Register Control Panel Search FAQ/Help/Guide Memberlist Forum Calendar The Stranger Things Store Home Stranger Things Home

Go Back   Stranger Things Forum > Main > TV Party! > TV Class Reunion!
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #31
tojoson

It's official.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/dollhouse-canceled.html
Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #32
aikakone
SpunkyMisunderstoodGenius

So what was that for? (Renewing to season 2) To keep the inevitable whining at bay until the inevitable cancel?

I actually liked the Sierra-centric episode once I saw it, by the way.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
What do you call a bunch of militant CC fans? A Charis-militia!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #33
jerry

I enjoy the show enough that I'm glad FOX gave it another season, but I still have no idea what reason they thought they had for believing the ratings would improve.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #34
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
...but I still have no idea what reason they thought they had for believing the ratings would improve.
Especially when they put it on Friday's schedule, with no real companion piece. Even putting it on after Bones would have been better than isolating it the way they did.

That said, the show never did make much sense, so cancellation isn't all Fox's fault.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
Livvie
nutcase

How can anyone blame Fox for cancelling an underpreforming show? It's not their fault if they want to put something in the Friday slot that might actually get viewers.

There are other shows that do well on Fridays. Off the top of my head, Monk and Psych. USA loves the Fridays. Ghost Whisperer is on Fridays and it does well with no lead-in. Numbers does okay on Fridays. Supernanny and WifeSwap have been on Fridays forever and their numbers are decent.

I know people are saying Fox buried Dollhouse on Friday nights but if the show was good and could draw an audience, it doesn't matter where they move it. Bones and House have gotten moved all over the schedule and their audience stays with them.

The problem is what it always comes down to in these situations, ratings. They gave it a second season to find an audience and sadly, it didn't. Why should they continue to dump money into a losing franchise? How long should they have held out for it find an audience?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #36
aikakone

I don't disagree with what you wrote, Livvie. I just feel rather suspicious if FOX was actually supporting the show. It seemed like renewing was a placating move more than anything else.

That probably makes me sound like one of those "Joss can do no wrong" people. I'm not in that camp.

I wonder at Eliza, too. I was in a music/movies store about two weeks ago and came across the Tru Calling series DVD. Maybe she's just not strong enough to be a show lead. It's a trend of two, at least.
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #37
jerry

I think Eliza was ill-suited to this particular role, as she's really not the most versatile of actresses. But I don't think she's the reason the show didn't work. Nor was FOX, although they did some things that made it's success less likely. It really comes down to Joss. Not that he didn't do good work, because for the most part he did, but because he seems ever-less-capable of aiming for something a large audience wants to watch. Joss could probably be running something like "V" that is likely to succeed, if he really wanted to and did his best to get a network to trust him with it. He doesn't seem interested in or capable of doing that. The alternative is to shoot in Vancouver or Australia and work for SyFy, but he doesn't seem to have gone for that so far, either, so he remains in a pattern of getting cancelled by FOX.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #38
cherelli

I wished they would have kept The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I felt it was stronger.

I also agree that Eliza is better in an ensemble.

I loved Tru Calling.
cherelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #39
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvie View Post
It's not their fault if they want to put something in the Friday slot that might actually get viewers.
No one's blaming Fox for putting something on on Friday that people would want to watch. The puzzle is everyone already knew that wouldn't be Dollhouse, so why bother?

Anyway, as I already said, the fault is as much with the show as with Fox, so there you go.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #40
Livvie
nutcase

I just still don't think it's right to blame Fox at all. They ran promos for Dollhouse during their big shows. When it was after T:TSCC they did those Summer and Eliza hosted interstatials. They did promote it. I saw promos during House, during TMZ, etc.

It speaks volumes of the show when House and Bones RERUNS are beating it's numbers in the same timeslot. It wasn't the timeslot that was the issue going by that.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #41
SamIAm
It's all about Cordy.

