Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
AmusingLove

Rumor: Buffy Back?

Got it from imdb.com

"Sarah Michelle Gellar is reportedly in negotiations to bring vampire slayer Buffy back - for a one-off movie.

The 31-year-old actress ended her seven-year run as Buffy on TV in 2003, but a new Hollywood script which will feature the character as a vengeful mum has her interested in making a return.

A source tells ShowbizSpy.com, "There is an idea for a script and to pick the story up with Buffy older and maybe even a mother.

"Michelle is busy with movie projects at the moment but she is excited about the idea. Buffy still has a huge fan base so this is a movie that already has an audience."

I remember James Marsters saying a while back that if they were going to do any movies involving the vamps they needed to do it soon since they aren't suppose to age. Lol. Guess if they go the Mom route our two favorite vamps really were left in the dust, so to speak.

It'd be interesting to say the least, and while I'd love to see EVERYONE (that would never happen) on screen again or at least knowing what's happening with them, I think it's best left to the imagination.
AmusingLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Livvie
nutcase

Nothing against you but every three to six months, there is some rumour floating around about a Buffy movie. I really think for the most part, it's just wishful thinking.

There are a ton of reasons why I think this. The first and foremost being that Buffy wasn't as popular of a show as fans like to think it was. The Sex and The City movie did well because it had a fairly large fanbase/ratings when it aired and strong DVD sales, not to mention all the new fans through syndication. In my city alone, we have three channels that air reruns. Angel only runs on one. Buffy on zero.

Not enough time has passed for it to be considered nostalglia cinema (like Dukes of Hazzard or Charlie's Angels, etc) and I doubt Whedon would do a modern reboot like other shows to movie have done.

The second biggest reason is that Serenity bombed. If it would have done well, I think the studios would have more confidence in another Whedon tv to movie product. It just went to show that cult classics don't always generate the money and that is what it is all about.

Third, is Whedon himself. Dollhouse is dying, Serenity bombed, he got taken off Wonder Woman. If Cabin in the Woods doesn't do blockbuster success, I think he might have to go back to comics and writing/directing for other shows. He's burned a lot of bridges talking to the press and one of those was with SMG herself. I can't see DB coming back as Angel unless they paid him a lot of money. And big budget won't happen for the reasons listed above.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
AmusingLove

I figured if it did come to pass it'd be a tv movie, I mean I love ANGEL and sorta BTVS, but to see them on the big screen is laughable (much like the movies you mentioned, studios need to leave good things alone!). Though I'm sorry if that's offensive.

I kinda thought they'd end up doing a few low budget made-for-tv movies with a couple side characters that he seemed to love so much especially considering the CW can you all the ratings it can get. Lol.
AmusingLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
samsmom

After Bones, I don't think there would be enough money in the world to make DB play Angel again. He tries his best to leave that part of his life in the past and putting on the black duster agaiin wouldn't help.

I also think it would be a bad idea to make a movie. I want to remember the characters they way they were left, with the possibilities of the future open to them (comics canon? Pfft!). I am not interested in whatever kind of torture Whedon would put them through for the sake of a movie script.

And although I adore Spike, I do think James Marters is past the age where he can play Spike.
samsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Dathan
Buttkicking for goodness

I saw this particular rumor the other day but figured it was fake or just that, a rumor. Considering the bad things Whedon did to the cast of Firefly when he got to make Serenity, I would actually hate to see him get the go ahead to make a Buffy movie. I imagine favorite characters would drop like flies.

RIP Gary Gygax, 1938-2008
RIP Michael Turner, 1971-2008
RIP Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
--This year sucks
Dathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
LordKain
Devil Hunter

The only way I'd ever see either David Boreanaz or Sarah Michelle Gellar ever coming back for a movie especially after all the BS Whedon put them through on there own shows would be if the studio making the film paid them 10 to 15 million dollars each and we all know thats not going to happen.

I wish certain websites and critics would learn to let it go because it isn't coming back period. The cast have all moved on and to be honest with you I'd doubt most of them would be that enthusiastic in wanting to work with Joss again.

Last edited by LordKain; 04-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.
LordKain is offline   Reply With Quote