Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > The Cordyverse
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #61
DamnSkippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda7_4
I'd have to disagree- I think that Buffy's love interest automatically became the de facto leading man of BtVS, no matter who it was.
The dramatic focus just shifted to that particular male: Angel, Riley, Spike.
The only time for me that happened was with Spike. Until then, the male lead, IMO, was always Giles (and/or in some aspects Xander). The men in Buffy's lives changed and I never shifted the "lead" position to them until Giles left, Xander got sidelined and Spike took over.
DamnSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #62
Andromeda7_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSkippy
The only time for me that happened was with Spike. Until then, the male lead, IMO, was always Giles (and/or in some aspects Xander). The men in Buffy's lives changed and I never shifted the "lead" position to them until Giles left, Xander got sidelined and Spike took over.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.
I never saw Giles' role as the male lead, because I thought he became increaingly peripheral, much like Xander did. The difference is that Giles played a mentor/boss role and could be considered more important. Still, he gradually faded out to the point where the character was barely in evidence.

Angel was the opposite- he went from a recurring to a regular role; and finally ended up with his own spin-off. Same with Riley (recurring to regular). And then there was Spike.
Andromeda7_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #63
LaLa247
Wooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Gilly
I always thought Angel's girth stole Gunn's cool back in Season 5.
Yeah, have you ever had the feeling of Sprite rushing up your nose? However, it was Angel's big ass head.
Charisma's Bitch #1

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." -- Lucy Lawless

President Bush DID have a sure fire plan to end the war in Iraq, However Chuck Norris was busy that day.
LaLa247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #64
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree, then.
I never saw Giles' role as the male lead, because I thought he became increaingly peripheral, much like Xander did. The difference is that Giles played a mentor/boss role and could be considered more important. Still, he gradually faded out to the point where the character was barely in evidence.

Angel was the opposite- he went from a recurring to a regular role; and finally ended up with his own spin-off. Same with Riley (recurring to regular). And then there was Spike.
I never saw Angel as the true lead. Season one Xander and Giles were just as if not more important, season two that shifted but it was still a strong ensemble though B/A did have a strong arc. Season three despite the continued romance, it felt like they were biding time until they could move DB off. Xanders role became periphery in season three and four, Giles in four and five, but by that time Angel wasn't on the show any more and Riley and Spike were set up as leads, which Spike became by default.

Angel was never the LEAD male. The cast was still at a strong ensemble status during his run. He was just the love interest.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #65
Andromeda7_4

But season 1 was only a partial season.
And yes, at that time Angel was just intended to be a love interest who was there for a few episodes and then moved on.
But that never happened. Instead, his role became increasingly dominant.
And I would argue that by the early episodes of season 2, Angel was considered the male lead by much of the fanbase.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #66
psychofilly
*My* Angel eats nuns.

Quote:
But season 1 was only a partial season.
And yes, at that time Angel was just intended to be a love interest who was there for a few episodes and then moved on.
But that never happened. Instead, his role became increasingly dominant.
And I would argue that by the early episodes of season 2, Angel was considered the male lead by much of the fanbase.
Possibly in season two, but that's the only one. By three his role again diminished, so acting like Sarah was the be all end all female lead for Angel to me speaks more about what DB *thinks* his importance was than how important he actually was on the show.

The show ran for four more years without him. In the grand scheme of things, he wasn't that important to Buffy (the show).
Old 09-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #67
Andromeda7_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofilly
The show ran for four more years without him. In the grand scheme of things, he wasn't that important to Buffy (the show).

I agree.
Nevertheless, I think if you were to ask fans to name the leading male character on BtVS during the first three seasons, nine out of ten would name Angel, rather than Giles or Xander. JMO.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #68
raregem

Quote:
I agree.
Nevertheless, I think if you were to ask fans to name the leading male character on BtVS during the first three seasons, nine out of ten would name Angel, rather than Giles or Xander. JMO.

I wouldn't call Angel the lead man ever on Buffy. In season 1 he wasn't even in the credits. In the beginning of season 2 he showed up only when they needed to rescue Buffy, and in the 2nd half he made small appearances. In Killed by Death he was only in 2 scenes. In Go Fish he was in 1 scene. In the beginning of season 3 he had 1 scene per episode. And even when he did show up for long periods of time Buffy was still the main figure. He was a main character but I always saw Xander and Giles as the leads until season 6.
raregem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #69
That*clown

Location: suburban D.C.-supplied with a different breed of demons
Quote:
I agree.
I think you're right in saying, however, that if you asked the fans the general perception would be that Angel was the male lead for three seasons. Not that the fans would be right but that is, I think, what most viewers thought.

Go, me.
That*clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #70
Marie

I have to agree with DS.

I lways saw Giles as the true male lead, and Angel as the temp Male interest. Afterall, where would BTS be without Giles??
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:26 AM   #71
sarahk_4005
sarahk_4005

Red face just to let you know

that I've just read through this thread, laughing my ass off because...I've downloaded alot of interviews of DB from Setje's site and I'm beginning to wonder about the "boy" in a good way .

And the fact that other people on this board have been saying "shhh David" just sit and look pretty seems to make perfect sense.

In my humble opinion, any early interviews (anything pre 2004) DB seems a little, well, "out there" or is that DB being shy? He's either saying something completely unconnected with the question asked or figetting so much and squirming that I want to tell him to "sit still".

I sometimes wonder which braintrust thought it would be good for him to be interviewed in the first place.

All it takes is for the host/hostess to ask him like one question about Angel or Buffy and then he's off and running verbally...sometimes I sit there cringing watching him.

But he also delivered another ripper to one interviewer who told him, that he (DB) should talk to the writers of the show (Angel), ask the writers to get rid of his curse and also to get some good looking women on the show and DB just sat there, I think he may have repeated the line "good looking women" and didn't say anything in Sarah Michelle Gellar's or Charsima's defence. I couldn't believe it, I almost felt like punching him out and then reasoned that he really must be daft.

Tall, handsome, well hung (or so the board says) and daft, well you can't have everything...

take care, sarahk_4005
sarahk_4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:37 AM   #72
angdelia
Scratch the Surface

Quote:
In my humble opinion, any early interviews (anything pre 2004) DB seems a little, well, "out there" or is that DB being shy?
I think he's shy. He already said he was and I believe him because I am too and I always say incredibly stupid thing when I'm under pressure but now he's better.

Sanity? Pfft, what's that?
angdelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #73
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk_4005
In my humble opinion, any early interviews (anything pre 2004) DB seems a little, well, "out there" or is that DB being shy?
Change shy to high and you might be right, after all the boy is a dead head
Old 11-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #74
sarahk_4005
sarahk_4005

Cool shy?

is shy? really the same person, who let someone paint his naked body and then posed naked and painted for photos?

is shy? the same person who posed "naked" for photos in a bathtub?

is shy? the same person who had posed for a set of photo's in a wet white shirt and then a black muscle shirt?

just wondering ~ what is the definition of shy for DB?

take care, sarahk_4005
sarahk_4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #75
angdelia
Scratch the Surface

Well... for the paint thing, he probably needed the money.

You can see that he wasn't as confident in his old interviews, or maybe it's just me.

He's shy... but we all know DB is far from prude. I'm really not complaining

Sanity? Pfft, what's that?
angdelia is offline   Reply With Quote