Three things:

1) Apparently it's impossible for Denisof and Dushku to be in the same episode without one beating the crap out of the other.

2) Geek love is even better when it's evil geek love.

3) Topher is far more annoying when someone else plays the character.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #42
Syn
insane clown girl

It's a shame this got cancelled, mostly because it's getting good, and complicated, which I like. I loved Victor-as-Topher, actually. It was a spot-on impersonation. Enver is a fantastic actor, and I really hope I see him in tons of other things soon.

Umm...was that scene in the bathroom between Echo and Perrin supposed to be as sexy as it was? Cuz yeah. I think it was that long-buried (but definitely, most definitely) not dead Faith/Wesley shipper in me just liked seeing them together again. Eliza and Alexis always had amazing chemistry, and I'm glad they played with that. And I was tickled for the obvious reasons that the senator's wife's name is Cindy. He totally shouted my name. :P (my fantasy world is pretty, dammit)

Summer Glau is made of win, and that's all I have to say about that. Also, I liked that the D.C. actives are named after the Greek pantheon. Very interesting.

This week's episodes...whoa. Adelle found her balls again--and coated them in steel. She's such a gray character, which is why she's such an interest to watch. She really could do anything and fall on any side of a given situation.

No one seems to like Topher but me. I'm not sure why I do--he's annoying and just a bit...I don't know if skeevy is the right word? But I do like him, and he's starting to get a conscience whether he wants to or not. He's also very protective of his Dolls, a development that disturbs him, I think. He's not used to looking at them as people, and since that whole Sierra/Priya thing he's changed his outlook.

There really is nothing better than Alpha's crazy ass. Shallow as it is, they got him to show off his arms again--and I thank them--which made me gasp and swoon. I'm serious, there should be sonnets written about Alan's arms. I'm intrigued to see if we'll see him again before they burn off the remaining episodes, since he has Ballard's mind in him now...

But yeah. I'll miss this show, but in "well, I knew this was coming" sort of way. Le sigh.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #43
Kea

Quote:
I wished they would have kept The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I felt it was stronger.-cherelli
You said it cherelli!!! I will never understand why FOX brought back Dollhouse instead of TSCC.

So I am not surprised at all it got canceled.

But who knows about TSCC since the Terminator franchise is being auctioned off. See article at: http://www.savethescc.com/news/2009/...auctioned-off/
Kea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
aikakone

Over Christmas break, I watched episodes 6-10 thanks to the wonders of Hulu.

I really liked where the show went, and I agree with a SciFi Wire post that said this should have been season 1. It made the characters much more interesting.

Drunk Adele was weird. I didn't think they'd go in that direction. She's one of those you always wonder what her motive is. Definitely a grey character.

Love Boyd. Always have. Just feel like typing that again.

Alexis looks yummy shirtless. And I thought the bathroom scene was sexy, too, and that's not because I had any previous Faith/Wesley fandom. It was sexy because it IS sexy. (And so I've spoken... or whatever.)

Loved seeing "Mr. Dominick" back again. That actor's a hoot, and of course it would make sense to see him in the attic.

As the episodes went on, Ir ealized I actually liked Echo, this newer, self-aware Echo a lot better than the Caroline that we've seen. I find it interesting that she doesn't want to die or go away, just like Claire who didn't want to go back to being merely Whiskey.

Also... as beautiful as Alan and Tahmoh are, their jaws looked weird in that Alpha episode. (Oh, and Alan in a suit = hot.)
Wesley Brigadier #9
Team Cordy #245
Old 12-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
Morrigan
Who Da Man?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kea View Post
You said it cherelli!!! I will never understand why FOX brought back Dollhouse instead of TSCC.

So I am not surprised at all it got canceled.

But who knows about TSCC since the Terminator franchise is being auctioned off. See article at: http://www.savethescc.com/news/2009/...auctioned-off/
From what I've read around the net, FOX kept DH over T:SCC because DH was cheaper to produce.