics (A lovely LJ community devoted to Cordy/Angel. Share icons, graphics, etc.)

This Is My Life

My LJ Icon Community
nikkiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
AngryScientist

The opening scene with fake!drunk Angel, kicking vamp ass. Kicking Winters through the window. Saving Cordy from Winters, taking all those bullets and his Batman infiltration routine complete with ropes and grappling hooks and that tight black outfit, yum. Cordy happy in the limo, she looked so innocent. The ending when Cordy pretty much starts AI as an official business.

The episode is extremely good, I really can't pick.

What was your favorite line? /paraphrasing/
"That's a cute little... doggie?"
"... and then I'll share my feelings"
"Are you still... GRR?"
"You're so getting your ass kicked!"
"The story needs some sex is what I'm saying."
"... and you’re not exactly rolling in it Mr. I-was-alive-for-200-years-and-never-developed-an-investment-portfolio."

Anything mentioning Buffy but that's my default setting.

Nothing much. Angel's vamp face make-up. It hurts my eyes when he's chasing Tina out of the office.
AngryScientist is offline   Reply With Quote