Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
Andromeda7_4

Whedon a GONER??

Anybody see this?

Quote:
GOING, GOING, GONER: Buffyverse ruler Joss Whedon — whose Firefly flick Serenity hits theaters one week from today — has inked a seven-figure deal with Universal to write and direct the fantasy thriller Goner. "It's the story of a young woman's journey that involves a great deal of horror and some heroics," he tells Variety. "It's certainly darker than Serenity, and there are a lot of left turns along the way. It is something I had in mind for a while, and it just poured out of me when I finished my film." Of course, Goner will have to wait until Whedon finishes Warner Bros.' big-screen Wonder Woman flick and (hopefully) gets the ball rolling on that long-rumored Spike TV movie (hint hint, nudge nudge, slap slap).
Wonder if he'll use a newcomer, or one of his favorites?
Hannigan? Acker?
Andromeda7_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
skippcomet

Quote:
"It's the story of a young woman's journey that involves a great deal of horror and some heroics," he tells Variety.
It's so nice to see that Joss hasn't run out of ideas yet.
skippcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
BAfanangelbuffy0

Here is a link to the original Variety article.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...1&s=h&p=0#loop
BAfanangelbuffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
brownsbros3

When will people realize that the Spike TV movie is just a rumor? Does Marsters have some of these reporters on his payroll to keep constantly bringing it up?
brownsbros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
aapac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsbros3
When will people realize that the Spike TV movie is just a rumor? Does Marsters have some of these reporters on his payroll to keep constantly bringing it up?
not a rumour

from joss:

Quote:
You spoke to Tim Minear about writing and directing the Spike movie. Where do things stand?
Things stand that all of the art guys — the people who would be involved artistically — have been trading phone calls going, "Wouldn't this be cool? Wouldn't this be cool?" We don't have a paradigm set up yet. We don't have anything solid to announce. I'm just making sure that the creative people I need are in place before I set up a whole deal and then James Marsters goes, "Gosh, you know? That's kind of behind me now." Or [if] I don't have a writer I can trust, because I don't have time to do it all myself; I need one of my peeps. And there's no greater peep for something like this than Mr. [Tim] Minear. I'm optimistic that I will actually have something to say in the near future, but at this point it's still me and my buddies going, "Wouldn't it be cool?"
it's not set in stone, but it's not a rumour - it is something they're working on - JM has spoken about it as well, as has AA
aapac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
silveragent

If it was real there would be things like a budget, filming schedule, and release date. It might happen. I might win the lottery.
silveragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragent
If it was real there would be things like a budget, filming schedule, and release date. It might happen. I might win the lottery.
Yeah but all movies don't spring into being with these sorts of things already in place. You have to have an idea, a working script, etc... then a lot of times they pin down directors and an actor who's interested and shop it around, right? We know James is interested (and Amy) Sounds like he's trying to get a commitment out of Timmah and some story board set/costuming treatments going.

I ain't holding my breath, but I don't see that it's completely outside the realm of possibility. At least not for another couple of years. They may have to film James through ten layers of cheesecloth to iron out those wrinkles, but right now I can buy that Joss is trying to get the ball rolling.

I just want to see James play Harry Dresden.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
silveragent

True enough PF. I just don't get the payoff. I *understand* why Universal thought Serenity might be worth the while; but not a Spike movie which would cost upwards of $5 million and has IMHO no chance of paying off. I don't get why Fox would care. Sarah yeah cause well she's Buffy and you can book her on Leno what have you and there's your sell. James? I mean, really.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
jerry

I guess I could see the case for a Spike movie if SciFi was going to show it. The WB really doesn't do TV movies, though. Unless they wanted to gauge whether there was interest for a series, which seems unlikely to me.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:10 AM   #10
silveragent

Jerry -- that was sort of my thought but even with Sci Fi IMHO budget crops up. Variety reported Lifetime's model only pays around $3 million for their ultra-cheap, shot in Canada with tax breaks movies, that budget out to $5 million and leave indie producers in the hole (majors like Fox declined). Euro market for them collapsed, and there's no German tax shelter money any more.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
Adrian_Tepes
SPD! Emergency!

Never underestimate Joss's spin jobs and his buddies in high places.
Adrian_Tepes is offline   Reply With Quote